Convertible or Fastback 2016 GT/CS? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Convertible or Fastback 2016 GT/CS?

I just wanted to get some opinions on which one I should get. I've never had a convertible so I don't know how the wind noise and all those factors affect the vehicle. I drove my buddy's 2010 convertible mustang and I felt like I had so much more room and it was at night so it looked amazing but what's the downside to it?
JohnnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Downsides of any vert (never been in a modern Stang Vert)

1. $

2. It will eventually leak

3. There will be more body flex.

I'm not putting security as anyone that would slice a top will smash windows.

On the plus side:

1. You get most of your $ back when you sell

2. It's a Vert....lower the top and go for a ride you'll feel better.

I would make it a point to see what wind noise is like and at what point talking becomes an issue, also where are you located? Verts in extreme north/southern locations are limited on when you want to lower the top.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I have a 14 Vert with nearly 50k miles and have had zero issues with it. No leaks and wind noise is so low, you have to listen for it to notice any. I'm certain the 16s are even tighter. I open the top every chance I get. My first vert and really loving it.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have a 14 Vert GT/CS. The wind noise is easily silenced by a full headers back exhaust with no cats. Most times it drowns the wife out too

The biggest downside is the blind spots. You can't see anything with the top up so your mirrors and passengers become your best friends.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
2015 GT vert. No leaks unless using car wash wand on drivers back window, and then it's a small drop. Wind noise only factor above 60. I had mine up to 130 with top down. That was very noisy!

Some random thoughts:
1. I have a garage
2. I'm retired
3. Definitely more room with the vert. Adults can fit in the back with top down or up.
4. Driving the vert alone on some back roads with top down is a hoot. Love the engine.
5. Cruising on a summer night with the top down, there are no words to describe it's that amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I also added the Steeda K-Trac brace to help with vert flexing.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
For 2015, you cannot get the performance package on the convertible.......so if you WERE considering that option, I don't know if Ford changed that for 2016.....
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Was never a fan of convertibles until i got a Cobra vert at an incredible price. Cruising with the roof down stimulates the senses, alot more fun than i imagined.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing like a convertible! That gets my vote!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ragtopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have a 14 V6 Premium vert. Had it just over a year & 7300 miles. Love it, & like a few others, it's my retirement car. Not a daily driver. Mine is amazingly quiet at x-way speeds top up. I'm in North Fl, so it's been to hot for daytime topless. Night is great & fall is just around the corner.
I agree, limited rearward vision, but fun factor overrides that. No leaks in mine thus far.
In another month or so I'll head for the Blueridge Parkway to go "leaf looking". Should be fun topless.
What ever you decide, Mustangs are fun.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
For 2015, you cannot get the performance package on the convertible.......so if you WERE considering that option, I don't know if Ford changed that for 2016.....

Hasn't changed it but you can't get the performance package on the GT/CS anyways.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
I have a 14 V6 Premium vert. Had it just over a year & 7300 miles. Love it, & like a few others, it's my retirement car. Not a daily driver. Mine is amazingly quiet at x-way speeds top up. I'm in North Fl, so it's been to hot for daytime topless. Night is great & fall is just around the corner.
I agree, limited rearward vision, but fun factor overrides that. No leaks in mine thus far.
In another month or so I'll head for the Blueridge Parkway to go "leaf looking". Should be fun topless.
What ever you decide, Mustangs are fun.

Keep getting same responses and around my area (South Texas) it's rare to see a convertible mustang maybe because it's hot most of the year but during the night it seems fine to have it down. I usually drive with my windows down anyways so I just wish I could feel more wind blowing through.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
Was never a fan of convertibles until i got a Cobra vert at an incredible price. Cruising with the roof down stimulates the senses, alot more fun than i imagined.

That's what I'm thinking everyone's opinion is but they probably say it because they've never driven or owned one.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
2015 GT vert. No leaks unless using car wash wand on drivers back window, and then it's a small drop. Wind noise only factor above 60. I had mine up to 130 with top down. That was very noisy!

Some random thoughts:
1. I have a garage
2. I'm retired
3. Definitely more room with the vert. Adults can fit in the back with top down or up.
4. Driving the vert alone on some back roads with top down is a hoot. Love the engine.
5. Cruising on a summer night with the top down, there are no words to describe it's that amazing.

I've read and seen videos on the new convertibles and seems that the technology has come a long way. I'm not retired or anywhere near retiring (21yrs) but I still think convertibles are great cars to have if you enjoy having wind blowing around you and I enjoy pulling my windows down every chance I get. So far with all the responses I've gotten it just seems everyone loves their convertible.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
There are 2 types of people on this subject:

1- Those that love convertibles

2- Those that haven't driven one through twisties on a nice evening

I never wanted a vert until I wound up with one. Now I realize they are fun. Hardtop convertible would be a no-brainer.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

idk if it applies to you or the 2015/2016. When I was looking in 2012 if you bought the base model vert it came with a vinyl roof compared to the canvas cloth of the premium models. It was only mentioned in small print.

I owned a vert Triumph Spitfire and as people who've driven verts before some days it is absolutely amazing to be able to drop the top and go for a ride.

For those that say you can fit people in the back seat of a vert where do you put their legs?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
idk if it applies to you or the 2015/2016. When I was looking in 2012 if you bought the base model vert it came with a vinyl roof compared to the canvas cloth of the premium models. It was only mentioned in small print.

I owned a vert Triumph Spitfire and as people who've driven verts before some days it is absolutely amazing to be able to drop the top and go for a ride.

For those that say you can fit people in the back seat of a vert where do you put their legs?
I have the automatic, so we move the front seats up a bit. The back of the seats are scalloped in for the rear passenger's knees. It's not ideal for long drives, but for shorter runs it's workable. Definitely better than no seats. Like the Corvette.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Haters/Hard Core racers will say "why did you get a Vert, the hard top weighs less and is faster"

I'd really like one but wasn't willing to spend the $ on it. I do tell people that owning a vert is something everyone should do at least once in their life.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had a vert. Will never own one again.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've had two mustang convertibles. Replaced the tops in both and had motors done for the top of one and rear quarter window motors. I enjoyed putting the top down BUT there are more moving parts which cause additional attention / maintainence over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I had a vert. Will never own one again.
Why? Never say never!

The newer convertibles are constantly improving. For the people who say convertibles are stiff enough body wise, etc. Try driving a Porsche Boxster on the track. I think you'd change your mind within a minute.

A lot of bad (outdated & based on older models) information in this thread.

Notes:

1. You CAN get the performance pack on the 2015+ Convertibles!
You used to not be able to, that's why I had to add the Brembo's to my 2014 GT Convertible after I bought it.

2. The new 2015+ convertibles are 13% stiffer in torsional rigidity. So you won't notice the extra twisting, shaking, etc.. that people complained about in older vehicles. It's chassis is rigid enough to do road course work, hence the reason you can get the Performance Package on them now.

3. Rear of 2015+ is sleeker, more integrated when top is down.

Educate yourself by reading this good article: Ford debuts Mustang convertible and revised Focus - SAE International

Then you can make a good informed decision.

I love my 2014 GT Premium Convertible.

The only thing I don't like about it is the automatic transmission. I got the Auto so my wife could drive the car too. But after driving it I hate how "dumb" it is. I've driven cars with very smart transmissions (like Porsche PDK cars) and I thought the '14 Mustang would be good enough. Not so. Now I've heard the 2015+ with paddle shifters are better.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT