2016 GT catback exhaust (Gibson & Borla) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
2016 GT catback exhaust (Gibson & Borla)

So I ordered my Mustang in April, and started collecting all the parts that I wanted to swap out. I chose the Gibson three inch cat-back, and I have to admit, after driving my car home from the dealer, I was a little worried; it sounded great in its stock form.
Two weeks ago I installed the exhaust, and I felt like the cold start was a little loud, but it quiets down when warmed up. The Gibson sounds great throughout the rpm range. You will get a little bit of raspiness on the high end, but it's not too bad. I took my wife for a drive on PCH last weekend, and she loved the sound, didn't mind the volume, but hated the drone between 60-70 mph in 6th.
Since we take a lot of road trips, I knew I needed to fix this. I went to a local exhaust shop, and the guy told me he would suggest making a 2 1/2 inch X-pipe with Magnaflow resonators. He claimed that the drone is associated with the three inch pipes.
Since I don't want a pieced together system, I decided to swap to the Borla S-type. The Borla is a lot quieter, and doesn't sound as good as the Gibson in my opinion; it's more raspy, and earlier in the rpm range. The Borla also lacks the deep bass sound of the Gibson, and produces no drone thus far.
Whether it's the 2 1/2 inch piping, or built in resonators, the Borla has no drone, and better manners. When getting on it, it gets loud, louder than the Gibson on the high end of the rpm range. Lastly, the build quality and packaging of the Borla is much better than the Gibson.
In short, the Gibson sounds better and had less rasp. The build quality is fine, but it's not as good as the Borla. The Borla is quieter when driving easy, but louder at the top end. The drone of the Gibson wasn't too bad to me, but if you are sensitive to drone, you won't like it. No drone with the Borla, and quieter cold start if you are concerned about the neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
You truly get what you pay for.

I did a lot of research on exhausts, piping, etc before I went with my setup. I chose the Borla S Type mufflers and paired it with an H Pipe. It sounds nice and deep and rumbles like a true muscle car. No raspiness or drone.

By default, the Borla CATBACK kit gives you an X Pipe, which can make it sound a tad off to me. So this is why I chose the H Pipe.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
You truly get what you pay for.

I did a lot of research on exhausts, piping, etc before I went with my setup. I chose the Borla S Type mufflers and paired it with an H Pipe. It sounds nice and deep and rumbles like a true muscle car. No raspiness or drone.

By default, the Borla CATBACK kit gives you an X Pipe, which can make it sound a tad off to me. So this is why I chose the H Pipe.

It makes the exhaust sound more exotic. I love the sound of the Borla.

Doyal_McNeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

2016 GT catback exhaust (Gibson & Borla)

The Borla is exotic, and it is really growing on me. I chose to get the cat-back system because the performance gains are better than that of an H-pipe.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Man that Gibson sounds clean though. I almost got the Gibson but changed my mind because someone said it droned. On 5.4 motors the roush exhaust drones and it drove me crazy.

Doyal_McNeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The Gibson is my favorite sounding exhaust from the outside, but the drone was too much.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
On one of my last cars, I saw an extensive "scientific" round up of mufflers with measurements taken at the same distance, sound clips, etc. And the reason I went with the Borla on that car was b/c it had the biggest delta (change) from idle to wide open/high rpm. ie: it was one of the quietest ones at idle, and one of the loudest ones at wide open!

Granted that is for a different car, but I think b/c Borla is so big, does so much OEM work, etc. they really do a better job.

But the point is... the above basically repeats your experience:
  • No drone.
  • Relatively quiet at idle for an aftermarket, but still better sounding than stock.
  • And great sounding at wide open.

Where a lot of cheap exhaust or bypasses, are just super loud all of the time.

That's why I'll probably be getting the Ford Racing by Borla, shortly after I get my new 2017 GT.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Right on brother.

Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust