Road Rash Opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Road Rash Opinions

Guys/gals - got behind a semi the other day (unavoidable) which decided to pepper my hood, leaving small chips. Did a compound, sealant, wax application to remove scratches, but chips are obviously still there. Has anyone had experience with the Ford touch up paint, or should I get a quote from a pro? Thanks in advance!

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
VTHokiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Man, I would have tried to get his license number and have his company pay for a repaint........lacking that, try the touch up paint yourself. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, then take it to a body shop and get the section(s) repainted.
A lot of how well the touch up paint is going to work depends on the color of your car, and your patience. Don't fill the entire chip all at once, and keep the touch up paint fresh so that it does not get tacky while applying it. I put a small spot of the touch up paint on the back of an old license plate I have, and use the metal tip inside the lid to tap the paint and then apply very little at a time to the surface of the chip.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The bumper is plastic, any paint defects will not result in degradation of the plastic. They could undermine the surrounding paint though. I would use touch up paint to seal them. As for the hood it is aluminum. If you've ever seen aluminum that is unprotected and subjected to road chemicals for a long time you wouldn't like it. So again immediate application of touch up paint to seal it is recommended. Then explore the options of repainting and added protection. Unfortunately 99.9% of us are going to experience issues like this and we all need to understand that if we
actually drive these cars they are not going to have flawless finishes.

Last month at a Mustang get together here in St Petersburg two new GT350s were in attendance. One drove 80+ miles to get there. I looked carefully at both and I can tell you both had minor nicks from road crap on their front ends. However that did nothing to diminish the smiles on the faces of the two owners.

This is how I roll on the interstate...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bra1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	201861  
2016 GT Vert, SB, AT, 3:55s Weathertech, JLT, Steeda, Colgan, Velossa Tech, Coyote Spacers, Diode Dynamics, Shelby GT350 SW, Curt, Goodridge, aFe, MRT, BMR, Kooks, Mishimoto
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
The bumper is plastic, any paint defects will not result in degradation of the plastic. They could undermine the surrounding paint though. I would use touch up paint to seal them. As for the hood it is aluminum. If you've ever seen aluminum that is unprotected and subjected to road chemicals for a long time you wouldn't like it. So again immediate application of touch up paint to seal it is recommended. Then explore the options of repainting and added protection. Unfortunately 99.9% of us are going to experience issues like this and we all need to understand that if we
actually drive these cars they are not going to have flawless finishes.

Last month at a Mustang get together here in St Petersburg two new GT350s were in attendance. One drove 80+ miles to get there. I looked carefully at both and I can tell you both had minor nicks from road crap on their front ends. However that did nothing to diminish the smiles on the faces of the two owners.

This is how I roll on the interstate...
What is the cup size for the bra on that car?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys - I just ordered a touch up pen/brush from Ford. I'll post my experience once I get it done.

Adam

Old 06-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
What is the cup size for the bra on that car?

ZZZ
2016 GT Vert, SB, AT, 3:55s Weathertech, JLT, Steeda, Colgan, Velossa Tech, Coyote Spacers, Diode Dynamics, Shelby GT350 SW, Curt, Goodridge, aFe, MRT, BMR, Kooks, Mishimoto
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
ZZZ
I laughed, and that's all that mattered.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If it's peppered, I'd recommend Dr Colorchip. Much easier to apply over multiple imperfections. If it's just a handful, whatever you go with should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

And today I get rear-ended by an unlicensed, uninsured motorist who fled the scene. What a week.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiez View Post
And today I get rear-ended by an unlicensed, uninsured motorist who fled the scene. What a week.

Please tell me you have uninsured motorist coverage. Hopefully you have the moron's tag number also.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Please tell me you have uninsured motorist coverage. Hopefully you have the moron's tag number also.

Yes and yes! About $1200 worth of damage, but uninsured deductible is only $200. What a pain!

Old 06-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Man, I would have tried to get his license number and have his company pay for a repaint........lacking that, try the touch up paint yourself. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, then take it to a body shop and get the section(s) repainted.
A lot of how well the touch up paint is going to work depends on the color of your car, and your patience. Don't fill the entire chip all at once, and keep the touch up paint fresh so that it does not get tacky while applying it. I put a small spot of the touch up paint on the back of an old license plate I have, and use the metal tip inside the lid to tap the paint and then apply very little at a time to the surface of the chip.
----------------------------------------------------------
Wouldn't have done any good getting the plate number. The driver of the truck or company are not responsible for gravel on the roadway. Only way would have been they were hauling gravel and it didn't have a cover over the top.

Good Luck on getting the chips out. Hopefully you won't have to have the section repainted.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I believe the truck company would be responsible if lacking required mud flaps.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Update on the hot and run situation: because I got the tag and the car was uninsured, my insurance company is waiving my deductible and filing suit against the registered owner for damages. Love it! Not going to cost me a penny.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Sweet, take that money and get a clear bra install, it's worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT