Last oil change, put in Pennzoil Platinum, and I notice the engine is running quieter - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
It looks like the Amzoil is $65 for a gallon.........that would make a pretty expensive 5.0 -- 8 quart oil change!!!!

amzoil | eBay
I can buy 10 quarts of Mobil 1EP for $56 dollars. A gallon is 4 quarts so one would need 2 gallons of Amsoil. That's $130 dollars for Amsoil compared to $56 dollars and still have 2 quarts left over.

There must be a much cheaper price for it because isn't Amsoil no more in cost than other oils?

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Amsoil is the way to go! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBETTY13 View Post
Amsoil is the way to go! 👍

👍👍👍👍👍👍

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Instead of taking the time to try and pick apart a few suspect posts in this thread, I'll just refer everyone here to a place where there is more information then you'll ever want to know about engine oil and lubrication in general. Also check out the used oil analysis sub-forum.

Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Good link! Thanks...........
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
you gotta find a local shop that carries it. i once found it at a Napa auto parts store. I dont recall the price at all and dont live in that town anymore.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
you gotta find a local shop that carries it. i once found it at a Napa auto parts store. I dont recall the price at all and dont live in that town anymore.
I haven't seen any local shops carry Amsoil. I have been to all the auto parts stores in my area and further out, no Amsoil. The Napa stores in my area doesnt sell it. My guess is that even the stores selling Amsoil the price will be far more than Mobil 1 extended performance.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

im sure they do. i tried the dealer locator on the amsoil website, but it wasn't working at the moment. ill try again tomorrow.

either way, im coming to the conclusion that it isnt worth it for me to run amsoil anyway. It would take me a looong time to put 20k on my motor anyway, and i would rather do more frequent changes just to keep things cycled and to monitor whats in there and coming out. plenty of motors out there have a good long run even with conventional oil. Im gonna move up to synthetic for now. actually leaning toward quaker state synthetic, but may end up with pennzoil platinum.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
im sure they do. i tried the dealer locator on the amsoil website, but it wasn't working at the moment. ill try again tomorrow.

either way, im coming to the conclusion that it isnt worth it for me to run amsoil anyway. It would take me a looong time to put 20k on my motor anyway, and i would rather do more frequent changes just to keep things cycled and to monitor whats in there and coming out. plenty of motors out there have a good long run even with conventional oil. Im gonna move up to synthetic for now. actually leaning toward quaker state synthetic, but may end up with pennzoil platinum.
Amsoil says oil change once a year or 25k miles. Which ever comes first. Me personally, will not go close to 25k in one year. I go around 10k yearly. Mobil 1 EP is actually less cost than Pennzoil Platinum but I think the Pennzoil Platinum is really good. Not sure about the Quaker State!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

For many years, I was a believer in the 3,000 mile oil change. Now, with the quality of synthetic oil, and how clean Pennzoil on particular is saying they will keep the engine, I change the oil every 5,000.
Makes the tire rotation every 5,000 miles easy to remember to do at the same time. I'd have changed the oil at 5K this time, but was on a weekend road trip that took me over, so got it changed at 6,100 when we got home.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZAPxJjDti9MXyQ this is one of the test results I was going by. Posted by amsoil, they say it's don't by an outside lab and not amsoil. Of course amsoil is in 1st place most of the time. But the results pretty much go with everything else I've been hearing lately. Like mobil1 and castrol syntec not being as good as far as wear protection (still not bad oils tho) but I read thru people discussing zinc additives, and whether high levels actually equate to more protection (short answer, no) but I found quaker state to be more in the middle. It has pretty good results where it counts. And I only go 4 or 5k miles between oil changes (and I read some lab tests on 9k old oil on bobistheoilguy). I'm sure it's not the oil of choice for everyone, but it looks like one I'm interested in trying out. Also I'm gonna send my 5k motorcraft 5w30 into Blackstone in the near future, I'll post the results when I get them. And probably the second quaker state oil change, I'll send it in again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZAPxJjDti9MXyQ this is one of the test results I was going by. Posted by amsoil, they say it's don't by an outside lab and not amsoil. Of course amsoil is in 1st place most of the time. But the results pretty much go with everything else I've been hearing lately. Like mobil1 and castrol syntec not being as good as far as wear protection (still not bad oils tho) but I read thru people discussing zinc additives, and whether high levels actually equate to more protection (short answer, no) but I found quaker state to be more in the middle. It has pretty good results where it counts. And I only go 4 or 5k miles between oil changes (and I read some lab tests on 9k old oil on bobistheoilguy). I'm sure it's not the oil of choice for everyone, but it looks like one I'm interested in trying out. Also I'm gonna send my 5k motorcraft 5w30 into Blackstone in the near future, I'll post the results when I get them. And probably the second quaker state oil change, I'll send it in again.

I guarantee you have plenty of good oil left in your motorcraft 5w30 and the Blackstone lab test will confirm my guarantee. The recommended oil change interval is 10k miles and that's on motorcraft blend, which you use. You don't track race so you don't fall into the higher category to change sooner. 😉👍

Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Is the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Platinum a Base IV synthetic?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:03 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I believe both III. But the new platinum is supposes to be derived from natural gas somehow? I'm still not positive how that works

Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe both III. But the new platinum is supposes to be derived from natural gas somehow? I'm still not positive how that works

Copy that. I have heard really good things about the Pennzoil Platinum and ultra platinum.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

looking at the availability on the quaker state synthetic, its at advance autoparts on sale for 19.99 with a filter i would throw away. 21.99 with a purolator pure one. (i already stocked up on motorcrafts) otherwise its like 32.99 for a 5 quart jug vs walmart at 21.xx. then the pennzoil platinum is 25.17 at walmart and supplied at probably all walmarts, unlike the quaker state. So im thinking might as well go with the one with better test results for a few bucks more. then there's that extra quart, :grumble:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
looking at the availability on the quaker state synthetic, its at advance autoparts on sale for 19.99 with a filter i would throw away. 21.99 with a purolator pure one. (i already stocked up on motorcrafts) otherwise its like 32.99 for a 5 quart jug vs walmart at 21.xx. then the pennzoil platinum is 25.17 at walmart and supplied at probably all walmarts, unlike the quaker state. So im thinking might as well go with the one with better test results for a few bucks more. then there's that extra quart, :grumble:
Those hard calls of motor oil. Lol! I'm just gonna use olive oil from here on out. Lol

Old 10-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Those hard calls of motor oil. Lol! I'm just gonna use olive oil from here on out. Lol

That is the stupidest thing i have heard on this forum.

you need to use vegetable oil. The olive oil burns at a lower temperature.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I use a synthetic olive oil. Special formula that never burns. Ha ha ha😜

Old 10-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I use a synthetic olive oil. Special formula that never burns. Ha ha ha😜

Oh, synthetic, nvm then. Good stuff. had me worried for a moment. I thought you actually put conventional olive oil in.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, synthetic, nvm then. Good stuff. had me worried for a moment. I thought you actually put conventional olive oil in.
Its that Base 10 synthetic olive oil but I heard the virgin oil is even better.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
What does the Amsoil cost for 6 quarts plus the shipping?

It costs me $37 dollars for Mobil 1 EP and that's for 6 quarts. (#1)-Where can I buy 6 quarts of the top tier Amsoil for $37 dollars?

(#2)-Also when you say Mobil 1 gets thicker are we talking the EP version or the standard Mobil 1? Just curious.

1- Amsoil dealerships. Motorcycle guys pretty much run Amsoil and nothing else. They only deal with small businesses, not big stores like Wal-Mart. Kudos to them. I hate wal-mart

2- Yes.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
1- Amsoil dealerships. Motorcycle guys pretty much run Amsoil and nothing else. They only deal with small businesses, not big stores like Wal-Mart. Kudos to them. I hate wal-mart

2- Yes.
Got ya. Thanks sir. I love Wal Mart. Lol! I can certainly see a benefit to Amsoil if someone was doing 20-25k mile change oil intervals. I could see how spending $100 plus for $10 quarts would be cost effective for those doing extended oil change intervals.

What I can't see is spending the kind of money on Amsoil for those who are changing there oil at 3, 5, 7,500, or 10k mile intervals. That kind of defeats the purpose of Amsoil and having an oil that hold up for 25k miles.

For those who DD and change their oil at 10k and under one could buy 10 quarts of Platinum Ultra for around $58 dollars or Mobil 1 EP. Granted two 10k oil changes equal one 20k Amsoil change but for those who aren't going 20k mile changes Amsoil seems a waste to me.

The question is, how much cleaner will an engine and its components be using Amsoil compared to a Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Further question is even if Amsoil does provide a cleaner engine what does that really mean for the reliability and longevity of that engine over using another synthetic oil.

I have no issue with paying more for something but the benefit has to outway the cost. I am not hearing engines blowing up or failing because someone used Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Platinum. Heck, I have been using Wal Marts super tech synthetic oil for over 10 years on my wife's van and with over six digits on millage, the car and engine runs flawless. 👍

Old 10-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
It looks like the Amzoil is $65 for a gallon.........that would make a pretty expensive 5.0 -- 8 quart oil change!!!!

amzoil | eBay
That guy is off his rocker if he wants $65 for a gallon of Amsoil. You can get it for like $40/gallon from Amsoil's website depending on what you want.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-oil/gasoline/
Old 10-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Its all about the intervals, at this point. As far as wear protection goes, synthetics and conventional oils are equal. However, they don't always last as long and/or maintain those protective characteristics throughout.

Pennzoil, Amsoil, and Mobil 1 are all great oils that will not cause engine failure. I think Pennzoil and Amsoil are the best, but run Mobil 1 if that's what gets you hard
Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

No, yur both wrong. CRISCO is derived from a base VI synthetic implemented from submarine lubrication technology & is the way to go.
olive oil,... Ha!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
That guy is off his rocker if he wants $65 for a gallon of Amsoil. You can get it for like $40/gallon from Amsoil's website depending on what you want.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-oil/gasoline/
JUST REMEMBER- Signature Series is the better oil compared to the XL product.
The "XL" threw me off some years ago, assuming it was a longer interval oil. I should of looked at the pricing as a clue.
I'm going to research Blackstone results for Amsoil DOMINATOR oil for DD or spirited driving habits.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
No, yur both wrong. CRISCO is derived from a base VI synthetic implemented from submarine lubrication technology & is the way to go.
olive oil,... Ha!
ok this guy is just plain crazy. i think hes trolling us.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got a 100k maint pkg from dealer. Now I'm wondering. Was promised full synthetic. Not in writing. Thoughts?

COYOTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by COYOTE6 View Post
I got a 100k maint pkg from dealer. Now I'm wondering. Was promised full synthetic. Not in writing. Thoughts?

Not in writing, my guess is you will get the Motorcraft blend.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #66
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by COYOTE6 View Post
Both Ford dealers here stock a semi-synthetic, and a full synthetic oil. Both are Motorcraft brands.......but you know that Ford does not make these, and I've never gotten a really satisfying answer as to who does.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

keep in mind a lot of the additive packs and their chemistry are made by one company, and then sold to multiples. Few of them have their own proprietary additive (am i using the right word?) basically, amsoil is proud of their own exclusive additive pack. they say its not sae approved because they dont want to spend the money to have it tested every time they come out with a new standard. I dont remember who they claimed has the same bought additives though. i want to believe that pennzoil (shell) makes their own. but i dont know for sure.

oh and supposedly, conoco-phillips makes motorcrafts oil.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
keep in mind a lot of the additive packs and their chemistry are made by one company, and then sold to multiples. Few of them have their own proprietary additive (am i using the right word?) basically, amsoil is proud of their own exclusive additive pack. they say its not sae approved because they dont want to spend the money to have it tested every time they come out with a new standard. I dont remember who they claimed has the same bought additives though. i want to believe that pennzoil (shell) makes their own. but i dont know for sure.

oh and supposedly, conoco-phillips makes motorcrafts oil.
That is all correct^

Most manufacturers get the same base oil, then assemble a cookie-cutter additive package. Amsoil makes their own additive package, which is what sets it apart. I do not know what Pennzoil does, but it is also working well for them.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
Its that Base 10 synthetic olive oil but I heard the virgin oil is even better.
fenixignition
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
olive oil,... Ha!
-------------------------------------------------------------
ok this guy is just plain crazy. i think hes trolling us.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Poor humor perhaps, BUT, seriously- CRISCO was first used as a lubricant inside of submarine engines prior to mothers across America in the 1970's and 1980's frying french fries, chicken and scooping cup fulls to make pie crust.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #70
Registered Member

Regular

Heck, even my wife noticed the other day when we drove the car how much quieter the engine is running! It is very noticeable...........smoother running, quiet and smooth. I am very pleased.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT