Fresh Spring waxing = Guard Metallic sure takes a great shine! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Fresh Spring waxing = Guard Metallic sure takes a great shine!

I think that it is a mistake for Ford to be getting rid of Guard Metallic for the Mustang next year, but sales numbers may be low for this color -- I've only seen one other in town.
The metal flake in this color has a really great silver and gold tints to it, and the rest of the color changes shades depending on how the light is hitting it. I get compliments on this color all the time -- and to me this color is very classy -- almost Audi-like. It is an unusual color for an American manufacturer to have come out with. Check out the reflections of those license plates that I have hanging on the wall on the far side of the car. The wax I use (and it stopped me from trying ANY other) is Collinite 845:

Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I had the pleasure of driving next to a Guard colored V6 in traffic, this afternoon. It's a strange color, but I like it. In different lighting, it completely changes color. I had thought it was a grey mustang at first until i got up next to it, and realized it was guard. Really cool to look at!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
I had the pleasure of driving next to a Guard colored V6 in traffic, this afternoon. It's a strange color, but I like it. In different lighting, it completely changes color. I had thought it was a grey mustang at first until i got up next to it, and realized it was guard. Really cool to look at!
In some lights -- like on a cloudy day, there are grey highlights as well:

.........and then in bright sunlight, it just comes alive with different highlights:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
2 thumbs up!

From a 2012 v6 auto to a 2015 GT manual
Golden_Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's kinda like Dark Highland Green... Only with a little bit less of the Dark Highland.

Looks good!
Nice and shiny!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks guys -- appreciate the compliments. The convertible certainly has a completely different profile with the top up than the fastback, doesn't it?
I think that it is one of the few on the market that looks as good (or dare I say better?) than the corresponding hardtop model.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I just saw a 15+ driving with the top down yesterday. It did look very nice!
I think that Ford did a beautiful job on the styling of the current generation.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
'15 convertible profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Thanks guys -- appreciate the compliments. The convertible certainly has a completely different profile with the top up than the fastback, doesn't it?
I think that it is one of the few on the market that looks as good (or dare I say better?) than the corresponding hardtop model.
It does have a seemingly different profile, but I like my '15 GT Premium/PP fastback. lol Looks very nice though.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflections View Post
It does have a seemingly different profile, but I like my '15 GT Premium/PP fastback. lol Looks very nice though.
I may be reaching a bit here.......but I LOVE it that a member with the user name "Reflections" posted in this thread!!!....

I can think of some REALLY ugly convertible conversions --- think 370Z....that was truly fugly in profile with the top up!!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Very nice! Collinate 845 is the best, goes on easy, comes off easy. If you really want great durability and shine try using Menzerna Power Lock, its polymer sealant. I put two coats of Menzerna and top it off with two coats of Collinate on the stang and my roadster. That will last a whole year if you garage the car. All you need after that is touch up spray wax of your choice every few weeks.

Just remember you can't use a sealant on top of a wax so if anyone wants to do this you should wash your car with Dawn liquid soap to remove any wax on the car. To really have it looking good clay bar the car after you wash it then apply the sealer and wax
mhagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
In some lights -- like on a cloudy day, there are grey highlights as well:

.........and then in bright sunlight, it just comes alive with different highlights:

I decided to work part time at my local Ford dealership (where I bought my car) cleaning new and used cars. Yesterday I cleaned an Explorer that was Guard, and I have to agree it's a crazy cool. Inside it's one shade, outside it's another!
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Reflections

Quote:
I may be reaching a bit here.......but I LOVE it that a member with the user name "Reflections" posted in this thread!!!....

I can think of some REALLY ugly convertible conversions --- think 370Z....that was truly fugly in profile with the top up!!
"Reflections" is the name of my community here in San Antonio. Does "Reflections' have a special meaning or did I miss something in your post?
Old 03-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflections View Post
"Reflections" is the name of my community here in San Antonio. Does "Reflections' have a special meaning or did I miss something in your post?
Just that this thread is about how shiny something is and that it has a great "reflection.".....Sorry, possibly should have been more clear why I was in good humor about that..........
Old 03-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Looks nice for sure ..I also use collinite but the paste 476 awesome wax for the price.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
Looks nice for sure ..I also use collinite but the paste 476 awesome wax for the price.
Two things that I like about the Collinite 845 are the price and how little of it you have to use. A bottle of the stuff seems to last forever.
If you have used both, how does the 476 compare as far as price? Can you also post a pic of the resulting 476 shine?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Is this stuff spray wax? I just had mind fully waxed by Restore FX and I want to keep it prime. They sell their own spray on stuff that they recommend to apply every 3 months or so to maintain the shine, but I'm wondering if anything else would work. My biggest challenge is I don't have a drive way to wash my car so I use those dollar washing stations and I worry about using brushes .

Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

reflections

Quote:
Just that this thread is about how shiny something is and that it has a great "reflection.".....Sorry, possibly should have been more clear why I was in good humor about that..........
Sorry, I'm a little slow on the uptake LOL. Should have picked up on that.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I just picked up a can at a local auto paint store for 18.00 like the liquid 845 you use very little of it thin coat . I haven't used the 845 but i believe it's the same as the 476 but because of it being in paste form it might be a little more durable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0312161617.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	198212  
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Is this stuff spray wax? I just had mind fully waxed by Restore FX and I want to keep it prime. They sell their own spray on stuff that they recommend to apply every 3 months or so to maintain the shine, but I'm wondering if anything else would work. My biggest challenge is I don't have a drive way to wash my car so I use those dollar washing stations and I worry about using brushes .
Just type in "Collinite 845" over on eBay, and numerous entries will come up. Also go to Autogeek.com and do the same search. Lots of information there as well on its origin and use.
That said --- if you just paid big bucks to get your car detailed, please check with them to make sure that whatever you use is going to be compatible with what they applied.
845 is NOT a wax, but an industrial sealant originally used to keep wires from arcing, believe it or not.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I just picked up a can at a local auto paint store for 18.00 like the liquid 845 you use very little of it thin coat . I haven't used the 845 but i believe it's the same as the 476 but because of it being in paste form it might be a little more durable
Looks very nice. I've had a couple of red cars:

And yes, that IS a bright red football field --- prior to even the yard numbers being installed:
Old 03-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #21

Region: Australia
Totally agree with you on the colour....mainly cause that's what I chose too & I couldn't be happier!! Very happy it's discontinued now. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458051525.743736.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	198235Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458051551.227177.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	198236

2015 Guard GT
AussieGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Yours is the first one I've seen with stripes.....that looks awesome. Are the stripes darker green or kind of a smoke color?
Old 03-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #23

Cheers!! Yeah the stripes are almost unnoticeable in the evening when the guard colour turns darker but during the direct sunlight they show. I like how they are there but not "in your face". They are solid black over the roof but are graduated at the bonnet tip and boot so they don't look too heavy!! I'm away for work for a week but I'll try get a close up of the stripe for you when I get back.

2015 Guard GT
Old 03-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Really? No one is going to take issue with one of the red cars above?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Well, since you asked... I've never been a fan of Ferrari. Especially anything built after the early 70's. With one exception, I suppose... The F40.

Why Guard? Why???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh , whatever dude. Lol ferraris are awesome . I've never smelt one let driven one !

Old 03-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
I know. I'm probably in the minority.
Everyone that I've ever known who has owned a Ferrari, has had nothing but problems with them. And, outside of the warranty, they are expensive to repair!

If someone were to make me an offer of either of those cars, for free, with the only stipulation being, that I could never sell whichever one that I chose, I'd take the Corvette.

So what's the story on the red cars Guard? Particularly the Ferrari???
Old 03-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Lol.
I know. I'm probably in the minority.
Everyone that I've ever known who has owned a Ferrari, has had nothing but problems with them. And, outside of the warranty, they are expensive to repair!

If someone were to make me an offer of either of those cars, for free, with the only stipulation being, that I could never sell whichever one that I chose, I'd take the Corvette.

So what's the story on the red cars Guard? Particularly the Ferrari???
The Corvette really was ours........as for the Ferrari...........not so much.
We were on vacation in New Orleans, and the Ferrari was parked in front of the jewelry shop, very near Bourbon Street. We went in to the jewelry store, and I asked if they knew who owned the Ferrari in front. The owner of the store volunteered that that was his car, and he and I struck up a conversation for several minutes about cars, including our Corvette, which to his credit he was complementary about.
I asked him if I could sit in it, and............he called his personal mechanic out of the back of the shop. He and I went outside, and I sat in it (thought asking for a ride might be a bit much!) for the picture opportunity.
Funny thing though --- as we were leaving and I was walking around the car, I made a noise like OOOOOO --- when I got to the right front, as the wheel on this Ferrari had some serious curb rash on it! The mechanic asked --- What? And I pointed out the ruined wheel. He turned as white as a ghost and said that it was going to be his job to tell the car's owner that he (the owner) did that parking this morning, as that damage was not there when he washed it for him the afternoon before. I wonder what a new Ferrari wheel COSTS?
Judging from the prices of the jewelry in that store, he could afford a new wheel.............
Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

You don't buy a Ferrari for its reliability . She is like an alpha steed that will never be tamed. Race bred and Italian engineered masterpieces . Not all of them. They certainly had their flops . Particularly the Bertone designed 208 'dino' gt4 (all 208's were meh) and the 418 grand tourer that looked like a late 80's Buick. Anyways, if I had the money I would definitely have some Italian machines in my shed. I would honestly settle for an Alfa Romeo Giuletta. I spent a lot time in the Mediterranean last year and I really loved seeing Alfa's. Also, Volk's Scirocco's still exist and are sublime . Look me up. It's a wonder they don't sell em here with the hot hatch market in pretty good shape

Old 03-17-2016, 04:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Well, since you asked... I've never been a fan of Ferrari. Especially anything built after the early 70's. With one exception, I suppose... The F40.

Why Guard? Why???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Why Guard? Oh man, where do I start!!

If you're asking that question then I will never be able to explain it to the point where we agree!!! I think some colours ooze power, muscle, and "look at me" while other colours ooze class. For me the guard is the one the classiest of all available and is the most understated. I like the way the rear lines look most in guard. The rear wheel flares and back qtr panels scream jag, and Aston Martin and the guard accentuates it even more in my mind. Also it's the only colour that changes so much in different light. And now it's discontinued I couldn't be happier!!!

Each to their own though. I totally understand why ppl go red or black. It's just not for me.

As for Ferrari, drove this on an amazing road trip (great ocean road, victoria, Australia) and loved it. Ridiculously fun & recommend it to all!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458207591.530610.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	198333Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458207718.922276.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	198334

2015 Guard GT
Old 03-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGT View Post
Why Guard? Oh man, where do I start!!

If you're asking that question then I will never be able to explain it to the point where we agree!!! I think some colours ooze power, muscle, and "look at me" while other colours ooze class. For me the guard is the one the classiest of all available and is the most understated. I like the way the rear lines look most in guard. The rear wheel flares and back qtr panels scream jag, and Aston Martin and the guard accentuates it even more in my mind. Also it's the only colour that changes so much in different light. And now it's discontinued I couldn't be happier!!!

Each to their own though. I totally understand why ppl go red or black. It's just not for me.

As for Ferrari, drove this on an amazing road trip (great ocean road, victoria, Australia) and loved it. Ridiculously fun & recommend it to all!!!Attachment 198333Attachment 198334

2015 Guard GT
Lol
No!
I think that you misunderstood.
I was asking Guard 5.0 a question... Why?
If I was asking you a question, I would say "Why Aussie? Why?
And you would inevitably reply "Hey mate! What's wrong with us Aussies?"

I like Guard Metallic!
I always swore that I would never own a red vehicle. But a couple of years ago, during a moment of weakness, I purchased a red car hauler/ramp truck. I don't know what in the hell that I was thinking! Oh well, I'm getting used to it... I guess.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Corvette really was ours........as for the Ferrari...........not so much.
We were on vacation in New Orleans, and the Ferrari was parked in front of the jewelry shop, very near Bourbon Street. We went in to the jewelry store, and I asked if they knew who owned the Ferrari in front. The owner of the store volunteered that that was his car, and he and I struck up a conversation for several minutes about cars, including our Corvette, which to his credit he was complementary about.
I asked him if I could sit in it, and............he called his personal mechanic out of the back of the shop. He and I went outside, and I sat in it (thought asking for a ride might be a bit much!) for the picture opportunity.
Funny thing though --- as we were leaving and I was walking around the car, I made a noise like OOOOOO --- when I got to the right front, as the wheel on this Ferrari had some serious curb rash on it! The mechanic asked --- What? And I pointed out the ruined wheel. He turned as white as a ghost and said that it was going to be his job to tell the car's owner that he (the owner) did that parking this morning, as that damage was not there when he washed it for him the afternoon before. I wonder what a new Ferrari wheel COSTS?
Judging from the prices of the jewelry in that store, he could afford a new wheel.............
Wow! The guy has a personal mechanic that he keeps in the back of his shop?!?
I want a personal mechanic!

I wonder if that is an option on a Ferrari now?
Old 03-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Wow! The guy has a personal mechanic that he keeps in the back of his shop?!?
I want a personal mechanic!

I wonder if that is an option on a Ferrari now?
Maybe more of a Ferrari valet/car washer/waxer/detailer, I suspect. Very few real mechanics are up to doing a valve adjustment on a Ferrari............

Another couple of interesting stories of this same trip to Vegas..........we were in the Ferrari/Lamborghini dealership in the Wynn, and my wife struck up a conversation with a guy who was there picking out a Ferrari for his BEAUTIFUL girlfriend --- I mean an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10...."I want this one honey!" Turns out the guy was Wynn the billionairre himself!!!! and the girl was his new (at the time) British girlfriend that caused his divorce.
The guy I was talking to in another area of the showroom (and who breathlessly told us my wife was chatting up Mr. Wynn) turned out to be the head detailer for the service area downstairs. I complained that our Corvette (the red one above) was as dirty as it had ever been, as it had rained on us all the way to Vegas. He offered to detail it for me so I drove downstairs and parked our 'Vette among about 10 Ferraris and 4 or 5 Lambos and Maseratis.
He did a great job on our car, and when we showed up to pick it up, he refused payment!!! Super nice guy and when we went back to Vegas last year, we looked him up to say hi:

Dirty car, with one of the mechanics there checking out our car. Heads up displays were pretty new at the time, and he thought ours was cool. You can see some of the exotics parked next to the wall. Those exhaust pipes are supposed to be SHINY chrome, so you can see how FILTHY the car was:

The Lambo he was finishing before starting on our Corvette. Felix (the detailer) said that the owner of this Lambo was only in Vegas maybe twice a year for a week, he was coming in tomorrow, so wanted the car detailed prior to his arrival. He pulled our car in the bay to the left:

Picking up a really nicely detailed Corvette! And yes, I was one HAPPY camper:

Old 03-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Thank you for sharing your photos! Great story too.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
Thank you for sharing your photos! Great story too.
That was a great trip with unusual and NICE things happening to us at every turn. Nice memories for sure.
Me and Felix talking what kind of wax he uses (Meguires products only for him). I wish that I had lights like these in our garage!!!:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT