2015 GT automatic or manual? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I say there is a place for both, It all depends on what the car owner likes and that should be the end. Neither one is any better then the other on a street car.

Ronnie
That's what I usually try to say but ppl still get super defensive about their stick shifts. I think there is/was a culture of "stick shift is man box" or something and when someone challenges that with even "the new autos are just as good and in some cases better depending on what you are doing" its like I called their mom a whore. I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
How are the paddle shifters on the new cars?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Everything I hear says they are good but you'll still lose time off your 1/4 not letting the computer shift. Paddles will be good for the road course/autox but that's still going to be ruled by the manuals with a skilled driver. Seems to me more like something that's there just to have fun with on the street which is totally cool.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Seems to me more like something that's there just to have fun with on the street which is totally cool.
To me, using the paddles to hold gears and to shift only when you want it to, makes it better and quicker shifting that any manual I ever used.
I don't see the difference between paddles that hold gears, and having to use a clutch to change gears in the "fun factor."
I've had plenty of manual transmissions through the years:

67 Mustang (200 ci six and three on the floor)
69 Z28
1970 Torino Type N/W in Pacific GREEN.......351 Cleveland and Hurst 4 speed
69 455 GTO (that was a torque monster!)
87 Turbo T-Bird
64 GTO tri power
1979 Mustang Pace Car (5.0 --- but hard to believe how little power it had compared to the latest edition of the engine!!)
97 Cobra (with full Maximum Motorsports Road and Track suspension)
2012 Miata (the most fun you can have with 168 HP!)

For our GT convertible? I'll take the A6 all day long and twice on the Sabbath!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I'd only be happy with owning the auto if it was going to the drag strip a lot. I went from a 14 auto to a 16 manual and I'm so much happier with the manual. The auto was fun and all but not as engaging. Just my thoughts.
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like we've been saying to each their own personal opinion. My opinion is if an auto isn't fun its too slow. But that's just my opinion. I just get a little agitated when the internets racers come in and start spouting off about how much the autos suck lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It is purely personal preference at this point either one has its perks. I have had 3 autos since 2013 and after a tune, car for car I won't lose a straight line battle to a manual. The best thing about the 2015 is that it has paddle shifters, sport modes, and is very very fast when hitting the paddles. It will hold a gear until you slam it into the next one and you get a boost when you do. I've run nitrous which I loved in the automatic and am working on my forced induction now which I can't wait to see how well it does. It is true however, the manuals can not handle as much power as the autos. Food for thought if you wana make big power.
Twisted13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Welcome to Generation 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The auto to me is every bit as fun as the manual especially with the paddle shifters. It gives you the best of both worlds. Plus the autos aren't giving anyone issues whiles the manuals continue to.
Grabber has it right the paddle shift feature is the equalizer. You have control over the shifting if you use them. There is no drawback of the trans over thinking or under thinking a situation you make the call on which gear to be in and when. You just don't have a clutch to activate.
2016 GT Vert, SB, AT, 3:55s Weathertech, JLT, Steeda, Colgan, Velossa Tech, Coyote Spacers, Diode Dynamics, Shelby GT350 SW, Curt, Goodridge, aFe, MRT, BMR, Kooks, Mishimoto
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The $3500 bill to fix it when it dies and the almost $1500 cost for the automatic are also more practical concerns in my book.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #43
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
The $3500 bill to fix it when it dies and the almost $1500 cost for the automatic are also more practical concerns in my book.
You could say the same thing about the MT82. And you don't have to buy a $500 shifter and then install a braided clutch line and do a spring delete to make the MT82 actually shift like its supposed to if you get the auto.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
2015 GT automatic or manual?

Paddle shifting doesn't feel the same to me and the manuals feel livelier. Also it's easier to sell a manual coupe around me then an automatic. That said if I was daily driving in traffic or didn't feel comfortable with a manual I would get the auto. If it is a weekend pleasure car I would get the manual. It gets old driving a manual in traffic every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh... as far as re-sell, if you are buying a car to mod and worrying about re-selling it you are in the wrong hobby. Also, the word is out on the 6R80 and has been for a long time. 2011+ the autos are much MUCH more desirable than autos previously.

Like I keep saying, go drive in a fast automatic with a converter and THEN have a valid opinion of auto vs stick. Until then...

Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #46
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I put a 3,200 rpm stall converter in our 2008 Corvette. With that one change, it felt off the line like I'd added 150 HP...........if you want to launch well and truly enjoy it, with no worries, a stall converter is THE way to go.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT