Front to rear tire height difference - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2016, 04:26 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
Yes thanks! Now I'm trying to figure out which of the 5 mpss to get. There are 5 265-35-19s and the only difference between them is tread width. One has tread width like a 275 at 10.1. Will tread width effect how the tire fits on the rim?
Tread width does not affect fitment on the wheel, just the car. Since you have room up front, choose the one with wider tread to balance out the understeer you're going to get with a massive rear tire. Some vehicle manufacturers will get special made tires for unique fitment or handling characteristics, such as what your dealing with.
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #37
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Tread width does not affect fitment on the wheel, just the car. Since you have room up front, choose the one with wider tread to balance out the understeer you're going to get with a massive rear tire. Some vehicle manufacturers will get special made tires for unique fitment or handling characteristics, such as what your dealing with.

Ok that makes sense. This tire is made for a Carrera gt which has a massive stagger front to back. I'll go with that one and see how it responds. I can also fix understeer with a stiffer front sway bar right?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #38
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
I meant a stiffer rear seat not front.

Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
[QUOTE=Twisted13;2326808]

Thanks very much for you time and effort. Very much appreciated. I am familiar with the traction control and the ESC systems and generally how they work. But you did answer my question with, "The factory program does take into account the difference of tire sizes and allows for some wiggle room". That's why I was thinking it could be just as acceptable to match the size of the OE front wheels.
Thanks again!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
Ok that makes sense. This tire is made for a Carrera gt which has a massive stagger front to back. I'll go with that one and see how it responds. I can also fix understeer with a stiffer front sway bar right?

From the factory most cars now a days will under steer. This is a safety feature and they think is average drivers can't correct for oversteer so they would rather make the car more positive. You want to stiffen the REAR anti-roll bar to help add oversteer. If you stiffen the FRONT roll bar it will under steer more. You can also run a negative camber alignment and it will help drastically. However, the more negative the faster you will wear tires. Using my GTR as an example again, it has three alignment settings. Track, sport, and street; the main adjustments they're making to make the car handle better is more negative camber but it eats up tires like a mofo! Mustangs are a bit different and while it will chew up your tires if you don't go too crazy with it your car will handle better and still have a decent tire life. I recommend driving the car first to see if you can live with it after your new staggered set up. If you don't like it, purchase a strut mount camber/caster adjustment kit and take it to a shop to set the camber negative. Keep in mind when you do this, camber affects mid corner performance if your having an issue with the turn in and want a more aggressive start of the corner or the car doesn't want to go into the corner easily you want to add POSITIVE TOE. this frees up the front tires to turn more readily. The more toed out they are the more straight/stable the car drives going forward.

Re-cap in short for anyone who doesn't wana read all of the above. I would do adjustments in this order to see how the car performs
1.Align car to negative camber positive toe
2. Stiffen rear sway bar
3. Run a squared set up with above alignment specs and a stiff rear sway bar for road course racing!

Hope this helps
-CD
Twisted13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT