Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Building a 2015 Super Snake Clone

56K views 391 replies 43 participants last post by  medwards 
#1 · (Edited)
I intend this thread to be a complete documentation of the building of a 2015 Shelby Super Snake clone (at least as close as I can come to it being a clone). The intention is to have a car as similar to my 2015 Shelby Super Snake as I can build. I plan on doing the entire build myself and then running this car both on road courses and drag strips.

I expect this to be a fairly long project in terms of time since there is a lot to do to the base car to convert it to a clone. Please be patient with me.

Attached is the list of parts. I'll be placing orders in the coming weeks or so.

Attachments

#3 ·
Not yet. That looks like it's going to be a bit of work. Finding the right car for the right price is proving a bit elusive.

#6 ·
Yup, it's covered in detail on the other thread. I can repeat. Basically I bought the SS to have fun, but also to keep the miles off it to a degree. After driving it I had so much fun that there is no way I'll keep the miles off it. And after seeing how capable it was, I really want to do some real road course and dragway racing. So...I figured why not build one for about $50k less and beat the snot out of that one :dance:

#11 ·
So the GT here in KY is a no go?
Adventure till you drop.
It's an ex-rental vehicle with about 20k miles. They won't move on the price. If it was a single owner car I would jump at the $27,000 price. But, since it's a rental GT you know it probably has some hard miles on it even though the overall mileage is low. I want to pay about $22k. They keep balking. I'll let it sit and they can pay the floor plan on it for a month more and then I'll try again.

#8 ·
I assume your SS wasn't built from a Base GT as you intend to use now. ??

#13 ·
My SS is built from a 50th Anniversary Edition GT (all the bells and whistles and a numbered car). The clone is going to be a cheaper base car.

#14 · (Edited)
I just threw up in my mouth. If your willing to spend that much on your car, why didn't you just buy a used 2014 gt500? It's cheaper and it's actually under warranty.
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sorry I made you puke in your mouth.

#10 ·
Because how many dudes you know with an SS. I personally love your car and if you're passionate about this , I say go for it. You know what you want so trust your instinct . Besides , half the forum will tell you to buy a Camaro instead!

#12 ·
How many dudes you know with a 60k fake ss? The answer is zero for a reason. And this dude isn't doing it either. He can't afford anything other than a used base gt. And that's totally ok. Been there done that. But come on...does anyone really think this will happen?

#15 ·
It's ok if u beat the snot out of it. That's what it's meant for. Why spend all that money for it to be a garage queen?!! Not sure if u intend on selling it in the far far far far far future and hoping to make a profit. I think you would enjoy it more of u kept it and passed it down to kids or grandkids then to limit u driving it and selling it to someone who's gonna beat the snot out of it. Pick up a gt throw a blower in it and beat the snot out of that if itl make u happy.

#20 · (Edited)
It's ok if u beat the snot out of it. That's what it's meant for. Why spend all that money for it to be a garage queen?!! Not sure if u intend on selling it in the far far far far far future and hoping to make a profit. I think you would enjoy it more of u kept it and passed it down to kids or grandkids then to limit u driving it and selling it to someone who's gonna beat the snot out of it. Pick up a gt throw a blower in it and beat the snot out of that if itl make u happy.
It'll be a bit of a garage queen because I would probably cry if I crash the actual SS.

"Fun" with the SS is going to car shows, spinning it around in donuts, smoking the tires, maybe a few times at vintage roadway races, possibly a handful of runs at New England Dragway each summer....oh, and definitely a lot of cruises up and down the coast every weekend during the summer with my lovely wife.

But, after putting about 500 miles on the SS I just can't help but want to drive it like the horrendously powerful and capable hog that it is. And, one day that will likely put a big dent in it (or worse). And then I'll start crying. No one wants to see that. So, the SS will do the "fun" things listed in the prior paragraph . The car I'm building will be just as capable but cost a lot less than the SS. That one is going to be driven like the SS should be driven. And when I put a dent in it I won't cry.

#17 ·
Thanks for supporting me everyone. But, let's keep this thread from going off the rails. I'm ok with people voicing their opinions if they disagree with what I'm doing. That's fine.

I do want to keep the thread on track so it'll be on the site as a resource to others wanting to do either some level of the work I'll be completing...or maybe go the entire way.

Let's let opinions be made and try to keep the overall thread on track. :thumb:

#19 ·
Good luck sir.. Happy building. I will be curious to c how they will compare when all is done. I will volunteer to drive one or the other head to head with you to do that comparison???

#22 ·
He was mostly trying to call you out on making uneducated responses , but sure go with that. Again , I think you just missed the part where he actually also has a real SS. Hell, he can build a clone SS out of a pair of aluminum tongs and A 9volt battery if he wants to , as long as he posts pictures of his shelby every now and again I'll subscribe

#26 · (Edited)
Very good observation. My intitial thought was to leave the interior stock until I find out how much I slide around in the seats before I add the Recaro's. The 5pt harness will work with the stock seats (so I'll be snug while the shotgun rider will be sliding all over ;-) ) I probably should simply buy the Recaro's up front since the stock seats (front and back) get entirely removed to install the roll bar. So, once I have the interior out, I'll probably realize the errors of my ways and order the Recaro's.

#27 ·
Why don't you buy these and beat the snot out of them? He'll you'll even have a backup car. View attachment 199285
Independent rear suspension is the single biggest reason. In Vegas I drove a 2014 Shelby GT (a little less HP than the SS, but very similar in that the car is highly modified in the suspension area by Shelby). The solid axle car simply did not stay put in the corners like the independent suspension 2015 car. It was night and day on the road course in favor of the 2015...night and day.

Reactions: audioAl
#33 · (Edited)
You won't regret it. I'm not sure how cars like the SS are actually legal to drive on the road with all the power it has...but I'm glad the powers-that-be have never limited HP for registered vehicles. It goes like a raped ape and corners like a slot car...and sounds soooo good.

#35 · (Edited)
So much for white. Can't find a car that works (seems like there aren't enough white cars out there to fit what I'm looking for regarding price and mileage).

So, which of these do you like best?

Attachments

#38 ·
I know. but the white ones are all $4 to$7 thousand more. And I can't find any white 2015 leftover (brand new) anywhere with 1,000 miles of me. I found a nice 2015 Black GT with leather Recaro seats leftover (brand new) for $30,000. I'm really leaning towards that one. It's in northern NY. I love that yellow one but my wife is fighting me on it. She wants the black with black stripe.

#42 ·
I was once a poor college student. Now at almost 50 I'm having a lot of fun. Work hard, get great grades, and work your butt off at your first job out of college and things will work out...and you'll be buying Super Snakes in 30 years. (BTW...those decades fly by, so enjoy being young).

#43 ·
I must have missed something, thought " clone " would result in a blue car ??
"Clone" in all respects but color. I was going to do a mirror image (SS is blue with white stripe....I was planning on building white with blue stripe). But, as circumstances change one must adapt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.