Steeda Jacking Rails 2015 convertible install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Steeda Jacking Rails 2015 convertible install

I wrote two reviews on the Steeda site, and both have not been posted so I will post here. I ordered the Steeda Jacking Rails. The install is supposed to take 15 mins. That may be true for the coupe but it's not true for the convertible. My install took over two hours.

Just a heads up for 2015-16 convertible owners. I am not blaming Steeda! The convertible has an extra brace in the rear, the Ford bolts are installed with Loctite, and the back two holes will not line up with the rail installed which then requires drilling to install the bolts.

The bolts will not just go in either. All 8 required penetrating oil, and several tightens and untightens to get them to tighten all the way back in.

Now that I have them installed I have quit swearing, and I think I can sense a little more overall body firmness when driving. Maybe I'm just dreaming.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Hello Scurfie,

There is a certain amount of "lag time" when a customer writes a review. We want to ensure the review is not spam, written by a competitor, etc. Also, during the review period, we may try to contact the customer to gain my insight to the review.

Your review will be posted shortly.

Unfortunately, as noted on the website, the convertible is a little more labor intensive than the non-convertible - Note: Convertible models require opening up the factory bracing hole to achieve proper fitment. - See more at: Steeda S550 Mustang Ultra Lite Chassis Jacking Rails (15-16 Coupe) | 555-5205 | Free Shipping!

Dreaming or not ... you will be very happy with this product!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Hello Scurfie,

There is a certain amount of "lag time" when a customer writes a review. We want to ensure the review is not spam, written by a competitor, etc. Also, during the review period, we may try to contact the customer to gain my insight to the review.

Your review will be posted shortly.

Unfortunately, as noted on the website, the convertible is a little more labor intensive than the non-convertible - Note: Convertible models require opening up the factory bracing hole to achieve proper fitment. - See more at: Steeda S550 Mustang Ultra Lite Chassis Jacking Rails (15-16 Coupe) | 555-5205 | Free Shipping!

Dreaming or not ... you will be very happy with this product!

Best Regards,

TJ
Hi and thanks for writing a response. My purpose for writing the review was due to the one sentence on your website. The word "may" also. Was my car just different? I am serious when I say the provided bolts would not tighten at first, and had to be removed, and tightened several times to get them in. When the provided bolts wouldn't tighten at all I had to use the Ford bolts. Again is it my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I wrote two reviews on the Steeda site, and both have not been posted so I will post here. I ordered the Steeda Jacking Rails. The install is supposed to take 15 mins. That may be true for the coupe but it's not true for the convertible. My install took over two hours.

Just a heads up for 2015-16 convertible owners. I am not blaming Steeda! The convertible has an extra brace in the rear, the Ford bolts are installed with Loctite, and the back two holes will not line up with the rail installed which then requires drilling to install the bolts.

The bolts will not just go in either. All 8 required penetrating oil, and several tightens and untightens to get them to tighten all the way back in.

Now that I have them installed I have quit swearing, and I think I can sense a little more overall body firmness when driving. Maybe I'm just dreaming.
Hi Scurfie,
I'm new on here, and was interested about your comment about the jacking rails, as well as on the Steeda X brace that you installed. I seem to recall you saying that the X brace made a difference on the structural rigidity of your car (re cowl shake). Are the jacking rails meant to add rigidity also?
I'm asking, as my wife and I are contemplating purchasing a convertible, but I've read a fair bit about how the body of the new stand is not that rigid when the top is chopped off.
Thanks for your time. Nice car BTW!
jollyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjumper View Post
Hi Scurfie,
I'm new on here, and was interested about your comment about the jacking rails, as well as on the Steeda X brace that you installed. I seem to recall you saying that the X brace made a difference on the structural rigidity of your car (re cowl shake). Are the jacking rails meant to add rigidity also?
I'm asking, as my wife and I are contemplating purchasing a convertible, but I've read a fair bit about how the body of the new stand is not that rigid when the top is chopped off.
Thanks for your time. Nice car BTW!
Hi Jolly,
Thanks for the kind comment. My wife and I went for a nice long ride today and for some of the ride I could put the top down. It was sweet.

To your questions. As you may know the convertible comes with the front tower strut brace. The Steeda G Trac brace does tighten the bottom of the car's suspension. Highly recommended modification.

The jacking rails I installed because I thought the car would be in storage in the garage most of the winter. I did have the car on stands with the wheels off for about 2 weeks, until I couldn't take it anymore and put the wheels back on and took the car out for a drive. I do think the rails help "tie" the front and the rear of the mustang a bit. Just my opinion.

No convertible is going to be as rigid as a coupe, but I have to say my car corners really well, potholes and uneven pavement are not an issue, and today I had it up to 110 and my wife didn't notice or complain because my mustang is so planted and smooth.

You will love it, even without the mods. BUT the mods I have done has improved the tracking noticeably. Test drive a GT convertible it's a blast.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Hi Jolly,
Thanks for the kind comment. My wife and I went for a nice long ride today and for some of the ride I could put the top down. It was sweet.

To your questions. As you may know the convertible comes with the front tower strut brace. The Steeda G Trac brace does tighten the bottom of the car's suspension. Highly recommended modification.

The jacking rails I installed because I thought the car would be in storage in the garage most of the winter. I did have the car on stands with the wheels off for about 2 weeks, until I couldn't take it anymore and put the wheels back on and took the car out for a drive. I do think the rails help "tie" the front and the rear of the mustang a bit. Just my opinion.

No convertible is going to be as rigid as a coupe, but I have to say my car corners really well, potholes and uneven pavement are not an issue, and today I had it up to 110 and my wife didn't notice or complain because my mustang is so planted and smooth.

You will love it, even without the mods. BUT the mods I have done has improved the tracking noticeably. Test drive a GT convertible it's a blast.
Hi Scurfie,
Thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly, your handling and suspension is tighter for sure with your chassis mods. What about the overall stiffness of your convertible? Is that better? Has it reduced / eliminated the cowl shake?
BTW, I love all the mods you've made to your stang. If we were to get one, I would perform most of the same mods to ours.
I initially went to look at the coupes and convertibles when they first came out, and I fit in them perfectly. I also quite liked the inside, etc... I was all gung ho on going to take out a vert when the weather got better, but I went online to look at reviews of it, and was disappointed to see many negative reviews regarding the car's rigidity. After this, I never bothered, as I feared I'd be disappointed. I've only recently began looking at forums and different information re the stiffening of the convertible stang. The reviews seem to be positive. Here, the weather has been nasty in the past week (snow, freezing rain, etc...). When the weather improves, we'll make it a point to take one out for a spin.
Cheers,
jolly
jollyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjumper View Post
Hi Scurfie,
Thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly, your handling and suspension is tighter for sure with your chassis mods. What about the overall stiffness of your convertible? Is that better? Has it reduced / eliminated the cowl shake?
No it didn't completely stop some cowl shake. But I think it's much better with the K-Brace and Jacking rails. I would recommend you to reach out to Steeda. They can really help you make the decision!
BTW, I love all the mods you've made to your stang. If we were to get one, I would perform most of the same mods to ours.
I initially went to look at the coupes and convertibles when they first came out, and I fit in them perfectly. I also quite liked the inside, etc... I was all gung ho on going to take out a vert when the weather got better, but I went online to look at reviews of it, and was disappointed to see many negative reviews regarding the car's rigidity. After this, I never bothered, as I feared I'd be disappointed. I've only recently began looking at forums and different information re the stiffening of the convertible stang. The reviews seem to be positive. Here, the weather has been nasty in the past week (snow, freezing rain, etc...). When the weather improves, we'll make it a point to take one out for a spin.
Here's a review that I think sums up the whole Mustang convertible very well: https://youtu.be/PG4q5QvS5YA

I hope this helps you!
Scurfie

Cheers,
jolly
Old 03-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hey Jolly

I have experience with older American convertibles and did not hesitate to buy my new Mustang. The cowl shake that is spoken about exists, true, but what does it detract from? I see no problem with it, and now hardly notice it.

I do plan to get the new BMR CB006 Chassis brace. Strengthening the front end a bit more won't hurt at least not for $99.00. But I will say that when I installed my trailer hitch I had the rear end of the car pretty high in the air with the front wheels still on the ground. I mention this because it you did that with an american vert in the past you'd have trouble opening or closing the doors while elevated like that. This new mustang let me open and close the doors just like it had all four tires on the ground. That helps me say cowl shake is not a big issue, at least not to me.
2016 GT Vert, SB, AT, 3:55s Weathertech, JLT, Steeda, Colgan, Velossa Tech, Coyote Spacers, Diode Dynamics, Shelby GT350 SW, Curt, Goodridge, aFe, MRT, BMR, Kooks, Mishimoto
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Scurfie,

Are you ready to move forward with some Steeda parts

Let me know if i can help assist!

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 03-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Scurfie,

Are you ready to move forward with some Steeda parts

Let me know if i can help assist!

Best Regards,

TJ
I will let you know. I am very happy right now with my mods, and the Steeda K brace and Jacking rails are awesome. Really happy with those two believe me.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hey

Scurfy, do you have any pics available to show how you got the rails to fit?

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Scurfy, do you have any pics available to show how you got the rails to fit?
2016 GT Vert, SB, AT, 3:55s Weathertech, JLT, Steeda, Colgan, Velossa Tech, Coyote Spacers, Diode Dynamics, Shelby GT350 SW, Curt, Goodridge, aFe, MRT, BMR, Kooks, Mishimoto
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a picture showing the rear of the Jacking Rail under the rear bracing. I removed the existing two bolts, and slid the Steeda Jacking Rail under the brace.

After aligning the brace and rail I needed to drill the holes because the holes didn't line up. Repeat on the other side and you're done.

Attaching the front of the Jacking Rail is the same as the coupe. Very easy.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

We now have these available for the convertible:

Part number will be 555-5207 when they are released on the site - you can order via phone at 1800 950 0774.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT