New Tires after 20 000 miles ? Are stock tires really that bad? 2015 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
New Tires after 20 000 miles ? Are stock tires really that bad? 2015 GT

Went to get oil change today and one of my tires was leaking air so i wanted them to stop the leak.

The guy calls me back and says yes there is a nail in the tire and they can stop the leak ($28) but then he tells me my back tires are really bad and need to be replaced and one of the front ones is really bad as from the inside. Now i havent really inspected them that hard prior to taking the car over there didnt think i need to since there is only 20k miles on the tires.

I know stock tires on 2015 mustang GT are bad but are they really that bad that they cant last more then 20k miles. I got a performance GT so i cant rotate tires as front and back have different sizes so could that be the reason they went bad so fast.

Also i do wanna mention that i dont do burnouts or anything so cant be because of that.

I really hope they didnt just put on some crappy tires just so i can buy new tires from them. I did oil change 4000 miles ago and that dealer didnt mention anything that i needed new tires.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had to replace mine at 20k, sounds about right if they are the softer performance tire. My front end got a bit out of alignment and both front tires were worn bad on the inside and the rears were done to the wear bar.
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone007 View Post
I had to replace mine at 20k, sounds about right if they are the softer performance tire. My front end got a bit out of alignment and both front tires were worn bad on the inside and the rears were done to the wear bar.
Thanks for the quick reply!

They were summer tires i know that for sure. I believe ferelis ....

I was looking into getting these Michelins

Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 Tire Reviews (35 Reviews)

Total cost would be about $1080 with installation. Any others you guys would want to recommend

ire size, front 255/40ZR19 96Y
Tire size, rear 275/40ZR19 101Y

I am looking for all season
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
Went to get oil change today and one of my tires was leaking air so i wanted them to stop the leak.

The guy calls me back and says yes there is a nail in the tire and they can stop the leak ($28) but then he tells me my back tires are really bad and need to be replaced and one of the front ones is really bad as from the inside. Now i havent really inspected them that hard prior to taking the car over there didnt think i need to since there is only 20k miles on the tires.

I know stock tires on 2015 mustang GT are bad but are they really that bad that they cant last more then 20k miles. I got a performance GT so i cant rotate tires as front and back have different sizes so could that be the reason they went bad so fast.

Also i do wanna mention that i dont do burnouts or anything so cant be because of that.

I really hope they didnt just put on some crappy tires just so i can buy new tires from them. I did oil change 4000 miles ago and that dealer didnt mention anything that i needed new tires.
wow! you got 20k out of yours?? i got about 12k out of my rear tires and i don't do burnouts either, but i sure do corner hard and chirp the first 3 gears fairly often...

secondly, the reason your tires "went bad so fast" is because they are UTQG 220 tires, a REALLY soft compound meant to stick very well (which imo, they do just that in corners really well) but the downfall is a short life span on tires, even if i had tires that would make it to 20k, chances are, i would feel a loss in performance and would replace them at another 12 to 15k miles anyway.

one can complain about tires "going bad" quickly all you want, but if you go get a hard tire that lasts a long time and you find yourself with your engine in your lap and a tree under your hood, don't say i didn't warn you
TigerStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
/\ What he said.

Performance tires are soft and grippy, but wear out fast.

Look for the wear ratings on tirerack.com its a good place to get all of the facts on tires/brands, etc.

One of the few performance tires that actually is very sticky AND has a good wear rating is the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I had them on my last car & was very impressed with them, but they are kind of pricey in general.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just swapped out my BFG G Force comp 2's after 16k - I loved them on the track. I should have stayed with them but found a deal on some Pirelli P Zero's. They may be better in the rain - not really a problem in SoCal - but I was not impressed at the track. Live n learn.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
The All-Season Pirelli's on my V6 were shot after 25,000, so I'm kind of amazed the set of summer ones on your GT made it to 20,000! Good tire but man they wear out quick.

I switched to Continental DWS06's and have no complaints so far. The break-in period felt a little weird at first, but after about 500 miles they started feeling great. My only advice is do not go cheap on tires, you will be thankful for a nice set when you get into a situation where you need them!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Speaking from my experience, do NOT use price as a guide for your vehicle tires. No matter how great your car is, if your tires are not as great you will regret going cheap every drive.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

They were summer tires i know that for sure. I believe ferelis ....

I was looking into getting these Michelins

Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 Tire Reviews (35 Reviews)

Total cost would be about $1080 with installation. Any others you guys would want to recommend

ire size, front 255/40ZR19 96Y
Tire size, rear 275/40ZR19 101Y

I am looking for all season
Normally I wouldn't think of comparing an all season tire to summer only but this particular Michelin is fantastic. It can work well on track days and snow but probably not as well for 1/4 mile times. Very popular on Audi all-wheel drive performance cars and other imports in Colorado.
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryak View Post
Normally I wouldn't think of comparing an all season tire to summer only but this particular Michelin is fantastic. It can work well on track days and snow but probably not as well for 1/4 mile times. Very popular on Audi all-wheel drive performance cars and other imports in Colorado.

+1 I have them on my gt500 and they get great traction. I think they are just as good as the mpss on the street. On the track is where you can feel the difference, but street performance is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Doyal_McNeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have the base model gt pirelli p-zero all seasons. Not staggered, so I've rotated at every service interval. Car has 25,900 miles and it's time for new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Michelin Super Sports are treating me right, great grip and tread life. 275/40/18 square set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I will be lucky to see 10k out of mine. While the backs are fine, with the stock suspension configuration the fronts get eaten up badly particularly doing autocross.
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_LV View Post
I will be lucky to see 10k out of mine. While the backs are fine, with the stock suspension configuration the fronts get eaten up badly particularly doing autocross.
Yeah dude when I did autocross, front tires always needed replacing first... hard to get that big v8 nose to turn in on the miata tracks lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
TigerStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT