Cost of installing seat covers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Cost of installing seat covers?

How much do you think labor would be to swap out cloth seats covers to leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
How much do you think labor would be to swap out cloth seats covers to leather?

Man it is something you can do yourself if you wanted too. Not bad at all to do, I switch my factory black leather to Katskinz Red just a little time consuming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iceman2733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its something you can DIY with a set of hog ring pliers and rings. I did an entire re-upholster for a 98 myself which is WAY harder than the newer cars.

To answer your question, it shouldn't take anyone competent in a shop more than 2-3 hours of labor to do it if you remove all the seats for them. If they have to pull all the seats out of the car that'll add another hour probably.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Yeah I figured I could do it myself. I might go that route and just do one seat at a time. Local places here are quoting me $500. I think I'm just gonna do it myself

Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've also been told to do away with the hog rings and the pliers and just use zip ties under the seats - can't see them and it makes things much easier.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I did mine in my 2014 by myself and got the hog rings and pliers off amazon for like 7 bucks. If you've never done it before I would just give yourself a solid day or day in case you run into any issues. But if you do decide to go to a shop I would think $500 is reasonable assuming that includes the 2 fronts and rears.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The biggest cost is going to be the leather. Swapping seat covers is fairly simple, but it's pretty poor leather. It's really manufactured synthetic stuff for the most part these days. Only a few high end cars actually have leather like you'd see on furniture or used to see on classic cars.

$500 for cheap, about $1500-2000 for the real stuff.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

The TMI leather is pretty good actually. So is the TMI vinyl believe it or not.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
$500. is the going price, as far as the leather. The leather is where you sit, some cars have alcantara (imitation leather). Roush seats some are alcantara,bright colors that look and feel like suede. It's what your budget and your taste is the alcantara is very durable,imagine real suede what it would look like after a couple of weeks. If you have a fairly new car and you opt to DIY, remember the air bags!!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I have black leather in mine but i am interested in putting customizing my interior to have black/blue leather (to match my exterior) in my car in a few years once my stock leather wears out.

Where would i get the leather to do it my self...is there blue/black one available?
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not sure if there are skins available but any upholstery shop should be able to make you whatever you want. Not sure what places like TMI have for the S197 seats yet...

Old 01-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
There are many places to get leather. Your local auto seat repair shop for ideas. DYI amazon,ebay, yellow pages dealer. That's just a few. If your really going to do this buy the leather now. it'll double in a few years faster than U think!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Why do you think it will double...?

Also if you are wondering what i am talking about... i was looking at the reviews for the new 2016 Camero SS (yes i was checking up on our competition) ..

and i saw this red camero with red/balck leather inside and i loved the way it looked. Not sure if blue would look as good

Here is the video skip to 17 minute mark

What do you guys think too tacky?
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Another option would be to keep an eye out on roushs eBay site where they sell parts off converted cars or their overstock. I got my stock leather take offs from there for a lot cheaper then other sites and occasionally they will sell the roush covers with different center inserts.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
I've also been told to do away with the hog rings and the pliers and just use zip ties under the seats - can't see them and it makes things much easier.
I second this: I've done away with the hog rings and used zip ties on the last 5 sets of seats I've recovered. The zip ties are much easier to use over hog rings.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I second this: I've done away with the hog rings and used zip ties on the last 5 sets of seats I've recovered. The zip ties are much easier to use over hog rings.

I do not recommend zip ties. They will break after a few years time. Just like any plastic that gets hot and cold and has stress put on it.

Do it right and spend the 14.99 on a pair of hog ring pliers and another 3.99 on some hog rings. It's not hard to do. In my opinion it's easier.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

I spent $28 back in 2012 for a set of pliers and a ****load of hog rings from CJP. For the 98GT seats I was doing, there is ZERO way in hell I would have trusted zip ties to hold with the new foam and how tight the upholstery was over them and also the way those installed I legit could not have used zip ties.

If there is an advantage to using zip ties over the hog rings besides ease on the newer skins... maybe... I'll defer there to ppl who have done the newer upholstery but for what I have personally done, there is no way I would use zip ties. I still have those pliers and a huge pile of rings which may come in handy if I do the TMI thing again for some custom Terminator style seats with the Steeda logo in place of the Cobra.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Yup ^ and I have done my seats on my 14. I wouldn't use zip ties. No way it's quicker, no way will they last as long as a hog ring.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I've never done this but agree with Oxford about zippies only lasting a few years. If you are only keeping it for a few that's fine but if you want it to last make the effort and do it right. Then figure out the labor cost over just buying stuff yourself. $200-300 savings would be worth it for me assuming it'll easily be done in a weekend.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

I did mine in a weekend... but it wasn't easy. Doing it all over again I'd only do the front seats and get a nice set of takeout OEM rears. I could do both front seats on a Saturday now that I've done one before.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Rear seats in the 10-14 are stupid easy. No hog rings required. All Velcro and plastic clips.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Would be nice if the 98 I had was that way... ****ing covers in those years are glued on. Need new foams for the front and I had to rebuild the foam in spots it tore off on the rears because the rear foam would be cost prohibitive for TMI to make/sell. I know the 99+ seats are not glued on up front, I forget if the rears are... I'd have to research that, or just not do those covers lol. Or just buy S197 seats which is probably the best option, they bolt right in.

Also, looking at the prices of nice zip ties I might actually trust to hold upholstery down, not sure why you would not just get a $20-$30 set of pliers. Good tool to have for any car you might have that got a seat cover torn up and for some situations you need the hog ring itself to pull the upholstery tight to where its clipping into and fighting a zip tie in some of the tight spaces where it actually might have worked on my 98... no way...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT