Warped Rotors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Guinevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Warped Rotors

Anybody else on here have issues with warped rotors? Fronts have been replaced and now the rears need it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
My 2014 did after less then a year. I guess blank rotors are more prone to this. What is funny is I had many older cars that never had this issue. But I have heard newer cars get this often. Maybe the manufacturers are cheaping out on their product?

My driving habits never changed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
VTHokiez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Richmond
Region: Virginia
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Anybody else on here have issues with warped rotors? Fronts have been replaced and now the rears need it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Stock pads?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
VTHokiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Guinevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Yep, btw it's a 2015 GT non-PP.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Wile E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ATL
Region: Georgia
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Yep, btw it's a 2015 GT non-PP.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I own the gt pp and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the break set ups much smaller in the non pp? If that is right I would say the heat from stopping all that force will kill rotors in a quick and wallet painful manor.


Yes it's fast, no you can't drive it.
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Well on the 11-14 Base 5.0s, the front calipers were 2 piston and stopped "ok". Now with the 15 5.0 base models, the front calipers are 4 piston. Pretty much the same as the Brembos on the 11-14s but Ford's version. The 2015 5.0s with the PP have 6 piston front calipers.

So if a 2 piston caliper can stop a 5.0 "ok", then a 4 piston should do just fine. I would not handicap the brake system of the stock 2015 5.0s right away.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: HARTWELL LAKE AREA
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Well on the 11-14 Base 5.0s, the front calipers were 2 piston and stopped "ok". Now with the 15 5.0 base models, the front calipers are 4 piston. Pretty much the same as the Brembos on the 11-14s but Ford's version. The 2015 5.0s with the PP have 6 piston front calipers.

So if a 2 piston caliper can stop a 5.0 "ok", then a 4 piston should do just fine. I would not handicap the brake system of the stock 2015 5.0s right away.

could be someone doesn't use a torque wrench and follow tightening pattern.85 lbs and crisscross
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Anybody else on here have issues with warped rotors? Fronts have been replaced and now the rears need it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

How many miles on your car?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Guinevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Changed fronts at 5000. Rears needed it by 6000 but told the dealer I would not bring the car back in until my next oil change and now I am there. Car has been in 4 times for brakes and I have owned it since Feb.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: HARTWELL LAKE AREA
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Changed fronts at 5000. Rears needed it by 6000 but told the dealer I would not bring the car back in until my next oil change and now I am there. Car has been in 4 times for brakes and I have owned it since Feb.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

driving habits?
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
could be someone doesn't use a torque wrench and follow tightening pattern.85 lbs and crisscross
The torque spec for the lug nuts on these cars is actually 150 foot lbs.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Noodles76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,198
You guys may be really hard on those brakes. 8300 miles on my car and it still stops like new. I use my brakes fairly hard but it takes quite a bit too warp the rotors on these cars or your getting them really hot and hitting water.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Guinevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Def not driving habits. I baby the heck out of my vehicle. Rarely ever goes over 80-85 on highway and that is the majority of my driving.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Def not driving habits. I baby the heck out of my vehicle. Rarely ever goes over 80-85 on highway and that is the majority of my driving.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Baby the heck. SMH! Why bother having a mustang???? Just buy some mini van to baby

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Maybe the manufacturers are cheaping out on their product?

My driving habits never changed.
Easy way to reduce rotating mass while cutting costs, I suppose. They sure don't make some things like they used to
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: HARTWELL LAKE AREA
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinevere View Post
def not driving habits. I baby the heck out of my vehicle. Rarely ever goes over 80-85 on highway and that is the majority of my driving.


Sent from my iphone using mustang evolution
but how are you on the brakes?throttle doesn't warp rotors,brake pedal overuse or aggressive braking does. You overheat brakes the rotors will warp.
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
jande063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
My 2014 did after less then a year. I guess blank rotors are more prone to this. What is funny is I had many older cars that never had this issue. But I have heard newer cars get this often. Maybe the manufacturers are cheaping out on their product?

My driving habits never changed.
The problem is that your newer car is heavier. The brakes on a Mustang have not seen much in the way of improvement since converting to four wheel vented discs. The issue is that the Mustang was NEVER designed as a performance car, but rather as a passenger car that looks like one (this is why the engineering group was denied their request to make a watts link come as standard equipment on all 05-14 cars, it was considered an unnecessary expense for a passenger car).
__________________
2014 Mustang V6-Built to run TTB, CAM-C, and ESP

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #18
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
The problem is that your newer car is heavier. The brakes on a Mustang have not seen much in the way of improvement since converting to four wheel vented discs. The issue is that the Mustang was NEVER designed as a performance car, but rather as a passenger car that looks like one (this is why the engineering group was denied their request to make a watts link come as standard equipment on all 05-14 cars, it was considered an unnecessary expense for a passenger car).
Gotcha. But I believe my old 3000GT was in the same class as the Mustang (3500 lbs, passenger "sports" car). and I never had issues with the brakes getting messed up or anything. I had it for 1 year with new pads and rotors and it always braked fine without noise. Even when I sold it, it still braked good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Guinevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Nothing aggressive on the brakes. Had to get on them a couple times to avoid somebody coming into my lane but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I never had a problem with the rears before the dealer turned them in an attempt to stop the brake squeal that I told them was coming from the front but they insisted was from the back.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
In Austin, TX you will go through pads and rotors like they are going out of style. I had to SLAM my brakes this morning because some idiot tried jumping out in front of my car (probably commiting suicide). I got out of there as soon as possible as that person looked CRAZY.

So it was safe to say I was wide awake at 6:45 AM this morning. :/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
jande063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Gotcha. But I believe my old 3000GT was in the same class as the Mustang (3500 lbs, passenger "sports" car). and I never had issues with the brakes getting messed up or anything. I had it for 1 year with new pads and rotors and it always braked fine without noise. Even when I sold it, it still braked good.
The 3000GT is in a VERY different class of car. When it was released, it was one of the most technologically advanced no BS sports cars on the market (active aero, four wheel steer, all wheel drive, exceptionally high powered turbo six), and had a price tag to match (a friend bought a VR4 new for the same price as a brand new Corvette ZR-1 of the same year). You could get a 1994 Cobra for $17,xxx, which is between 1/3 and 1/4 the price of the VR4. Guess what is triple the cost of a base 2015 GT, you guessed it, Z06. Guess what problems those don't have, brake heat dissipation.
__________________
2014 Mustang V6-Built to run TTB, CAM-C, and ESP

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #22
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
The 3000GT is in a VERY different class of car. When it was released, it was one of the most technologically advanced no BS sports cars on the market (active aero, four wheel steer, all wheel drive, exceptionally high powered turbo six), and had a price tag to match (a friend bought a VR4 new for the same price as a brand new Corvette ZR-1 of the same year). You could get a 1994 Cobra for $17,xxx, which is between 1/3 and 1/4 the price of the VR4. Guess what is triple the cost of a base 2015 GT, you guessed it, Z06. Guess what problems those don't have, brake heat dissipation.
I had the base model which did not have aero, all wheel drive, or turbos. It was an N/A, 3200+ lb, coupe. Very much like the older Mustangs as far as what can consider it for that class. It did not have any fancy brake cooling setup or anything. Had pads, rotors, and DOT3 brake fluid as well.

The car had a whopping 220 HP at the crank and 200 torque. Lol

Sadly it was front wheel drive. But got better traction since all the weight is up front.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
jande063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 474
The cheapest that you could get that car was $5000 (minimum) more than a cobra, but it is much more likely to still have been $10,000 more. You get what you do (or do not) pay for is the point. The mustang has never been priced as a sports car, and you never actually got one either, so it is fine.
__________________
2014 Mustang V6-Built to run TTB, CAM-C, and ESP

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Waylap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Region: New Hampshire
Posts: 820
Did the dealer end up treating this all as warranty and replace them? I hope so with the miles you said and not try to say it's driving style.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,595
Just asking.....do you brake right or left footed?.......
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Guinevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
It's a standard so its with the right. So far they have covered everything. I have had cars in the past where there brakes constantly warped no matter what the dealer tried. Didn't know if this was just growing pains from the first 2015's or if I'm the only one with this issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Noodles76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,198
If anyone is braking with their left foot they better be missing their right leg.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
InfinibandGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Ramon
Region: Other
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
It's a standard so its with the right. So far they have covered everything. I have had cars in the past where there brakes constantly warped no matter what the dealer tried. Didn't know if this was just growing pains from the first 2015's or if I'm the only one with this issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Sorry but what you just said might be a clue.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Guinevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
What I meant by that was the car type had a known defect that caused the rotors to warp. Wasn't just mine.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
InfinibandGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Ramon
Region: Other
Posts: 230
I'm just saying, I've had a number of cars in my lifetime (50 years) I've never had a problem with warped rotors unless it's with a used car.

I was a certified brake mechanic in the 80's. Heat cracks and warpage in rotors were the result of people either left foot braking (holding their left foot on the brake with the right foot on the accelerator) or hard braking all the time. Or of course not getting their brakes serviced and rivets grinding into the rotors.

Maybe this isn't your case, but, you have had so many problems with past cars. Maybe you need to take a look at your driving habits.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
thebayareapimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: .
Region: Colorado
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Anybody else on here have issues with warped rotors? Fronts have been replaced and now the rears need it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Did u bed the rotors properly??? I heard that is critical when u first get a new car or u put new rotors on!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thebayareapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05-10 GT rotors vs 11-14 3.7 rotors au01st 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 6 05-08-2015 09:22 AM
Warped Rotor? Help. sLbxO143 General Mustang Discussion 12 10-17-2012 09:09 PM
Slightly warped block Pascullon Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 02-02-2011 07:06 PM
Possible Warped Heads 99 SVT Cobra 1996-2004 Mustang GT 5 09-25-2009 10:23 AM
Vans Warped Tour '04 Thomas91169 The Bar 6 07-10-2004 01:09 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:47 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.