Manual transmission in a 16 Gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Manual transmission in a 16 Gt

I am about to get a new GT. I am wanting a manual but I never have driven a.manual as im practicing now on my 94 jeep wrangler. Now my question is instead of slowly letting off the clutch while giving it gas, could I slowly let off the clutch all the way so that im coasting then give it gas like a regular car, or do I have to do the slowly ease off the clutch while hitting the throttle. Do these cars bog down easy and flood out?
racemamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
You can but you would have to do it very slow. The more horsepower you have the more you can do this. On my gt500 I could let off the clutch without gas and it would go about 5mph. In a 5.0 it's not that extreme. But honestly I've never tried it on my 5.0 you might be very close to stalling.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yea because your making gobs of power at idle on a GT500....
OP. Yes it can be done. Not so much on a grade tho.

BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Of course that GT500 can And you could....but like theyve said before its a tough balancing act when youre not used to the car. I am able to on mostly flat surfaces on my 5.0. Its just not always going to be a reasonable way to get going though.

Former:Black 2003 Mustang GT
Blkstang47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Fuel injected cars don't flood. The more practice you get the more of a smooth single motion it will be.

Or you can get the auto with the paddle shifters which is the best of both worlds.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
You work the clutch and gas pedal simultaneously, as clutch engages give it the gas. Thats how you drive a standard.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you want a manual, get a manual. It's going to be a different engaging point and rate than that Jeep and probably a lot less throw on the shifter anyway so you'll have to learn all over. As Scottydsntknow and MarkH said, practice with gas and clutch and you'll get it.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by racemamxx View Post
Now my question is instead of slowly letting off the clutch while giving it gas, could I slowly let off the clutch all the way so that im coasting then give it gas like a regular car, or do I have to do the slowly ease off the clutch while hitting the throttle.
This is NOT a recommended driving technique for any manual tranmission vehicle.
A manual trans can feel intimidating at first, and every car is different as to the place and rate the clutch pedal begins to engage the clutch. Learning to drive in one vehicle may have very little to do with how another one feels like.
Alll that said, however, you will learn to drive any manual very quickly and within a couple of hundred miles, you will be able to drive one like a pro.
The GT's horsepower and torque will really help from a stop. Do you live where there are a lot of steep hills with either a red light or stop sign right at the top? -- now, THAT is tricky even for a pro.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

The new cars have hill assist tho. It won't roll back for a second if it senses you are on a hill which is super nice IMO.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If you really want to, you can release the clutch slowly all the way out then give it gas, but it is slow and a bit awkward.
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
It's just a matter of finding the clutch's "sweet" spot, which is usually different on every make of car based on transmission, actual clutch, power level etc.

I can get my Mach 1 moving in one fluid motion with clutch into gas without any bucking. Sure as hell couldn't do that for the first month I had it, but now that I am used to it it's gravy.

And yes, a car with ample torque doesn't hurt either lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Don't be afraid of a little more power. Aim for 2k rpm while you are learning. You won't stall, it will be smooth. Don't fret a touch of wheel spin. That's what Mustangs do.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

I still think he should get the auto. No MT82 issues and faster down the 1/4. But I'm the resident auto nutswinger on this forum.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I still think he should get the auto. No MT82 issues and faster down the 1/4. But I'm the resident auto nutswinger on this forum.
Your reasoning is definitely sound. I've always driven manuals but thinking my next car might...maybe...be an auto.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Having driven manual for years and love them, I'd be hard pressed to buy another mt82 equipped mustang.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Having driven manual for years and love them, I'd be hard pressed to buy another mt82 equipped mustang.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This is really hard to say, but I'm pretty darn close to agreeing. It isn't all bad, but the Auto is just that good. Why didn't they put the good tranny in GT's??

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Your reasoning is definitely sound. I've always driven manuals but thinking my next car might...maybe...be an auto.
I do think that driving the newest GT's auto would change almost anyone's mind. It's like having two completely different cars. Put the trans in "D" and it shifts OK, but does default as quickly as possible to the higher gears for pretty decent mpg.
Put the trans in the "Sport" setting and the entire car just comes ALIVE! Ford absolutely nailed the "S" setting for curvy back roads, and the paddles for all intents and purposes become extraneous. It is still hard for me to believe how well the car downshifts for corners, holds the right gears for the apex, and then shoots itself out of the corner at the right rpm.....all by itself.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah Gaurd, everything I've read about them just debunks all the old school reasons to own a manual.
And I haven't had any real issues with my mt82. Oem shifter mount is a joke, Mgw (and others) fixed that, remote mounted shifter doesn't help but blowfish remedied that but the tranny itself no issues outside of a nibble here and there.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Regular

The fun part about the new autos is mashing the gas and not knowing exactly when it'll downshift because of the throttle lag. You never know when to brace yourself so your head always gets pinned to the back of the seat. I only get that feeling now when I'm a passenger in someone else's fast car.

The new auto with an aggressive tune that adjusts shift points is where it's at. If I don't get a gt350, I'll be getting an auto again eventually.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #20

Region: Missouri
I just got a '16 GT manual and had never driven a stick before in my life. Took me about 20 minutes and I had it down. Bogged the car down twice and killed it once parking it. Since then I think I've gotten decent... No race car driver but good enough for driving in the street. It easy and so much more fun than the auto. Highly recommend it! I have a 20 mile drive each way to work and it's mostly traffic going/coming and I've been able to do fine. Getting a Mustang in an automatic is blasphemy in my opinion!
GreenMachine650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
To me, there are three big reasons to drive a manual.

- Predicting ahead. Now, you can do this with the paddle shifters, but there's no way that an automatic can deal with mountain roads as well as your brain can, OR deal with revving up/dropping gears while staying at a contant speed to get into a gap you KNOW is coming. ( freeway interchanges are SO much easier in a manual )

- Cost. Less out of pocket, and a clutch is dirt cheap. I shudder to see what the repair bill will be when that fancy automatic with the sport mode, paddle shifters, and so on needs to be fixed. 2-3K seems to be the range for previous 11-14 transmission repairs.

- Reliability. There are quite a few people reporting that the new 15-16 automatics are, well, like most Ford automatics. Quality control seems to be a bit off. Now, the manual does also have its issues as well ( let's face it, Ford's outsourced transmissions are not a good idea ), but what's less money to fix? If you know both are going to be a bit iffy down the road, I go with the less expensive option. $1500 more up front and $1500 more down the road to fix (plus tax) . I could fix my manual twice and put a shifter bracket on it to fix the shifting problems and still come out with cash in my wallet.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
- Reliability. There are quite a few people reporting that the new 15-16 automatics are, well, like most Ford automatics. Quality control seems to be a bit off. Now, the manual does also have its issues as well ( let's face it, Ford's outsourced transmissions are not a good idea ), but what's less money to fix? If you know both are going to be a bit iffy down the road, I go with the less expensive option. $1500 more up front and $1500 more down the road to fix (plus tax) . I could fix my manual twice and put a shifter bracket on it to fix the shifting problems and still come out with cash in my wallet.
You haven't a clue on what you're talking about. There are no quality issues with the autos. Haven't been for years while the manuals have a laundry list of issues. Have for years.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Nothing like a manual. I wouldn't have a Mustang without a manual unless my knee gave out and I couldn't work the clutch anymore. Stang with no clutch

It's easy to learn and each car will be different but once you've learned, you never forget. Just too dang much fun not to have a manual!
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I drove manuals but bought my GT with auto. Why? Because I want to travel and these days I can't go anywhere without running into traffic. The worse thing ever is the dreaded leg cramp from clutching for 45 min. in stop and go traffic.

As others have pointed out today's automatics are way more sophisticated, and with paddle shifters way more fun.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Driving a sporty car with an auto is like having sex but not actually having sex. It's like whipping it out but not actually bringing it home. There's satisfaction of thrusting it into gear when you want and how you want it.

It's being able to bring it to the limiter and then bang it into the next gear. Its about up shifting and letting the engine choke off the speed. It's about being able to double clutch it at your discretion or just leave it in a particular gear or skip a couple gears to exactly the gear you want.

It's driving your car the way you want it when you want it.

Yes I'll admit I sometimes just want to go along for the ride. That's why I have my truck. It's comfortable and it takes me to where I need to go. But for a sporty car that's fast and handles I wanna drive it like i mean it. Lol

Get the manual mustang or opt for an auto prius

Just my opinion but either way buy what you want

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Driving a sporty car with an auto is like having sex but not actually having sex. It's like whipping it out but not actually bringing it home. There's satisfaction of thrusting it into gear when you want and how you want it.

It's being able to bring it to the limiter and then bang it into the next gear. Its about up shifting and letting the engine choke off the speed. It's about being able to double clutch it at your discretion or just leave it in a particular gear or skip a couple gears to exactly the gear you want.

Yes I'll admit I sometimes just want to go along for the ride. That's why I have my truck. It's comfortable and it takes me to where I need to go. But for a sporty car that's fast and handles I wanna drive it like i mean it. Lol

You do know the sport mode you can change gears on the auto like manual! A properly tuned automatic is amazing and fun.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

If you put the car in "Sport" mode you have to shift via the paddles. You can rev to the limit all day, hit the gear up paddle and the transmission "hits" the next gear hard. When you downshift the transmission rev matches to the lower gear.

So it's the best of both worlds.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
If you put the car in "Sport" mode you have to shift via the paddles. You can rev to the limit all day, hit the gear up paddle and the transmission "hits" the next gear hard. When you downshift the transmission rev matches to the lower gear.

So it's the best of both worlds.

I know I know. There's plenty of pros with an auto. It's faster in the quarter and shifts faster. And it's got manual gear select feature.

Different strokes for different folks. Just my opinion but most important is buying something that brings a smile to your face. There's more to it than just speed or even livability.

There's that back country road that's smooth as silk and curvy like Selma Hayek in her From Dusk Till Dawn and Desperado days. Imagine those curves with a manual shift instead of an latex clad auto lol =P

I jest. It's just my fantasy lol

Old 02-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
You do know the sport mode you can change gears on the auto like manual! A properly tuned automatic is amazing and fun.

Yeah as fun as it could be with a condom lol

Ok buddy I'll admit you're auto is faster in a straight. But "faster" ain't always better lol

Old 02-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #30
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:

Ok buddy I'll admit you're auto is faster in a straight. But "faster" ain't always better lol

Ehh...I would say it is.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
Ehh...I would say it is.

She might not agree tho... Lol

Old 02-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ha ha. Lot more fun than coming home with something that Ajax can't take off. Bet you wish you had the condom then. 😉

Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:

Ehh...I would say it is.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Ha ha. Lot more fun than coming home with something that Ajax can't take off. Bet you wish you had the condom then. 😉

Damn Kona you tried taking stuff off with Ajax!? 😦

Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn Kona you tried taking stuff off with Ajax!? 😦

Ha ha ha; that's some coarse stuff. Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT