2015 GT automatic or manual? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
2015 GT automatic or manual?

I am getting a 15 GT soon
I hear bad things about the manual tranny and that it is slower than the automatic car as well as being made in china. My friend said his cluth went out already. What should I get?
racemamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by racemamxx View Post
I am getting a 15 GT soon

I hear bad things about the manual tranny and that it is slower than the automatic car as well as being made in china. My friend said his cluth went out already. What should I get?

It's not slower it's just that most people will run slightly quicker 1/4 mile times with the Auto because the vehicle computer can shift faster than a person. As far as your friends clutch it's probably his driving habits. Properly driven a clutch will last quite a while. The "issues" with the manual transmission are overblown and I actually like my MT82. I would not be afraid of buying a new Mustang Manual right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

2015 GT automatic or manual?

Trans seems fine to me. Most people who complain about it are the ones who flat foot shift and whatnot.
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a manual and its great! if i had to say anything bad about it, it would be the hydraulic clutch takes a little getting used to.
also pleas explain flat foot shifting.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
89 5.0 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
No problems with my MT82. I wouldn't mind another shifter, but so far no issues.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'll cheer on for the auto crowd. 30+ years of driving, 6 Mustangs, all but the first and the last were stick, lots of other cars, too. I have a good base of experience here.

Don't discount the auto til you try it. Three shifting modes, little to no wheelhop, repeatable and easy maximum acceleration, no discernible power loss compared to the stick. With a tune strapped on, the auto is devastating. It's decent stock but tuned, no comparison.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Have fun driving without having to go fast; get a manual

I don't mind the manual at all, haven't had any problems with it but haven't owned a mustang with over 35k miles yet.

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
My first Mustang was a 3spd and my 14 was a 6spd....when I get my new car it will also be a 6spd.
In over 35 years of drag racing I only had one stick...our of 6 different drag only cars....the rest were automatics....why...because they are more consistent. If it were just drag racing I'd say get an automatic.
I loved shifting with my 14 TrakPak... gears were perfect for around town and carving those corners on the highway at speed. Nothing like taking a corner at red line in 5th gear....nothing!
As a cruiser....either way would be great. Sometimes in heavy traffic a stick is a pain.........how many manual transmissions have you had before....how many automatics have you had.....you need to make that determination on your own because you'll be the one that will have to live with.....IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I enjoy my '15 GT Premium w/PP and 6 spd manual. Not a daily driver, so I drive when it's less traffic. I don't drag race anymore, but I do like me some spirited driving, but If I was a serious drag racer I would probably go with the auto. I guess it all depends on your driving situation.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
The best way to chose is drive both and see what you like. The manual & clutch is very easy to drive even in heavy traffic. For most people the auto is faster in a 1/4 mile especially with a performance rear axle ratio. If you are interested in road course track driving the manual is easier to to learn what he old school Cobra guys call apex adjusting

Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryak View Post
The best way to chose is drive both and see what you like. The manual & clutch is very easy to drive even in heavy traffic. For most people the auto is faster in a 1/4 mile especially with a performance rear axle ratio. If you are interested in road course track driving the manual is easier to to learn what he old school Cobra guys call apex adjusting

I guess I haven't been road racing long enough....are you talking about "turn-in point" adjustment.....just never heard it called apex adjustment.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 5.0 stang View Post
I have a manual and its great! if i had to say anything bad about it, it would be the hydraulic clutch takes a little getting used to.

Also called "Power Shifting". It's leaving your foot on the gas while shifting.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I guess I haven't been road racing long enough....are you talking about "turn-in point" adjustment.....just never heard it called apex adjustment.
I think turn in was adjusted by trail braking. Throttle and oversteer was used to correct a too early apex and regain lost time. I first heard this admitted to by Lynn Park often know as Mr. Cobra. Needless to say the Porsche 911 drivers don't recommend this in their driver education events!
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 5.0 stang View Post

I would also like an explanation, please. TIA
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
This is one decision you have to make for your self.
Both are fine transmissions.
I have had many sticks over the years but with my bad hip and left leg, The Automatic is what I needed.
I do miss having a stick but they just don't make the four speed anymore.
Now your stuck with a six speed and shifting gets old fast in the city. Two many useless gears for a Manual transmission. Fine for a car with no torque or horsepower but a four speed would be much better for a car that has enough oomph to use one.
Skipping around the gears is what manual owners learn fast.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryak View Post
I think turn in was adjusted by trail braking. Throttle and oversteer was used to correct a too early apex and regain lost time. I first heard this admitted to by Lynn Park often know as Mr. Cobra. Needless to say the Porsche 911 drivers don't recommend this in their driver education events!
You really need to be careful if you are trying to trail brake because if you don't do it seamlessly why applying the throttle at the turn-out point you'll end up in an oversteer skid.........if you are applying the brakes too early you should try looking further ahead on the track....IMHO
Old 12-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

One thing I have to say about my ole 14 TrakPak is that the 3.73's and 6spd worked extremely well together as you can drive around town in 4th at 25/30mph....the match of the 3.73's with the 6spd was perfect for me...in town or on the highway.
My 03 is not quite as good.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #18

I have a 2015 GT Automatic since june. I'm not a stick guy. I love my automatic it kicks in right away when I punch it. Has great pick up. Not doggy at all. I have a 5.0 V8.
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #19

Plus mine is a 50th Anniversary ED. Race Red. I love it!
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I like both a manual and a good automatic. I do have the automatic in my 2012 V6 and like it a whole lot.
I have hip and leg problems and at times I am glad I do have the automatic.
Of course there are times when I wish it was a manual but the saving grace is that the Ford Automatic in my 2012 is 100% great all of the time. Ford did a very good job designing this auto Trans.
Ronnie
Old 01-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Manual. I've driven both and while the automatic will go a bit faster in a straight line, for everything else, you can completely trash an automatic with a manual and a bit of planning ahead. Take a downhill sweeper in the mountains that transitions to an uphill climb. This is a very common occurance. With an automatic, it starts going downhill and drops into overdrive, then has to think for almost a second before it downshifts two gears to get power back and get the revs up due to the flywheel only going so fast while under torque.

Or you can stay in 3rd the whole way. No shifting, no waiting for it to spin up. The car with manual just pulls away and you wonder what happened. What happened was that computers and hydraulics couldn't plan ahead and see the upcoming hill.

Take heavy traffic. You need to move into a gap quickly. With an automatic, you hit the gas and wait and OH MAN THAT GUY JUST SNUCK IN THERE - as it takes time to start moving from the near idle you were at (despite going 35-40). Or with a manual, you simply drop a gear a few seconds beforehand and when the gap opens up, you jump in immediately.

The Achilles heel of the automatic is how the torque converter locks up and goes into overdrive without your control on most models. I find it annoying and the lag is almost turbo lag bad in some cases. While the Automatic will go 0-60 faster, almost every other maneuver is quicker in a manual.

To fix the manual in the Mustang, you need to stiffen up the shifter ( transmission mount insert ) and something like the Blowfish Racing bracket. Basically with it operating as a solid mount gearbox, you never get locked out under hard acceleration.

To handle your leg wearing out, drive like a truck driver in heavy traffic. Pick a gear, usually 2nd or 3rd and stay in it rather stubbornly. If the gap in front of you changes, oh well. I drive in Los Angeles 75 miles of heavy traffic every day for work with a manual and my leg is fine. I just had to adjust my technique and stop trying to drive a manual like it was an automatic.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

With the automatic, you really do have your choice of two cars. In "D" it shifts early and softer, but still kicks down pretty well if you jump on it.

Put the new auto in "S" and it REALLY wakes up the whole car. The programmers at Ford are absolutely due kudos for how they programmed the "S" setting for curvy roads. It shifts perfectly for deceleration into a corner and for being in the right gear after the apex. It's like the whole car is saying "Yeehaw!".
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Apparently JOberlander does not know or has ever driven a Ford automatic n a newer Mustang or he would know you can shift down when you want to. My 2012 even has a button you can push on the handle that locks out sixth gear.
The Newer Mustangs have a very good ---very crisp--- Automatic and of course not as precise as a stick can still be excellent in performance driving.
You can go to anyauto-X on a Saturday or Sunday and there are always a few Automatic cars running, Surprise ! Some of them do better times then a guy with a stick.
This is 2016 and not 1952 so things have really changed. Quite a few of the "SUPER CARS" are only automatic and no more clutch at all.
It is a driver that makes the difference in performance driving, The Transmission weather it is auto or stick both work fine with a driver that knows what he is doing behind a steering wheel.

Ronnie
Old 01-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

#racemamxx its all aout what you feel, both choices are equally good as loon as you are good with stick shift, if you aren't you can learn quickly.

Automatic wil only give you a just little bit less MPG because you can have better control over stick.

at least thats my opinion and i would go for stick every time, bean driving stick for 15 years now with one year exception when i had automatic.

cheers
Kresimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I think it comes down to personal opinion but the guys above have brought up some great points.

For me, I will always choose the manual. I think it is a more engaging driving experience that makes me feel like a part of the car.

Also in America, it's a great excuse if you don't want other people driving your car and cuts the population of people who could possibly steal your car in half. Of course this isn't 1952 as stated above so anti-theft technology does a better job of protecting your car but it's still a fun thought.

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

i could not agree more, bottom line is your preference
-BAMA Performance Tune (with handheld tuner), Ford Performance Touring Axle-Back Exhaust, Ford Performance X-Pipe,Ford Performance Short-Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro-Kit Suspension, Airade Synthemax Cold Air Intake, Roush Heat Extractor Vents, Matte Black Hood Wrap
Kresimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

I think the subject has been covered pretty well and nothing much I can add. When I was young an automatic was for elderly people......then I started drag racing in the early 70's and a lot of people were still using sticks...I started with automatic and all 5 drag only cars I owned had them...the last was a 2spd and more consistent than 95% of the stick cars......low maintenance also. I bought my 14 TrakPak after not having a stick for almost 20 years and loved it. I am about ready to take delivery of a 16 ATS-V...........it will have a 6spd manual also.....just something about a manual.
It's your car and you are going to have to live with for at least a couple of years so follow YOU'RE heart.........not some else's!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:48 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
This is one decision you have to make for your self.
Both are fine transmissions.
I have had many sticks over the years but with my bad hip and left leg, The Automatic is what I needed.
I do miss having a stick but they just don't make the four speed anymore.
Now your stuck with a six speed and shifting gets old fast in the city. Two many useless gears for a Manual transmission. Fine for a car with no torque or horsepower but a four speed would be much better for a car that has enough oomph to use one.
Skipping around the gears is what manual owners learn fast.
Ronnie
I guess everyone is different.

I am 28 and I learned to drive on Automatic at 16 and i have heard nothing but what you have been saying driving a manual is fun but annoying in traffic/city. Well living in Atlanta ...traffic is terrible so even when i was getting a 2014 v6 mustang i asked around and many people mentioned dont get manual due to traffic its scary on the hills blah blah blah so I GOT AN AUTOMATIC. Well when i decided to get a 2015 GT i already made up my mind i was getting a manual (that was one of the reason i decided to upgrade).

Anyway ever since i got it i dont think i would EVER EVER recommend someone get a sports car that is not manual. Driving a MANUAL is so much more fun and you feel so much more connected to the carr. On top of that driving in traffic is not nearly as bad as people made it out to be actually makes the missary of sitting in traffic a bit less miserable ...if that even makes any sense lol.

Now with you having a bad hip/leg i can see what you are saying.

Here is my recommendation...

If someone is getting a truck/SUV/Sadan then i might say get an automatic because its more convenient.

If you are looking to buy a Mustang GT then you really love driving and you love cars so you should buy a manual even if you dont know how to drive a manual. Took me 2 days to learn how to drive my Mustang and yes i test drove Mustang GT automatic it was the only way i could test drive the GT before i bought it. I took my brother in law to the dealership to pick up my Manual because i didnt know how to drive it.

Sorry for long post i got carried away but hopefully it will help other people that were in same situation as me.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The auto to me is every bit as fun as the manual especially with the paddle shifters. It gives you the best of both worlds. Plus the autos aren't giving anyone issues whiles the manuals continue to.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey 1800CoolGuy,
Congratulations on your new Mustang.
Ronnie
Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If your auto isn't fun its because its slow. Manual wins on a road course/corner carving and illegal roll racing. Everything else the automatic runs a train on the manual.

I will bet any amount of money that a vast VAST majority of people in forums like this have never even ridden in a fast auto with a converter much less driven one.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If your auto isn't fun its because its slow. Manual wins on a road course/corner carving and illegal roll racing. Everything else the automatic runs a train on the manual.

I will bet any amount of money that a vast VAST majority of people in forums like this have never even ridden in a fast auto with a converter much less driven one.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how MANY people have both ridden in and driven street and race only cars with both stock and heavily built automatics with converters.............nothing like brings the tach to 5000rpm and releasing the transbrake...........what a ride!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm not saying ppl who actually build and race fast cars, I'm talking about the interwebs forums. At any rate, yes agreed, go ride in a really high powered fast auto with a good converter setup and you may never drive a stick again. My 2000 is a stick and I'm keeping it that way for now but if I start taking it to the 1/4 mile as often as I think I am going to I'm converting to a 4R75w. Its stupid easy for 99-04 cars to do so.

However... it really is all down to personal preference. Some people prefer stick, some prefer auto, some like both but like I said too many ppl just bash the auto because "lol 2 pedal sports car" or something. I dunno how many times in this very forum I see e-racers posting things like "well the stick will be faster at the track" haha.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I say there is a place for both, It all depends on what the car owner likes and that should be the end. Neither one is any better then the other on a street car.

Ronnie
Old 01-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

How are the paddle shifters on the new cars?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT