Long tubes ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Long tubes ?

Kooks 1-7/8

Or

Kooks 1-3/4
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Bigger if going to supercharge, smaller if not. That is a super basic/generalized answer with no other knowledge of your car, setup, or plans.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Will be going supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Bigger primaries will allow for more air out.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be going 1-7/8
Old 02-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

My mechanic/tuner (which works for Nascar) said that bigger does not always equal better. He said 95% of street cars run 1 3/4, there is no reason to do 1 7/8 unless you push your car extremely far. He said any extra money for them is a waste. I am currently at 617RWHP supercharged and plan on being around 650 to 675 within a few weeks. Hope this helps
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyzd30 View Post
My mechanic/tuner (which works for Nascar) said that bigger does not always equal better. He said 95% of street cars run 1 3/4, there is no reason to do 1 7/8 unless you push your car extremely far. He said any extra money for them is a waste. I am currently at 617RWHP supercharged and plan on being around 650 to 675 within a few weeks. Hope this helps

It's only $20 between the two price difference.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Headers are overall just a pain in the *** to install, so the bigger they are, the tighter the squeeze....he was probably just trying to explain in to make the install easier, lol. Either way, they are bad *** sounding and will add some serious torque after tune. Enjoy!
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 02-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm already paying a lot better get the bang for the buck right only $20 more which isn't bad difference in price.

Next on my list is CAI/tuner and Driveshaft.

Then the wait for warranty to end then my supercharger.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Warranties are overrated. I voided mine as soon as I got the car.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Your warranty could be toast when you tune.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I work at a dealership unless they can prove the tune made something go wrong I'm covered.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

There are way too many arguments and concerns over warranty, don't turn this into one. With that being said bro, you best tune it the same time you put headers on it. Most people dyno before and after so they can actually see the benefit of their hard earned money. Headers is a major job though, not something you are going to switch back and forth. You notice most of the noise under throttle, at idle is isn't all that much different. Are you changing the exhaust all the way back? I went with an off road H pipe, most people prefer the X. It's rare when headers are the start of modding. No point in paying multiple times to get tuned, just grab your CAI, Tune, and headers all at the same time. Dyno it and get it dialed in, enjoy bud!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Dyno tuning for mild bolt ons? I too like to toss money into a burning barrel.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Long tube headers, which Primary size is 'best'?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Really buddy....I have had my car tuned a few times, dyno runs are always included in price of tune. Maybe u only have availability in your location to email tunes? Tunes normally run me around 400 including 3 pulls on dyno. You pay how much for email tunes? Headers a mild bolt on? Maybe not major, but cost a few thousand. You are not really answering any questions, more so chiming in with dumb *** comments.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Already have X pipe and axle backs 👌🏻

Getting the drive shaft put in while putting long tubes in.

Going with a bama tune
Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha man, as for the X pipe, catless? What axle backs you running? Mine is a 2014, so I am not 100% sure about yours. But my RS3 after the H pipe is only 2.5 inch, so if you only have an axle back, you might want to look at opening it up a bit more. I am not sure if 15 is 3 inch or not. But opening up that restriction may help a little as well. A friend claimed to have added 30RWHP by going from his 2.5 to 3 inch setup. As for tune, I am sure you did your research....but most people on here seem to highly recommend justin at VMP or Shaun at AED. I have read a ton of mixed reviews on bama....More bad than good. I also switched to 1 piece DS, great upgrade!! Much lighter and the tires seemed to break loose even faster than before, ha. Keep us posted with everything, them are some great upgrade choices!!!
Old 02-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Really buddy....I have had my car tuned a few times, dyno runs are always included in price of tune. Maybe u only have availability in your location to email tunes? Tunes normally run me around 400 including 3 pulls on dyno. You pay how much for email tunes? Headers a mild bolt on? Maybe not major, but cost a few thousand. You are not really answering any questions, more so chiming in with dumb *** comments.
Dyno tunes are not necessary for a basic bolt on car. I tune my own car on the street in real world time as well as a few local guys I've helped. Cost is 0.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Was this thread started to ask if dyno tunes were necessary? I say when tuning your car, if dyno pulls are included to make fine tune adjustments, then great, thats a bonus! If not, oh well. If youre a tuner in the real world, why not offer advice on the actual thread? At least you were respectful though. As for other peoples comments, maybe we should stick to the actual post and not be a ******.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Dyno tunes are not necessary for a basic bolt on car. I tune my own car on the street in real world time as well as a few local guys I've helped. Cost is 0.
Dyno tuning will just allow you to get those small adjustments here and there to get that little bit more out of it. You have know way to tell that on the street.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotcha man, as for the X pipe, catless? What axle backs you running? Mine is a 2014, so I am not 100% sure about yours. But my RS3 after the H pipe is only 2.5 inch, so if you only have an axle back, you might want to look at opening it up a bit more. I am not sure if 15 is 3 inch or not. But opening up that restriction may help a little as well. A friend claimed to have added 30RWHP by going from his 2.5 to 3 inch setup. As for tune, I am sure you did your research....but most people on here seem to highly recommend justin at VMP or Shaun at AED. I have read a ton of mixed reviews on bama....More bad than good. I also switched to 1 piece DS, great upgrade!! Much lighter and the tires seemed to break loose even faster than before, ha. Keep us posted with everything, them are some great upgrade choices!!!

You buy the tuner through AM get free tunes why not run it. They've been good to me in the past.

Once I get my supercharger I'll Find a good tuner to dial her in right.

Bama tune should be fine for long tubes CAI and the Carbon Fiber DS. With the exhaust I've got now.

As for 2.5" or 3" I'm just going to get E Cut outs less expensive then getting custom 3" pipes made.

Unless I go all aluminum to cut weight then maybe 3"
Old 02-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Dyno tuning will just allow you to get those small adjustments here and there to get that little bit more out of it. You have know way to tell that on the street.
B.S. How many cars have you tuned where you arrived to this conclusion? Tuning on the street in "real world conditions" is the way to go.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Just because some guy has a Dyno does not mean you are getting a quality tune. Want real world experience? Message Alrefire and ask him how his reputable Dyno tuner did for him.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
B.S. How many cars have you tuned where you arrived to this conclusion? Tuning on the street in "real world conditions" is the way to go.
No, both are the way to go.

Ps, you obviously have to have a reputable tuner, or a dyno or a street tune argument is obsolete.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

I'm debating whether or not to do the long tubes and x or h pipe cause I like the sound of the roush axle back so much. How did it change the sound after u installed those 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
No, both are the way to go.

Ps, you obviously have to have a reputable tuner, or a dyno or a street tune argument is obsolete.
P.S. I tuned my own car on the street and 6 others to date. How many have you tuned again?

Back on topic. Go with the 1 7/8 primaries.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

The sound didnt change entirely much at idle. When they pulled the car up I actually expected more. Then he revved it and brought an instant smile to my face! Under throttle it is SICK!!! Nascar sounding under wide open throttle. Its great on highway if someone is drifring into lane. You rev it some and they run off road scared. At cold start it can be annoyingly loud, but it settles down after 20 seconds or so. In my opinion headers are a must have! I love them! The added power after tune was impressive as well. Honestly though the 2.5 inch roush exhaust is probably a little restrictive. I sort of want the kooks cat back now. Thats 3 inch all the way back and i want to keep roush tips. It would probably quiet it down some im sure. As you though, i love the roush sound, very unique tone. I might go kooks all the way, not sure. I dont want it quieter per say....ill keep u posted. The one roush Guy went to 3 inch exhaust and claimed to gain 30rwhp....i think that might be exaggerating, its one for sale on ebay, race built around 79k. I love it! I wish mine was forged, i might be pushing limits now....and cant afford a new motor. Injextors id 1000 and heat exchanger along with retune next week.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The sound didnt change entirely much at idle. When they pulled the car up I actually expected more. Then he revved it and brought an instant smile to my face! Under throttle it is SICK!!! Nascar sounding under wide open throttle. Its great on highway if someone is drifring into lane. You rev it some and they run off road scared. At cold start it can be annoyingly loud, but it settles down after 20 seconds or so. In my opinion headers are a must have! I love them! The added power after tune was impressive as well. Honestly though the 2.5 inch roush exhaust is probably a little restrictive. I sort of want the kooks cat back now. Thats 3 inch all the way back and i want to keep roush tips. It would probably quiet it down some im sure. As you though, i love the roush sound, very unique tone. I might go kooks all the way, not sure. I dont want it quieter per say....ill keep u posted. The one roush Guy went to 3 inch exhaust and claimed to gain 30rwhp....i think that might be exaggerating, its one for sale on ebay, race built around 79k. I love it! I wish mine was forged, i might be pushing limits now....and cant afford a new motor. Injextors id 1000 and heat exchanger along with retune next week.

R you on 82 mm pulley?

Old 02-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

80mm , Roush phase 3 kits comes with smaller pulley, VMP does not for some reason. There are a few options for me if i end up running E85 though, so potentially back to 82 mm pulley if i get a bigger BAP. I might end up running a different fuel system though, not sure
Old 02-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
80mm , Roush phase 3 kits comes with smaller pulley, VMP does not for some reason. There are a few options for me if i end up running E85 though, so potentially back to 82 mm pulley if i get a bigger BAP. I might end up running a different fuel system though, not sure

Vmp phase 3 comes with 82mm. I was thinking going to 79mm but I don't know if I want to risk it.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
P.S. I tuned my own car on the street and 6 others to date. How many have you tuned again?

Back on topic. Go with the 1 7/8 primaries.
I don't tune. If you want, argue with Shaun at AED. A REAL tuner.

But you're right, back on topic and agreed, go with the 1 7/8
Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
I'm debating whether or not to do the long tubes and x or h pipe cause I like the sound of the roush axle back so much. How did it change the sound after u installed those 2?

I wouldn't get an x pipe with a Roush axleback personally. Big pile of raspy mess

Old 02-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I wouldn't get an x pipe with a Roush axleback personally. Big pile of raspy mess

Yea that's what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for the heads up

Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

How does this sound?
http://vid1352.photobucket.com/album...psrzfrqs4j.mp4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT