Purchasing My First Mustang (2016 GT) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #1

Region: New Hampshire
Purchasing My First Mustang (2016 GT)

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer. I'm gonna be buying a 2016 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Magnetic Gray, 5.0, Manual, Performance Package, Premier Trim and Equipment 400A. I have listed the exact specs below.

Are there any major issues with these concerning engine or transmission?

Does it look like I'm missing anything that I'll regret I didn't get after the purchase?

I'm looking at exhaust and considering something Ford offers or aftermarket by Borla, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Engine: V-8 cyl Stock #: 0F241228 Fuel Type: Premium Unleaded Transmission: 6 spd Manual Trim: GT Premium Make: Ford MPG Range: 15/25 Drivetrain: Rear-wheel Drive Engine Class: 5.0L Exterior Color: Magnetic Bodystyle: Coupe Interior Color: Ebony VIN: 1FA6P8CF6G5241228 Year: 2016 Model Code: P8C

Included Packages

GT Performance Package ($2,690)
Wheels: 19" x 9" Fr & 19" x 9.5" Rr Ebony Black
Tires: 255/40R19 Fr & 275/40R19 Rr Summer-Only
Engine Turn Aluminum Instrument Panel
Gauge Pack
HD Front Springs
Larger Radiator
Spoiler Delete
3.73 TORSEN Limited-Slip Rear Axle Ratio
Unique Stability Control
Larger Brake Rotors

Premier Trim w/Color Accent Group ($395)
Ebony Interior Environment
Satin Brush Aluminum Instrument Panel
Unique Color-Accented Door Trim

Equipment Group 400A ($0)
Engine: 5.0L Ti-VCT V8
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Tires: P235/50R18 BSW AS
Wheels: 18" x 8" Magnetic Painted/Machined
Leather Bucket Seats
Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/Single CD Player
Climate Controlled Heated/Cooled Front Seats
SiriusXM Radio
SYNC 3 Communications & Entertainment System
Donovan514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
It looks like you've picked a fine car to me. Unfortunately I can't tell you in all honesty that you will or will not regret the purchase. I personally would be happy with it. As for the exhaust, the best way to find the setup for you is to listen to what others have done and pick one you like. All that really matters is you are joining the Mustang family. Do post some pictures of it if you are able. And welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Looks Like you are starting off awesome already. I would say wait on exhaust. get the car, listen to others at meets and figure out. Exhaust is SSOOO opinion based. I LOVE mine but I know there are allot of people that would never get it as loud as I have it. I have the raspy X pipes but lots have them. Also, listen live whenever can, ask everyone at meets and have them rev for you. The internet does no justice to sounds.

Post pics. sounds like you are starting at the top end so thats already a plus
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Donovan 514,
I just bought a new 2016 GT with the Perf Pack, non premium. I love this thing and you're gonna love it too. I don't get to drive it too much, since I brought it home on 10/10/15, I only got gas in it twice. I've done considerable homework on these things before I bought my first new car, and I didn't find any issues. As for exhaust, Youtube is a good place to listen to different exhausts (in person is much better), so that's up to you. There are many great products for these cars, tuners, CAI's, exhausts, so get ready to dish out some coin. Don't think twice, go get that car, you'll be glad you did. I certainly am!!!!
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a 16 gt too and im currently waiting on parts from the dealer to install a new shifter. Im a little disappointed because my car has less than 500 miles

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
5inco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The manual transmissions are still giving guys problems. Lots of them.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it. What's going on with the transmission? That's not what wanted to hear...
Old 11-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan514 View Post
Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it. What's going on with the transmission? That's not what wanted to hear...
Wow, you got that right. I'd love to hear what the issue is too. Not having any problems with mine.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The manual transmission is the same junk chinese made MT82 found in the 11-14 v6, v8 and boss cars. They have numerous issues when driven aggressively. Issues range from the clutch pedal sticking to the floor, high rpm lockout, grinding and crunching, failed synchros, horrible shifting in cold weather and other things your Ford dealer generally won't cover under warranty.

It seems that you either get a good one or you get one that could develop any of the aforementioned issues in as little as a few hundred miles.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Admittedly, I guess my homework skills need some touching up. I've since been searching through several threads on whatever forums were talking about it, and I believe you have a point. It's hit or miss. I fortunately haven't witnessed any problems.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Admittedly, I guess my homework skills need some touching up. I've since been searching through several threads on whatever forums were talking about it, and I believe you have a point. It's hit or miss. I fortunately haven't witnessed any problems.
I am very thorough and thought I did my homework too...

About 2000 miles and my car started with all the typical issues.

Ford dealers have been of no real help in my case. The issues have been bad enough that I tried to get Ford to buy my car back, obviously they declined. This issue and their way of handling it have basically convinced me to never buy a new Ford product unless it's absolutely amazing.

Not to say it will happen to you, but if it does, don't expect Ford to do much of anything about it.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Welcome to the forum! And as for exhausts, contact one of your local Mustang clubs and see when their next Mustang show is. If there are a decent number of members with Mustangs attending, there will be lots of aftermarket exhausts there that you can listen to.
There are also lots of Youtube videos that you can search for various brands of exhaust, although those will be a poor example compared to the above.
If you can find someone with a Bassani catback, I think you'd do yourself a favor by listening to it, High quality, very mellow and low sounding idle and part throttle, and a real nice, harder sound under harder whip.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Auto tranny FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

I'm looking at exhaust and considering something Ford offers or aftermarket by Borla, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
After hours and hours of Youtube videos, I went with the Borla S-type Axle Back with an aftermarket H-pipe resonator delete kit. Doing so saved me about $350 compared to the catback and I was able to get the h-pipe instead of the X giving it a slightly deeper sound. At the end of the day I think I spent about $1K.
Overall, I love the way it turned out, its loud when you want it to be and nice and quiet when cruising on the highway.

Hope that helped!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #15

Thanks everyone. Well, nw im kid of concerned about the tranny... Have there a ton of trannt replacements nationally? I ask because it seems like every forum I got on whether it be GM, Nissan or whatever, there are always complaints about transmissions.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

My son recently bought a 2016 gt premium with auto and he loves it. He always had stick before but is very happy with his choice.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Well, nw im kid of concerned about the tranny... Have there a ton of trannt replacements nationally? I ask because it seems like every forum I got on whether it be GM, Nissan or whatever, there are always complaints about transmissions.
Are you going to race yours, or power shift, or short shift it? If not, you'll be fine.
Respect the machinery and the shift forks on any manual trans.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

I have a 14 gt manual trans car and since new had zero issues. I love the car and the trans. So think about it like this. When something works right do people go on a forum and start a thread like this...

"Trans in my new car works like it should"

No that would be dumb.

But when a hand full have problems (and when I say handful I mean you make 100 cars and 1-2 have issues) those people are going to come on here and bash away.

Also, remember that these things are subject to user error. How many guys admit they missed a shift and ground that gear to hell? Very few. But I'd venture to guess many had this play a role in its demise.

I think you will be fine with your choice.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Purchasing My First Mustang (2016 GT)

My son recently bought a 2016 gt premium with auto and he loves it. He always had stick before but is very happy with his choice. And he is saving for a supercharger and the auto will be good for that.
My 13 m6 with TVS is fun on street but hard to make a good pass at the track

Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #20

No, I'm the guy who won't redline once because he's paranoid of breaking something. Especially on a 40K Mustang!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I have a 14 gt manual trans car and since new had zero issues. I love the car and the trans. So think about it like this. When something works right do people go on a forum and start a thread like this...

"Trans in my new car works like it should"

No that would be dumb.

But when a hand full have problems (and when I say handful I mean you make 100 cars and 1-2 have issues) those people are going to come on here and bash away.

Also, remember that these things are subject to user error. How many guys admit they missed a shift and ground that gear to hell? Very few. But I'd venture to guess many had this play a role in its demise.

I think you will be fine with your choice.
^^+1!.............Exactly!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #22

I appreciate all the responses.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
No, I'm the guy who won't redline once because he's paranoid of breaking something. Especially on a 40K Mustang!
But.................but.............but..............in a tunnel, the 5.0 sounds BEAUTIFUL nearing redline........simply mechanical magic!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Before I got the mgw and blowfish bracket I missed a few shifts. It is much better now.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #25

Haha, I know. I'm 33 years old and I will admit that 75% of the reason I'm buying this this is because it sounds bananas. Oh, and 25% because it's a manual.

I remember when I was like 19 and I went for my first ride in a Mustang... It was a friends 1990 LX and he had a Dynomax exhaust and I'm sure a ton of mods... Cams, boared out, etc. I know he had a short throw and some suspension work done. This thing was terrifyingly exhilarating to be driven in. Snapping back in my seat and feeling the power literally right under me. Those cars are so small and so fast. Needless to say, I've wanted a Mustang ever since. I am trading my 2014 Sierra because that truck is our 3rd vehicle. I figure if I am gonna be paying on a toy, I mind as well get a better toy. I love that truck too-- for the record.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Right in this very forum.
Why is my shifter/ transmission so noisy?

Go with the auto and don't look back.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #27

Are there any confirmed transmission failures?
Old 11-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Are there any confirmed transmission failures?
If you can wait a couple of weeks, I am pretty sure this will serve as one:

Dumping the clutch on a coyote, what's the weak link?

See what I mean about respecting the machinery?
Old 11-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Matt,
Congrats on your purchase!
Two practical concerns to be aware of:
1, grey is one of themes difficult colours to see in darkness or inclement weather. It's an appealing color to many, but does have that drawback. Some owners consequently use bright trim on their cars.
2, You'll likely find you have no spare tyre! Rather, you may find small electric inflator and a tyre repair kit. I've been told that they work well, IF the puncture is on the tread and not the sidewall. Because of the long distance driving I do, I bought a full size spare and rim. I've read that these don't fit into the spare well, but in fact mine is a 19" and fits perfectly. Better to me than waiting for an AAA truck to find me on a Mojave highway!
Congrats again!
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #30

Thanks again. I've been considering competition orange as well.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

My local dealer has a gray one coming in next week. The fact that it has not been test driven yet is appealing.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #31

Is the lighting package worth the $400? I cant seem to find a video of this option being shown.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1448131226.826872.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	193873

Yellow is mine- have the M6 with 5k miles. I HAMMER on mine every chance I get and it takes it like a champ. Best decision I ever made.

Yes it's fast, no you can't drive it.
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

"Tire" not "Tyre".
Old 11-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Zero transmission problems for me. Almost 16k miles on my 15 gt (6 speed). Driven in 115 degree heat and 35 degree cold. Driven like an old lady and also like a bank robbery get away driver. No issues at all at the moment.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 15 premium GT non perf pkg, manual transmission. I have a clutch appt w 3500 on it. I don't really care. I love it. Well, except for the fact that the dealer doesn't have parts in stock to fix it whatever the issue is, and it's a 2 day appointment just to diagnose (drop trans). Bear in mind this is a BIG Ford dealer. Worst case, hopefully, I'll upgrade the clutch hose, shifter, trans and clutch down the road, as well as the driveshaft/half shafts.

The clutch pedal is very light and has had minor issues since I picked it up. Intermittent noises, chatters, and, since they first initially diagnosed it, downshift clunks.

That they use a Chinese transmission seems a travesty to all things good. Shareholders be damned, if they need to squeeze a few pennies out of these high perf cars, charge a few extra bucks. Jeez those guys don't follow anywhere near our labor or environmental reqs yet it's "okay" for us to buy their stuff. Ford execs and shareholders should be ashamed. As if their people's rights are less important or like their pollution is not effecting the whole planet. Plus the impact of shipping. It's ridiculous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1448219618.924528.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	193914
COYOTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT