High Oil Pressure - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
High Oil Pressure

I've owned my stock GT (performance pack) for about 2 months now and i recently had a drastic change in oil pressure.
the oil pressure is usually about 30-40 PSI but recently, upon startup my oil pressure reading is 80-85 PSI it will stay above 80 for the first 10-15 minutes after startup, and will then begin to slowly fall down to around 35 PSI over the next 10 minutes.
has anyone experienced anything like this?
Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Are you far enough north to be experiencing colder evenings? Oil is thicker when cold and will show higher pressure until warmed by engine. Being from Minnesota my old work truck would red line oil pressure gauge in the winter.

May check the oil level just to be sure. Had it serviced recently?

Yes it's fast, no you can't drive it.
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No, I'm in VA so it's still plenty warm, I took it to the dealer earlier this week because of a bad resanator and the mechanic said it was normal. I don't have much of a history with this dealer though, so I don't know how much I trust them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

May check the oil level just to be sure. Had it serviced recently?
This is good advice. If you had the oil changed right before this happened, I would wonder about both the oil level, and the viscosity.
The new oils these engines take are VERY thin at start up "0-20" to "5-30" weight oil when not yet hot is typical now.
Guard 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstu188 View Post
No, I'm in VA so it's still plenty warm, I took it to the dealer earlier this week because of a bad resanator and the mechanic said it was normal. I don't have much of a history with this dealer though, so I don't know how much I trust them

not normal,find a real dealer and ask their engine man to check it.will have to leave over night to cool off.
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
What weight oil are you using?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The cars only got 2200 miles on it so it's still got whatever ford put in it originally. I'll check the level again when I get back to town and try to find a more reputable dealer to take it to.
Thanks for the help!

Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It's still under warranty. I would tell the dealer to drain the oil and put the correct weight in. If it's not cold, the level is right and it goes down after heating up above 185 my guess would be somebody put a very thick weight. Did you buy the car in VA? Again, being from Minnesota we used A thicker oil to cover "cold starts"

Two types of oil are on the market: single-viscosity oil and multi-viscosity oil. Almost every vehicle is designed to run on multi-viscosity oil. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and the more easily it flows. In 10W-40 oil, for example, the two numbers mean that it’s a multi-viscosity oil. The 10W is an index that refers to how the oil flows at low temperatures (in Winter); 40 refers to how it flows at high temperatures.

Read this so you can sound like you know what you are talking about when approaching the dealer. I am unsure if you can test the weight after it's been removed from the car. But if all the facts you are telling us are true, my guess would be incorrect weight, or a major problem within the engine. Either one will require the attention of a dealer so Ford is aware of the issue.

As far as dealer help goes I would go to the dealer and explain your issue. If they offer to "change" the oil free you are golden. If they want to charge you and you feel that unfair you can always contact ford directly and they should help you out. I haven't paid for oil changes in 5 years. A good dealer knows a free oil change is worth the repeat business. Especially on a high performance car like yours when it comes time for breaks, tires or even regular scheduled maintenance.

Long winded explanation but I hope it helps. Let us know how it works out.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's still under warranty. I would tell the dealer to drain the oil and put the correct weight in. If it's not cold, the level is right and it goes down after heating up above 185 my guess would be somebody put a very thick weight. Did you buy the car in VA? Again, being from Minnesota we used A thicker oil to cover "cold starts"

Two types of oil are on the market: single-viscosity oil and multi-viscosity oil. Almost every vehicle is designed to run on multi-viscosity oil. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and the more easily it flows. In 10W-40 oil, for example, the two numbers mean that it’s a multi-viscosity oil. The 10W is an index that refers to how the oil flows at low temperatures (in Winter); 40 refers to how it flows at high temperatures.

Read this so you can sound like you know what you are talking about when approaching the dealer. I am unsure if you can test the weight after it's been removed from the car. But if all the facts you are telling us are true, my guess would be incorrect weight, or a major problem within the engine. Either one will require the attention of a dealer so Ford is aware of the issue.

As far as dealer help goes I would go to the dealer and explain your issue. If they offer to "change" the oil free you are golden. If they want to charge you and you feel that unfair you can always contact ford directly and they should help you out. I haven't paid for oil changes in 5 years. A good dealer knows a free oil change is worth the repeat business. Especially on a high performance car like yours when it comes time for breaks, tires or even regular scheduled maintenance.

Long winded explanation but I hope it helps. Let us know how it works out.

or more likely if suddenly started doing this, LIKE YOU SAID, only thing that could cause is pressure relief valve stuck shut in oil pump.these pumps unregulated will pump over 100 lbs,
Old 09-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So I've talked to three dealers here in Virginia who have each said 80psi is normal and I shouldn't come back unless it goes over 100. None of them could give me an answer as to what caused it to change though.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstu188 View Post
So I've talked to three dealers here in Virginia who have each said 80psi is normal and I shouldn't come back unless it goes over 100. None of them could give me an answer as to what caused it to change though.

ask them to put mechanical gage on her,if doesn't read same thing replace gage and sender. senders are a known ford problem.if they won't, get zone rep involved
Old 10-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Started my car up. 60 degrees outside. Oil pressure gauge idled at 80 psi. Driving the needle was pinned at 100. I'm scared to go over 2000 rpm. I just hit 3100 miles. Seriously worried.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:33 AM   #13

Region: North Carolina
Mine just started doing the same thing. Starts up at 80psi, then pegs when I drive for about the first 10 minutes. Going to stop by the dealership tomorrow and ask, but I suspect it has to do with it getting colder at night.
Auctourus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

OP, I see PP in your sig....what does your oil cap say for weight? does it come/recommend 5-50 like the track packs used to? That may account for some of it. If it will help you sleep better consider changing out the oil but if 3 diff dealers say it's OK I would accept that.

Old school I always do an early oil change even though it MAY not be needed.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The new PP cars call for 5W-20 unlike in previous years. Which of course caused all kinds of confusion.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

t.
You can indeed have the viscosity index checked after it has been in the car. Labs test the viscosity at low and high temps. The measurements reveal the viscosity at those temps. The viscosity at those temps will tell them what weight the oil is.

That works better when it has very recently been changed. Low quality oils (like motorcraft) have higher volatility. Their viscosity changes quickly since the light parts of the molecules in volatile oils will burn away faster. So you can put 5w-20 in, drive it through Arizona for 8,000 miles, and then drain out what is essentially 10w-38.5(ish) weight oil lol.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Where is the oil pressure sensor located on these engines? Seeing high oil pressure in one spot of the engine =/= high pressure throughout the rest of the engine.

Mental image:
- turn on your garden hose
- Plug it into your sprinkler
- put it on top of your house
- halfway kink the hose a few times
- Start messing with the spigot's valve
-measure water pressure at various points along the hose and in the sprinkler's streams

My guess is you will see what I am talking about. You want a nice big error margin to help protect against things like gravity, acceleration, centripetal force, and other forces that can impede on the oil's flow. Its also good to have the oil migrate through your engine ASAP, rather than running unlubricated waiting for the oil to come
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have the same issue with my 2015 pp gt. When cold start for the first 10 min oil pressure gauge reads 80psi and then drops to regular levels. Everything seems ok just weird seeing the gauge almost maxed out. Also even like revs will make the oil pressure hit 100 psi if i dnt let it warm up havent been to a dealership get to get it looked at yet
crashkid500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #19

Region: Texas
I also am having this problem with my 2015 GT PP. I just changed my oil (20k miles), and now on a cold start-up my gauge is reading 90 psi. I don't know what my car pressure normally is at idle, but with a hot engine at highway speeds it usually has about 60 psi, so 90 seems very high.

Today is a very cold day for Texas, but 40 degrees doesn't seem excessively cold to cause higher oil pressure. I'm using the recommended 5-20 weight synthetic that I always use (Mobil 1). I was afraid the oil filter might be defective, so I swapped it for a different new one, but oil pressure is still 90. I'm afraid to run the car too long or let it heat up as it is.

For those of you who were having this issue, did yall just drive it without problems?
SeanP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT