$3000.00 to spend - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
$3000.00 to spend

I have a new 2015 GT manual with performance package if you had 3k to spend what would you do? Not planning on driving road courses but will hit the track from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
NHFD01
nhfd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That would be like Christmas! Tuner first, headers, mufflers,shift kit, then wheels & tyres
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Take a vacation!!!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfd01 View Post
Not planning on driving road courses but will hit the track from time to time.
When you say this, are you talking about Xcross or the 1/4 mile?

I would suggest lowering springs and a tune for now...........new tires and wheels are going to eat up a good chunk of the 3K pretty quickly.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post

I would suggest lowering springs and a tune for now...........new tires and wheels are going to eat up a good chunk of the 3K pretty quickly.

1/4

NHFD01
Old 02-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post

Exactly right, and maybe mix in some IRS improvement parts. What I did with mine was focus on the performance stuff first. Steeda tune, and Steeda suspension goodies. Got lowering springs as well, although the suspension parts are still in the garage, for now. But I did throw on new wheels and tires after I bought the other items first. And then went out and bought a bottle of Capt. Morgan to celebrate. And stuff.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Well the OP spent about $2500 or so for the performance package, that includes Pirelli PZero (Summer) 275/40ZR19 rear tires and 255/40ZR19 front tires. Why be so quick to take these off?
It also already includes...
Retuned springs, bushings and monotube rear dampers
Additional cooling capability for track-day durability
Thicker rear sway bar
K-brace connecting strut towers to bulkhead
Strut tower brace
3.73:1 final drive ratio with Torsen differential
How about he go to the drag strip first and get a feel for what it can do and where improvements may benefit it.
Then get a tune and other desirable items and try the drag strip again.
Oh yeah, and although a bit on the bouncy side, it is about an 1" or so lower already.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Tune, Shifter kit since I hear it is still same MT82 issues. Exhaust. If you install vs. having done gotta figure that too.

$400 - Bama SF4/X4 Power Flash Mustang Tuner w/ 2 Custom Tunes 101200G15 (15-16 GT) - Free Shipping
$475 - https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/103
$700 - Eibach Mustang Sport-Plus Kit 4.14535.880 (15-16 GT) - Free Shipping
$450 - RTR Mustang Grille 389943 (15-16 All) - Free Shipping
$40 - https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1622850B/20...FddahgodU0UCuw
$150 - Ford Racing M-16600-M Mustang Taillight Panel Gloss 2015-2016
$40 - Complete Mustang Smoked Tint Kit (15-16 All) - Free Shipping
$380 - Pypes Mustang Pype-Bomb Axle-Back Exhaust - Black Tips SFM81MSB (15-16 GT) - Free Shipping
$330 - MMD by FOOSE Mustang Quarter Window Scoops - Pre-painted 387386 (15-16 All) - Free Shipping

There ya go. All spent!! LOL, love shopping for car parts. Good mix of looks performance and sound here. LMK what you think
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
Tune, Shifter kit since I hear it is still same MT82 issues. Exhaust. If you install vs. having done gotta figure that too.

$400 - Bama SF4/X4 Power Flash Mustang Tuner w/ 2 Custom Tunes 101200G15 (15-16 GT) - Free Shipping
$475 - https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/103
$700 - Eibach Mustang Sport-Plus Kit 4.14535.880 (15-16 GT) - Free Shipping
$450 - RTR Mustang Grille 389943 (15-16 All) - Free Shipping
$40 - https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1622850B/20...FddahgodU0UCuw
$150 - Ford Racing M-16600-M Mustang Taillight Panel Gloss 2015-2016
$40 - Complete Mustang Smoked Tint Kit (15-16 All) - Free Shipping
$380 - Pypes Mustang Pype-Bomb Axle-Back Exhaust - Black Tips SFM81MSB (15-16 GT) - Free Shipping
$330 - MMD by FOOSE Mustang Quarter Window Scoops - Pre-painted 387386 (15-16 All) - Free Shipping

There ya go. All spent!! LOL, love shopping for car parts. Good mix of looks performance and sound here. LMK what you think

That's a great list I will do some research on it

NHFD01
Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

$3000.00 to spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Well the OP spent about $2500 or so for the performance package, that includes Pirelli PZero (Summer) 275/40ZR19 rear tires and 255/40ZR19 front tires. Why be so quick to take these off?

It also already includes...

Retuned springs, bushings and monotube rear dampers

Additional cooling capability for track-day durability

Thicker rear sway bar

K-brace connecting strut towers to bulkhead

Strut tower brace

3.73:1 final drive ratio with Torsen differential

How about he go to the drag strip first and get a feel for what it can do and where improvements may benefit it.

Then get a tune and other desirable items and try the drag strip again.

Oh yeah, and although a bit on the bouncy side, it is about an 1" or so lower already.

I was going to hit the strip as it sits from factory and was then going to add cai, tune, throttle body 90mm and cat back the back to the strip just don't want to waste money probably cai is a waste?

NHFD01
Old 02-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Not planning on driving road courses but will hit the track from time to time.
Quote:
1/4
That wouldn't be very smart. The Torsen rear is not meant for the drag strip and will fail. It's just a matter of how soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
shift kit
Huh?
Quote:
I was going to hit the strip as it sits from factory and was then going to add cai, tune, throttle body 90mm and cat back the back to the strip just don't want to waste money probably cai is a waste?
A CAI and throttle body are a waste of money.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
That wouldn't be very smart. The Torsen rear is not meant for the drag strip and will fail. It's just a matter of how soon.

Thank you, I want to spend correctly that helps. Sounds like headers and full exhaust with a tune

NHFD01
Old 02-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you, I want to spend correctly that helps. Sounds like headers and full exhaust with a tune.
That would be a good start. The GT350 intake is also showing a lot of promise.

Just remember these mods will void your powertrain warranty. So make sure you're ready to deal with that should any problems come up.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Huh?

MT82= SHIFT KIT
Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

These are all good advices but im surprised that no one has mentioned that getting a tune could void his warranty!!!!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Warranty was mentioned.

BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
MT82= SHIFT KIT
There's no such thing as a shift kit with a manual transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
These are all good advices but im surprised that no one has mentioned that getting a tune could void his warranty!!!!
Quote:
Just remember these mods will void your powertrain warranty. So make sure you're ready to deal with that should any problems come up.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

😔

Old 02-13-2016, 02:14 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I have a new 2015 GT manual with performance package if you had 3k to spend what would you do? Not planning on driving road courses but will hit the track from time to time.

NHFD01
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:43 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The stock tires are more than adequate for speeds up to 100mph+. As others have said, CAI and other mods make small changes, if any. Bling isn't required, either. In fact, smoking peolpe with a sleeper is even more fun.

So what to get?

"What do I need for.." Safety Requirements for NHRA (Rollbar, Rollcage, harness, etc) - LS1TECH

Read this page. Most strips are not going to budge on these rules. Racing is a great sport to get started in. Just do it right and be able to enjoy it for many years.

From the factory, the V8 Mustang is rated at 12.9 seconds, putting it well within in the first expanded bracket of safety equipment requirements. Thankfully, the car passes every basic requirement from the factory. But you will need a helmet and safety loop. Also consider a racing suit as well in case of a crash or fire. The strips don't require it in most cases for factory cars, but it's silly to not own one if you plan to race.

And put a fire extinguisher in the car. Just make sure it's rated for electrical fires as well. I've seen a lot of things catch on fire at the strip besides tires.

#4 - The car is very heavy in OEM configuration. Drop the spare, and consider a rear seat delete kit if you care about astheics ( or just leave it out entirely if you don't care ). Many people just have a Corbeau type racing seat and remove the passenger seat as well. Just these steps can drop 150-200 lbs off of the car.

#3 The stock driveshaft if driven hard, can come apart and shatter in the worst case, or in the best, the flex and play in the system will cause your rear pinion seal to take a beating and eventually come apart. A one piece driveshaft is a must if you plan on racing it at the strip or track.

If the car has a one piece driveshaft already ( some configurations do ), you will still need a driveshaft hoop/bracket in case it does come apart. This is a required piece of safety equipment at most tracks and strips, just like a helmet is. ( see #1 below )

#2 The rear end, springs, and stiffness of the body, as well as the huge flex and body sway you get with the Mustang as it comes from the factory is a **big** negative. Wheel hop and shudder will rob you of a lot of time as well. It needs to put the power down to the road NOW and not whenever it feels like getting around to it. The stock V8 with proper suspension and handling mods is more than adequate to blow most other non-profesional drivers away. You can literally gain almost a full second with suspension mods. And the car will handle like it's on rails as a daily driver.

$2K should be more than enough to get most of this done if you do most of the labor yourself.

With stock suspension, I got passed by VWs on mountain roads. The engine could handle the speed, but the soft suspension was having none of it.

#1 The biggest problem with the manual transmission is the crazy amount of play and flex in the system. I touched on this in #3 above, but the solution is simple - get a Blowfish Racing bracket and convert the transmission into a solid mount design. This will cause more noise and vibration in the car. As a plus, it also functions as/qualifies as a driveshaft hoop/bracket.

Also, get a short throw shifter and/or a shifting bracket to remove play in the shifter.
Lastly, get a transmission mount insert to stiffen up the whole assembly.

Why am I suggesting all of this? Because getting locked out or grinding gears at 100mph while at full throttle is a recipe for a seriously bad next few seconds in the worst case, or a blown transmission shortly thereafter. The manual in the Mustang is a great piece of engineering once you get rid of all of the flex and play in it. Stock, it's a bit of a rubbery joke waiting to bite you in the rear.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
The stock tires are more than adequate for speeds up to 100mph+. As others have said, CAI and other mods make small changes, if any. Bling isn't required, either. In fact, smoking peolpe with a sleeper is even more fun.

So what to get?

"What do I need for.." Safety Requirements for NHRA (Rollbar, Rollcage, harness, etc) - LS1TECH

Read this page. Most strips are not going to budge on these rules. Racing is a great sport to get started in. Just do it right and be able to enjoy it for many years.

From the factory, the V8 Mustang is rated at 12.9 seconds, putting it well within in the first expanded bracket of safety equipment requirements. Thankfully, the car passes every basic requirement from the factory. But you will need a helmet and safety loop. Also consider a racing suit as well in case of a crash or fire. The strips don't require it in most cases for factory cars, but it's silly to not own one if you plan to race.

And put a fire extinguisher in the car. Just make sure it's rated for electrical fires as well. I've seen a lot of things catch on fire at the strip besides tires.

#4 - The car is very heavy in OEM configuration. Drop the spare, and consider a rear seat delete kit if you care about astheics ( or just leave it out entirely if you don't care ). Many people just have a Corbeau type racing seat and remove the passenger seat as well. Just these steps can drop 150-200 lbs off of the car.

#3 The stock driveshaft if driven hard, can come apart and shatter in the worst case, or in the best, the flex and play in the system will cause your rear pinion seal to take a beating and eventually come apart. A one piece driveshaft is a must if you plan on racing it at the strip or track.

If the car has a one piece driveshaft already ( some configurations do ), you will still need a driveshaft hoop/bracket in case it does come apart. This is a required piece of safety equipment at most tracks and strips, just like a helmet is. ( see #1 below )

#2 The rear end, springs, and stiffness of the body, as well as the huge flex and body sway you get with the Mustang as it comes from the factory is a **big** negative. Wheel hop and shudder will rob you of a lot of time as well. It needs to put the power down to the road NOW and not whenever it feels like getting around to it. The stock V8 with proper suspension and handling mods is more than adequate to blow most other non-profesional drivers away. You can literally gain almost a full second with suspension mods. And the car will handle like it's on rails as a daily driver.

$2K should be more than enough to get most of this done if you do most of the labor yourself.

With stock suspension, I got passed by VWs on mountain roads. The engine could handle the speed, but the soft suspension was having none of it.

#1 The biggest problem with the manual transmission is the crazy amount of play and flex in the system. I touched on this in #3 above, but the solution is simple - get a Blowfish Racing bracket and convert the transmission into a solid mount design. This will cause more noise and vibration in the car. As a plus, it also functions as/qualifies as a driveshaft hoop/bracket.

Also, get a short throw shifter and/or a shifting bracket to remove play in the shifter.
Lastly, get a transmission mount insert to stiffen up the whole assembly.

Why am I suggesting all of this? Because getting locked out or grinding gears at 100mph while at full throttle is a recipe for a seriously bad next few seconds in the worst case, or a blown transmission shortly thereafter. The manual in the Mustang is a great piece of engineering once you get rid of all of the flex and play in it. Stock, it's a bit of a rubbery joke waiting to bite you in the rear.

Great information, thank you for taking the time to post

NHFD01
Old 02-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

MT=Shift Kit

Quote:
There's no such thing as a shift quick with a manual transmission.

Example: Shift Kit from AM #387445
Barton Shifter $449.99
Old 02-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Example: Shift Kit from AM #387445
Barton Shifter $449.99
Correct that's a Barton shifter. But it's not a "shift kit". But keep trying.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Correct that's a Barton shifter. But it's not a "shift kit". But keep trying.
Well what the he** is it? If it's not a shift kit for the cr*ppy stock shifter, tell what it is then.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Shift kits are for autos.. A shifter is a shifter and a shift kit is inter,ally in an auto transmission I believe

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

What ever, I give, you win. This is stupid. Shift Kit- Shifter Kit.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
What ever, I give, you win. This is stupid. Shift Kit- Shifter Kit.

Let's hope you don't own or work at a shop

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao🍿

Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I think the best bang for your buck when it comes to having a very enjoyable car would be an H-pipe resonator delete, an axleback a cai and a tune. (deleting the suitcase resonator on the 15' makes it pretty crazy loud!!)

then spend the rest on coilovers or at least some stiff shocks and struts and a 1" drop spring and some IRS components from BMR to kill that wheel hop. if you wanna hook and book this must be addressed. stock suspension is way to soft to handle the weight of these cars. Also some rollbars will go a long way.

that's what I would do first if I got a 15' gt

the shifters in the 15's aint as sloppy as the 11'-14's although you still cant expect to shift real fast without getting hung up.... theres a medium speed in which you need to shift these cars, as soon as you get the hang of it, its all about consistency, if you try to shift too fast 8 times out of 10 you'll get hung up. the 15's are a bit more notchy.

so if your trying to go fast on the strip I do recommend mastering the stock shifter and then upgrading to an mgw short throw shifter kit.
5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #30
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
You should get a shaft kit and a rear end kit. After that...maybe a spring kit and a tune kit. Try to get as many kits as possible. Arts and craft kits are fun.

Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I thank everyone for their input, that's what's great being part of a family. I will now research what else I can add to a very capable car and report back on my findings from dyno and street.

NHFD01
Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455684392.561106.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	197121
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455684441.314438.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	197122
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmustang10 View Post

Very nice

NHFD01

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT