Any issues with power shifting the 2015 5.0 transmission? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 AM   #1

Region: California
Any issues with power shifting the 2015 5.0 transmission?

I am not talking about constant abuse, but maybe a few runs at the track and occasionally on the street. Used to be able to power shift my 68 Barracuda and loved it! I had a friend that could power shift while sidestepping the clutch in a stock application muscle car and it was a thing of beauty
ExhaustFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustFreak View Post
I am not talking about constant abuse, but maybe a few runs at the track and occasionally on the street. Used to be able to power shift my 68 Barracuda and loved it! I had a friend that could power shift while sidestepping the clutch in a stock application muscle car and it was a thing of beauty
I hear the transmission for the A6 in the Mustang is made in China -- I presume the new ones may be as well (?).
As far as power shifting --- the new Mustangs have a rev limiter on them that will not allow you to go over the redline. I would say that if you are within a couple hundred rpm of the redline, you could safely keep your throttle foot planted when you shift. As far as doing the same when you shift at 4,500 rpm......I would not even think about it.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The manuals are made in China (MT82). The autos (6R80) are made right here in the USA.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
is it good for it=no

will it ruin it=how long is a piece of string?

I wouldn't/don't fully powershift mine but occasionally will get on it.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

There's just so many small fun factor things a manual trans gives you over an automatic. An occasional power shift being one of them. I will have to drive both.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Power shifting

Quote:
I learned to power shift back in the 60s with my 4 4 2, 4spd. Muncie and Hurst Competition Plus shifter. It took a while for me to work up the courage to keep the pedal floored and pop the clutch around 5K. I was running 3.90 gears. I would gradually pull away from guys driving goats and 396s running 4.11s.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #7

It was a thing of beauty, if ya didn't miss. We didn't have rev limiters back then...
Old 06-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
It was a thing of beauty, if ya didn't miss. We didn't have rev limiters back then...
Indeed it was a thing of beauty...........but on the "dark" side......one missed shift, float your valves = $$'s.
Think I'd rather have the rev limiter.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Indeed it was a thing of beauty...........but on the "dark" side......one missed shift, float your valves = $$'s.
Think I'd rather have the rev limiter.
As I look back (mid 60s), it was a stupid thing to do, but we were young.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #10

Plus one for the rev limiter. I still love to hear and see someone that can shift a manual well. Only way you can hope to be competitive with an auto is to power shift. You young guys watch Ronnie Sox run his 4 speed Barracuda down the quarter mile for some awesome 4 speed runs!
Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Plus one for the rev limiter. I still love to hear and see someone that can shift a manual well. Only way you can hope to be competitive with an auto is to power shift. You young guys watch Ronnie Sox run his 4 speed Barracuda down the quarter mile for some awesome 4 speed runs!
I had an M3 with the 7 spd, double clutch tranny (2011), and the shifting on that thing was instantaneous, no way a manual can match it. My 2015 GT is 6 spd manual, mainly for the fun, no dragging or I would have had the auto.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #12

Region: New Jersey
And parts were inexpensive!
Peagasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
If it helps, I only about 1/4 clutch mine and keep on the throttle just a hair to keep the rpm where they were at when i threw the clutch in... I do this fairly regularly probably about one day a week for about 10 shifts on my way home from work...

but NEVER do it when the oil in the transmission hasn't warmed up... and i don't just mean your engine getting up to temp is sufficient. I mean you have been driving a while and the friction of the gears/heat from exhaust has been building for a while. mine is SUPER notchy at 5am at 40-50°

Also, i learned to drive standard on a 1978 Ford Bronco with the T18 Granny-low trans, got a good education about how to drive something that don't wanna be driven haha
TigerStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Tigerstang,
If drivers had an oil temp gauge for the engine, the trans oil, and the differential, they would be very surprised at how long it takes to bring them up to nearly full operating temperature. It is probably the far side of 20 miles, at least.
I shudder when people say something to the effect of ..."I don't beat on my car until the temp gauge shows me the engine is warm."
There's LOTS of other rotating bits that aren't there yet when your engine coolant is warm.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Tigerstang,
If drivers had an oil temp gauge for the engine, the trans oil, and the differential, they would be very surprised at how long it takes to bring them up to nearly full operating temperature. It is probably the far side of 20 miles, at least.
I shudder when people say something to the effect of ..."I don't beat on my car until the temp gauge shows me the engine is warm."
There's LOTS of other rotating bits that aren't there yet when your engine coolant is warm.
The Camaro has a transmission temp Guage even in the standard. Kinda sad with all the million other things we can track low air fuel ratio, but no transmission temp.
But yeah, it's pretty scary the people that just jump in fire it up and run it hard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #16

I learned on old stuff as well. 1953 Dodge 3/4 ton USAF weapons carrier, and a 1960 Ford Falcon, three on the tree. The weapons carrier had the good old granny low. What do you do as far as trans temp when your waiting at the drags for your lane (group) number to be called and it could be an hour or more(if busy). How would you keep the temp up? I have been to a number of run what ya brung drag events over the years with mainly older muscle style cars. I don't remember any of us worrying about trans temp, just having the engine temp at a decent area. Really didn't want the vehicle hot either. Maybe just another era and technological time
Old 06-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha that's awesome! Three on the tree lol

Well, as far as keeping it warm enough to not cause damage to the synchros, just let it idle every so often for about 10 minutes. Shifter in neutral, clutch OUT. This keeps the gears floating through the fluid and spinning at engine rpm. Also, the H pipe keeps the fluid warm. That's why I'm suggesting about 10 minutes unless it's real hot.

Lastly, don't worry about your new car running too hot, it's still going to run its best. Back in the day we had flex fans, big blocks, cast iron everything, not really much of a concern with a full aluminum block, multi speed electric fans, and a decent compression ratio with enough calculations being made constantly to ensure no damage to the engine.

If anyone else disagrees, please state why, ty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT