How to drive a manual GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
How to drive a manual GT

I am wanting to get a 2015 GT 5.0. I have never driven manual before and would like to have a manual in my first real mustang with a v 8. I have been practicing in an old jeep wrangler a 5 speed with a carburator. Is the new GT'S cluth and shifter easy to operate? I dont want to flood the engine from letting off the clutch too soon. Would it be good for a.beginner to operate?
racemamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Our '15 GT is actually my wife's first manual (besides her dirtbike) and she was able to learn very quickly. Its only my third manual transmission but I have found it more forgiving than any other car that I've driven in the past.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I learned how to drive manual in my 13 GT. It was pretty easy to learn and the more you drive the better you get
Fabio_5ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
How to drive a manual GT

You don't need to worry about flooding anything on a newer car like this. I'd venture to say a mustang hasn't been carb'd since 85.

As for the clutch operation, yes it's forgiving. Not sure I recommend someone who has never had a manual transmission get a 435hp car to learn with.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
You don't need to worry about flooding anything on a newer car like this. I'd venture to say a mustang hasn't been carb'd since 85.

As for the clutch operation, yes it's forgiving. Not sure I recommend someone who has never had a manual transmission get a 435hp car to learn with.

I'll be practicing on a 420hp car in a week or two.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

Lol jerk
Old 12-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If you can drive a jeep, no problem with the mustang! Have at it
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemamxx View Post
I dont want to flood the engine from letting off the clutch too soon. Would it be good for a.beginner to operate?
The Mustang is electronic fuel injection. You can't flood the engine. You will either stall the car or burn the clutch. You will probably stall it a few times, but other than that it shouldn't be too hard.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

I learned in a Corvette lol

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
Supporter

Region: Texas
I learned manual in a Tacoma (hated that thing)... I drove that thing for 3K miles and then traded it on my 2011 GT. I will admit I stalled the car twice so far but it was due to my left ankle cramping (ankle issues). I felt so guilty that I stalled it. It might take some getting used to going from a 85 Jeep to a current clutch.

If you wear out the clutch in your possible 15 GT do not even think about blaming the car.... I know someone who has a S197 Mustang with 315K on the clock, clutch is just now going out. Lots are highway miles but still....
Old 12-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I learned in a Corvette lol

Die knows how. He is just razzin me since he is going to help me get my car safely on the transport co trailer. He is going to be very careful with my car
Old 12-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Do you know what the mileage is sitting at currently? Lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

I'll unplug the cluster just to make sure it still reads the same
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:13 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

I do, and we all know it won't start without a cluster 😬
Old 12-14-2015, 03:49 AM   #15

Can you drive a manual with the same license at an auto over there? In the UK it's a different test for autos. Of which about 1% of the population does. Also learning to drive a manual in a mustang.... Brave! Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
naughts4187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
what will be different (besides POWER!!!) is the narrow gates on the shifter. if you think of 1/2 being in the same plane and 3/4 in another the gap between planes is tight. What I found in my 2012 (both before and after MGW shifter) is to let the shifter guide itself into 3/4 using spring tension and to compensate for spring tension when going from 3/4 into either 1/2 or 5/6.

enjoy the new ride.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Learning on a 2011+ Mustang is almost like cheating, since it has hill assist, and doesn't let the car roll back for a few seconds. Freaked me out when it first happened...
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byock View Post
Learning on a 2011+ Mustang is almost like cheating, since it has hill assist, and doesn't let the car roll back for a few seconds. Freaked me out when it first happened...

+1

I turned mine off because I didn't like it. Then I disconnected the battery to do some work on the car and found it was back on later. But I don't like no having full control. But I agree, Someone learning would prob benefit with that.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've been driving manuals for 10+ years now and I've always wondered how other manual drivers handle steep hills. For me, I just use the handbrake to keep the car from rolling back while I'm on the clutch and gas. I've heard some people just rev the piss out of it and burn the clutch, but what do you guys do?
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
I've been driving manuals for 10+ years now and I've always wondered how other manual drivers handle steep hills. For me, I just use the handbrake to keep the car from rolling back while I'm on the clutch and gas. I've heard some people just rev the piss out of it and burn the clutch, but what do you guys do?
Now-a-days, most cars (auto or manual) come with hill assist.....which sometimes works, others not. Anything under 15° I believe, it won't activate, anything above, it'll activate but you gotta be quick, after about 3 seconds, it'll disengage the brakes OR if you give too much throttle it'll also disengage. And if you haven't let out the clutch enough, you're rolling backwards.

Me, I won't trust it. It helps but I won't always rely on it. The hand brake method worked for me but my most common method is the heel-toe maneuver. Toe on the brake, heel applying throttle, and as I let out the clutch, I let off the brake with my toe. It took a lot of practice and even today I still won't say I've mastered it but that's how I do it.
StolenSinner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Regular

I learned when I purchased a 2011 gt500. Had to get the salesman to teach me so I could drive it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenSinner09 View Post
Now-a-days, most cars (auto or manual) come with hill assist.....which sometimes works, others not. Anything under 15° I believe, it won't activate, anything above, it'll activate but you gotta be quick, after about 3 seconds, it'll disengage the brakes OR if you give too much throttle it'll also disengage. And if you haven't let out the clutch enough, you're rolling backwards.

Me, I won't trust it. It helps but I won't always rely on it. The hand brake method worked for me but my most common method is the heel-toe maneuver. Toe on the brake, heel applying throttle, and as I let out the clutch, I let off the brake with my toe. It took a lot of practice and even today I still won't say I've mastered it but that's how I do it.
Or you can just do what a lot of people in hilly places like Colorado do. Foot on the brake, foot on clutch. Release clutch until you feel it start to bite, then fully release brake. The friction from the clutch will hold the car while you add a little throttle to quietly and easily pull away from the hill. It does cause the clutch to wear more quickly, but not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Regarding taking off from a stop up a hill with a manual. Back in the day when we had to get our license on a manual, as part of the standard driving test they expected you to use the emergency/parking brake until the clutch caught. But an experience driver could engage the clutch and apply moderate gas, very quickly and smoothly.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Regarding taking off from a stop up a hill with a manual. Back in the day when we had to get our license on a manual, as part of the standard driving test they expected you to use the emergency/parking brake until the clutch caught. But an experience driver could engage the clutch and apply moderate gas, very quickly and smoothly.
I'm not old enough to remember the test only on manual but the technique above is how I learned.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimguns View Post
I'm not old enough to remember the test only on manual but the technique above is how I learned.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
One of the reasons I remember it so well is the fact that I had to use a driving schools car to go for my test, although I hadn't taken any lessons from them. I don't know about more recent times but the tests had to include a 3-point turn on a side street. It just so happened my side street had a slight incline to it and the car's emergency brake wasn't holding. That in itself is usually reason for rejection, if the car doesn't meet all safety requirements, but the inspector was in a good mood apparently. So I did the 3-point turn on a small hill without the use of the emerg brake and did so with flying colors. In fact the inspector commented on how well I did. Little did he know I had been driving my friends cars for a couple of years before I went for my license.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Lol i learned on my 15 GT... i had to test drive a 15 GT automatic and once i made decision to buy it i brought my brother in law with me and he actually drove the car home.

Took about 15-20 minutes in mall parking lot to teach me/show me how to drive a manual and then told me to drive him back home with him in passanger seat lol.

I drove him home and he then drove the car back to my house. By the time i got home it was 11pm and i ended up driving for another 2-3 hours practicing at night. I would find hills and stop in the middle of the hill and try to move the car without stalling.Reason i did it at night right away was because there was barely any traffic as it was a week day (and yes i had to wake up at 6am for work next d ay ). My biggest fear was backing into someone on the hill at a red light. Yes i also had to be stuck in stop and go rush hour traffic in the morning few hours after i got the car lol...

I would say it was easy to learn took about 3-4 days to be perfect at it and another week or two to get to the point where i dont even have to think about shifting i just do it. Yes i stalled the car few times.

INTERESTING STORY
I remember on like 5th day i took a coworker to lunch in my new car and i kept stalling it because i was trying to have a conversation with him and shift at the same time (car turned off at 2 red lights lol). I was still at the point where i could shift without thinking much about it so as i was having a conversation with him at red lights and focusing on what i was going to say i would mess up when i would try and shift lol...it was such a new experience for me.

Now i can easily drive the car and talk and i am SOO glad i got a manual. I would say definitely get a MANUAL.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

While the clutch is grabby at first, the real difference is that you need to drive like a truck driver. In a typical automatic, you try to maintain a constant and confortable distance between yourself and the next car in heavy traffic. With a manual, you need to NOT do this but instead ty to keep it in gear as long as reasonable and shift as few times as you can. It'll be more like a slow rubber-band effect between you and the next car.

Otherwise you'll wear out your leg.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT