Anyone else try NT555 G2 tires? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #36
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerStang View Post
Good to know. Everything I saw online was "the Nittos are so loud" I personally don't care about noise and comfort in a tire.
My problem is, the NT05 doesn't come in 275/40R19. The dealership is looking into if it's gonna mess anything up if I go to 305/35.
I know mechanically, nothing will be severely affected, BUT the S550 GT Performance package comes with specially tuned EPAS, stability control and traction control. If changing what the electronics are supposed to read messes with the system, it's a good possibility you could actually LOSE handling performance.

There are only 3 tires out there as far as I'm concerned worth a damn in my size.
The pirelli zero
Michelin super sports
Nitto's NT555 G2.

I'll probably be replacing the 555 G2 before they wear out and I'll just sell them and buy the Michelin and try them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I went with 295-35-19 mpss on a 2015 with no issues. You just need to make sure the height difference between front and back is close to stock. From the factory there is a 0.7 difference in height. Just stay around that. 295-35 out back and 275-35 up front works well and I had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Doyal_McNeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Well the pilots come in 275/40 so I'm personally just gonna stick with factory sizing. Drove the car pretty hard today (thanks strange mud) and the tires got better throughout the day, but at 80mph they're simply too soft on the sidewall. I'm gonna try putting more air in the rear tires to see how that goes. Nonetheless, I'll never buy the NT555 tires again. If for some reason I don't like the pilots either, I'll go back to the pirelli zeros

TigerStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Doyal,

I got the opportunity to return my nittos and buy michelin pilot super sports. I ordered the factory size for the sake of the electronics and hassle in warranty.
Everywhere i read though, it says the MPSS ALSO have a soft sidewall?? is this true, and does it affect a 3800lb RWD muscle machine like these nittos did orrrr do those special bands of poly whatever really hold the tire together well at higher speeds?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I'm considering Nitto when I order new tires.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm considering Nitto when I order new tires.

maybe you will have a different experience than me. i'm not saying all nittos are junk or something, i just don't like how they feel at 85mph...

otherwise, they grip better in a straight line than the pirellis did, but the pirellis were definitely more predictable and more stable in a corner.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #41
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Doyal,

I got the opportunity to return my nittos and buy michelin pilot super sports. I ordered the factory size for the sake of the electronics and hassle in warranty.
Everywhere i read though, it says the MPSS ALSO have a soft sidewall?? is this true, and does it affect a 3800lb RWD muscle machine like these nittos did orrrr do those special bands of poly whatever really hold the tire together well at higher speeds?

thanks in advance

The mpss's are not as soft. They have a really good steering feel. Yours will feel slightly softer due to the 40 series profile though. I had 35 series which sharpened the steering a bit, but you'll notice a night and day difference over the nitto.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
So would you recommend spending the money on the Michelin super sports?

YES. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are what Shelby puts on the Super Snake. They corner like they are glued to the track. If you want even more, go for the Michelin Sport Cup 2. Yet, those will be a bit sketchy in the rain.

Sidewall height will affect your cornering feel. Lower sidewall equals stiffer cornering, but makes for a stiffer ride overall. If you are on stock springs get a lower sidewall and larger diameter rims to keep overall tire height the same and the ride quality will still be ok. If you have progressive stiffer springs and it's a daily driver, you may not like the stiffness of lower sidewall tires. I'd never consider driving the Super Snake daily... Way too stiff. But holy crap can it pull G's at very high speed in corners.
"All the options baby!"
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Added grip means more torque on your half shafts, differential, etc
I was concerned about this when building the SS clone. I just made 28 1/4 mile runs on 12" wide Mickey Thompson drag radials without anything breaking. And I beat the bag out of the car....all stock except for the DR's. I was launching at 6000rpm with fully heated up tires for a half dozen of those runs. Now, I do not know how long the drive and half shafts will put up with it, but they didn't break after 28 runs.

Oh ya....I had horrible wheel hop whenever it broke traction. It's that wheel hop that probably breaks stuff. The wheel hop is bad news...feels horrible with drag tires. I immediately let off whenever it started hopping.
"All the options baby!"
Old 07-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've had 2 days on my nitto nt555g2's and I love them. They are a staggered setup on 19" wheels. I had 18"s with the Pirellis before the switch. My traction is worlds better now. I have not had them in the wet yet but so far I have nothing but good things to say about them. Also on balancing they barely took any weight which was a nice surprise from the last tires.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Well let's put this into perspective for a tire that sees street duty they have a ton of grip and great wet weather traction but from what I gather the op seems to be using them for other purposes like road racing taking corners at 85 not typical street use and sure some are going to bash on them for being Nittos but at the end of the day they work great for me and I'm very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Medwards, thanks for the detailed response! If it's good enough for the SS, it's good enough for my car lol

Jeno, I mostly drive on the street but I have done about 3 years of autocross and I have a tendency to drive like that on the street when it's safe. I am kind of a tire snob because of how hard I drive my car. She loves a beating and I love to deal it. I enjoyed the zeros because the sidewall was so stiff, it makes the car very predictable... the Michelin tires are showing up on Monday so I can swap them asap.

Thanks everyone for all the great responses.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
I've had 2 days on my nitto nt555g2's and I love them. They are a staggered setup on 19" wheels. I had 18"s with the Pirellis before the switch. My traction is worlds better now. I have not had them in the wet yet but so far I have nothing but good things to say about them. Also on balancing they barely took any weight which was a nice surprise from the last tires
Going from 18" to 19" rims is the way to do it. You get shorter sidewalls but keep the overall tire height the same. That gives better handling as you have less sidewall roll in corners (and if you picked out the tires correctly you don't have to recalibrate your speedo)

Nothing wrong with Nitto or they wouldn't sell so many tires. But, Michelin Pilot SS and Super Cup 2 's are superior. With that said, if your car will never see a road course, save your money and buy Nitto. That will leave money in your pocket for other goodies . And that is always a good thing.
"All the options baby!"
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #48
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
Going from 18" to 19" rims is the way to do it. You get shorter sidewalls but keep the overall tire height the same. That gives better handling as you have less sidewall roll in corners (and if you picked out the tires correctly you don't have to recalibrate your speedo)

Nothing wrong with Nitto or they wouldn't sell so many tires. But, Michelin Pilot SS and Super Cup 2 's are superior. With that said, if your car will never see a road course, save your money and buy Nitto. That will leave money in your pocket for other goodies . And that is always a good thing.

I have to disagree with you. There is a considerable difference on many levels between nitto and Michelin outside of a road course.

If you need to buy cheap tires get nittos. Otherwise get the mpss.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

The 19's made my height increase about half an inch. So the speedo is a hair slower than the actual speed but I'm not bothered by it.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

You know what were talking same tire but not same car different suspensions and such i have an 03 while you guys have 2015 stangs way different cars and im just gonna say it my car is very predictable and yes i drive her hard corners and such but like i said way different cars so the nittos might react different on my car vs yours

xxr staggered 17's, ford racing c springs, tokico blue struts, koni orange shocks, shorty billit antenna, billit gas cap, UPR CAI, UPR O/R Xpipe, Magna flow exhaust, Mach1 grill delete w/ chin spoiler, honeycomb blackout, Bama tuned 93 OCT. V2
jeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I have about 5,000 miles on my Nitto 555G2's and they have been great. No issues at all on the road. I drive 110 miles each Monday to work and then back on Fridays so lot of expressway time on those days. The rest of the time usually on city streets.

At the dragstrip not enough grip compared to my drag radials - but with the handling I figure that they are more of a road course street tire than a drag tire.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:30 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
You know what were talking same tire but not same car different suspensions and such i have an 03 while you guys have 2015 stangs way different cars and im just gonna say it my car is very predictable and yes i drive her hard corners and such but like i said way different cars so the nittos might react different on my car vs yours

xxr staggered 17's, ford racing c springs, tokico blue struts, koni orange shocks, shorty billit antenna, billit gas cap, UPR CAI, UPR O/R Xpipe, Magna flow exhaust, Mach1 grill delete w/ chin spoiler, honeycomb blackout, Bama tuned 93 OCT. V2
Yeah dude on my 98 GT whatever tire fit that was sticky enough was good enough in my book.

The guy I drive to work every day, noticed the difference and he doesn't feel safe in the car either. My 99 F150 is more stable at 80mph than my brand new GT.

Even my girl could feel how loose the car was on the highway, and she is the furthest thing from a car enthusiast.
I'm not saying all 555 tires are bad or even Nittos for that matter. Maybe I just got 2 defective tires, I dunno. Point being, my experience with them is I will never buy another set of the 555 G2

Old 07-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #53
Road Trip!
Regular

Did you get the mpss in?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

They're in the trunk now, going after work to get them mounted... sidewall felt kinda soft not mounted, but the tread area felt great, especially the crown leading up to the tread.

So we will see, also, please note that the Nittos have about 450 miles on them and they are MUCH better than they were. But they're still slightly floaty over bumps in corners. Not very confidence inspiring. Either way, not an awful tire, hopefully I'll like the feel of the new ones. I'll post back soon

Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #55
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
They're in the trunk now, going after work to get them mounted... sidewall felt kinda soft not mounted, but the tread area felt great, especially the crown leading up to the tread.

So we will see, also, please note that the Nittos have about 450 miles on them and they are MUCH better than they were. But they're still slightly floaty over bumps in corners. Not very confidence inspiring. Either way, not an awful tire, hopefully I'll like the feel of the new ones. I'll post back soon

How did you get the shop to take the tires back? That was super nice of them.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

It was actually amazon prime... when I check out, even if it's $20 more, I buy specifically from Amazon prime.
I called them, explained the situation, and they said they would take them back, just have to ship them back (at no cost to me) so now my biggest concern is that the guy doesn't shred the tire taking it off

Old 07-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #57
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
It was actually amazon prime... when I check out, even if it's $20 more, I buy specifically from Amazon prime.
I called them, explained the situation, and they said they would take them back, just have to ship them back (at no cost to me) so now my biggest concern is that the guy doesn't shred the tire taking it off

That's amazing! I can't believe they are eating 1k in tires. I wonder what they'll do with them now. Probably chop them up and put them in astro turf lol.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Rofl maybe but my guess is, you know how you can buy "used" stuff on amazon? I'm sure they are just going to sell them over again and not eat the cost. But I buy about 2 or 3 things a week through them so I'm sure they don't want to lose me as a customer lol

Old 07-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

SO

Update:
OMG these tires are truly amazing. The tech did a great job removing the old tires and putting new ones back on without destroying the old ones. but WOW what a difference from the nittos! If i had another $600 to blow, i would buy a pair for the fronts right now too, but those can wait until they wear out. I hope Michelin continues to make this tire in this size forever cuz i very well will never buy another tire again as long as they continue to make them in USA. The peace of mind that comes with these $300 a piece tires is something you really just can't put a price on. Yet another happy customer of Michelin Pilot Super Sports... Thanks all that have guided me in this direction as IMO, these tires are worth paying double what i paid for the Nittos...

And if the tread actually lasts longer than 12,000 miles like most street tires make it to for me, i'll be even more ecstatic about how wonderful these things are. The noise/comfort thing i don't honestly really notice much of a difference to make me want to buy a different tire, but they certainly are more quiet than the nittos and the pirellis. *shrugs* i'm happy to have a tire that's just so confidence inspiring... 100mph felt like 20mph on the way home, this is just outrageous!

Thanks again yall
Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #60
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
SO

Update:
OMG these tires are truly amazing. The tech did a great job removing the old tires and putting new ones back on without destroying the old ones. but WOW what a difference from the nittos! If i had another $600 to blow, i would buy a pair for the fronts right now too, but those can wait until they wear out. I hope Michelin continues to make this tire in this size forever cuz i very well will never buy another tire again as long as they continue to make them in USA. The peace of mind that comes with these $300 a piece tires is something you really just can't put a price on. Yet another happy customer of Michelin Pilot Super Sports... Thanks all that have guided me in this direction as IMO, these tires are worth paying double what i paid for the Nittos...

And if the tread actually lasts longer than 12,000 miles like most street tires make it to for me, i'll be even more ecstatic about how wonderful these things are. The noise/comfort thing i don't honestly really notice much of a difference to make me want to buy a different tire, but they certainly are more quiet than the nittos and the pirellis. *shrugs* i'm happy to have a tire that's just so confidence inspiring... 100mph felt like 20mph on the way home, this is just outrageous!

Thanks again yall

Glad to hear man. You need the front too. It's night and day when they're on all fours.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #61
Road Trip!
Regular

What did you think of the side wall flex? Not as much right?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyal_McNeff View Post
What did you think of the side wall flex? Not as much right?

yeah man, the sidewalls are pretty solid despite what they felt like by hand... i hit a bump at 90mph in a corner and the suspension just reacted, the tire was re-attached to the pavement instantly and there was very little to NO flex in the sidewall... which, i REALLY wish more people would have posted about in their reviews. These things are truly wonderful and well worth every dime. Hopefully soon enough i'll have the money to swap the fronts out too. Thanks again man
Old 07-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
When ordering directional tires from Amazon, how are you ensuring that you have a left and right tire?

I am asking because the Potenza tires currently on my car have a different inner and outter sidewall, as well as tread. There is a left and right side.

Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #64
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
yeah man, the sidewalls are pretty solid despite what they felt like by hand... i hit a bump at 90mph in a corner and the suspension just reacted, the tire was re-attached to the pavement instantly and there was very little to NO flex in the sidewall... which, i REALLY wish more people would have posted about in their reviews. These things are truly wonderful and well worth every dime. Hopefully soon enough i'll have the money to swap the fronts out too. Thanks again man

No prob man. Glad I could help! My rears lasted 20k miles btw.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:52 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have the nitto invos and will never buy another tire. They're absolutely fantastic. Had two sets on my 2011 mustang and just got some for my 2015 about 500 miles ago. Really quiet with much more traction and stability than my stock tires, hankooks, and Goodyear eagle f1. They also handle water pretty well for a sport tire. That's a big check for those living in Washington.

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I bought my RE 760's from Firestone for $176.00 a tire and like them a lot so far. Do you have the 275/40/18's?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorhart3 View Post
I have the nitto invos and will never buy another tire. They're absolutely fantastic. Had two sets on my 2011 mustang and just got some for my 2015 about 500 miles ago. Really quiet with much more traction and stability than my stock tires, hankooks, and Goodyear eagle f1. They also handle water pretty well for a sport tire. That's a big check for those living in Washington.

Yeah nitto doesn't make those in 275/40R19... and if you read back, I'm having trouble getting the dealership to accept me changing the tires for warranty purposes

Old 07-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

You could always have 2 wheel setups and just switch before going to the dealer.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
When ordering directional tires from Amazon, how are you ensuring that you have a left and right tire?

I am asking because the Potenza tires currently on my car have a different inner and outter sidewall, as well as tread. There is a left and right side.

I didn't see anything specific about the sidewalls, so the dealer just mounted them accordingly

Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #70
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Yeah nitto doesn't make those in 275/40R19... and if you read back, I'm having trouble getting the dealership to accept me changing the tires for warranty purposes

Your dealer can't do anything. If you swap for a drag radial they could. Any summer tire will be fine. I've never had issues with dealers about tires unless it's drag radials. Stop letting them scare you. The Michelin mpss comes on the gt350. It's not gonna hurt anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT