Consumer Reports low reliability rating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Consumer Reports low reliability rating

My father-in-law has a Consumer Reports subscription. The latest Auto issue gives the 2015 Mustang the lowest possible rating for reliability. I have looked on the internet and I can't find any research that would back this rating.

The 2015 GT is my first Mustang, a car I've wanted ever since the first time I saw it live at the New York World's fair in 1964. In all my life I have never met a Mustang owner that has complained about their car being unreliable!

So I humbly ask the members here if they think this CR rating is even remotely accurate.

Thanks in advance.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Much of the recent "reliability" ratings being low on all Ford products have more to do with the Sync products than with the rest of the car.
If the Bluetooth or Nav or linking with your phone to play all of your recordings does not work seamlessly and faultlessly and immediately -- the millennial -- age folks are reporting that as a "defect" and it brings Ford's ratings way down in the scores.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Guard said it very well. The infotainment complaints are somehow factored into reliability which brings the score down. I personally don't understand why so many people think MyFord/Sync is so hard to use. The voice commands are limited but the head unit is easy to navigate and the touch features work fine for me. It's a pressure point system. Are there better infotainment systems out there? yes, but MyFordTouch is not the worst. Again that's just my opinion.

Now if there are separate reliability concerns regarding the HVAC, powertrain and cosmetic features of the car that's a different story. I haven't heard too many negative things about the S550 cars.
Now

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
On the report did it list any specifics? I would say the biggest issue would be the sync, interior quality, and misc noise and rattling. Again nothing that's a major issue and I've had trans ams and Camaros before and they did the same thing. But I think a lot of people pay 35-40 k for these cars and are highly disappointed with the Minor issues mentioned above.

Aside from the manual trans issues which only occur under extreme stress I have not heard of any of major drivability issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
On the report did it list any specifics? I would say the biggest issue would be the sync, interior quality, and misc noise and rattling. Again nothing that's a major issue and I've had trans ams and Camaros before and they did the same thing. But I think a lot of people pay 35-40 k for these cars and are highly disappointed with the Minor issues mentioned above.

Aside from the manual trans issues which only occur under extreme stress I have not heard of any of major drivability issues.

No specifics! That's what has me perplexed.

Rattling, interior, and sync may be an issue for some, but that wouldn't or shouldn't make the car unreliable.

I just got back from a nice Sunday drive. I have 6300 miles on my Mustang convertible. No rattles, sync and my iPhone Bluetooth work fine, and I still love my leather interior. Maybe my car is a fluke? lol
Old 03-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Every once in awhile, it's hard for my iphone to connect to sync. All i have to do it delete the phone from sync, and re-pair it. I wouldn't really call that a defect. I do however, have a slight rattle from one of the vents on the passenger side. However, coming from a new edge mustang, which rattled enough to make you grind your teeth, i can live with a chatty vent. I haven't had the car long enough to really comment on reliability, but I don't have any complaints thus far. People stress the little things way too much imo.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
At least it isn't like Consumer Affairs where everything is deemed to be of the poorest quality. Here's a review, verbatim, regarding the Ford Mustang: "I purchased a 2016 Mustang GT on 9/26/15. I love the car. The only problem is when you open the driver door or press the lock button on the key fob the passenger window rolls down automatically" Satisfaction Rating 1 Star
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Every once in awhile, it's hard for my iphone to connect to sync. All i have to do it delete the phone from sync, and re-pair it. I wouldn't really call that a defect. I do however, have a slight rattle from one of the vents on the passenger side. However, coming from a new edge mustang, which rattled enough to make you grind your teeth, i can live with a chatty vent. I haven't had the car long enough to really comment on reliability, but I don't have any complaints thus far. People stress the little things way too much imo.

I honestly have nothing rattle in my New Edge, minus the center vent when it's on high. Other than that, silent.

Oh, and my shift knob rattles off and begins unscrewing itself during hard acceleration sometimes, too. But it isn't the stock one
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
I honestly have nothing rattle in my New Edge, minus the center vent when it's on high. Other than that, silent.

Oh, and my shift knob rattles off and begins unscrewing itself during hard acceleration sometimes, too. But it isn't the stock one
Ride along in my car... You'll have a completely different understanding of what NVH is lmao.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Do I think their ratings are fair, yes. But as mentioned Sync is a biggie and for those of us with base models who cares. I will say my 5yo 25K Stang has way more rattles than my 11yo 98K Tacoma. Rattles are forgiven in a fun car but if it was a commuter car I'd be PO'd
Old 03-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Do I think their ratings are fair, yes. But as mentioned Sync is a biggie and for those of us with base models who cares. I will say my 5yo 25K Stang has way more rattles than my 11yo 98K Tacoma. Rattles are forgiven in a fun car but if it was a commuter car I'd be PO'd
The rattles issue sounds like something Ford may have worked hard on for the new Mustang. One year in, and 7,500 miles -- ours is still as tight and silent as the day we bought it. There is not one noise other than one creak from the convertible's passenger side top mechanism that happens about every fifth speed bump when the top is up -- which is rarely.
I guess we'll have to see at 5 years and 25K, but for now still like new.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Ride along in my car... You'll have a completely different understanding of what NVH is lmao.
Now that I think about it, the dynamats in my doors and around the back speakers probably help some. I've never ridden in any other Mustangs to compare the noise to, though

Old 03-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I can confirm an issue being present with regards to rattling. I even created a thread here on ME and got no response in 10 days. I know have almost 21k miles on my Ecoboost and the A Pillar plastic cover and the plastic cover where the drivers seat belt bolts down both rattle on occasion. A little pressure and the rattle goes away short term. I am guessing the clips on these pieces are either broke or insufficient. That being said, I would not call the car unreliable. The right pedal sure does work!

A pillar rattle.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a 2012 with 42,000 miles, v6, and never had any problems other than the AC leaking with it was pretty new. It was fixed under warranty and nothing since then. I'm not thrilled with the manual transmission linkage but I don't consider that a reliability problem, just a bad design. I also had a 2011 5.0 and never had any problem except the transmission linkage being stubborn. Almost forgot the 2011 did drive into a telephone pole at a high rate of speed but that may have been the driver. I can attest to the safety features of the car as I walked away with just a scratch on my hand and some bruised ribs.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I simply hate the sync system in my 2012 stang. I don't use it after tried and failed couple of times. other than that, the only complain I have with my car is some come-and-go-and-come rattle happening from time to time.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #16

Consumer Reports low reliability rating

Just remember that Consumer Reports gave the highest rating to the AMC Pacer "back in the day" !
theColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theColonel View Post
Just remember that Consumer Reports gave the highest rating to the AMC Pacer "back in the day" !
CR does love the Prius and the Camry. Hard to believe.

Oh, the 2016 Corvette also is "Unreliable". No rating on the 2016 Camero. Too new and hasn't been tested. Any bets on how they rate the Camero?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #18

Region: Florida
Very little credibility in my opinion...check out the names of the editors, you'll see their nearly all Asian and highly biased toward Japenese products across rhe board cars or otherwise. A good friend pointed this out to me years ago. Therefore CR is full of crap IMHO...
RedS550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

2015 GT Premium w/ PP, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
My father-in-law has a Consumer Reports subscription. The latest Auto issue gives the 2015 Mustang the lowest possible rating for reliability. I have looked on the internet and I can't find any research that would back this rating.

The 2015 GT is my first Mustang, a car I've wanted ever since the first time I saw it live at the New York World's fair in 1964. In all my life I have never met a Mustang owner that has complained about their car being unreliable!

So I humbly ask the members here if they think this CR rating is even remotely accurate.

Thanks in advance.
This is my first Mustang also, and so far (7K miles) no problems. I get CR too and do not understand the ratings, but they depend on people filling out those surveys and you never know.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

2015 GT Premium w/ PP, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post

Forgot to mention in my prior post, but I have experienced a slight thump from the differential when depressing the clutch prior to shifting. I read some reviews before the car came out and this was mentioned, but nothing lately.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Asian bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedS550 View Post
Very little credibility in my opinion...check out the names of the editors, you'll see their nearly all Asian and highly biased toward Japenese products across rhe board cars or otherwise. A good friend pointed this out to me years ago. Therefore CR is full of crap IMHO...
I used to sell Toyotas back in the mid-eighties, and I always kept a copy of CR at my desk. CR sold a lot of cars for me, but when the competition was as bad as it was, it didn't take much. LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT