GT has developed, not a "tick" but a "ting" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
GT has developed, not a "tick" but a "ting"

I've searched and read several threads about the dreaded 5.0 "tick" and even listened to the videos of those who have it. I know what the "tick" sounds like.
If you've ever listened to the metallic sound that your exhaust makes as it cools down after shutting the car off? --- more of a soft metal "tang" or "tink"............our new 2015 with 3,500 miles has started making this noise on startup. The noise solely comes out of the passenger side tailpipe, where it even echoes out and is loudest at the tailpipe. It cannot be heard all of the time, and seems to be related to startup and being in gear at lower rpm's.
Anyone else ever heard this from their's?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
exhaust/engine heat up noise? does it go away after engine is warm? Intermittent?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
exhaust/engine heat up noise? does it go away after engine is warm? Intermittent?
No, it has happened when the engine is full warm, like after a run on the freeway -- then driving slowly past a wall, I can hear it.
Seems to be the loudest at warm startup after the engine has been sitting for a couple of hours, but it's not fully cooled. Literally sounds like two pieces of small metal being tapped together somewhere in the right side exhaust....a soft metallic "ting". There is no noise out of the left side pipe at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Are you in a high humidity area? Condensation off ac or cooling system? I'm in GA and my car nearly pisses on my drive.

Yes it's fast, no you can't drive it.
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Are you in a high humidity area? Condensation off ac or cooling system? I'm in GA and my car nearly pisses on my drive.

Don't think so --- our humidity here is as dry as anywhere (typically under 20%).....and I know the sound of the AC dripping....that's a HISSSS....TINKG!, and this is for sure a metal on metal sound and echoes INSIDE the right exhaust. You can actually hear it echoing down the pipe, making it a hollow sound as well.
And the car seems to run just fine otherwise.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Have you done any exhaust mods? Now you have my curious.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Have you done any exhaust mods? Now you have my curious.

Nope, stock as a rock...........and thank you for your interest. The sound is somewhat intermittent, so it makes it difficult to record and post a video.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Wonder if one of your CAT's has started to come apart?
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Wonder if one of your CAT's has started to come apart?
Unless it gets a lot worse, I am only 1,500 miles from my next oil change, so I will take it to the dealer at that point.......I was wondering if it could be part of the exhaust as well. Would a couple of tanks of bad gas cause this as well?......I don't think so, as the noise seems to be in the exhaust, not the engine compartment.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I'm not sure about the bad gas......although I'd think the knock sensor would be responding and ****** the ignition and you would notice the decrease in power.
I have noticed (since I put the GT500 twin tip mufflers on) that when I have the AC on the exhaust note changes..........not a sound like yours though.
As long as doesn't get any worse I'd have it checked when you have the oil changed.
The only car I had a similar issue was my 86 5.0l Capri. It had less than 5000 miles and I started hearing kind of the same noise...........a CAT had gone bad...they replaced it under warranty and it never happened again.
Let us know what you find out.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That is your resonator, mine did the same and after I did the cat back no more noise

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Coyote15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote15 View Post
That is your resonator, mine did the same and after I did the cat back no more noise
That could very well be, as the noise seems to be generated within the right side exhaust pipe only. Could you tell what came apart inside the resonator after you took yours off?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The dealer will warranty the system because I know another person that had it replaced by the dealer, it appears to be a loose weld in the resonator, I just put on the Borla sport cat back and that was that 😊

Old 08-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
The dealer will warranty the system because I know another person that had it replaced by the dealer, it appears to be a loose weld in the resonator, I just put on the Borla sport cat back and that was that 😊

I just love forums like this when you have something going on with your car and you can expand your knowledge base by tapping in to other's experiences. Thank you for your suggestion as to where to have the dealer check.
I happen to love the sound of the stock exhaust, and with a convertible, it is plenty loud enough (and quiet enough at times) for my tastes.....
Old 08-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

I couldn't stand it any more......just thinking it might be something major wrong with the car was having me lose sleep, so I took it into the dealer this morning.
They put it up on the rack while running and listened to the entire right side pipe with a stethoscope. They said the noise was coming from inside the right side muffler (which is what it seemed like to me too, as the noise was the loudest standing just in front of the RR wheel).
A new muffler is on order, and will be here in a couple of days. The service writer said that he's never had to order a new muffler for a new car in like a decade......so for now, I am glad it does not appear to be more major than a loose baffle......and praying they are right.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ask them if you can see the muffler they take off. I'd love to see it cut open and find the "culprit" if possible. And just to see what the chambers look like on a stock piece.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Ask them if you can see the muffler they take off. I'd love to see it cut open and find the "culprit" if possible. And just to see what the chambers look like on a stock piece.
I'll see what I can do, but usually they need the old piece to claim warranty repairs....maybe not on such a large piece.
It would be nice to see what the heck came apart, wouldn't it?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The exhaust is all one piece on the Gt and comes off as one big piece, How do they intend to replace just a muffler ( cut it) ?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
The exhaust is all one piece on the Gt and comes off as one big piece, How do they intend to replace just a muffler ( cut it) ?

Yeah, I asked the same thing....and was told that they would do the install....maybe I'll call them back and ask again......
Just got off the phone with them, and what they ordered ( which of course is on back order until Sept...) is both mufflers and tips, and they clamp on to the rest of the assembly about two feet in front of the rear axle.....???
Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Sounds like its time for an axleback... Or whatever its called on the 2015 cars.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

props to your dealer and keep us updated.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
props to your dealer and keep us updated.
Yes, they are a good dealer, but I really don't know, if I've got something wrong inside a muffler if I should be driving it. Not good to hear it's on back order.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I can understand it being on back order. Who replaces their exhaust with the same stock set up? A failing muffler seems so rare that they don't have replacements.

As far as fear of driving, honestly I cut off my mufflers before I burned through the complimentary tank of gas from the dealer. I really can't see any harm from driving with a defective weld or baffle or whatever ends up being the culprit. If I was you I would ask if they can cut em off until they get a replacement, or maybe a discount on the racing exhaust?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

unless it get completely blocked nothing bad should happen.

Wile, side ?

do you own both rides in your photo?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Wile, side ?

do you own both rides in your photo?
I don't think he does......there was a post he made a while back about trading in the Camaro for the Mustang......yellow to yellow.....
Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I don't think he does......there was a post he made a while back about trading in the Camaro for the Mustang......yellow to yellow.....

This is correct. Went from the v6 to the V8. Wasn't a fan of the 6th gen camaro and fell in love with the coyote sound.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Cool picture I like the bright yellow on cars thx for the reply (would have been a better story if they both were V8)

V6 Stang or V8 Camaro which would you pick I've never tried the Camaro but pretty sure I'd trade my V6 Stang for a V8 Camaro
Old 08-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Trying not to hijack the thread..... I have a very good reputation and relationship with my local Chevy dealer (has to do with the 250k my company has spent over the past 5 years on company vehicles and maintenance.) the offered me a fully loaded 2016 2ss at 3% below invoice. Basically they would not make any money on the sale but would recoupe on my trade and service. I wasn't interested in the "new" body style of the camaro and although it has 30 more hp the interior features of the mustang are more to my liking. Besides, it's hard to use the 435 ponies I have now since I don't do track days. If I was offered a v8 camaro or a v6 mustang I would ask for the T4 ecoboost and make it a sleeper. After 3 years with my camaro I just am not impressed with Chevy as much as I was in the beginning.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
After 3 years with my camaro I just am not impressed with Chevy as much as I was in the beginning.
Isn't the Mustang MUCH easier to see out of as well? We rented a Camaro convertible last time we went sight seeing in Arizona, and I was constantly banging my head on the side windows when the top was up just trying to see something beside the car. That, and it seemed like at red lights, if you were first in line, you had to have your nose on the steering wheel to see when it turned green.
I MUCH prefer the greenhouse on the Mustang.............
Old 08-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

My little girl always asked while in the back seat why I can't sit still and drive like mommy does. And it was as you said, can't see anything. I would be doing "sit ups" in my seat to lessen the blind spots on the side and out the back. Not even a bubble mirror helped. Not to mention the seats themselves were terrible and after 30 min my body screamed in discomfort.

I have the PP and recarro seats in my GT now. Recently drove the wife and kid from ATL to myrtle beach. For vacation. No comfort complaints and I was getting about 24mpg that's about 375 miles at 75mpg. That sealed it for me. Never going back.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I have the PP and recarro seats in my GT now. Recently drove the wife and kid from ATL to myrtle beach. For vacation. No comfort complaints and I was getting about 24mpg that's about 375 miles at 75mpg. That sealed it for me. Never going back.
The new 5.0 seems to get better mpg at 80 mph than it does at 68 to 72. Must be making a bit more torque just a little higher in the rev range. I've gotten 25 to 26 mpg cruising at 80.......................AND....surprisingly, the exhaust that was supposed to be on back order came in today. I have something going every day next week except Friday, so made the appointment to have it installed a week from today.
I'll let you all know if they get the tips straight.......any bets?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Take a photo of them from every angle. Then when they are "done" compare. If they aren't to your liking make em fix it. It took my guy 3 tries to get them "straight".

Then again it's all relative cause my straight and your straight are prob different.

I'm really curious to see if they show you the defect. Every warranty I have ever done has shown what went wrong.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah, I'm pretty anal about those kinds of things, so there is no way that I am leaving the dealer without the tips being in the center of the half rounds in the bumper and even as to how far they stick out.
Still, pretty happy that they came in this quickly!
Old 09-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Ahhhhhhhh.......it's all quiet again!
I had an appointment first thing this morning at the dealer, and they replaced the entire exhaust system from the cats back......both pipes, both mufflers and two tips. They got them on nice and straight too. I also think that the new ones have shinier stainless tips.....of course, a little Mothers Aluminum Polish right away at home really helped.
No more "TING" at 1,100 rpm on up.....all is well.
The original exhaust has to go back to Ford under warranty repair rules, so I did not get a chance to look inside the system, but once off the car, you could move the pipes and hear something, probably a baffle loose inside the right side muffler. I think that the exhaust pulses right at certain RPMs were causing it to hit another metal piece inside.....I am a happy camper again, and we are going for a long ride today! See ya!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Glad it all worked out. Make sure you leave good feed back if a survey comes your way. Not a lot of dealers will go the extra mile like it seems yours did.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT