OBD II Lock--- I'm looking for a lock to place into or on the OBD so when a ... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
OBD II Lock--- I'm looking for a lock to place into or on the OBD so when a ...

I'm looking for a lock to place into or around my 2015 GT OBD so when I visit a dealer for service, they don't do an update or firmware update without me knowing about it. I've done some searches but have not found anything worth buying.

Any assist would be helpful

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
retiredf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Only suggestion I can make is take it to some place else. You need the OBD II.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
We have this product ... it won't lock it ... but it clearly tells them not to flash it:

Steeda Billet OBD II Port Cover - Made in USA 555-1260 | Free Shipping!

And our unit is made right here in the U.S.A.

Hope that helps

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Ok, I stand corrected. Funny thing is I thought if anyone had something like this it would be Steeda.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredf5 View Post
I'm looking for a lock to place into or around my 2015 GT OBD so when I visit a dealer for service, they don't do an update or firmware update without me knowing about it. I've done some searches but have not found anything worth buying.

Any assist would be helpful

Here is one from American Muscle....$14.99 Take off 6% and Free Shipping.

Performance Mustang OBDII Port Cover - Free Shipping
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Steeda... Yup saw that but want one that locks. Most Ford dealers where I live automatically plug into the OBD as a check in service to ck battery condition etc and give you a printout of the results . . . . including an overhead computer system that cks your four wheel alignment and prints it out.
Some of my friends have bragged after visiting their Ford dealer with their new cars that they received an update via the OBD for a problem the factory found. This Flash without asking also happened to two of my Honda friends.

Just trying to prevent problems caused by an over zealous tech who wants to plug in.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I will send your feedback to my engineering team ... based on your feedback, well see if we can re-examine the design.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 06-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Steeda . . . If you can do that . . . You can take the following week off with pay

Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
...I am wonder what it is, specifically, you are worried about a dealer doing to your car.?. I hate for anyone to touch my car. Let alone going for a test drive or even bringing it out to me. Never, if I can help it...
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
...I am wonder what it is, specifically, you are worried about a dealer doing to your car.?. I hate for anyone to touch my car. Let alone going for a test drive or even bringing it out to me. Never, if I can help it...
He literally said what he was worried about in his original post lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

To ddtmoto..... Here Are a couple of direct manual quotes that may help answer your question:

1- The Seller recommends that the Buyer temporarily remove this product from his/her vehicle when having the vehicle serviced by a dealership or other service facility. Failure to do so may cause erroneous diagnostic readings or misdiagnosis of vehicle problems. The Seller assumes no liability for failure to do so.

2- SCT does not recommend using this device with any other tuning module or device that modifies the vehicle PCM parameters, increases horsepower, torque or modifies transmission characteristics.
Before taking your vehicle to the dealer service department for any type of service or warranty work, you should first return the vehicle back to the stock configuration. Check engine warning lights can be reset by simply unplugging the battery cables from the battery for 5-10 minutes. Diagnostic trouble codes can also be read and cleared through the “Vehicle Info” menu.

Regardless if you are running a tune or not, if not then you dont want one added unless you know what its for. If you are running a tune weather its basic or a specialized one that the dealer could overwrite or modify your tune.... You dont want anybody screwing what you have.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Essentially this:

Quote:
This OBD II port cover will ward-off any dealers or shops from reprogramming your Mustang, which would over write your aftermarket performance tune and render your expensive tuner useless. - See more at: Steeda Billet OBD II Port Cover - Made in USA 555-1260 | Free Shipping!
Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 06-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Precisely! But taking it one more step, by having a Steeda 'lockable' OBD cover , it prevents any new rookie tech from pulling off the cover and doing his thing.

Then it becomes the owner's problem to figure out what just happened and pay the price to get it hopefully corrected.

Bet you even money when Steeda puts a lockable one on the market, they will sell a ton of them if properly advertised starting with previously Steeda tune owners.

What do you think?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Why don't you ask the tech, if there are any firmware or updates? If so, decide whether you want them or not.

You sound a lot PARANOID! You can always reload your tune.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:16 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

PARANOID ??? Never, just trying to prevent problems before they happen. If you accidentally get overwritten you may even have problems getting out of the shop or dealer. Take a look at tj@steeda statement a few messages up.

What may get written up by the appointment desk as to what service you want may not always be follow to the letter by the tech.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, you could always not take you're pony into the stealership for maintenance. There are other auto places out there that can provide maintace such as oil changes, tire rotations, air filters, cabin filters, brakes, etc.

The mechanics at the stealerships don't have any awesome mechanical god like powers over a mechanic from say another shop. Just saying! Just a thought since this is a big concern to you.

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I agree, you dont have to go to the dealer for service but there are always reason why folks do that. Personally. I been going to this dealer for three years for oil, filter and tires rotate on my cans that the tires are square.

I bring my own oil, they provide the filter and I get charged $15 for the whole service excluding tire rotation where it applies.

Since I bought several cases of Mobil 1 at an ungodly low price 15 months ago, that why I bring my oil.

Two tsb on my other 12 GT 5.0 where handled at no costs. I have also gotten to know two of the techs very well and they know what I want and normally get checked.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I think someday the guys in the white coats will come to visit you.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You will learn in time that its better to be ProActive than Reactive!!

Old 06-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would think that something like this would be fairly easy to do yourself. Just remember that in order to plug in any OBD II reader you have to have the entire port available. So I would think you could install a latch to cover part of or the entire port. Or if you dont want to make holes in the plastic you can always remove it put some kind of chain link to cover it to where it's tight enough to where you cant plug it in.

At the end of the day nothing is going to be built proof that you install to the point where it couldn't be torn out. But in my mind if you did the homemade lock and maybe the cover saying 'do not flash' then it would avoid the situation where a tech is careless and removes the cover without reading it. And it would be more negligent where is he going through extra effort to take apart your interior to plug in the OBD II machine. But at the end of the day a certain level of trust has to be placed in them if your handing them your keys.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #21

Region: Maryland
I see the sense in a lockable OBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
Everyone that has a keyless starting car should be very concerned and will want a lockable OBD! It takes a thief 2 minutes to re key a blank keyfob. The tool to do this can be obtained overseas for $200 dollars and it does the re keying through the OBD port! So yes everyone should want a locked OBD cover on that port. Lest you might as well post a steal me sign on your car.
Cjamke is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT