Hit a deer with our GT!!! AAAAARGH! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Hit a deer with our GT!!! AAAAARGH!

Yes, that's right --- we smacked a deer with our GT while out for a drive today. Luckily we were only going about 30- 35 mph as we entered a speed zone, but the deer's body still went THUMP as we hit it with the front of the car. Did not even see the thing until it was running right to left, right in front of us. I did have time to dynamite the brakes for about 1/2 a second before impact.
We hit it dead center on the car on its left hip, and it limped off, then ran off -- so at least the deer appeared to be OK.
As for the car, the impact broke our front license plate holder (already on order through eBay) and appears to have bent down the very top of the bumper cover in front of the hood, resulting in a 6 inch slightly concave, curved oval depression right at the front center of the bumper cover. No broken paint, and I was able to massage the plastic there and get about 60% of the depression out....100% on one side of the center (there is a slight crown separating the two sides) and less than that on the other side.
Any ideas as to how to get rid of the rest? We have $1000 deductible, and I've seen new primered bumper covers for a couple of hundred. I wonder how much my body shop of choice would charge to paint and install those?
I have yet to swear here on this forum...................but DAMN deer anyway!............THUMP!!!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Pictures? I know it's morbid , but I'm curious to see the damage

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That's a shame Guard.

I think that you can remove dents from polyurethane bumpers using a heat gun. I would search YouTube and see if you can find a suitable video.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

I saw a video of someone putting aluminum foil on then spraying a can of aerosol spray on it upside down and then hitting it with hear.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Pictures? I know it's morbid , but I'm curious to see the damage
You can just see the change in the reflection and color at the very front center of the top of the bumper cover:

Old 04-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
What a bummer! Can't hurt to get an estimate from your body shop. You could also look at this as an opportunity to get the new Steed fascia.
mhagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagerty View Post
What a bummer! Can't hurt to get an estimate from your body shop. You could also look at this as an opportunity to get the new Steed fascia.
I was thinking the same thing --- but if you can believe this....Ford only charges $148 for the entire front bumper cover! I was very surprised at the price!
I would have to get either the Steeda or the Ford part painted and installed --- going to the body shop today.
With a $1,000 deductible, I may just live with the small residual dent......but that is all I see now when I look at the car, you know?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Are you sure that's the correct price on the front bumper cover, if it is that's great! I know in my area it costs $750 to paint the bumper in Ruby Red.

By the way, I did buy the Steeda fascia and will have it installed in a couple of weeks.
mhagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagerty View Post
Are you sure that's the correct price on the front bumper cover, if it is that's great! I know in my area it costs $750 to paint the bumper in Ruby Red.

By the way, I did buy the Steeda fascia and will have it installed in a couple of weeks.
Yes, I double checked at a second dealer and his price was even a little less....$140, and he had the part in stock!
I actually expected the bumper cover to be priced near $1,000.......nice surprise, really --- but that also means that the entire $1,000 deductible is going to be out of pocket.....
Old 04-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yep not worth doing a insurance claim. If you go to body shop and tell them you are paying cash they usually give you a lot better price than what they charge for a insurance claim.
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone007 View Post
Yep not worth doing a insurance claim. If you go to body shop and tell them you are paying cash they usually give you a lot better price than what they charge for a insurance claim.
I did that this morning......$560 to R and R the current bumper, as they said they can fix it with a little heat, and then repaint it.........still thinking about it.
The estimator said to take it home and work it from the outside with heat, or on a 100 degree day, continue to work out the depression. I am going to see how it goes over the next couple of months, get into the hot weather and then determine what it looks like then......still feel kinda .......but I also realize it coulda been hella worse too.....
Old 04-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yep my buddy's wife hit a deer with their Focus ST and it was a 4k repair bill! Thankfully no one was hurt except the deer.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone007 View Post
Yep my buddy's wife hit a deer with their Focus ST and it was a 4k repair bill! Thankfully no one was hurt except the deer.
That, and we had the top down --- if the deer had had time to jump, and gone up and over the hood, and hit the windshield -- THAT would have been ugly even at 30 or 35 mph......I need to calm down (already halfway there!), and count my blessings.....thanks for all the caring replies, guys -- it is much appreciated.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Testing out that new road kill law in Washington?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yes that is a good thing having a wounded dear land in your lap would not turn out well. We have Buffalo running around here at Camp Pendleton and every once in a while you will see a loner out along the road. That will be a sad day when someone hits one of those! We have had a few deer hit here also, but nothing like back East!
Old 04-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
We have deer bad up in North Georgia. Lady at work hit one in her subaru and the week after getting it back from the body shop she hit another one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
RED SNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Damn deer!! Heat gun works and it's pretty hard to mess up. A kid ran his bike hard into my daughters Mazda while it was parked. Somehow no paint damage but two good dents in the plastic bumper, one fist sized. I was heating it from outside and massaging it from the inside and unless you look real close you would never see it! If you're willing to pull the cover off, I'm guessing you could massage it out.
Best of luck with it!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Sorry to read this Guard. In PA, everybody I know has hit a deer except me so I know my time is coming.

Our local body shop told me about taking out dents with the heat gun. Try a hair dryer and see if you can work out the dent. I bet you can!
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Ebay has bumper covers. New take offs for a few hundred, if you don't get the grilles with it.

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Old 04-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
Ebay has bumper covers. New take offs for a few hundred, if you don't get the grilles with it.
Yeah --- I've seen those as well. Two concerns for me would likely keep me from going that route though:

1. Guard Metallic is a pretty rare color -- yet to see a pre painted one on eBay that color.

2. Between the miles on the car before it was taken off -- the removal process, storing it, packaging it for shipment, shipping it, unwrapping it.........way too many opportunities for some kind of imperfection to be on it that would require to me to repaint it anyway.

If one were close to me, and I could inspect it before purchase, I still might consider going that route.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Yeah --- I've seen those as well. Two concerns for me would likely keep me from going that route though:

1. Guard Metallic is a pretty rare color -- yet to see a pre painted one on eBay that color.

2. Between the miles on the car before it was taken off -- the removal process, storing it, packaging it for shipment, shipping it, unwrapping it.........way too many opportunities for some kind of imperfection to be on it that would require to me to repaint it anyway.

If one were close to me, and I could inspect it before purchase, I still might consider going that route.
You make valid points. Just make sure you get a good body shop. Bet Guard is tough to match.

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT