Popping sound? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Popping sound?

Alright so I'm not sure what is going on; I have a 2016 GT PP Manual purchased new not long ago, it has 1191 miles on it. I have noticed that when i first turn it on and turn to get out of my driveway or a parking spot it makes these strange popping sounds as I move that I think are coming from the front end somewhere, I can even feel the pops as they happen. It seems like it only happens when the wheels are turned. The popping seems to completely stop like there's nothing wrong after the cars been on for awhile. Could it be because the car isn't warmed up and the cold? (It's like 13 degrees out right now) what on earth could this be? I don't think this should be happening in a brand new vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
AustinGifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have experienced the same thing when I turn out of a parking space first thing in the morning but only when the wheel is turned as far as it will go. No clue what is going on. I drive a 2015 Manual non PP btw.

Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Same thing with my '15 GT PP, I alway thought it was the shocks breaking free after sitting still overnight, but I've read that it is the sh***y stock summer tires skipping on a sharp turn from being too cold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That would make a lot of sense. Glad to hear that's all it is.

Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstu188 View Post
Same thing with my '15 GT PP, I alway thought it was the shocks breaking free after sitting still overnight, but I've read that it is the sh***y stock summer tires skipping on a sharp turn from being too cold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Maybe the summer tires are trying to tell you something.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I've been experiencing this as well. It'd be interesting to hear from someone running a different rim and tire set up and see if the sound is still there.

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

These are all PPs, sounds like the Torsen diff popping? It's normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmatticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Summer tires are only good to 45 degrees F and up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:28 AM   #9

Region: Texas
torsen rear end, its normal
falconetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

Region: Ohio
I'm glad to hear that it is normal. It's really annoying though. I feel like I'm running something over every morning or something lol. Anybody know if it's only when it's cold or year around? I've only had mine for less than a month.

AustinGifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I forget where the graph is, but summer tires start to fall off at 40-45F and by the time it gets to 20F, they are about as hard as dump truck tires for the first mile or so. Be very careful the first few minutes or better yet, save your paint and bodywork and get some take-off all seasons or winter tires for winter use.

RWD, Summer tires, and snow is just asking for a repair bill to happen.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Only when its cold. Usually when the temps are at or around 40 and above, normally do not hear anything. When in the 30 or lower range, you will get it when starting off with wheels cut left or right. Not just noise but you should feel a skipping or shuttering movement from the rear.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
retiredf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
PS . . . More importantly is the loss of traction when accelerating and especially stopping. Add a little water to the mix and its all over when trying to stop.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
retiredf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If it's the Torsen I have it all the time. I notice it when I drive through my parking garage in the mornings around the curves going slowly. It's a little annying but I got used to it after i figure out what it was. Someone posted videos from YouTube on how helical limited slip differentials work. Something about the worm gears and when they rotate at different speeds it'll pop out to unlock the differential I believe.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Found a good explanation online, I think. I guess it is the locking you hear the popping. The worm wheel seizes on the faster spinning wheel to allow power transfer to the slower spinning wheel.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatticus View Post
Found a good explanation online, I think. I guess it is the locking you hear the popping. The worm wheel seizes on the faster spinning wheel to allow power transfer to the slower spinning wheel.

Interesting video, however, it doesn't address how the traction control system, which to the best of my knowledge, applies the brake to the free spinning wheel, supposedly causing the opposite wheel to turn.
Something's wrong here.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
[QUOTE=AustinGifford;2329290]I'm glad to hear that it is normal. It's really annoying though. I feel like I'm running something over every morning or something lol. Anybody know if it's only when it's cold or year around? I've only had mine for less than a month.

I am running the stock Pirellis with the Pony Package (18') wheels. For the summer I run 18-9/10 Chrome Bullitts with Mickey Thompson Summer Tires.

There are several people who either didn't have a salesman that told you about trying to drive on summer tires in the winter or no on read their manual.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Interesting video, however, it doesn't address how the traction control system, which to the best of my knowledge, applies the brake to the free spinning wheel, supposedly causing the opposite wheel to turn.

Something's wrong here.

Good question, not really sure but I think the brake application is actually part of stability control mostly which will apply brake to try to prevent losing control. I imagine traction control applies brake as well but I think that's mainly to prevent spinning rather than transfer power, however it may have that effect as well. Also, only the PP has a Torsen differential I believe the others have a clutch pack LSD which would probably benefit more from the braking in this aspect as I believe there is a delay in the differential locking in that setup versus a Torsen. Again, just speculating here.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #19

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconetti View Post
torsen rear end, its normal
how come it's normal ? I have the same issue with my 2015 ecoboost .. i have stock 20" wheels.. my car is in dealership now sitting for a week , they are trying to duplicate the sound
ecobeast2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 AM   #20

so do you say its normal ??

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Something's wrong here.
so do you say it's normal ??
Old 03-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #21

Should i call my dealership back and get my car from them? It has been 5 days we are apart .. they are saying they cant duplicate the sound.. so if it's normal I will call and get my car back.. please advise!!

Old 03-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Sometimes brakes pop when the rotors have rust on them & the calipers "lock" up a little.

But that's just a single pop, when you first start to move.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #23

Region: Maryland
I also have the same noise in my '16 GT PP. My buddy told me it's not normal with a limited slip. I'm glad to hear it's normal for the Torsen because there is no slip. I thought it was the Summer tires but it makes sense it's the differential. Thanks for the info.

BLK16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT