Oil Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Oil Question

I went to my dealer today to have my first oil/filter change. I have 620 miles on the OD. I'm sorry if this question has been answered but I tried Googling and there wasn't a clear answer. When I asked the service manager what oil is put into a 2015 Mustang GT at the factory he said conventional oil. I really find this hard to believe. So I ask what did HE recommend, he said Mobil1. So now I'm really confused. I asked about the Motorcraft synthetic and he said it's a dollar more with a wink. Then he tells me the 5.0 engine is broken in at the factory, and that a break-in for the engine wasn't really needed.

When I picked up my car it had 2 miles on it.

Did he give me the straight scoop or was he feeding me a line?
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
There are so many different schools of thought on this. People have analyzed their oil after 1,000 miles and have found no contaminates (metals), while others have. The manual states you should fluctuate speed in order to break in the engine for a period of time.

I'm no expert, but if you plan on keeping your ride for a long time why not break it in easy and change the oil often? What's the risk there? That's what I'm going with...

As for synthetic vs conventional - the theory is that synthetic provides better, longer lasting protection and lubrication for your engine.

Check it out: https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...nventional-oil

Again, I'm no expert but what's the risk in running synthetic?

-Adam

5.OH
VTHokiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiez View Post
There are so many different schools of thought on this. People have analyzed their oil after 1,000 miles and have found no contaminates (metals), while others have. The manual states you should fluctuate speed in order to break in the engine for a period of time.

I'm no expert, but if you plan on keeping your ride for a long time why not break it in easy and change the oil often? What's the risk there? That's what I'm going with...

As for synthetic vs conventional - the theory is that synthetic provides better, longer lasting protection and lubrication for your engine.

Check it out: https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...nventional-oil

Again, I'm no expert but what's the risk in running synthetic?

-Adam

I believe in the change oil often school. What I would like to know is: Does Ford ship Mustang GTs with synthetic or conventional oil from the factory?

5.OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Wise move on oil change early I use 5-50 full syn. what is called for on oil cap and in book. BTW its FMC oil.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I know Corvettes come from the factory with Mobil 1. I use synthetic oil in all my motors. Including the push mower. Like I said the service manager tells me Mustangs come with conventional oil. What's driving me batty is I can't find is that's true!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
it's probably the semi-synthetic 5w-20. What does your oil cap say?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Good question. I will look in the morning.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a New Ford 150 Truck in 2014. I was going to change it to Mobile 1 also, but talked to the service manager first. He said my new truck came with the new Ford Synthetic Blend oil. So I can't imagine my new 2015 GT is any different. I will check to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Footpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Ugh.

The Mustang comes filled with Ford Synthetic Blend 5W-20. It takes 8-glorious quarts of oil with a filter change.

As to the Broke-In comment, No, the engine is not broke-in from the factory. They test fire a random selection of engines at the engine plant, and every car and engine gets fired up, warmed up, and driven short distances before reaching the consumer, which is usually enough to spot big oops from the factory.

Oil change Intervals are 10,000 miles in general. Read the manual for more detailed information regarding that.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Ugh.

The Mustang comes filled with Ford Synthetic Blend 5W-20. It takes 8-glorious quarts of oil with a filter change.

As to the Broke-In comment, No, the engine is not broke-in from the factory. They test fire a random selection of engines at the engine plant, and every car and engine gets fired up, warmed up, and driven short distances before reaching the consumer, which is usually enough to spot big oops from the factory.

Oil change Intervals are 10,000 miles in general. Read the manual for more detailed information regarding that.
Oil filer cap just says "Motorcraft".

I will watch the oil color and probably change it again around 3,000 miles. Then maybe go to 5,000 for future changes.

Staying with Mobil1 5-20 as per owners manual.

I also added a passenger side JLT oil separator this weekend. I drove about 75 miles today and there was some, not much, but enough to prove an oil separator is worth the price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT