Warped Rotors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Warped Rotors

Anybody else on here have issues with warped rotors? Fronts have been replaced and now the rears need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

My 2014 did after less then a year. I guess blank rotors are more prone to this. What is funny is I had many older cars that never had this issue. But I have heard newer cars get this often. Maybe the manufacturers are cheaping out on their product?

My driving habits never changed.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Anybody else on here have issues with warped rotors? Fronts have been replaced and now the rears need it.

Stock pads?

VTHokiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, btw it's a 2015 GT non-PP.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Yep, btw it's a 2015 GT non-PP.

I own the gt pp and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the break set ups much smaller in the non pp? If that is right I would say the heat from stopping all that force will kill rotors in a quick and wallet painful manor.

Yes it's fast, no you can't drive it.
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Well on the 11-14 Base 5.0s, the front calipers were 2 piston and stopped "ok". Now with the 15 5.0 base models, the front calipers are 4 piston. Pretty much the same as the Brembos on the 11-14s but Ford's version. The 2015 5.0s with the PP have 6 piston front calipers.

So if a 2 piston caliper can stop a 5.0 "ok", then a 4 piston should do just fine. I would not handicap the brake system of the stock 2015 5.0s right away.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Well on the 11-14 Base 5.0s, the front calipers were 2 piston and stopped "ok". Now with the 15 5.0 base models, the front calipers are 4 piston. Pretty much the same as the Brembos on the 11-14s but Ford's version. The 2015 5.0s with the PP have 6 piston front calipers.

So if a 2 piston caliper can stop a 5.0 "ok", then a 4 piston should do just fine. I would not handicap the brake system of the stock 2015 5.0s right away.

could be someone doesn't use a torque wrench and follow tightening pattern.85 lbs and crisscross
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:

How many miles on your car?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Changed fronts at 5000. Rears needed it by 6000 but told the dealer I would not bring the car back in until my next oil change and now I am there. Car has been in 4 times for brakes and I have owned it since Feb.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Changed fronts at 5000. Rears needed it by 6000 but told the dealer I would not bring the car back in until my next oil change and now I am there. Car has been in 4 times for brakes and I have owned it since Feb.

driving habits?
Old 09-24-2015, 05:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
could be someone doesn't use a torque wrench and follow tightening pattern.85 lbs and crisscross
The torque spec for the lug nuts on these cars is actually 150 foot lbs.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You guys may be really hard on those brakes. 8300 miles on my car and it still stops like new. I use my brakes fairly hard but it takes quite a bit too warp the rotors on these cars or your getting them really hot and hitting water.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Def not driving habits. I baby the heck out of my vehicle. Rarely ever goes over 80-85 on highway and that is the majority of my driving.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Def not driving habits. I baby the heck out of my vehicle. Rarely ever goes over 80-85 on highway and that is the majority of my driving.

Baby the heck. SMH! Why bother having a mustang???? Just buy some mini van to baby

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Maybe the manufacturers are cheaping out on their product?

Easy way to reduce rotating mass while cutting costs, I suppose. They sure don't make some things like they used to
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinevere View Post
def not driving habits. I baby the heck out of my vehicle. Rarely ever goes over 80-85 on highway and that is the majority of my driving.

Sent from my iphone using mustang evolution
but how are you on the brakes?throttle doesn't warp rotors,brake pedal overuse or aggressive braking does. You overheat brakes the rotors will warp.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My 2014 did after less then a year. I guess blank rotors are more prone to this. What is funny is I had many older cars that never had this issue. But I have heard newer cars get this often. Maybe the manufacturers are cheaping out on their product?

The problem is that your newer car is heavier. The brakes on a Mustang have not seen much in the way of improvement since converting to four wheel vented discs. The issue is that the Mustang was NEVER designed as a performance car, but rather as a passenger car that looks like one (this is why the engineering group was denied their request to make a watts link come as standard equipment on all 05-14 cars, it was considered an unnecessary expense for a passenger car).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #18
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
The problem is that your newer car is heavier. The brakes on a Mustang have not seen much in the way of improvement since converting to four wheel vented discs. The issue is that the Mustang was NEVER designed as a performance car, but rather as a passenger car that looks like one (this is why the engineering group was denied their request to make a watts link come as standard equipment on all 05-14 cars, it was considered an unnecessary expense for a passenger car).
Gotcha. But I believe my old 3000GT was in the same class as the Mustang (3500 lbs, passenger "sports" car). and I never had issues with the brakes getting messed up or anything. I had it for 1 year with new pads and rotors and it always braked fine without noise. Even when I sold it, it still braked good.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing aggressive on the brakes. Had to get on them a couple times to avoid somebody coming into my lane but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I never had a problem with the rears before the dealer turned them in an attempt to stop the brake squeal that I told them was coming from the front but they insisted was from the back.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook

In Austin, TX you will go through pads and rotors like they are going out of style. I had to SLAM my brakes this morning because some idiot tried jumping out in front of my car (probably commiting suicide). I got out of there as soon as possible as that person looked CRAZY.

So it was safe to say I was wide awake at 6:45 AM this morning. :/
Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotcha. But I believe my old 3000GT was in the same class as the Mustang (3500 lbs, passenger "sports" car). and I never had issues with the brakes getting messed up or anything. I had it for 1 year with new pads and rotors and it always braked fine without noise. Even when I sold it, it still braked good.
The 3000GT is in a VERY different class of car. When it was released, it was one of the most technologically advanced no BS sports cars on the market (active aero, four wheel steer, all wheel drive, exceptionally high powered turbo six), and had a price tag to match (a friend bought a VR4 new for the same price as a brand new Corvette ZR-1 of the same year). You could get a 1994 Cobra for $17,xxx, which is between 1/3 and 1/4 the price of the VR4. Guess what is triple the cost of a base 2015 GT, you guessed it, Z06. Guess what problems those don't have, brake heat dissipation.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
The 3000GT is in a VERY different class of car. When it was released, it was one of the most technologically advanced no BS sports cars on the market (active aero, four wheel steer, all wheel drive, exceptionally high powered turbo six), and had a price tag to match (a friend bought a VR4 new for the same price as a brand new Corvette ZR-1 of the same year). You could get a 1994 Cobra for $17,xxx, which is between 1/3 and 1/4 the price of the VR4. Guess what is triple the cost of a base 2015 GT, you guessed it, Z06. Guess what problems those don't have, brake heat dissipation.
I had the base model which did not have aero, all wheel drive, or turbos. It was an N/A, 3200+ lb, coupe. Very much like the older Mustangs as far as what can consider it for that class. It did not have any fancy brake cooling setup or anything. Had pads, rotors, and DOT3 brake fluid as well.

The car had a whopping 220 HP at the crank and 200 torque. Lol

Sadly it was front wheel drive. But got better traction since all the weight is up front.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

The cheapest that you could get that car was $5000 (minimum) more than a cobra, but it is much more likely to still have been $10,000 more. You get what you do (or do not) pay for is the point. The mustang has never been priced as a sports car, and you never actually got one either, so it is fine.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Did the dealer end up treating this all as warranty and replace them? I hope so with the miles you said and not try to say it's driving style.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Just asking.....do you brake right or left footed?.......
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It's a standard so its with the right. So far they have covered everything. I have had cars in the past where there brakes constantly warped no matter what the dealer tried. Didn't know if this was just growing pains from the first 2015's or if I'm the only one with this issue.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If anyone is braking with their left foot they better be missing their right leg.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a standard so its with the right. So far they have covered everything. I have had cars in the past where there brakes constantly warped no matter what the dealer tried. Didn't know if this was just growing pains from the first 2015's or if I'm the only one with this issue.

Sorry but what you just said might be a clue.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

What I meant by that was the car type had a known defect that caused the rotors to warp. Wasn't just mine.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just saying, I've had a number of cars in my lifetime (50 years) I've never had a problem with warped rotors unless it's with a used car.

I was a certified brake mechanic in the 80's. Heat cracks and warpage in rotors were the result of people either left foot braking (holding their left foot on the brake with the right foot on the accelerator) or hard braking all the time. Or of course not getting their brakes serviced and rivets grinding into the rotors.

Maybe this isn't your case, but, you have had so many problems with past cars. Maybe you need to take a look at your driving habits.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 AM   #31

Region: Colorado
Quote:

Did u bed the rotors properly??? I heard that is critical when u first get a new car or u put new rotors on!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thebayareapimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT