Last oil change, put in Pennzoil Platinum, and I notice the engine is running quieter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Last oil change, put in Pennzoil Platinum, and I notice the engine is running quieter

We now have 6,100 miles on our GT, and I got the oil changed on the new engine at 1,000 miles with Ford's semi-synthetic. We just got the oil changed at 6,100 miles.
We have a convertible and I always pull into the garage with the top down, then put it up after giving the engine a listen at idle.
The engine always seemed a little on the noisy side with various noises..........not bad, really....you could just hear more of the pieces inside the block than I thought you would. Valvetrain, injection noises (and yes, I know oil will NOT make those quieter), combustion, etc. echoed around the garage.
Now, if I did NOT have a convertible with the top down, and was not listening to the engine in an enclosed space, I might not have posted this thread...............but...............Pulling into the garage, and listening to the engine after the install of the Pennzoil Platinum, I was very surprised to notice a real difference in the way the engine sounded. It was quieter by a noticeable amount. I was surprised, and I had to think a couple of days as to whether I was even going to post this information, as I knew I'd better have my flame suit on.
I am hoping that at least one other user of synthetic oil might have noticed the same thing?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
No suit needed. I use Pennzoil Platinum in my 14 3.7. Always do my own oil changes. Got mine new a year ago Labor Day. Changed 1st time @ 2k miles last Dec. Changed it again Wed @ 7500 miles. I'll do it every 5k now. I know some say a waste to change at 5k but that will likely be a tad short of yearly for me. No unusual noises from my at this time.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I had used Super tech synthetic oil for years at 7,500 oil change intervals and never noticed any engine noise. Now I use Mobil 1 extended performance and go 10k miles , once a year and still no engine noise.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Panther........do you know what the volatility rating is for Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Panther........do you know what the volatility rating is for Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20?
Yeah. It is 8.6% (as of 2014). For a 5w-20, that is good. Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-20 is up around 14%, which is mediocre. The only thing motorcraft 5w-20 has going for it is high compressive resistance, IIRC.

I think the other properties of the oil, like viscosity, are playing a bigger role in the sound you're hearing, but volatility affects all of those properties over the long haul.

Oil density, viscosity, emulsification, and even just the amount of oil in the engine can change the way it sounds. Couple that with the break-in, and I believe you did hear a difference at 6,100 miles.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Pennzoil Platinum is an oil known for extraordinary detergent package, perfect for new engines and keeping engines spotless internally.
I'm thank full for not having a tick or any other noises so as the 3rd owner, i just keep going with Mobil1 ES 5W-20.
BITOG has lab testing results from Pennzoil Platinum and it is recognized as an excellent oil.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I am impressed with the data I have seen from Pennzoil. I do not work closely with it, but its not hard to research it. Certain Pennzoil products are probably even better than Amsoil's equivalent product. They are the top two manufacturers, from what I have seen.

The only thing that could change my mind is new data
Old 10-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

weird. I always thought of pennzoil as a whatever, so so oil. but I have been hearing a lot of good things about pennzoil platinum all over the place. ive been trying to stick with one oil (motorcraft 5w30) and have 6 quarts of oil ready for the next oil change, but have been contemplating switching back to full synthetic.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
weird. I always thought of pennzoil as a whatever, so so oil. but I have been hearing a lot of good things about pennzoil platinum all over the place. ive been trying to stick with one oil (motorcraft 5w30) and have 6 quarts of oil ready for the next oil change, but have been contemplating switching back to full synthetic.
My mother uses 5W 20 convential motor oil and has 280k plus miles on her vehicle. Changes the oil and filter every 5k and the engine still runs flawless. She doesn't use synthetic oil. She doesn't use synthetic blend. Its just traditional whatever brand oil and 280k miles strong.

The bottom line with oil is this. Just change it on a regular basis and or follow the manufacturers oil change guidelines and the engine will be good too go. I would like to see any evidence that shows engine A will last longer, with fewer issues using brand X oil over same engine A using brand C oil and same engine A using brand B oil. Same oil change intervals and all.

I'm betting that Engine A will last just as long regardless of using Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Mobil 1EP, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol GTX, Valvoline Fully Synthetic, etc. Just routinely change the oil and filter.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

pretty much been my mentality for the most part. regular oil changes makes up the majority of the engines life. The main difference is the additive packets. whats weird is that the tundra calls for 5w20. i didnt have a chance to try 5w30 in mobil super
Old 10-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I'm betting that Engine A will last just as long regardless of using Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Mobil 1EP, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol GTX, Valvoline Fully Synthetic, etc. Just routinely change the oil and filter.
You are probably absolutely right........but I was still impressed with how much smoother and quieter the engine sounded, as expressed above.
You rarely hear of ANY "oil related" engine failure anymore. But, you do see various engine tear downs from various oil usages where the internals are cleaner than others. I am happy to hear that in some ratings, the Pennzoil Platinum keeps your engine internals 40% cleaner than other oils.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are probably absolutely right........but I was still impressed with how much smoother and quieter the engine sounded, as expressed above.
You rarely hear of ANY "oil related" engine failure anymore. But, you do see various engine tear downs from various oil usages where the internals are cleaner than others. I am happy to hear that in some ratings, the Pennzoil Platinum keeps your engine internals 40% cleaner than other oils.
Well, I can believe that some oils have better additives that keep internals cleaner than others but I wonder if engines are failing on those engines that are less clean

Old 10-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well, I can believe that some oils have better additives that keep internals cleaner than others but I wonder if engines are failing on those engines that are less clean
Well, that was my point.......engines CAN run with a ton of crud on the intake valves and in the crankcase.......you just never hear of any oil, changed at proper intervals, being a direct cause of engine failure.......but when an engine is torn down, some oils keep the internals cleaner than others.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

there was a time when you could open an engine and see a ton of sludge and say "yep, this guy used quaker state." now its just "yep, this idiot didnt change his oil for 20k miles."
Old 10-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
there was a time when you could open an engine and see a ton of sludge and say "yep, this guy used quaker state." now its just "yep, this idiot didnt change his oil for 20k miles."
Well actually, Amsoil claims one can go 20k miles in between oil changes along with their extended oil filter. I would love to see the inside engine of a car that has 100k miles on it that had 5 Amsoil oil changes. 20k mile oil change intervals of Amsoil after 100k miles. See how clean the engine is. Lol.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

yea. but i think most people who go 20k miles without an oil change go to jiffy lube.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
yea. but i think most people who go 20k miles without an oil change go to jiffy lube.
And the employee there takes out the drain plug.........then pokes the open hole with a big screwdriver so the oil will start to drain.........YUCK!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ha ha ha. Hate that place. Hacks. Lol

Old 10-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I currently work with a guy who worked at jiffy lube for a few years. He don't know too much about cars. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My mother uses 5W 20 convential motor oil and has 280k plus miles on her vehicle. Changes the oil and filter every 5k and the engine still runs flawless. She doesn't use synthetic oil. She doesn't use synthetic blend. Its just traditional whatever brand oil and 280k miles strong.

The bottom line with oil is this. Just change it on a regular basis and or follow the manufacturers oil change guidelines and the engine will be good too go. I would like to see any evidence that shows engine A will last longer, with fewer issues using brand X oil over same engine A using brand C oil and same engine A using brand B oil. Same oil change intervals and all.

I don't believe that to be true from my past experiences.
- The green Mustang had a thermostat fail on a 100* day and the engine temperature rose very high.
-The white one had the radiator cooling fan lock up last week and the engine temp was high.
~Without Mobil1 ES in these extreme instances, I dont think I would of had the same protection with conventional oil. Both times I shut the engine off immediately, made the repair, changed the oil again.
The green Mustang has 375,000 miles on it. dyno'ed strong as hell.
The white one has 100,000 miles, beautiful purring mod motor.
I will pay for the extra protection and the extended oil change intervals.
That's my reasoning.
My 2 Cents.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Well actually, Amsoil claims one can go 20k miles in between oil changes along with their extended oil filter. I would love to see the inside engine of a car that has 100k miles on it that had 5 Amsoil oil changes
Quote:
Not true. I use Amsoil and go 20,000 between oil changes on my daily drivers. Not only do I change my own oil I also tune my own cars.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Not true. I use Amsoil and go 20,000 between oil changes on my daily drivers. Not only do I change my own oil I also tune my own cars.
I am curious.......how black IS the oil when it drains after 20,000 miles?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
The color is insignificant. What is are the lab results that come back from Blackstone on the condition of the oil.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
The color is insignificant. What is are the lab results that come back from Blackstone on the condition of the oil.
And?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your one of the few people on here that I have heard go 20k mile oil change intervals. Not saying the oil doesn't last that long but how are the Blackstone lab results for you? Would you kindly share the lab findings with us. Would love to see them.

Do you change the oil filter in between or use the same Amsoil extended drain oil filter for the whole 20k miles? The Mobil 1 EP only guarantees protection for 15k miles which I don't do in a years time anyway.

Clearly you put some millage on your car in a year so Amsoil is doing you right.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, so let me ask this question and not trying to be sarcastic in any way. Heck, maybe I'll start using Amsoil but trying to understand this. I am currently using Mobil 1 EP. If I change my oil every 10k mile change intervals what benefit do I or someone else using Amsoil over Mobil 1 EP, Royal Purple, Redline or Pennzoil Platinum. Being that Amsoil is more costly than the other brands, what benefit does my engine get from it over the other oils mentioned here changing at 10k oil change intervals.

Why use Amsoil if not changing 20k mile change intervals? Will my engine last longer or have less sludge built up by using Amsoil over Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 EP, Royal Purple?

Old 10-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

-I think that they each have their highlighted strengths & benefits and you choose one depending on the power plant, how its going to be driven, and current condition of the engine, right?
~Joe Gibb's oil would benefit a one day race track visit and not so much a daily driver.
-I usually go over 10K miles & change the Motorcraft oil filter half way.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, so let me ask this question and not trying to be sarcastic in any way. Heck, maybe I'll start using Amsoil but trying to understand this. I am currently using Mobil 1 EP. If I change my oil every 10k mile change intervals what benefit do I or someone else using Amsoil over Mobil 1 EP, Royal Purple, Redline or Pennzoil Platinum. Being that Amsoil is more costly than the other brands, what benefit does my engine get from it over the other oils mentioned here changing at 10k oil change intervals.

Why use Amsoil if not changing 20k mile change intervals? Will my engine last longer or have less sludge built up by using Amsoil over Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 EP, Royal Purple?

-Less vaporized oil entering your intake from crankcase breather = Cleaner combustion chamber and intake valve

-Oil stays within viscosity index longer = Better oil migration on cold startups

-Oil will not burn away as easily if the engine overheats at some point

-Better wear protection (Less metallic molecules will be in oil when you drain it, they will still be part of your engine )
Old 10-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
"The blackness of my oil.. is blacker than the inside of a coffin.... on a moonless night."

sorry, had to. lol.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a quote from an article in the link.

"In addition to this, a NASCAR team sent me three high zinc synthetic Mobil 1 Racing Oils for testing, because they were having wear problems when using these oils (more on that below). Lab Report Data from testing performed on these oils by Professional Lab, “ALS Tribology” in Sparks, Nevada, showed that on average, these oils contained 1774 ppm zinc, 1658 ppm phosphorus, and 1444 ppm moly. And because these were all high zinc oils, most folks would “assume” that they’d provide sufficient wear protection. However, the results of my testing showed that these oils only provided POOR WEAR PROTECTION CAPABILITY. So, they were NOT a good choice for their racing application, which confirmed why they had wear problems."

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
Old 10-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

That article is by no means excellent, but it is easy to read and it will get you familiar with how wear-protection is measured and why it matters.

You can pick the right oil for your engine if you know what you have going on with the oil and what kind of intervals you want.

I don't like the mentality of "Oh this one says mobil on it so I'm gonna get it because somebody told me its good". You have the internet now. You can literally learn whatever the hell you want now as long as you are half decent at finding a good source and confirming information.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
-Less vaporized oil entering your intake from crankcase breather = Cleaner combustion chamber and intake valve

-Oil stays within viscosity index longer = Better oil migration on cold startups

-Oil will not burn away as easily if the engine overheats at some point

-Better wear protection (Less metallic molecules will be in oil when you drain it, they will still be part of your engine )
Very good. So Amsoil 5W30 will stay 30 weight the whole 10k compared to say Mobil 1 EP 5W30 will sheer down in that same 10k miles.

So with all those added benefits as you mentioned, will ones engine have fewer issues or last longer? Is the Amsoil worth the added cost for those benefits especially for people who do nothing but DD or semi DD their cars? Not saying it isn't worth it!

Old 10-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very good. So Amsoil 5W30 will stay 30 weight the whole 10k compared to say Mobil 1 EP 5W30 will sheer down in that same 10k miles.

So with all those added benefits as you mentioned, will ones engine have fewer issues or last longer? Is the Amsoil worth the added cost for those benefits especially for people who do nothing but DD or semi DD their cars? Not saying it isn't worth it!

Non and non fed. I $uck!
The Mobil 1 will actually get thicker, so it could be more like 20w-50 when you drain it. That's not good for cold starts.

Your engine will have less wear with oils that do better on the wear portion of the testing. Some engines will benefit from it more than others.

Running Amsoil does not cost more, unless you use the intervals needed for the more volatile oils with worse Viscosity Index ratings. Daily driving is benefitted by the durability of Amsoil and Pennzoil.

And I know you're not trying to say its not worth it. You're asking questions and looking into things, Kudos to you for that
Old 10-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
The Mobil 1 will actually get thicker, so it could be more like 20w-50 when you drain it. That's not good for cold starts.

Your engine will have less wear with oils that do better on the wear portion of the testing. Some engines will benefit from it more than others.

Running Amsoil does not cost more, unless you use the intervals needed for the more volatile oils with worse Viscosity Index ratings. Daily driving is benefitted by the durability of Amsoil and Pennzoil.

And I know you're not trying to say its not worth it. You're asking questions and looking into things, Kudos to you for that
What does the Amsoil cost for 6 quarts plus the shipping?

It costs me $37 dollars for Mobil 1 EP and that's for 6 quarts. Where can I buy 6 quarts of the top tier Amsoil for $37 dollars?

Also when you say Mobil 1 gets thicker are we talking the EP version or the standard Mobil 1? Just curious.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
What does the Amsoil cost for 6 quarts plus the shipping?
It looks like the Amzoil is $65 for a gallon.........that would make a pretty expensive 5.0 -- 8 quart oil change!!!!

amzoil | eBay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT