newbie manual question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Region: Colorado
newbie manual question

I have a 16 Base Mustang GT, Manual 3.31 gears and small 235/50 R18. Just at 200 miles so I am very new to this car. I have been looking to see if anyone else has has the same issue but I have not seen the question yet. When I hit second over 5 grand and shift the car kicks the tail out hard right always to the right. I can control it but it makes the car dance and doesn't seem normal. I was looking at Steeda S550 Mustang IRS Subframe Bushing Support System or Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System. Anyone else notice this same issue and fixed it? I am not sure if wheel hop is making it kick hard or something else. I will have used track tires for the track. I just don't want to be that guy running into the crowd.
svnwolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwolves View Post
I have a 16 Base Mustang GT, Manual 3.31 gears and small 235/50 R18. Just at 200 miles so I am very new to this car. I have been looking to see if anyone else has has the same issue but I have not seen the question yet. When I hit second over 5 grand and shift the car kicks the tail out hard right always to the right. I can control it but it makes the car dance and doesn't seem normal. I was looking at Steeda S550 Mustang IRS Subframe Bushing Support System or Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System. Anyone else notice this same issue and fixed it? I am not sure if wheel hop is making it kick hard or something else. I will have used track tires for the track. I just don't want to be that guy running into the crowd.

Your loosing traction. Most likely because of the Prius sized rear tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

Tire size

We own a chipped 07 335 with the same size tires about same gears with a limited slip like the s550 it runs high 11s and it can break the tires but tracks strait. I know I break loose 2nd and 3rd. Unlike our 335 it's acting like the Axle is shifting to the right. I will have race tires for it I didn't want to bank my car on this being just an issue with the P zero neros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
We own a chipped 07 335 with the same size tires about same gears with a limited slip like the s550 it runs high 11s and it can break the tires but tracks strait. I know I break loose 2nd and 3rd. Unlike our 335 it's acting like the Axle is shifting to the right. I will have race tires for it I didn't want to bank my car on this being just an issue with the P zero neros.

I don't think a 335 has the same torque as your 5.0 so it's not really a good comparison. Kinda like saying my Prius tracks straight with the same size tires. It's drifting because it's probably sensing wheel spin and sending the torque to another tire. Take the tc off and see if it does the same thing.

Also...you prob have Michelin pilot ss on the 335 right? They are much better than p zeros. I really thing it's a tire issue and nothing else. I bet wider rear rims and tire will fix the issue.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #5

Tires

Yes we have pilot super sport 2 on the 335. It's at the dealer today getting a chip repair (pre delivery chip). The mustang tech said he will test drive it. Trust me if I could have got bigger tires without paying 12k more I would have.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You're simply over powering the tires, nothing more.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
The mustang tech said he will test drive it.
=some 17 yo will do donuts in the parking lot
Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
did you pay $70,000 for ///M3 style perfection or did you pay around $30,000 for good ol' American fun??

the issue you're describing is something that's happened to me in EVERY mustang i have ever owned, and btw i have 275/40s on my past 3 mustangs in the rear and it still kicks sideways... if you want it to track straight, you're gonna spend the other $12,000 on all adjustable links and such, and trial and error to dial it in.

NOW, if you're discussing the wheel hop issue, and you're on a tight budget, get the bushing support system, it makes the car worlds better. but as for eliminating the hop completely, you're gonna need everything in the Steeda Stop-the-hop kit.

i put both the products you mention in the original post and i STILL have hop, soooo yeah, be happy you didn't have to pay $70,000 for something that handles this well with over 400hp
TigerStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #9

Update on tires

The 335 is my sons car and he paid 17k for it not 70k. Boosted cars have no resale value. Anyway the Mustang tech at the dealer didn't notice anything with the car. I got a chance to take it out this afternoon. I noticed the tire gripped much better however the psi was at 40. I dropped it to 38 after driving for 20 minutes. Lunched at 3k hit second with no issue. Tested again shifting at 6700 rpm pulled a 5.7 zero to 60, not the best time but The road was over 6000 feet and it's slightly uphill. Very lite kick this time, must have been new tires issue, maybe the tech burned them a little. The kick before wasn't just a little kick. It was moving the *** end a good 3 feet. Next question... I have a buddy who is going big tire since his Fairlane is now twin turbo and selling his hoosiers. Are 26 by 10 slicks too much for this car? I assume that 8.8 is bulletproof.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
The 335 is my sons car and he paid 17k for it not 70k. Boosted cars have no resale value. Anyway the Mustang tech at the dealer didn't notice anything with the car. I got a chance to take it out this afternoon. I noticed the tire gripped much better however the psi was at 40. I dropped it to 38 after driving for 20 minutes. Lunched at 3k hit second with no issue. Tested again shifting at 6700 rpm pulled a 5.7 zero to 60, not the best time but The road was over 6000 feet and it's slightly uphill. Very lite kick this time, must have been new tires issue, maybe the tech burned them a little. The kick before wasn't just a little kick. It was moving the *** end a good 3 feet. Next question... I have a buddy who is going big tire since his Fairlane is now twin turbo and selling his hoosiers. Are 26 by 10 slicks too much for this car? I assume that 8.8 is bulletproof.

My psi on my 15 gt was recommend to be at 32 psi. 38 seems awful high.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The 335 is my sons car and he paid 17k for it not 70k. Boosted cars have no resale value.
I was more or less just kidding with you, but making the point that even a 335 is about $50,000 brand new. I'm guessing your son's car is an E90 or E92 depending on door configuration with the online 6 turbo.
My buddy just recently bought the same thing and then later upgraded to an M5, same generation.

Point being, my car kicks very slightly to the side, nothing that's even remotely scary.

Also, I'm curious, have you owned any mustangs before this one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #12

Not anything new, why I said newbie question. Only Manual stang I have driven was a 65 with a 289, my friends Fairlane had a 4 speed and didn't kick hard right. The main question was around the IRS for 2015 and 2016. The 335 example is a similar IRS setup. The energy placement is totally different than a solid axle.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

How hard does yours kick to the right? Like enough that you have to adjust your direction with steering?

Or does the rear tire only move out like an inch or two?

Old 04-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #14

Small tires sounds like a good bit of the issue.And at the end of the day it's a high horsepower RWD car,the rear end kicking out comes with the territory.It takes multiple mods to "solve" this issue,but that's the fun.Trying to correct the nature of the beast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #15

Tires

I should have said it's more like the car goes into a drift, I have to turn into the kick. Yes it was an issue with the tires needing to be burned.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I guess you're all good now? Lol

Old 04-21-2016, 02:18 AM   #17

tires

Yes I am good. I have 275/40r19 and 255/40r19 Hankook v12 evo2 on drag dr48s on a truck from Discount showing up tomorrow. Now that I know what the issue was I am ok with dropping some bills on proper tires. Quickly learning about the car. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I am good. I have 275/40r19 and 255/40r19 Hankook v12 evo2 on drag dr48s on a truck from Discount showing up tomorrow. Now that I know what the issue was I am ok with dropping some bills on proper tires. Quickly learning about the car. Thanks for the help.
Great! Happy to have you in the mustang community, it sure is a great place to be! Let us know how you like the new tires!

Old 05-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #19

Hankook v12 evo2

These tires seem to do the trick. No wheel hop yet. Not sure if they was only a 2015 thing .. we also have not had hot roads yet. I can chirp shifting 3th and 4th. Car feels more planted above 75, stock tires and rims felt drifty. Not enough open road around here to get crazy on it. I did have one kick but it was 40 degrees and dusk. Soon it will be x pipe and some minor items.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by White5ohhhhh View Post
Small tires sounds like a good bit of the issue.And at the end of the day it's a high horsepower RWD car,the rear end kicking out comes with the territory.It takes multiple mods to "solve" this issue,but that's the fun.Trying to correct the nature of the beast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This.

Your car's stock suspension and smaller tires just aren't designed to unleash all what the 5.0 can put down. I had similar issues with my 13 GT, until I stiffened the rear end and slapped on some real rubber.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
After reading this post I'm looking forward to getting the leftover 2015 GT this weekend. It'll be interesting to see just how crappy it runs all stock at the drag strip next Friday compared to how the Super Snake did on her maiden voyage.

Sounds like I'll have to do some test runs on a wide road during next week to see just how much it wiggles around when powershifting in a 1/4 mile run before I line up at NE Dragway.
"All the options baby!"
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
After reading this post I'm looking forward to getting the leftover 2015 GT this weekend. It'll be interesting to see just how crappy it runs all stock at the drag strip next Friday compared to how the Super Snake did on her maiden voyage.

Sounds like I'll have to do some test runs on a wide road during next week to see just how much it wiggles around when powershifting in a 1/4 mile run before I line up at NE Dragway.
wait wait wait, you're trading in a super snake for a base model 15' GT??

also, if not in this thread, can you post your realistic stock times and include 0-60 plz
Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerStang View Post
wait wait wait, you're trading in a super snake for a base model 15' GT??
also, if not in this thread, can you post your realistic stock times and include 0-60 plz
I'm building a Super Snake "clone" with the '15 GT. I bought a GT Premium without the tracpack. I'm going to run the GT to see how it differs from the Super Snake before doing any work to it.

I expect it to be a very different and inferior car to the Super Snake....but that's not to say that the new model GT isn't an awesome car! It's just not a Super Snake

I plan on changing suspension first before installing the supercharger. I want to see how each component improves the car incrementally.

There is another thread "building a super snake clone" that will detail the build.
"All the options baby!"
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeahhhhh I saw that on the other thread a second late lol

Old 05-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #25

So the tires helped but wasn't a 100% of what I felt it should be and the car was hopping now. I installed the steeda bushing support (red bushing). I can now lay 11s without the car kicking out, same token I can lay down 11s without much thought. Those evo2 can smoke once they are loose. This is what I felt the car should respond like. Also my rear IRS bolts broke loose way too easy, no way they had been set to 129 pounds. Front was fine.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Svnwolves, did a dealer do the work or you?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #27

lol no I did the work, took two hours with pulling the mufflers. Only time my cars are in the shop is warranty work.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol no I did the work, took two hours with pulling the mufflers. Only time my cars are in the shop is warranty work.
Yeah same here. I felt like the rear ones were easier on my car.

Did you get the bushing support system yet? (Aluminum spacers) if not I highly recommend those.

Also, when you put the red differential bushings in, did you notice any extra gear whine?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT