Got my first police report today - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Got my first police report today

So I took the misses out for a child free dinner this evening and decided I didn't wanna park super far away. Found a nice spot next to a brand new Mercedes S550 and said to the wife "no way he will hit my yellow car with his black door". Went in, had dinner and came out to Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449798630.203295.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	194720 I flipped out. Wifey comes over calms me and says it wasn't that Mercedes it was the CRV parked right there as she points to the yellow paint on the door. So I call the police to file a report cause I have no idea when the owner will be back to get insurance info. Cop shows up and is a huge mustang fan and she is as bummed as I am. Tell her the story, show the photos and she starts on the report. Has her dispatch call the owner. Woman comes out of the gym and claims it wasn't her. The cop shows my door, then shows my paint on her door. Her husband shows up and we do the same dance. He offers to settle but I want to get estimates cause idk if they will paint it or replace the handle or what.

So after the back story the reason I'm here is I've heard sometimes insurance don't cover door dings cause they are so small. Also, anybody know how this will be handled as far as repair or replace? Any idea the cost of a new handle? Does it affect the fob in the handle? Anything will help. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449799453.316250.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	194721Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449799480.212841.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	194722

Yes it's fast, no you can't drive it.
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Region: Florida
Sucks same thing happened to me it but I wasn't lucky like u mine was on the body line driver door and it happens to be another mustang

Thank God I was able to get the ding out with paintless ding removal and like it was never there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
rlma84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Call the police over that little thing lmao I'm sorry but I would have told you to go 🖕🏼yourself

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Call the police over that little thing lmao I'm sorry but I would have told you to go 🖕🏼yourself

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
++1^^^^
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
😏 +2

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
+3, should've parked further/walked further if you're that concerned.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I wouldn't have called the police BUT I would have left a momento for her with my key down the side of her door. F people like that. I'm careful opening my door next to anyone else's car no matter what it is. I respect their property and mine. But when someone bangs theirs into the side of your car, it says " I don't give a F about anyone else but me" and that I will not stand for.
Sometimes it's a legit accident...but she obviously was one of those d bags by the way she acted when confronted..even with paint evidence right there in her face...still denying it.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Call the police over that little thing lmao I'm sorry but I would have told you to go yourself

and fed coyote.
At which time, I would swing my door into your car, point at the golf ball sized door ding in the side of your car, and ask you, "Is that big enough to be concerned about"?

It doesn't matter how much damage there is. A perfect stranger damaged the OP's property and they should have to pay to get it repaired. If more people were made to pay for the damage that they cause opening their doors in parking lots, I'll bet everyone would be a hell of a lot more careful.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
So, is there a particular threshold of somone causing damage to your car where you would involve law enforcement?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

There is no way that that tiny chip is worth wasting a police officers time and getting insurance involved. There's bigger things in life to worry about.

kona010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Wow, so no one has actually answered your question here OP.

The door handle has zero effect on the key fob. It's a pretty common item replaced in an accident. They are made to break. Just plastic.

They do have to be painted. My guess is about an hour labor to remove and replace (typically can be done with one bolt without removing the door panel) it's easy peasy. Then a scuff and paint will prob be a minimum charge of 150 bucks or so (at a dealer or reputable repair shop). So you are looking at prob 200-250 if I had to guess.

I don't think you overreacted. I would have done the same thing. Don't listen to these other guys who were not there and it didn't happen to their cars. How else would you have contacted this excuse for a person otherwise? And you shouldn't have to be out the money or an insurance deductible to fix. If this person hit the handle with their car while behind the wheel it is considered an accident but just because they accosted your car with the keys out of the ignition it's any less significant? Not to mention the ex traffic cop who suggests keying the other persons car? Yeah that solves your problem. So as unpopular as my little rant will be, I don't care. Good on you for keeping your cool and getting justice. Good luck on the repair.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks, Oxford.........I feel the same way. And the suggestion to damage the other's car is reprehensible.............
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

What really astounds me, is how the OP was even able to get a police officer to show up and write a police report for a door ding that occured on private property?!?
Around these parts, they will rarely come to a non-injury accident on public roads! And don't even bother asking them to show up for a parking lot fender-bender! Lol

I think that the OP did the right thing by taking the time to take this person to task for the damage that was done. I know that it seems minor, but like Oxford pointed out, even the small things can cost $2-300 to fix.
And I'll bet that this is not the first car that this person carelessly opened their door into.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
I missed the keying post...WAYLAP! Lol

Although I would never advocate keying someone's car, in Waylap's defense, I probably wouldn't have gone to all of that trouble to find those people either.
If I was positive that the car beside me had caused the damage, it would have received a retaliatory door ding, and I would be on my merry way.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Thanks, Oxford.........I feel the same way. And the suggestion to damage the other's car is reprehensible.............
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Then you would have woke up on your back, on the ground, wondering what the H*ll hit you and I would have got my car paid for at your expense.

Lmao 👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
So, is there a particular threshold of somone causing damage to your car where you would involve law enforcement?

Nope I don't call the police just saying

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
OP, that stinks. But ya lucked out with the cop.

Guys, remember it's a car forum lets keep it nice
Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey, Calling the Police is what you do. Get the Police report. Get an estimate on how much to do the repair. Call the person that did the damage and see if they want to settle up. If yes"GREAT" if NO then call your insurance company and they will fix the damage and bill the guy that did the damages insurance company.

One thing good is, The person that did the damage will think twice about door banging again.

Of course if the person does not have insurance the Police would have found out and cited him for that.

Don't worry about calling the Police for something like this because that is what they are supposed to do. It is a part of their work day to report events like this.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post

The door handle has zero effect on the key fob. It's a pretty common item replaced in an accident. They are made to break. Just plastic.

They do have to be painted. My guess is about an hour labor to remove and replace (typically can be done with one bolt without removing the door panel) it's easy peasy. Then a scuff and paint will prob be a minimum charge of 150 bucks or so (at a dealer or reputable repair shop). So you are looking at prob 200-250 if I had to guess.

I don't think you overreacted. I would have done the same thing. Don't listen to these other guys who were not there and it didn't happen to their cars. How else would you have contacted this excuse for a person otherwise? And you shouldn't have to be out the money or an insurance deductible to fix. If this person hit the handle with their car while behind the wheel it is considered an accident but just because they accosted your car with the keys out of the ignition it's any less significant? Not to mention the ex traffic cop who suggests keying the other persons car? Yeah that solves your problem. So as unpopular as my little rant will be, I don't care. Good on you for keeping your cool and getting justice. Good luck on the repair.
+1
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I personally would not call the police on something minor like that what I would do though is confront the person get their insurance info and a license if they would denyhitting my car then that's when I will get the police involved

Old 12-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post

I'm with Ox on this. The OP paid, or is paying good money for the car he really wanted. OP should be able to park his car wherever he chooses without having to worry about some d-bag damaging it, big or small. You did what you needed to do, also you reacted in the correct way. You didn't resort to retaliation. You just want your car fixed. Hope it all works out for ya.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
I personally would not call the police on something minor like that what I would do though is confront the person get their insurance info and a license if they would denyhitting my car then that's when I will get the police involved

But then why lengthen the time you are at the scene? Op did not want to sit in a parking lot waiting for police to arrive. Two birds, one stone.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'd rather not call the police and assume the person after seeing their paint on my car would realize what they did and give up their information so the insurance companies could deal with it. Again if the person was ignorant and denied hitting the car then that's when I will call the police and not to prolong what's going on but just because it's something very minor and most likely can be handled without the police involved I have a few friends that are police officers and they always complain about getting called to minor incidents such as this when it could be handled by the parties that are involved

Old 12-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
I'd rather not call the police and assume the person after seeing their paint on my car would realize what they did and give up their information so the insurance companies could deal with it. Again if the person was ignorant and denied hitting the car then that's when I will call the police and not to prolong what's going on but just because it's something very minor and most likely can be handled without the police involved I have a few friends that are police officers and they always complain about getting called to minor incidents such as this when it could be handled by the parties that are involved

I agree with you, but the OP stated that he called police because he didn't know when the person would show up. The police then took it upon themselves to find the person. I too have friends that are in law enforcement, but that's what they get paid for. "to serve and protect", that's what it says on their cars and the oath they take. I JUST HOPE IT ENDS WELL FOR THE Op.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #27

I got info from the other person and they paid for the fix police wouldn't even come out for a door ding in my area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
rlma84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTech View Post
I agree with you, but the OP stated that he called police because he didn't know when the person would show up. The police then took it upon themselves to find the person. I too have friends that are in law enforcement, but that's what they get paid for. "to serve and protect", that's what it says on their cars and the oath they take. I JUST HOPE IT ENDS WELL FOR THE Op.

I guess I missed the part where he said that he couldn't find them

Old 12-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
yeah, check your deductible; here it's $700, i think; it's like having a chip in your windshield; or a scratch; insurance won't cover anything minor;
take photos; get time, date, location; witnesses...
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Always get the police involved! Period! A door ding or half the front end smashed up! Don't trust anyone! I've been burnt to many times by liars! You get their information, then they deny everything. And then your stuck with the bill because they don't have a brain in their head how to open a door properly!!! Absolutely no regard for somebody else's property. I had a door ding on the crease of a fender the size of a dime that cost me $1400.00 bucks to fix! I Park a mile and a half from were I'm going, and some idiot always decides to park beside me! They must think it's cool to be beside my Stang!!!! Friggen retards! Respect my space, I've worked hard for everything I have, I take care of it..... if you want to have crap.... so be it.... just stay away from me!
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB View Post
Always get the police involved! Period! A door ding or half the front end smashed up! Don't trust anyone! I've been burnt to many times by liars! You get their information, then they deny everything. And then your stuck with the bill because they don't have a brain in their head how to open a door properly!!! Absolutely no regard for somebody else's property. I had a door ding on the crease of a fender the size of a dime that cost me $1400.00 bucks to fix! I Park a mile and a half from were I'm going, and some idiot always decides to park beside me! They must think it's cool to be beside my Stang!!!! Friggen retards! Respect my space, I've worked hard for everything I have, I take care of it..... if you want to have crap.... so be it.... just stay away from me!
BOOM! *drops mic*
Old 12-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Nope I don't call the police just saying

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
You saw my car's damage. So you still wouldn't file a report for a hit like that?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I'm sorry to hear about the chip. This is exactly why I got Auto-Armor with its 7 year warranty guaranteed against all chips. Someone chips me, they fix it. Done. Doesn't help with dings, of course... But still. I've had mine since 2012. No chips or scratches that I'm aware of...

(Figures. Paid nearly $1000 for that kind of warranty and I've never needed it so far. Unless the auto armor stuff actually works and I never knew... Possible. All I know is if I didn't get it, someone would slam a door into me the next day. )

BTW the auto armor warranty I got at the dealership when I bought the car also covers interior. The documents say protections from rips tears, vomit and blood on my leather. Uh... well almost had someone vomit on a track day. no blood yet...
Old 12-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Once i get a car with a brand new paint job, whether its a re-spray of my current car or a new car. I'm going to clear bra the entire car.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Here's what I'm always concerned about; that guy or gal that weighs 250-300 pounds will always throw open the door just to make exiting the vehicle easier for them. Here in New Mexico, obesity runs rampant, so I will park as far as I feel comfortable from other vehicles.
rogcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT