What do you think of these paddle shift extentions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
What do you think of these paddle shift extentions?

Mustang Paddle Shifter Extension Pair 2015-16 | CJ Pony Parts

I've almost ordered these a couple of times, but then I go out to the car (in storage for the winter) and see where I usually hold my hands and look at the two levers for the wipers and blinkers.........and I think that these extenders might block them both visually. As well, I usually hold the steering wheel right where the stock paddles are anyway..........
On the positive side, these extenders might be easier to reach when steering, and holding the steering wheel closer to 10 and 2...............thoughts? For Billet aluminum, I don't think that they are priced that badly --- but they also ought to come with the adhesive, which they don't.........
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Well, I went ahead and ordered these. They should be here in about a week to 10 days.
I'll post pics when I get them installed, and a review of their use once I've driven with them.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Curious to see how they are.

I feel like a better design would have been a two-piece, clamp-on style. It would have a more sturdy feel to it.

Isn't it kind of a moot point that the hollowed out portion being cut to perfectly fit around the stock paddles since they recommend using some of that 3M double sided tape to mount them. That tape isn't very thin. Also, if your shifting by putting pressure mostly on the extension, wouldn't it eventually lift away from the stock paddle because it's having somewhat of a lever and fulcrum effect. I dunno, I can just see someone going to shift and having one of these pop off.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Curious to see how they are.

I feel like a better design would have been a two-piece, clamp-on style. It would have a more sturdy feel to it.

Isn't it kind of a moot point that the hollowed out portion being cut to perfectly fit around the stock paddles since they recommend using some of that 3M double sided tape to mount them. That tape isn't very thin. Also, if your shifting by putting pressure mostly on the extension, wouldn't it eventually lift away from the stock paddle because it's having somewhat of a lever and fulcrum effect. I dunno, I can just see someone going to shift and having one of these pop off.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Well, I plan on using Gorilla glue on mine.....and as far as them pulling off, you are pressing them toward the old paddles, so there should not be much stress on the attachments. Maybe in the very top tips there might be some levering effect -- We'll see.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
aesthetics

The aesthetics of the Red on an all Black interior is appealing to me. Which ones did you order?
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The aesthetics of the Red on an all Black interior is appealing to me. Which ones did you order?
I kinda' liked the red ones too, but my car is Guard Metallic (dark green, almost black) and the interior is all black...........so I got the black aluminum ones -- not the carbon fiber at twice the price!
If I had a red car, or one with the red accents in the seats, I'd have for sure gone with the red.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Please write when you have them installed. I'm thinking about buying a pair.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Please write when you have them installed. I'm thinking about buying a pair.
According to the tracking number, they are coming in the mail today. I am going to get some two sided automotive tape (depending on how thick it is) and ask if it will stick when it is near freezing, as it is here today.........otherwise, still tempted to go the Gorilla Glue route.......
Old 02-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think their going to work great. Nice looking set up. I'd go with the gorilla glue also. I've still been looking for a paddle shift kit for our 14. Seen a couple on You-tube, but nothing floats my boat.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I have these in red, they look and work great! Just buy some auto grade thin double sided tape for the install. Its a solid set up with no play at all.
mhagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

They did come in the mail today, but it is just too cold out for me to trust the J-B Weld catalyst glue I bought to put them on.
My first impression after taking them out of the wrapping and shipping stuff is that they are VERY well made. They are actually about twice the weight I expected them to be -- about 1/2 pound each. Very uniform in color, and the finish is superbly smooth!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed, very well made! I have a ruby red stang so I got the red ones to carry the red theme inside.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Whoa there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
They did come in the mail today, but it is just too cold out for me to trust the J-B Weld catalyst glue I bought to put them on.
My first impression after taking them out of the wrapping and shipping stuff is that they are VERY well made. They are actually about twice the weight I expected them to be -- about 1/2 pound each. Very uniform in color, and the finish is superbly smooth!
1/2 pound each??? That sound like they will put a severe strain on the paddle mechanism. I switched to the the Shelby steering wheel. Doing that I got to see the switch of the paddles, they are great for what they do but aren't made to handle a 1/2 pound of metal hanging off them. I will wait to see how you and others do in the future.
2016 GT Vert, SB, AT, 3:55s Weathertech, JLT, Steeda, Colgan, Velossa Tech, Coyote Spacers, Diode Dynamics, Shelby GT350 SW, Curt, Goodridge, aFe, MRT, BMR, Kooks, Mishimoto
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
1/2 pound each??? That sound like they will put a severe strain on the paddle mechanism. I switched to the the Shelby steering wheel. Doing that I got to see the switch of the paddles, they are great for what they do but aren't made to handle a 1/2 pound of metal hanging off them. I will wait to see how you and others do in the future.
8 Ounces added to your shift paddles is not going to hurt anything, and I am probably high on my SWAG on what they weigh......the small box they came in, and some wrapping paper weighed 1.1 pounds, according to the shipping information.
You probably put 5 or more pounds of force on the paddles when you shift them firmly.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Decided to test fit these, and they went on and fit so easily, I decided to go ahead and mix up the J B Weld glue and install them today.
I think that they look fantastic, as they match the interior extremely well (I don't think even the carbon fiber ones would look as good!).
You can easily see behind them (one of my worries in the OP), and it will be really nice to have these where I hold my hands a lot of the time -- especially when driving more aggressively.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well they look great...

I just hope they aren't as heavy as you originally thought. But time will tell. Have you tried driving with them yet? I was thinking they might be so large as to get in the way of gripping the wheel at some angles.. Inquiring minds want to know....
2016 GT Vert, SB, AT, 3:55s Weathertech, JLT, Steeda, Colgan, Velossa Tech, Coyote Spacers, Diode Dynamics, Shelby GT350 SW, Curt, Goodridge, aFe, MRT, BMR, Kooks, Mishimoto
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
I just hope they aren't as heavy as you originally thought. But time will tell. Have you tried driving with them yet? I was thinking they might be so large as to get in the way of gripping the wheel at some angles.. Inquiring minds want to know....
Plenty of room for your hands, unless maybe you play in the NBA.....As a matter of fact, hold your hands at 10 and 2, and these fall to hand just right for me. I really do think that they took clearance into mind in the design of these. As they fit behind the stock paddles. there is actually more clearance for these than the ones from Ford.
I have not, however, driven with them yet -- it's raining today.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good!

I wish the paddles were not attached to the wheel. While driving it can be frustrating trying to find the paddles. Maybe it's just me.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Looks good!

I wish the paddles were not attached to the wheel. While driving it can be frustrating trying to find the paddles. Maybe it's just me.
I know what you mean, but having these sure makes the places on the wheel where you hands may be more available to the paddles!
Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know what you mean, but having these sure makes the places on the wheel where you hands may be more available to the paddles!
That's what I wanted to hear!!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Reminds me of this.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455499733.898053.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	197019

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the red ones installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paddle Pic.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	197035  
Old 02-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Nice!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagerty View Post
Here are the red ones installed.
That looks good on your car, especially with the red horse as well.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
Reminds me of this.Attachment 197019
And, what's wrong with THAT?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
And, what's wrong with THAT?

Nothing...it just reminds me of the jitterbug phone that was designed for older people. Those paddle shifters have massive plus and minus signs, I'm guessing for older folks that can't see as well. Same design concept as the jitter bug phone. Just reminds me of it, that's all.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
Nothing...it just reminds me of the jitterbug phone that was designed for older people. Those paddle shifters have massive plus and minus signs, I'm guessing for older folks that can't see as well. Same design concept as the jitter bug phone. Just reminds me of it, that's all.
Ummmmmm.......my response was meant to be an LOL, that's all.....and yes, the "+" and "-" signs are larger, but not THAT big.......
Old 02-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Ummmmmm.......my response was meant to be an LOL, that's all.....and yes, the "+" and "-" signs are larger, but not THAT big.......

I know lol. I just wanted to post that pic. If I had an auto I would prob black out the plus and minus though.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Your paddle extensions turned out real nice. No danger of them coming off even with big mits. JB weld should keep em on forever!
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Your paddle extensions turned out real nice. No danger of them coming off even with big mits. JB weld should keep em on forever!

Hey thanks......J B Weld seems like a highly recommended bonding agent. I went into the auto store intending to buy two sided tape, and he recommended the J B Weld. Kind of nice the way it comes in two parallel tubes, and you just squeeze it out and mix it up -- easy -- peasy..............It sets in mere minutes, and does seem permanent.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've to glue them in 😓 I dunno about that
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmustang10 View Post
I've to glue them in 😓 I dunno about that
Most of the industrial strength catalyst glues (like J B Weld) now are many times stronger that any of the two sided auto tapes -- what would you have used to attach these?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I just hate glue, I get it everywhere and not what I need it on. My luck I'd sneeze when trying to put one on and get glue all over the wheel. Then get mad
Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmustang10 View Post
I just hate glue, I get it everywhere and not what I need it on. My luck I'd sneeze when trying to put one on and get glue all over the wheel. Then get mad
I am the same with most glues...............but J B Weld comes out of the tubes VERY thick, and comes with a small wooden stick for stirring and application. It stays where you put it, trust me on that.
You'd really have to be trying in order to screw it up with this stuff.
That, and it dries completely clear.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

So it's like a putty consistency ? Not like super glue. How much where these bad boys ? I never update my phone so link just keeps loading won't ever pull up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT