A heads up to 2015 convertible owners on discolored trim piece - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
A heads up to 2015 convertible owners on discolored trim piece

From day one, our 2015 convertible has had a trim piece that is severely discolored. It's the piece of rubber trim at the top of the fenders, and goes around behind the top in front of the trunk. It's all one long piece. It looks just like the trim at the top of the doors, and my door trim is of uniform color, and looks OK. The rear trim piece however is partly gray, partly black, partly shiny...mostly dull....and pretty much looks like crud.
My dealer agreed it needs to be replaced, but when they went to order it, there are nearly 100 pieces on back order nationwide. The part is estimated not to even be available for two or three months, so it appears there was (and may still be) an issue with a supplier.
Check your trim piece, and if you too think it needs replacing, it sounds like you better get in line and get yours at least on order.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

Region: Georgia
Is this the piece which goes around the convertible well? I have a 2015 convertible and there is an 18" section on both the left and right sides, at the front of the convertible well which looks like it has a rubberized coating flaking off. The car is only a few months old and it looks horrible. I have a white car and you can see the black specks of rubber (or whatever it is) flaking off onto the paint.
joeammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeammie View Post
Is this the piece which goes around the convertible well? I have a 2015 convertible and there is an 18" section on both the left and right sides, at the front of the convertible well which looks like it has a rubberized coating flaking off. The car is only a few months old and it looks horrible. I have a white car and you can see the black specks of rubber (or whatever it is) flaking off onto the paint.
I went back out and looked at mine, and yes there IS a seam on each side about 18 inches back from the doors.......but mine is discolored all the way around.....so a total of three pieces.
Ford will replace these under warranty, but like I said, get in line as it looks to be a long wait for these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Region: Georgia
Thanks. Good to know I'm not alone in this. So far mine is just the two pieces forward of the seams. Best of luck in your repair. Guess I'll be heading into the dealer soon...
joeammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeammie View Post
Thanks. Good to know I'm not alone in this. So far mine is just the two pieces forward of the seams. Best of luck in your repair. Guess I'll be heading into the dealer soon...
You're welcome............and welcome to the forum as well!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I used CQuartz + Reload occasionally on my car. The trim looks fine. Maybe I was just lucky, and my trim was good to go from the start.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I used CQuartz + Reload occasionally on my car. The trim looks fine. Maybe I was just lucky, and my trim was good to go from the start.
I can make mine look good with 303..........but why should I have to? It looked pretty bad the day I brought it home.
The only time I want to go that extra step to shine that piece of trim is if I am going to a car show. The rest of the time, it should look OK after I wash it, just like the trim pieces do on the top of the doors. The door piece looks just like a consistenly colored matte finish piece of rubber. The rear trim is mottled grey and black --- not acceptable.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I can make mine look good with 303..........but why should I have to? It looked pretty bad the day I brought it home.
The only time I want to go that extra step to shine that piece of trim is if I am going to a car show. The rest of the time, it should look OK after I wash it, just like the trim pieces do on the top of the doors. The door piece looks just like a consistenly colored matte finish piece of rubber. The rear trim is mottled grey and black --- not acceptable.
If mine looked that bad I would take it back too. Mine never looked that bad. Sorry.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

A heads up to 2015 convertible owners on discolored trim piece

My trim looks awful when I take a picture. I guess I just don't see it out in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

First week of October my trim piece finally came in and was installed. It looks soooooooooo much better than that first piece did, a nice solid flat black!!
I had not realized how bad it had made the back end of our convertible look until I saw what that trim was supposed to look like! I am now very pleased with the appearance of that back edge.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
First week of October my trim piece finally came in and was installed. It looks soooooooooo much better than that first piece did, a nice solid flat black!!
I had not realized how bad it had made the back end of our convertible look until I saw what that trim was supposed to look like! I am now very pleased with the appearance of that back edge.
Mine is going in soon, I will have to ask my dealer.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Mine is going in soon, I will have to ask my dealer.
With as long as this has been back ordered, you know there was a problem with many hundreds of trim pieces installed at the factory.
It is nice that they are stepping up and replacing this for the affected owners.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Better hit it with some type of UV protectant, otherwise you may end up in the same situation again once that thing sit in the sun...
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN View Post
Better hit it with some type of UV protectant, otherwise you may end up in the same situation again once that thing sit in the sun...
Perhaps, yes......but if it ends up looking as bad as the factory piece, Ford is going to have to replace it again. The trim at the top of the doors never discolored in the sun, and I hope this new piece doesn't either.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #15

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
can someone take photos please?

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE πŸŽΆβ€ΌοΈβ€ΌοΈπŸŽπŸŽˆπŸŽ‰
Old 10-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
can someone take photos please?
My trim piece is all OK now, and they kept the old one for the warranty claim. Do you need a pic to show the piece we are talking about (which I can do).....or a pic that shows the discoloration?.....which I can't any longer.....
Old 10-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #17

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Quote:
My trim piece is all OK now, and they kept the old one for the warranty claim. Do you need a pic to show the piece we are talking about (which I can do).....or a pic that shows the discoloration?.....which I can't any longer.....

i was just wondering whereabouts
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
i was just wondering whereabouts
It is the piece of flat black rubber trim that is at the front of the trunk area right at the base of the convertible top and wraps around the top of both rear fenders, and meets the same looking and sized trim on the top of both doors. It's about 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick............does that help?

I would be more than happy to take a pic if you still need one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT