Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Building a 2015 Super Snake Clone

56K views 391 replies 43 participants last post by  medwards 
#1 · (Edited)
I intend this thread to be a complete documentation of the building of a 2015 Shelby Super Snake clone (at least as close as I can come to it being a clone). The intention is to have a car as similar to my 2015 Shelby Super Snake as I can build. I plan on doing the entire build myself and then running this car both on road courses and drag strips.

I expect this to be a fairly long project in terms of time since there is a lot to do to the base car to convert it to a clone. Please be patient with me.

Attached is the list of parts. I'll be placing orders in the coming weeks or so.

Attachments

#275 ·
I built a 14 3.7 and wanted more performance. I got a base 16 GT with 3.55:1 and 6R80 auto with "Paddles", man as an older guy I know about back problems, the 3.55:1 is the best gear for road course action and My budd has a 2009 Shelby I helped build to 600 Rwhp, he still can't get grip to suit his taste, these IRS ponies are just so much more fun for my "Road Warrior" antic's. Where are all the Gen6 Camaro's? I still can't find one to test on the road?

#282 ·
Hey Michael... With end of the year approaching, just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed this thread all year long. If there was a “Thread of the Year” award, I would be nominating this one. Great detailed posts, videos, and burnouts the length of your driveway. Seeing your daughter doing your safety wiring inspired me to do my own for the first time.

Thanks! Have a great holiday and Happy New Year!

#283 ·
TBone...thank you for the compliment. And to that end.....

The S/C install finally begins! Back has healed enough...other repairs on the fleet of cars are complete...hunting season has ended...Time to add some ponies to the SS Clone.

Attachments

#303 · (Edited)
This is the kit (although if bought from Shelby it's modified a little). https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=368

If you buy the stock kit from Whipple, you get a 3.75" pulley. Boost is about 10lbs. If you get the Shelby Super Snake kit, the pulley is 3.625" which gives 12lbs of boost. Smallest pulley/most boost available is a 3.5" pulley at 13-14lbs of boost, but you need to run 105+ octane so it's really not streetable unless you don't mind spending a ton of money on fuel.

My car has the oval 132mm throttle body, 72lb fuel injectors, and 3.625" pulley. Spark plugs are changed to be slightly cooler. It has a Whipple tune that is slightly modified specifically for the Shelby kits. I have the stage 3 kit with heat exchanger, dual fans, COA. Other than that it is very , very similar to the kit show at the link above (some of these items can be chosen from the options on their site).

#305 · (Edited)
It's a final tune. You actually use their Canlope tool to download your VIN and it scans your car's setup. You then email the file to Whipple and they have a guy that creates the tune specifically for your car and then you get a login to a website to download your tune. If there are special items on your car, you need to talk with them. The SS will never be tuned beyond the Whipple/Shelby tune. It remains untouched.

The Clone, however, will go to Pete at Performance Dyno to be further tuned ( Performance Dyno - Home https://www.facebook.com/performancedyno/ ). Eventually it will get a mild wet nitrous installed (yes...I am going to combine boost with nitrous...some will criticize this decision but there are a lot of valid reasons for me to do this) and it will need to be tuned further after that install.

Just to address why I'm installing nitrous....belt driven S/C like the Whipple provide a lot of torque and low end power. The do well in the mid power range as well. They don't excel in upper end power. S/C like the pro charger have a different way of delivering boost and do well with upper end power. Turbo's excel in mid and upper end power. Secondly, S/C like the Whipple do have heat issues. A modest shot of nitrous will cool the combustion chambers and can be selectively added to create HP in areas where the S/C may be starting to slow in the power adding. My guess is that I will be applying somewhere around a 50 shot in either 4th or 5th gear to get more speed at the end of the run. It's a long ways away since I need to get this thing tuned with just the S/C before I add the nitrous. But, my expectation after having run the Super Snake is that I will need another 50 to 75 HP at the very end of the run as the Super Snake accelerates great until the very end and then it doesn't pull anywhere near as hard as it should. That's the theory...we'll see how things turn out in practice.

#306 · (Edited)
Hood is back on....and wheels appear to be connected to the supercharger :whistling:

Oh...and why not a snowmobiling picture to celebrate all the new snow we just got here in the northeast :facepalm:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.