Dead '16 Mustang GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
Unhappy Dead '16 Mustang GT

So my wife and I purchased our '16 Mustang GT Premium M6 in January 31 and yesterday while my wife was driving to work and it died on her in the middle of the freeway. Flashing CEL and complete lose of power. She was able to safely get it to the shoulder and coast to the exit that she was right at. Ford roadside service towed it to the dealer that I bought it from and they reported that there is complete lose of compression in cylinder 7. They have not figured out why yet. Anyone else heard of this in this happening? The car has just under 1,300 miles on it. This was my wife's dream car and now she is crushed. The car has been very lightly driven since I like to break in my cars for the first 1-2k miles and than get an oil change (was actually going to get an oil change first part of next week).

Ford has spend almost 5 hours troubleshooting it and has not figured out why this happened yet. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do or have heard of something like this happening or have had it happen to them? I'm waiting to see what my dealer says. The only change we've made is a Magnaflow Competition Cat back that was installed by a Mustang performance shop down the road from my house. This shop actually works on all the Roush and Saleen's that come to my dealer so I know they do good work and are very highly rated in my area. No tune or dyno or anything else like that has been done. The car sounded great and ran wonderfully till yesterday.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know that lemon law requires that the same thing break 3 times before they will replace the car. What I'm worried about is that with only just over 1k miles on the car it's having major engine work done to get it back up and running. I have no idea what other parts were damaged or how the longevity of the car is effected by this failure. Do you guys feel that I have a good case to get the car replaced with a new one if it comes to that? I'm guessing that a sensor would not cause compression issues on a single cylinder. Would contacting Ford directly help?
GreenMachine650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
They will not replace the car. Once it's registered its a used car. You will be forced to pursue the lemon law when it's applicable or sell the car if you don't want it anymore.

Sucks this happens.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Cars and every part in them are made by humans --- who are well known to be fallible more often than not.
Get the car fixed, as that is what the warranty is for after all, and then drive away happy.
It's tough, I know -- but every single part on your GT and mine was made by the lowest bidder.......Your car is going to be better than new when fixed, and you should be thankful she was able to get to a safe place on the freeway after a failure like this --- could have been much worse!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
One breakdown and repair will not get you lemon law coverage in any state. You need a lot more than one warranty claim.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Everyone is right here, you won't get another car nor should you. It sucks but that's what warranty is for.

For future reference there is no need to take it easy on a brand new car for break in. In fact I believe they should be broken it hard from the get go. That's what I've always done and my cars seemed to run faster than others.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Glad everyone is safe. Sorry for the hassle. Let them fix it under warranty. Keep detailed records.

Unless the exact same issue happens at least two more times, you will have a hard time getting them to admit it's a lemon (I know from experience). Drive it and enjoy it. Don't let fear of something else going wrong prevent you from enjoying what is traditionally a solid car.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #7

Thank you all for the replies. Just to be clear when I said new car I meant the exact same car, not a whole different make/model/etc. We definitely still want a Mustang. I understand that cars are made my humans and they are not always perfect. That is why they do warranty on them. What I'm concerned about is that in the long run this particular car won't last me as long as I'd like to keep it.... hopefully forever

Mugeismo - Did you have issues with your Mustang or a different car? Was it something similar like a major engine issue? I'm just curious.

Thanks again for your replies!!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine650 View Post
Mugeismo - Did you have issues with your Mustang or a different car? Was it something similar like a major engine issue? I'm just curious.
Prior to buying my truck I bought a certified used 2011 Nissan Sentra (in 2015) with 3,000 miles. I know that particular car in and out. So I wasn't worried about having to fix it if it broke. Plus it was dirt cheap.

At about 5,000 it started having braking problems (grinding/vibration). I couldn't find any other owners on different Nissan forums having the same issue. The Nissan tech center told me they weren't aware of any issues. So I replaced basically every part in the front passenger brake setup multiple times. The issue never went away. After the third attempt to fix it, I called up the dealership and told them it was a lemon. I gave them all my documentation and receipts. They took the car and zeroed out the remainder of my loan.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Green Machine.........When they rebuild, or more likely replace your engine, they will for sure check the compression in all cylinders (ask them to if you don't think they will).
A complete loss of compression in a cylinder is a one in a million failure in a brand new car. It is extremely unlikely that what happened in this case damaged any other part of the car, but I would have them check the o2 sensors and the catalytic converters as both probably got pretty well oiled. You and your wife and your new Mustang will be fine, but I do imagine she is just heart sick over this. I would be too.......
When you say "green machine"......did you get Guard Metallic? We have the same color and just love it.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
So my wife and I purchased our '16 Mustang GT Premium M6 in January 31 and yesterday while my wife was driving to work and it died on her in the middle of the freeway. Flashing CEL and complete lose of power. She was able to safely get it to the shoulder and coast to the exit that she was right at. Ford roadside service towed it to the dealer that I bought it from and they reported that there is complete lose of compression in cylinder 7. They have not figured out why yet. Anyone else heard of this in this happening? The car has just under 1,300 miles on it. This was my wife's dream car and now she is crushed. The car has been very lightly driven since I like to break in my cars for the first 1-2k miles and than get an oil change (was actually going to get an oil change first part of next week).

Ford has spend almost 5 hours troubleshooting it and has not figured out why this happened yet. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do or have heard of something like this happening or have had it happen to them? I'm waiting to see what my dealer says. The only change we've made is a Magnaflow Competition Cat back that was installed by a Mustang performance shop down the road from my house. This shop actually works on all the Roush and Saleen's that come to my dealer so I know they do good work and are very highly rated in my area. No tune or dyno or anything else like that has been done. The car sounded great and ran wonderfully till yesterday.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know that lemon law requires that the same thing break 3 times before they will replace the car. What I'm worried about is that with only just over 1k miles on the car it's having major engine work done to get it back up and running. I have no idea what other parts were damaged or how the longevity of the car is effected by this failure. Do you guys feel that I have a good case to get the car replaced with a new one if it comes to that? I'm guessing that a sensor would not cause compression issues on a single cylinder. Would contacting Ford directly help?
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Why would loosing compression in one cylinder cause the entire engine to shut down. Granted I have not worked on cars with computers but in the old days you could take out half of your spark plugs and still run.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I doubt if it was a cylinder losing compression. The engine would not have shut down completely. Voltwings will probably see this and give us a better idea of what happened.
The Warranty will cover the repair and they should give your wife a car to use while it is being repaired.
Once it is repaired it will be as good as the new car it is.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have to agree with ronnie948, complete loss of "compression" doesn't sound reasonable with a new car. Perhaps a bad ECU, coil, sounds more electrical than mechanical. And theres no way Ford will replace the car, in the grand scheme of things this is minor. Best of luck.
RCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
When you say "green machine"......did you get Guard Metallic? We have the same color and just love it.
GreenMachine because I have a Candy Lime Green Kawasaki motorcycle.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

that sux, but junk happens....lets get a real diagnosis and see what they say. a loss of compression if true would have been real loud. I would talk to sales/service nicely (honey not vinegar) asking for a loaner and if it ends up being something serious (ie NOT electrical) ask for a gimmie extended wtty for your troubles.

good luck and don't let one incident ruin the experience.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Guess just be thankful you didn't mod it or tune it. Another good reason to wait to mod a new car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
RED SNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #17

Latest update. Engine is getting pulled from the car so they can start dismantling it. They still don't know what happened. My service manager that I always work with said they have over 9hrs on my car so far. They are all stumped at this point which is why they need to start dismantling it. She said they are going to start with pulling off the heads and see what they find. I think I'm going to take Strange Mud's suggestion and talk to them about some extended warranty to help ease my concerns. Specially since I'm already thinking about replacing my Escape with a new car in the next few months which I'll end up getting through them as well.

Through this whole thing I've been nothing but nice as have they. They gave me a fully loaned 2014 Escape as a loaner the day it happened and have done everything they can to make sure I'm happy in this pretty crappy situation. I have no problems with the dealer at all. I hope my original email didn't come through that I was angry at the dealer or anything like that. Just was trying to vent at little bit about the situation as a whole.

Overall I'm very easy going. I know this will get resolved. I just really was hoping not to have to go through something like this for a car that cost me this much money. This still doesn't turn me off of Ford either. My last 2 cars (Mazda 3's) had Duratec motors and my current car is an Escape. I'm looking at a Lincoln MKZ as my next car to trade in my Escape for.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It's good that they are treating you right and not just giving you the run around. Even if they can't find the issue, it seems like they are trying. Maybe recommend just replacing the engine and the entire ECU.... Like said before, a loss in compression wouldn't just shut the engine off and have it completely die, so my guess is more electrical than engine related.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Keep us informed. We are all rooting for you and sure it will be repaired.
Ronnie
Old 03-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
It's good that they are treating you right and not just giving you the run around. Even if they can't find the issue, it seems like they are trying. Maybe recommend just replacing the engine and the entire ECU.... Like said before, a loss in compression wouldn't just shut the engine off and have it completely die, so my guess is more electrical than engine related.
The car would start up but run like crap and die. I'm guessing its the computer trying to protect other parts since there is something causing damage or potential damage and turning itself off from what I've been reading. Though it's hard to say that is even happening without knowing exactly what failed.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
The car would start up but run like crap and die. I'm guessing its the computer trying to protect other parts since there is something causing damage or potential damage and turning itself off from what I've been reading. Though it's hard to say that is even happening without knowing exactly what failed.

Any update?
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #22

The dealer is still waiting on parts. They figured out what happened though. Valve retainer failed due to a possible defect and it dropped a valve into cylinder 7.... Engine is completely destroyed... Lots of bent/damaged parts. Ford is replacing the whole engine... Wish they would just replace the whole car just to make me happy but they have told me they will make it right with warranty and some compensation. We'll be sitting down with the service manager, sales manager, and a Ford rep once I get the car back. I'll get some pictures of the messed up valve and piston in a few minutes. I actually got a chance to stop and get pictures today.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:08 AM   #23

See attached for pictures of the valve and piston...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	198230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	198231  

Old 03-15-2016, 01:31 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Wow that's nuts.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

sweet, as you know it does stink but it does sound like it'll work out as well as it can in a situation like this.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It will be fine and you will be a happy Mustang Driver again.
A guy in my Muscle car club had to have the whole engine replaced in his brand new $85.000 Corvette.
He is happy with the job they did except it took over two months before they could get a replacement engine.
They did extend his warranty to 100,000 miles on the engine.
Ronnie
Old 03-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It will be fine and you will be a happy Mustang Driver again.
A guy in my Muscle car club had to have the whole engine replaced in his brand new $85.000 Corvette.
He is happy with the job they did except it took over two months before they could get a replacement engine.
They did extend his warranty to 100,000 miles on the engine.
Ronnie

Dang. That's only 10,000 more than the powertrain warranty lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

[QUOTE][They did extend his warranty to 100,000 miles on the engine./QUOTE]

Corvette "ENGINE" is normally under warranty for 36,000 miles.
His will be covered for 100,000 miles = Engine Warranty
He is not going to modify the car anyway so this is a great deal for him if he keeps the vette and stops looking at the GT-500 pictures and drooling.
Ronnie
Old 03-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #29
Staff

Regular
Staff

https://www.google.com/search?q=corv...utf-8&oe=utf-8

that being said I assume the % of folks that drive a Vette over 12K per year is a good bit less than 50%...idk but they are often 2nd/nice day cars.

props to them for extending his wtty either way. Something like that is fair for the hassle (& OP's hassle)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I feel ya, I had to convince Ford to repair my 2012's Mt82 that imploded without provocation with about 6500 on the car. Brand new. I didn't ask for a new car bc I would not get one. A warranty is a sales tool and applies to the item you purchase, not as credit towards something else. That and the fact there would not be another car optioned like mine in the right colour just sitting around like milk on the shelf. I bought the last available MGT at dealer level for that year in the entire region.

They eventually came around to accepting the problem and repairing it. It was fine after that.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #31

Update 2016-03-20

So the dealer called me on Friday morning (the day the car was suppose to be done) and informed me that they found another problem as they went to put the motor back in the car. The oil dip stick tube had a small dent in it (the part that is actually in the motor). They think it's due to stuff flying around when it failed causing it to be bent. They ordered another part but there is apparently no overnight shipping available on it and it's going to take them almost a week to get the part.... So now we have to wait another week or so.

To help me sleep better at night I contacted the general manager of the dealer and service manager and scheduled a meeting with them to discuss how they are going to make this right for me on Tuesday morning. Really hoping they will make this right for me. They have officially had the car longer than I had it.

I was really looking forward to some cruising this weekend specially since we now had to cancel a vacation that were suppose to go on but couldn't since the loaner car was not allowed to leave the state.

Really hoping nothing else goes wrong and Tuesday's meeting goes well. I'll send another update soon as I know more.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for your troubles. They do seem to be trying to make it right. I realize it's frustrating to be without a new car and to have had such a catastrophic failure but, you really need to let them fix it, stay cool here and it'll work out. Not sure what making it right looks like to you beyond repairing what broke.

If I'd ask for anything here beyond the stipulations of the warranty work, I'd ask for a loaner vehicle or maybe a payment waived or similar. It's small but, I'd be keeping in mind I'd rather have them focused on repairing the car right, with minimal distractions. You are getting a whole new engine; there is no way to reapir that mess economically.

I do sympathize. I lost the trans in my 2012 at about 6500 miles. No provocation. The input shaft bearing failed and the trans whined line an F1 procharger. I negotiated hard for about a month to get the car fixed. They were initially rather unwilling to accept there was a problem but I was polite, persistent and eventually they came around and fixed it. I do high stakes negotiations for a living and this was still some hard sledding. If I might make a suggestion in negotiating, don't add in all the little frustrations like losing the vacation and stuff. People think that helps but, it really doesn't. It tends to look like you are trying for "pain and suffering" compensation like in a personal injury claim. A warranty is a contract with explicit stipulations; anything else is goodwill.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #33
Road Trip!
Regular

[QUOTE=ronnie948;2345923]
Quote:
[They did extend his warranty to 100,000 miles on the engine./QUOTE]

He is not going to modify the car anyway so this is a great deal for him if he keeps the vette and stops looking at the GT-500 pictures and drooling.
Ronnie

The Chevy powertrain warranty covers the engine, Trans and transfer case for 5 years or 100k miles. Which ever comes first. The bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years 36k. In not sure what your talking about.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 AM   #34
Road Trip!
Regular

[QUOTE=ronnie948;2345923]
Quote:
[They did extend his warranty to 100,000 miles on the engine./QUOTE]

Ronnie

Unless he has a 2016. In 2016 GM reduces their powertrain to 5 years 60k. I have a 2015 with 5 years 100k.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Warranty is 3 years - 36,000 miles on a 2015 Corvette

Power Train is 5 years 100.000 miles
The engine on his is now covered for 100,000 miles

Read it and learn something,
Warranty Coverage at a Glance
The warranty coverages are
summarized below.
New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Bumper-to-Bumper (Includes
Tires)
. Coverage is for the first 3 years
or 36,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
Powertrain
. Coverage is for the first 5 years
or 100,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
Sheet Metal
. Corrosion coverage is for the
first 3 years or 36,000 miles,
whichever comes first.
. Rust-through coverage is for the
first 6 years or 100,000 miles,
whichever comes first.
Emission Control System
Warranty
For light duty trucks, see How to
Determine the Applicable Emissions
Control Systems Warranty under
Emission Control Systems Warranty
on page 25 for more information.
Federal
. Gasoline Engines and Car
Diesel Engines
‐ Defects and performance for
cars and light duty truck
emission control systems are
covered for the first 2 years or
24,000 miles, whichever
comes first. From the first
2 years or 24,000 miles to
3 years or 36,000 miles
defects in material or
workmanship continue to be
covered under the New
Vehicle Limited Warranty
Bumper-to-Bumper coverage
explained previously.
Specified major components
are covered for the first
8 years or 80,000 miles,
whichever comes first.
heavy duty truck emission
control systems are covered
for the first 5 years or
50,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
. 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engines
are covered for the first 5 years
or 50,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
California
. Gasoline Engines and Car
Diesel Engines
cars and trucks with light duty
or medium duty emission
control systems are covered
for the first 3 years or
50,000 miles, which

This is for a 2015 Corvette right out of the Manual.
They agreed to cover his replacement engine for 5 years up to 100,000 miles which will be good if he keeps the Corvette for five years.
Original warranty on the GM engines is 3 years - 36,000 miles unless you buy an extended warranty.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT