Steeda & Nitto Tire Testing NT555 G2 - Great Photos Inside!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Steeda & Nitto Tire Testing NT555 G2 - Great Photos Inside!!

Hello All:

Steeda continues to have a long-standing partnership with Nitto Tire - we run their tires on many of our street/strip cars and exclusively on our Steeda Performance Vehicles.

Recently, Steeda had the exciting opportunity to perform track-testing for their all new Nitto NT555 G2 tires at Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR) -- what an experience!

We brought out two Steeda S550 Performance Pack GTs with equal entry-level mods (Steeda springs, Steeda IRS subframe bushing support system, Steeda cold air intake, Steeda tune) to perform an apples-to-apples test comparing their existing NT555 tire to their all-new NT555 G2 tire.

60-0 Braking:
This kind of testing solely reflects the capabilities of the tires, brakes & suspension prepared for the Steeda equipped Mustang. From a driver-standpoint, it’s imperative to ensure the brakes are hit at the same point on the track at the same speed with max pressure applied to the brake pedal. This technique allows the vehicle’s Anti-Lock Brake system to do its job at peak performance.

Considering both vehicles were identical in brakes and suspension, the only variable left was the tires being used. Data we gathered shows the NT555 G2 stopping the car in 76.5’ from 60 mph, which is far superior than the current generation NT555 at 96.75’. One thing that these numbers do not show is directional control while applying the brakes - the NT555 G2 had a much more confidence-inspiring feeling transmitted through the steering wheel while the brakes were applied.

Driving Experience:
The NT555 never inspired the high-level of confidence that the G2 did while turning into and exiting the corner. What we mean by that is, the G2 - when turning into a corner - transmitted a feeling of the tires gripping sooner than the NT555 by the vehicle actually turning.

When the driver feels that the vehicle is now changing in the intended direction that the driver had planned, then the driver can place their focus on the exit of the corner maximizing the speed to the next corner; it’s at this point that the driver usually applies throttle to begin the acceleration process.

During the acceleration process out of the turn is when forward grip is critical to achieving a great lap time. The G2 allowed us to not only apply more throttle input, but also had less slip while exiting the corner. When tires slip during exiting a corner, it is usually the rear tires on a rear wheel drive vehicle (such as the S550) resulting in oversteer.

When the rear tires slip while coming out of a corner, they are no longer propelling the vehicle forward and instead, the rear of the vehicle usually begins to slide in the opposite direction of the turn. If the tires are sliding, then the driver has to react while either reducing the throttle, or alter the intended direction of the vehicle to compensate - neither of which help to reduce lap times.

As mentioned above, it is worth noting that the braking feel was considerably different between the NT555 vs G2. The G2 seemed to require less pedal pressure to achieve the same desired braking effect as the NT555 - this resulted in less weight transfer while under braking, and a more stabilized feeling while cornering the vehicle as the weight was not all transferred to the nose at turn-in or corner entry.

NT555 Key Benefits:
- Compound that offers balance between tread wear & traction
- Stable cornering due to reinforced tread blocks
- Wide contact patch

NT555 G2 Key Benefits:
- Cornering stability due to directional tread pattern
- Increased wet traction performance
- Increased braking performance
- Wide contact patch

Steeda Autosports is extremely excited for the release of Nitto’s NT555 G2 line & highly recommend them for the S550.

You can check out our current line of Nitto tires here

Here are some beauty shots of the Steeda Mustangs testing the Nitto tires on the track ... enjoy!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Hmmmm, might have to look into these. But would have really liked to see how they stack up against other brands as well like the Mickey Street Comps and Toyo 888s etc...

On a side note, is Steeda selling those center caps separately?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
On a side note, is Steeda selling those center caps separately?
Yes, you would have to call in to order them!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

Region: Iowa
Need to get Nitto on board with some DR's for the PP cars with 19" wheels!! I would buy them now.
whatsup62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Hmmmm, might have to look into these. But would have really liked to see how they stack up against other brands as well like the Mickey Street Comps and Toyo 888s etc...
...according to Steeda.

+1
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm going to keep on going with what I have experienced personally with the Nittos. They are a very good tire that runs narrow and will hook up better than your average "performance summer" tire. But if you REALLY want to hook up on a Nitto get a NT05.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Surprised that you didn't swap tires on these two cars to ensure it wasn't just the different dynamics of each car.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Steeda & Nitto Tire Testing NT555 G2 - Great Photos Inside!!

I got 20x10 in the back and have had 285/35/20 NT555 on them before and they run narrow AF. Looking at the front in the pics they run pretty narrow with 275/35/20.

I'm looking at the 305/30/20 but am concerned with installing them on a 10" rim. I currently have Mickey Thompson Street Comps 305/35/20 and they fit OK but am concerned that a thinner profile the NT555 G2 will seat worse than the MT's.

So questions:
1.) Do the G2s run narrow like the old NT555s?

2.) Would a 305/30/20 sit on a 10 inch rim ok? Discount Tire says they won't install correctly but that's what they said about my MT 305/35/20...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I guess I'll just say the reason I'm not going back to Street Comps are:

1.) 305/35/20 are taller than I want at 28.41 inches and the 305/30/20 Nittos stand at 27.2 inches.

2.) Had NT555 and they lasted damn near 40-45k miles. Street Comps lasted probably 10-12k. Traction was good for the first 8k miles or so then started to degrade in traction and have been real slippery for the last 2-4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm going to keep on going with what I have experienced personally with the Nittos. They are a very good tire that runs narrow and will hook up better than your average "performance summer" tire. But if you REALLY want to hook up on a Nitto get a NT05.
scotty, have you ran the NT05s in the rain??

Also, are all nitto tires made in usa??

ty
TigerStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT