Catch can recommendation. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Catch can recommendation.

I am thinking about getting a catch can for our GT, and am wondering what most of you are using. I have tried the "search" function here several different ways, and am not coming up with the information that I need.
My research up to this point (and if anyone can confirm or contradict this -- feel free):

JLT.......prone to breaking some of the plastic connectors. Less well made -- less effective filtering? Hose clamp fittings to plastic connectors. Least expensive.

Bob's:........I have not been able to see a pic of their basic model that does not have the more expensive fittings and hoses. Is the basic one more like the JLT above? Bob's come more highly recommended here on some posts I've read as to their filtering ability, but not sure which model. $115 for the basic one seems like a good deal, but almost $200 for the better hoses and fittings seems pretty high.

UPR......even basic model at $150 looks to be extremely well made, with upgraded hoses and fittings that are plug and play at all four ends -- no hose clamps. Ability to take off the filter hoses/connectors with push button connectors to empty. I have not been able to find how these filter, but they talk a good game on their webpage.

Please advise your experience, if any with these products that we all may learn? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Bob's:........I have not been able to see a pic of their basic model that does not have the more expensive fittings and hoses. Is this one more like the JLT above? Bob's come more highly recommended here on some posts I've read as to their filtering ability, but not sure which model. $115 for the basic one seems like a good deal, but almost $200 for the better hoses and fittings seems pretty high.
I have a Bob's and all I say is, the saying "you get what you pay for" fits here, it is a nice piece
Old 12-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
I have a Bob's and all I say is, the saying "you get what you pay for" fits here, it is a nice piece
Thanks for the information..............
You have the deluxe one, I take it?
How much oil do you take out of it every 2,000 miles? And, is it easy to empty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yes I have the deluxe one, I just emptied it the other day, Id say about 5 table spoons as a rough estimate in less than 2k miles. its very easy to drain, there is a little spigot type lever on the bottom you open to drain
Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A lot say that Bob's and UPR make the best one. But I've got a JLT, and everyone else I know runs the JLT, and no issues with them. It's hard to compare the brands as it's not an exact science. It would be cool if someone set up specific parameters and tried to test them comparatively in a real world setting (not on a flow bench). And if this test exists somewhere, I've never seen it lol

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I have yet to hear of any issues with any of Bob's stuff. Really really top of the line everything they make.

Amazingly, there are a LOT of UPR products that are really good now. A lot of their stuff they are sourcing from USA shops and I think the catch can may be one of them. I know a lot of their suspension is and their exhaust is too.

I actually do need a catch can for my 2000 for the setup I am running and I will be going with a Bob's most likely.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

They sent me a picture of the Bob's basic one.....and the hoses and fasteners are a little................industrial looking. As in heater hose and hose clamps. It mounts to the side of the valve covers (between the engine and fender) as well, and looks as though it might be hard to empty without taking the hoses and clamps off every time.
I think for the $$'s I may have to give the UPR a try, as it has the upgraded, braided hoses and one click fasteners for a LOT less.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Catch can recommendation.

Does Bob have catch cans for 3Vs?
Sorry, I'm not trying to get off topic, but this the first time I've heard of them. And I was going with a JLT, but now Bob's if he makes them.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
They sent me a picture of the Bob's basic one.....and the hoses and fasteners are a little................industrial looking. As in heater hose and hose clamps. It mounts to the side of the valve covers (between the engine and fender) as well, and looks as though it might be hard to empty without taking the hoses and clamps off every time.
I think for the $$'s I may have to give the UPR a try, as it has the upgraded, braided hoses and one click fasteners for a LOT less.
The UPR one for $200 may actually be the one I go for, I did not know Bob's didn't make one for the SN95 body. The UPR one is really really good anyway, rave reviews from everyone and the one click hose removal and easy empty and the fact that its specifically fitted to the 96-04 cars has sold me.

Not sure about the 3V, I know UPR makes a universal kit that is pretty good, I don't see one from Bobs...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
A lot say that Bob's and UPR make the best one. But I've got a JLT, and everyone else I know runs the JLT, and no issues with them. It's hard to compare the brands as it's not an exact science. It would be cool if someone set up specific parameters and tried to test them comparatively in a real world setting (not on a flow bench). And if this test exists somewhere, I've never seen it lol
After looking closely at the install video for the JLT on LMR's website, I went with a black one from them. Seems to look OK, and has the right connectors (one click) for the two engine mounts........and the price is right.
LMR has free shipping too which is nice.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
After looking closely at the install video for the JLT on LMR's website, I went with a black one from them. Seems to look OK, and has the right connectors (one click) for the two engine mounts........and the price is right.
LMR has free shipping too which is nice.
UPR has a public 5% off code for their site which will save $10 on shipping for a $200 catch can. For more expensive stuff it very often = free shipping or better.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
UPR has a public 5% off code for their site which will save $10 on shipping for a $200 catch can. For more expensive stuff it very often = free shipping or better.
For those interested in the UPR can....I talked with a rep there the other day, and they are offering free shipping through Christmas Eve.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
For those interested in the UPR can....I talked with a rep there the other day, and they are offering free shipping through Christmas Eve.
Also use the discount code SHAZAM for 5% off. This is a public code so feel free to share.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT