Front to rear tire height difference - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Front to rear tire height difference

Hey guys,

In stock form my car had 275-40-19 rears and 255-40-19 in the front. The tire height difference front to back is .7 with that combo.

Well I got new rims (19x9 and 19x11) and rear tires (305-35-19) and I'm about to replace the front tires but I'm trying to find the best size option. I want to go with a 265-35-19 but it's .7 shorter than the stock tire and 1.1 shorter than the rear. Do you think that will be an issue? That would make the front 26.3 and the rear 27.4. I would go with a 275-35-19 but I feel like that's just a hair to wide for a 19x9 rim. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Also...I have coil overs so I'm not too concerned with fender gap as that can be adjusted.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
We would be guessing here as to whether that much difference in circumference and height will trigger the stability programs on your car. The on board computers might very well think your car is unstable...........or not.
What % is the difference between the front and rear tires? If you figure that out, you might be able to get in touch with someone at Ford who can tell you if that % will trigger the stability programs.......
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Regular

Well in stock form there was a .7 difference between the front and rear so I doubt 1.1 would be an issue with tc ect... I ran a set up on a 14 with a 1.1 difference and it was fine. 295-35-20 and 255-35-20 is a 1.1 difference in height. However...I was tuned and my speedo was adjusted. I'm not sure if that helps correct the issue or not.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Regular

The 265 would be a 4.1% difference front to back and the 275 would be a 2.5% difference front to back.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I think that some of the stability programs will/might "monitor" that much difference and intermittently intervene.......don't know, and no one might until you see what happens.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
The 265 would be a 4.1% difference front to back and the 275 would be a 2.5% difference front to back.

I would have assumed the stock difference between front and rear tires was already programmed in the ECU as a "zero difference" in speed.
If that was the case, the .7" smaller front is 2.6% smaller than the stock front, which is within the generally recommended max. deviation of +/-3%.
Is a 265/40 a viable option? That would be a closer diameter match.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

I don't want a 40 profile. When they say within 3% are the referring to a 3% difference in tire revolutions or a 3% difference in the actually tire height.

I was calculating the percentage as the difference I height between the rear and front. It seems like your calculating the difference in height by the individual tire. This is where I get confused, anyone care to explain?

Old 01-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Regular

I don't want a 40 profile. When they say within 3% are the referring to a 3% difference in tire revolutions or a 3% difference in the actually tire height.

I was calculating the percentage as the difference I height between the rear and front. It seems like your calculating the difference in height by the individual tire. This is where I get confused, anyone care to explain?

Old 01-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Regardless if you want a 40-series front tire or not, you going to experience massive understeer with that wide of a rear tire and wheel compared to the 19x9 you chose for the front.

When you have a taller tire in the rear compared to the front, you gain the ability to run a slightly wider rear tire without inducing understeer.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Regular

Well my rear is taller than the front. Can you clarify what your trying to say? So what tire would you recommend with my set up?

Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why not the 40 profile. It would more closely match that of the rear 305/35 profile.

The calculated difference of % would be the same whether based off the dia or the circumference. However, that 3% I quoted is only from some of the tire sizing calculation sites, not he manufacturer(that I know of). So it may still be a good idea to check with Ford(good luck with that!).

Like I said earlier, I would assume that the Ford engineers would have zeroed out the differences in diameters, between front and back, in a factory engineered and supplied setup. If this assumption is true, then there would be no reason to add that difference again.
If it was me, I would want verification from Ford on the subject of limitations of upsizing/downsizing tire diameters. And not one dealer guy's opinion.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

BTW--have you already verified that the 305/35-19x11 will fit all right with whatever offset your rim will be?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
BTW--have you already verified that the 305/35-19x11 will fit all right with whatever offset your rim will be?

Yeah it's on my car now. No rubbing at all.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:

Yeah it's on my car now. No rubbing at all.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well my rear is taller than the front. Can you clarify what your trying to say? So what tire would you recommend with my set up?

You need something wider and shorter than the 255/40ZR19's, which is 27" tall, in order to maintain some balance in the car, but unfortunately your working with a 9" wide wheel which is going to limit what balance you'll be able to bring. All that said, I would recommend trying a 275/35ZR19 up front.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Newsflash, there are tires with a 40 sidewall that is shorter than another tire with a 35 sidewall. That number is a percentage of the tire's overall width. Get the tire that fits the best, period.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:25 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Newsflash, there are tires with a 40 sidewall that is shorter than another tire with a 35 sidewall. That number is a percentage of the tire's overall width. Get the tire that fits the best, period.

What do you think fits the best on a 19x9 rim?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

For a staggered front set? Depends on the brand and how much bulge you want past the rim lip. Between 255 and 275 wide and whatever sidewall profile gets you close to the rear tire diameter. That's a good general starting point.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
For a staggered front set? Depends on the brand and how much bulge you want past the rim lip. Between 255 and 275 wide and whatever sidewall profile gets you close to the rear tire diameter. That's a good general starting point.
Can't disagree with this approach. The question I have (for Ford) is why did they build the car with a back to front tire size difference of 2.3%?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
@ DH staggered performance pack rim set up
Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I work for ford (service manager) in Houston. On my 2015 I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are by far the best tire I've ever run. Trust me they're well worth the money. I've used Nittos, toyos, dunlops, bridge stones. I run a 305/35/19 in the back and in the front a 265/40/19
Here's are the specs and no it will not mess with any of your PCM, TCM, or ABS modules. The trac control will not be affected although you might experience some under steer. However, straight line performance especially with the MPSS is outstanding.
Front tire:
Diameter: 27.3
Width: 10.43
Sidewall height: 4.17
Circumference: 85.9
Revs per mile: 737.9
REAR TIRES
Diameter: 27.4
Width: 12.01
Sidewall: 4.2
Circumference: 86.1
Revs per mile 736.3
The difference in speed at 60 mph is
.2 of a mile nearly nothing

Hope this helps. Also if your running let's say a 245/40/19 and a 285/35/19( which is perfect for a 10 inch wheel) you still would be perfectly set up. Keeping the difference that close will not cause issues.
Twisted13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I had to do all the research on it because on my GTR anything more than like .5% difference raises trans oil temps which can be devastating. Luckily the mustang is much more forgiving. Chances are even if your running a large difference you won't have anything to worry about. I had a customer come in with a 19 inch wheel in the front and a 20 out back same as what the Shelby's from the factory do. You'll be fine.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
We would be guessing here as to whether that much difference in circumference and height will trigger the stability programs on your car. The on board computers might very well think your car is unstable...........or not.
What % is the difference between the front and rear tires? If you figure that out, you might be able to get in touch with someone at Ford who can tell you if that % will trigger the stability programs.......
My drag setup is 28.5 rear and 24 front and I've never had a problem with the system wigging out. Of course mine is a 2006-maybe the new ones are more sensitive?

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just remember, the Michelins in 285 might be narrower than a 275 BFG or fatter than a 295 Nitto. The brands vary because they just do. I had a 275 BFG that was right in line with a Nitto 315 if you can believe it, they vary that much. Tirerack does have the actual stats and specs for most of the stuff they sell tho which is a really good tool to use.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
See Scotty DoesKnow, good advice.
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted13 View Post
I work for ford (service manager) in Houston. On my 2015 I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are by far the best tire I've ever run. Trust me they're well worth the money. I've used Nittos, toyos, dunlops, bridge stones. I run a 305/35/19 in the back and in the front a 265/40/19
Here's are the specs and no it will not mess with any of your PCM, TCM, or ABS modules. The trac control will not be affected although you might experience some under steer. However, straight line performance especially with the MPSS is outstanding.
Front tire:
REAR TIRES
Revs per mile 736.3

Hope this helps. Also if your running let's say a 245/40/19 and a 285/35/19( which is perfect for a 10 inch wheel) you still would be perfectly set up. Keeping the difference that close will not cause issues.
Excellent information!
I know your lunch break is over but what is your take on the factory's different tire diameters(front to back) with regard to effect on the AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control? Do you think the computer is seeing different wheel speeds from the wheel sensors or do you think it's been programmed in to compensate for the different tire diameters? Thanks, now back to work! JK
Old 01-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Front tire:
REAR TIRES
Revs per mile 736.3

Should I try to stick with the factory variance front to rear? Which is a .7 difference front to back? I have 305-35-19 in the rear but I want to use a 275-35 or 265-35 up front. The 275 will keep the distance between the two pretty close to stock. .8 to be exact. But I would rather use a 265-35-19 because it'll fit better on the 19x9 rim. The other confusing part is Michelin offers 3 different 275-35-19 with three different contact patch measurements. One is 10 and the other two are 9.3. So....do you think the one with the larger contact patch will run bigger vice versa? This is crazy how much I'm over thinking this lol...

Old 01-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Don't over think it bro. Use the 265/35/19 up front with the 305/35/19 in the rear l. Your car will not have any issues with any system expect for a bit of under steer but honestly unless your tracking it you don't have to worry about it. That size difference is perfect and will hook up nicely. I wouldn't go bigger than that on a 9 inch wheel because even if you did run the 275 to keep it close, it will fold over the rim and your contact area will not be what it's designed to be a 275 is intended for a 10 inch wide wheel. While it will fit it's not going to perform as intended. Secondly, I would highly recommend the Michelin pilot super sports XL one because the sidewalls are kinda small so the extra load rating will help make up the difference. And any added weight ie groceries or what not can be supported without fear. The contact patch is the area of the tire on pavement don't worry about it changing dimensions of the tire run the above set up and you'll be happy and fine. Feel free to ask if you have a specific brand/type of tire in mind and I can give you some extra info on it.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Excellent information!

I know your lunch break is over but what is your take on the factory's different tire diameters(front to back) with regard to effect on the AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control? Do you think the computer is seeing different wheel speeds from the wheel sensors or do you think it's been programmed in to compensate for the different tire diameters? Thanks, now back to work! JK

The advance trac is made up of two parts, traction control and ESC aka electronic stability control. Traction control keeps your wheels from spinning too much and losing their grip on the road and ESC keeps your from sliding sideways in the event of an emergency maneuver. The system uses a bunch of different sensors some of which include steering wheel angel, acceleration etc. ESC senses when the car is going to lose control and applies braking to the appropriate wheels. Part of this is how fast the wheels are spinning apart from each other. so obviously you want to keep them similar to prevent any unwanted or random braking from the system by sending it false information. This does happen and albeit random on my last mustang I ran a very different setup which was a bit extreme and when I turned hard sometimes it would apply the brakes. You can prevent this with a tune usually by changing the page to read a different tire size but still may happen as most tuners try to stay away from that system for liability purposes. The factory program does take into account the difference of tire sizes and allows for some wiggle room because of not anytime your turned out of your driveway you would activate the system lol. How much I'm not sure and what the parameters are I'm even less aware of but hopefully this provides some insight. Again I'm a service department manager not a tech or an engineer so I don't know exact figures or crazy in depth stuff like what angles cause they system to engage.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Front tire:
REAR TIRES
Revs per mile 736.3

Should I try to stick with the factory variance front to rear? Which is a .7 difference front to back? I have 305-35-19 in the rear but I want to use a 275-35 or 265-35 up front. The 275 will keep the distance between the two pretty close to stock. .8 to be exact. But I would rather use a 265-35-19 because it'll fit better on the 19x9 rim. The other confusing part is Michelin offers 3 different 275-35-19 with three different contact patch measurements. One is 10 and the other two are 9.3. So....do you think the one with the larger contact patch will run bigger vice versa? This is crazy how much I'm over thinking this lol...

Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #32
Road Trip!
Regular

Ignore the double posts. Not sure why phone does that.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ignore the double posts. Not sure why phone does that.

Lol did the info get ya where you needed to be?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #34
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Lol did the info get ya where you needed to be?

Yes thanks! Now I'm trying to figure out which of the 5 mpss to get. There are 5 265-35-19s and the only difference between them is tread width. One has tread width like a 275 at 10.1. Will tread width effect how the tire fits on the rim?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Each manufacturer has different specs for example Nittos run small usually. Exact figures should be easy to find on michelins website but as long as your going with the set up I told you about you'll be golden. Id go for the largest contact patch available for that size for the most traction. Send me a link to what your looking at

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT