Stupid questions!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Stupid questions!!

For the first time I am storing my Mustang on jack stands. I installed the Steeda jack rails, the oil/filter are new as is the full tank of gas. My question, should I run the engine during a few months it's stored? The gas has an additive so that shouldn't be an issue. The battery, leave it alone or trickle charge?

I've Googled this and the answers are all over the place. Thanks in advance?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I put a battery tender on it, cover it and she starts no problem come spring time.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Hello Scurfie,

Ahh ... the informative internet, lol.

I would recommend running the engine at least once a month and a batter tender would be a good idea.

You can also check the owners manual for a complete overview of what Ford recommends.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Hello Scurfie,

Ahh ... the informative internet, lol.

I would recommend running the engine at least once a month and a batter tender would be a good idea.

You can also check the owners manual for a complete overview of what Ford recommends.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thank you TJ! The owners manual. I never thought to look there. Oh well.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get it off jackstands, suspension is not supposed to hang like that for long periods. I thought like you did too for a long time. Put some plywood down to keep the rubber off of concrete, put a tender on it, full tank of gas with Stabil and cover it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get it off jackstands, suspension is not supposed to hang like that for long periods. I thought like you did too for a long time. Put some plywood down to keep the rubber off of concrete, put a tender on it, full tank of gas with Stabil and cover it.
That is interesting because I 've read over and over where mechanics have left cars on stands for months with no issues.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Here's the thing with starting it every couple of months. The battery gets weak and you start taxing the cells. If you get a cheap deltran float charger, it will turn off and not over charge the battery. When the battery goes down to about 95% it will turn on and charge to 100%. I'm not a car mechanic, I'm an electrician and is the same principle in our ups back up systems.

Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

We put plastic down and then some cardboard and pieces of carpet and backed it in and covered it. We roll it every two weeks - forwards and backwards. Put the battery tender on once a month and let it run 24 hours (I uncover the hood and then just leave it up enough for the cord to get thru. When done charging - I unhook - leave the hood just so it isn't locked and cover it back up. I expect when spring comes I'll have no problems. Also put 00000 steel wool in the quad exhaust pipes and open baggies with dryer sheets in them in the trunk under each front seat on in the engine bay - keep them critters out.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Starting your car once a month while in storage is the worst thing you can do. You'll introduce moisture into the crankcase that will never burn off. Just put a battery tender on it and leave it. And get it off jackstands.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

I don't get the rolling it back and forth and steel wool either, that is complete overkill. And yeah if you are going to start it you better get it out for a drive long enough to get it up to temp and burn off all the contaminants. If not, leave it.

-Battery tender
-Car cover
-Full tank with Stabil
-Parked on plywood
-Fresh oil change immediately before storing

Not rocket science.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736 View Post
Here's the thing with starting it every couple of months. The battery gets weak and you start taxing the cells. If you get a cheap deltran float charger, it will turn off and not over charge the battery. When the battery goes down to about 95% it will turn on and charge to 100%. I'm not a car mechanic, I'm an electrician and is the same principle in our ups back up systems.

This might be a good time to mention the difference between a trickle charger and a battery tender or float charger.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
This might be a good time to mention the difference between a trickle charger and a battery tender or float charger.
If you do put a battery tender of any kind on your car, make sure it is the kind that will shut itself off when the battery is at full charge.
If you can find one, there are tenders that have lights that show a proper attachment to the battery, a light to show charging, and then a different light to show the battery is being maintained at full charge.

Mine shows red for correct attachment, yellow for charging, and then a nice steady green for a full charge (but not charging any longer.) It's nice to walk by once in a while and just check to see the green light is still on.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

From 2015 Mustang owner's manual:
Engine
• The engine oil and filter should be
changed prior to storage because used
engine oil contains contaminates that
may cause engine damage.
• Start the engine every 15 days for a
minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle
with the climate controls set to defrost
until the engine reaches normal
operating temperature.
• With your foot on the brake, shift
through all the gears while the engine
is running.
• We recommend that you change the
engine oil before you use your vehicle
again.

Edmunds recommends jack stands, with wheels off: How To Prep Your Car for Long-Term Storage | Edmunds.com

I just thought I would keep this thread going!
Old 01-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't get the rolling it back and forth and steel wool either, that is complete overkill. And yeah if you are going to start it you better get it out for a drive long enough to get it up to temp and burn off all the contaminants. If not, leave it.

-Battery tender
-Car cover
-Full tank with Stabil
-Parked on plywood
-Fresh oil change immediately before storing

Not rocket science.
We did the oil change - Stay-bil with full tank as well. The rolling is to keep the tires from sitting in one spot and having them have the flat spots when you bring it out in the spring. We store wood and birdseed in our garage so it is possible mice can find their way in and I don't want them climbing into the engine or where ever they can get to through the exhaust pipes. Just being cautious.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
Old 01-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've stored cars for a longer time than a winter and never rolled them and never got flat spots. But critters in the garage... yeah... screw that. They can find their way up into the HVAC tho, not much you can do about that except to have a bunch of traps in the garage and even then.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hoping those dryer sheets will send them running. LOL. Should put maybe some mothballs on the floor. As for the tires - some people say they've had problems and some say they haven't so....we took the cautious road again. I have those original Pirelli tires with 25,000 miles on them. (put 4000 on this last summer) so from reading what people think about them....maybe if I had better tires I wouldn't worry. But I figure it can't hurt and it does get darn cold here in WI and the garage isn't heated so protection from the concrete that does bleeds moisture - the plastic etc keeps them dry too. I am like a mother hen when it comes to this vehicle. I have always wanted a sports car so now that I have it.....next step is to keep it in great shape until we can move south where I don't have to store it for the Winter - hoping to do that in about 4 years - looking at around Knoxville Tennessee - when you get snow or ice - it melts quickly. LOL.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
Hoping those dryer sheets will send them running. LOL. Should put maybe some mothballs on the floor. As for the tires - some people say they've had problems and some say they haven't so....we took the cautious road again. I have those original Pirelli tires with 25,000 miles on them. (put 4000 on this last summer) so from reading what people think about them....maybe if I had better tires I wouldn't worry. But I figure it can't hurt and it does get darn cold here in WI and the garage isn't heated so protection from the concrete that does bleeds moisture - the plastic etc keeps them dry too. I am like a mother hen when it comes to this vehicle. I have always wanted a sports car so now that I have it.....next step is to keep it in great shape until we can move south where I don't have to store it for the Winter - hoping to do that in about 4 years - looking at around Knoxville Tennessee - when you get snow or ice - it melts quickly. LOL.
If you get mothballs near anything you own ever say goodbye to any and all resale value ever. Ever... in the history of ever.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Can mice jump up and into the engine bay with my car on jack stands?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 on stands.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	195956  
Old 01-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #19

Region: Texas
Quote:
I've stored cars for a longer time than a winter and never rolled them and never got flat spots. But critters in the garage... yeah... screw that. They can find their way up into the HVAC tho, not much you can do about that except to have a bunch of traps in the garage and even then.
That because steel belts do not develop flats spots, bias ply tires do and they will even out with heat. Unless you have trailer tires on your stangs don't worry about flat spots. Bridgestone started spiral winding tires in the 90's and the others are probably doing the same now, either way, wrapped or wound, you were ok with steel belts.
falconetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT