Ford should have had this from the factory --- no more prop rod!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,598
Ford should have had this from the factory --- no more prop rod!!

I was actually surprised that a car that cost as much as the GT premium still had a prop rod for the hood. The hood is on the heavy side, the prop rod is way long and the hole to put it in is WAAAAAAY over there across the hood. It also restricts access when you are cleaning/working around the engine compartment.
The modification to install hydraulic prop rods is a no-brainer -- first thing any new Mustang owner should install.
I got the Redlines, and their install video is excellent. I went slowly and carefully, and still had them on the car in less than 1/2 an hour. They look and work great, and they even relax their force when the hood is going down so that the last foot or so is unassisted and you can easily slam the hood. Great product, and if you have not done this for yourself, you should strongly consider doing so......they even open the hood further than where the hood sat on the stock prop rod. Its also a very nice touch that Redline now includes the shaped drill bit for doing the exact right sized hole you need to drill in the battery cover. That is a class addition that they would not have needed to do.



Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jbone007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 435
Agree, one of my 1st few mods!! Got mine from AM!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 11.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	187088  
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,598
Got mine from CJ's...........both are good vendors.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Smoked50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Prairieville
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 124
Agreed, I have the Steeda
Smoked50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
scurfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lewisburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 449
I agree the Redline hood struts are excellent.
I would also suggest a JLT oil separator too. Surprising how much oil would be sucked back into your manifold.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I agree the Redline hood struts are excellent.
I would also suggest a JLT oil separator too. Surprising how much oil would be sucked back into your manifold.
Thanks, I'll take a look........might you have the link to where you got yours?
Thanks!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
scurfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lewisburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look........might you have the link to where you got yours?
Thanks!
Yes sir! JLT Performance Mustang Oil Sep Pass Side GT/Boss 302 2011-15

And yes I wrote a review but I do NOT receive any compensation from CJ Pony Parts.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Smoked50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Prairieville
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I agree the Redline hood struts are excellent.
I would also suggest a JLT oil separator too. Surprising how much oil would be sucked back into your manifold.
Agree the JLT oil seperator is next on my list..
Smoked50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I was actually surprised that a car that cost as much as the GT premium still had a prop rod for the hood. The hood is on the heavy side, the prop rod is way long and the hole to put it in is WAAAAAAY over there across the hood. It also restricts access when you are cleaning/working around the engine compartment.
The modification to install hydraulic prop rods is a no-brainer -- first thing any new Mustang owner should install.
I got the Redlines, and their install video is excellent. I went slowly and carefully, and still had them on the car in less than 1/2 an hour. They look and work great, and they even relax their force when the hood is going down so that the last foot or so is unassisted and you can easily slam the hood. Great product, and if you have not done this for yourself, you should strongly consider doing so......they even open the hood further than where the hood sat on the stock prop rod. Its also a very nice touch that Redline now includes the shaped drill bit for doing the exact right sized hole you need to drill in the battery cover. That is a class addition that they would not have needed to do.



Kelleniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blue302's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Coatesville
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 36
I ordered the Redline stainless steel struts, can't wait to put them on. I agree they should be standard for higher trim levels


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Blue302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,530
I've hated that damn hood stand on my car since the first time I saw it. I've got Roush hood struts ready to be installed, hopefully this weekend. Just makes a car look so cheap.
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
scurfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lewisburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I've hated that damn hood stand on my car since the first time I saw it. I've got Roush hood struts ready to be installed, hopefully this weekend. Just makes a car look so cheap.
Absolutely! Hood struts should be standard.

I put a Steeda G-Trac K-member brace on my Mustang, just because it's a convertible. Why were there threaded holes towards the the front of the frame from the factory? It was as if Ford knew people would add the brace.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,260
The JLT oil separator is junk. Why don't yall do some research vs going after everything someone else thinks works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
scurfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lewisburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The JLT oil separator is junk. Why don't yall do some research vs going after everything someone else thinks works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I have caught oil in my JLT separator. I was surprised how much there was too. There are other makes of oil separators if you think the JLT is junk.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,260
I know it's junk.
But it's your car. That's what separates the real cars and the "I think I know " cars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Every car my family has had that had the hydro prop rod has stopped working. Is this a normal occurrence later down the road?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I have caught oil in my JLT separator. I was surprised how much there was too. There are other makes of oil separators if you think the JLT is junk.
The JLT has been proven in tests to be one of the least effective cans.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The JLT oil separator is junk. Why don't yall do some research vs going after everything someone else thinks works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
You thinkin' Bob's?

I wonder what the weight difference is between having a skinny little rod holding the hood up, or using two massive, oil filled, hydraulic cylinders to do the infrequent job of holding the hood open.

We are all about performance here at ME, gentlemen...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You thinkin' Bob's?

I wonder what the weight difference is between having a skinny little rod holding the hood up, or using two massive, oil filled, hydraulic cylinders to do the infrequent job of holding the hood open.

We are all about performance here at ME, gentlemen...
And not to mention in the winter time my Maxima good really enjoyed dropping on my head while I did stuff. Wonder if I can sue Nissan for brain damage.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
And not to mention in the winter time my Maxima good really enjoyed dropping on my head while I did stuff. Wonder if I can sue Nissan for brain damage.
The trunk lid on my Mustang does the same thing to me! Soon, I am going to start wearing a bicycle helmet everywhere that I go, to prevent any further brain damage. I'm gonna get a sticker to put on the front of the helmet that says, "Hi. My name is Straybullitt".

Of course, those struts will eventually fail, like all of the rest of them, and will get replaced after a few good bumps on the head while checking the oil.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
My uncle gave me this nifty little thing that looked like a big fishing weight but it had a screw down clamp in it. If you out that sucker on right below the strut that thing would stay there forever.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 25
light, strong, simple, never wears out and hits you in the head.
I like the prop-rod.
Kelleniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: san antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 133
Hood lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone007 View Post
Agree, one of my 1st few mods!! Got mine from AM!
Mine are still resting in the trunk, but I will be getting to it pretty soon--as soon as I corner my son in-law.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Don't have any first hand experience with a JLT oil separator, but the one I built from using a simple air compressor water separator worked. I tracked the car on weekends, and drove it daily to work. In a weeks time (250 miles a week), I'd have a couple of tablespoons of oil in the glass; enough for me to value the ten dollar water separator in keeping that oil from the intake/throttle plate.

As to a prop rod verses an aftermarket hydraulic unit, I can only guess it had to do with cost. While we may think a few dollars is not much, Ford see's it has thousands installed. We already complain with the cost of what we pay for a car these days, so they cheap out on accessories to keep their costs down. A little here, a little there, adds up.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Smoked50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Prairieville
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 124
So if the JLT doesn't work what does for a NA motor?
Smoked50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked50 View Post
So if the JLT doesn't work what does for a NA motor?
UPR or Bob's catch cans. I've heard the PCV valve from the 3.5 ecoboost F150 from 13+ works well as a good replacement for the factory PCV, with less blow by.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
BLKBETTY13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Joliet
Region: Illinois
Posts: 213
Breathers


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:09 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked50 View Post
So if the JLT doesn't work what does for a NA motor?
Make your own. Get a simple water trap that's used for air compressors, add two barbed fittings to it's inlet and outlet, then splice this to the existing line that runs from the intake tube to the engines faux valve cover.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
scurfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lewisburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I know it's junk.
But it's your car. That's what separates the real cars and the "I think I know " cars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Then there are quite a few "I think I know cars" out there. Look I have the separator on my car, and collects oil as it should. And, my car is as real as yours.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Then there are quite a few "I think I know cars" out there. Look I have the separator on my car, and collects oil as it should. And, my car is as real as yours.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Doubt that last statement very highly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Then there are quite a few "I think I know cars" out there. Look I have the separator on my car, and collects oil as it should. And, my car is as real as yours.
The problem is it doesn't collect enough. Check your return line and you'll see what I mean.


Do the Redine struts requiring trimming of the battery box to fit on the 15's?
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blue302's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Coatesville
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The problem is it doesn't collect enough. Check your return line and you'll see what I mean.


Do the Redine struts requiring trimming of the battery box to fit on the 15's?

Yes, the Redlines require drilling a hole through the plastic battery cover. I haven't installed yet but watched a video on CJ Pony Parts website


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Blue302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
scurfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lewisburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 449
The new UPR catch can is better than the JLT I bought. Even so I'm draining a couple of tablespoons of oil every couple of weeks.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
hctr154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Conroe
Region: Texas
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBETTY13 View Post
Breathers


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yes. ..just a quick wipe down every couple of weeks is all the upkeep required. Looks kinda cool in my opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437597384477.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	187781   Click image for larger version

Name:	1437597417504.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	187782  

__________________
2013 GT A6
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
randyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Garden Grove
Region: California
Posts: 54
A lot of track vehicles use to tie down the hoods. I think that's part of the reason no struts. Plus the mustang is like a Harley, they want to make a lot of parts so people can customize their ride... Just my initial thought


2015 Mustang GT premium
Magnetic grey 5.0
randyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have the no-drill hydraulic prop rods for the hood? Guard 5.0 2015 Mustang GT 12 07-07-2015 07:25 AM
Poly, Rod, or Poly/Rod panhard bar? Mustang Coyote 2011-2014 Mustang GT 2 12-19-2014 12:03 PM
Hood Prop PonyBoy415 2011-2014 Mustang GT 12 10-10-2013 01:18 PM
2010 HD V-Rod Muscle :: 2010 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle Jetag93 Member Garages 0 08-12-2012 06:47 PM
Hood Prop OIF2007Mustang Mustang Audio & Video 8 09-14-2010 10:02 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:58 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.