10 speed automatic rumored for 2018 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
10 speed automatic rumored for 2018 Mustang?

Several sources/articles I've read lately have stated that the new 10 speed automatic that is currently offered in the F150 will spread throughout the rest of Ford's rear wheel drive cars.
They specifically mention the Mustang as the car that will be the first to offer a 10 speed automatic. I wonder what it is like to drive one?

Vvvvvv....vvvvvvv.....vvvvvvv.....vvvvvv......vvvvv......vvvvv.....vvvvvv......vvvvvv.......vvvvvvv........vvvvvvvvvvv.......

I can't imagine! How many times would you have to tap the paddle shifter to get an effective downshift rpm for slowing down?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Watch the videos about it in the F150.

Left in auto mode, it can skip several gears up or down, so it could go directly from say 9th gear down to 4th or 5th for passing on the highway.

So it can go DIRECTLY to whichever gear puts it optimally in to the powerband. Conversely, if you're letting up on the throttle and just looking to maintain speed, it can skip up to whichever gear will keep RPMs low and MPG's high.

Also the 1st gear is like a granny gear. Equivalent to having like 4.10 gears. So when you want super fast acceleration it will be there.

This will make the cars MUCH faster. like 0.2+ of second faster 0-60 with the same HP.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

With that many closely spaced gears, it will have to be capable of 3 or 4 gear downshifts with only slight pedal pressure.
I wonder how they are going to program the SPORT setting? I love how the A6 works in "S" on a twisty road.
It is going to be nice to have the first gear or two a lot lower for off the line fun! That should improve 60 foot times, if traction is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Must be getting Old!

I remember My first 4spd car. I thought that was a lot of gears
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Aren't a bunch of gears a lousy idea tho? In city driving, won't they be constantly shifting up & down, over & over?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution.
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

With a 10spd the engine will be kept at the optimum RPM for better MPG and less pollution.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
With a 10spd the engine will be kept at the optimum RPM for better MPG and less pollution.

Uh huh. in theory, Communism works, too.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution.
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Several sources/articles I've read lately have stated that the new 10 speed automatic that is currently offered in the F150 will spread throughout the rest of Ford's rear wheel drive cars.
They specifically mention the Mustang as the car that will be the first to offer a 10 speed automatic. I wonder what it is like to drive one?

Vvvvvv....vvvvvvv.....vvvvvvv.....vvvvvv......vvvvv......vvvvv.....vvvvvv......vvvvvv.......vvvvvvv........vvvvvvvvvvv.......

I can't imagine! How many times would you have to tap the paddle shifter to get an effective downshift rpm for slowing down?
It will be like playing a video game! Tap...tap... tap...tap...tap...
You really shouldn't be downshifting a transmission to slow down anyways... That's what the brakes are for!

I wonder when the 10 speed manual transmission will be introduced?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Old Log truck driver here. First truck I drove for a living had a 5spd Fuller with a 4spd progressve Brownie. Yes. that's 20 forward gears and 4 reverse. Can't wait to see the New Mustang with two gear sticks like my old Pete!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Anyone seen this - Mustang Shelby GT350 - Dual-Clutch Automatic Transmission for GT350R?

The new Ford GT supercar has the 7spd dual clutch ... so that may show up in a Mustang

Except that GM/Ford 10sp has found it's way into the 2017 ZL1 Camaro and it seems to be quite a transmission.

That thing cracks off shifts with authority.

2017 Chevrolet ZL1 10 Speed Automatic Transmission
Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Old Log truck driver here. First truck I drove for a living had a 5spd Fuller with a 4spd progressve Brownie. Yes. that's 20 forward gears and 4 reverse. Can't wait to see the New Mustang with two gear sticks like my old Pete!
Hahaha.
Could you imagine floating through the gears in a twin-stick Mustang?!?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

YEAH, **** now what gear am I in?
Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Its not a big difference from the Z06's current 8-speed offering that has been out for a while.

Then it is the same basic hardware, though different "software" (tuning), as the F150 & ZL1's 10-speed autos.

You're assuming its going to linearly shift, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 every time you drive.

IT CAN SKIP GEARS UP OR DOWN. Stop thinking linearly.

Reality is it will probably shift 1,2,3,5,8 if you're accelerating then go to maintain a speed. Then if you need to pass, it may drop back down to 4th, get up to speed, then you lift your foot off the throttle and it goes back to 8th or 9th.

MPG get killed in the real world when people are going 80mph their whole trip and the RPM's are higher than their overdrive gear is optimally designed for... (typically like 65mph). 9th & 10th gears will help keep MPG good even when speeding or on those high speed highways with legal limits of 70 mph+. Or at 160+ Kilometers per hour on the Autobahn, since Mustangs are being exported a lot more lately!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

The F150's highway mpg with the 3.5 EcoBoost went from 21 with the 6 speed to 25 with the 10 speed. However the EcoBoost engine is also significantly improved with much more HP and torque.
The increase is probably due a little to both improvements.
I still think that the 3.5 EB engine would be GREAT in the Mustang....now with the new and improved 475 lb/ft of torque = more so than ever!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Noticed on the F150 site, build & price, that you can't put a 5.0 with the 10 speed auto ??

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I'm an old guy and still like a good ratio four speed transmission. You young guys just won't understand how nice it is to hold into a gear when needed.
They can say a ten speed will be great but not for our type of driving.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I'm an old guy and still like a good ratio four speed transmission. You young guys just won't understand how nice it is to hold into a gear when needed.
They can say a ten speed will be great but not for our type of driving.
Ronnie
Anything over 6 in a gearbox is overkill in my opinion. Sure, there are some positive aspects that look good on paper. A few drivers will think more is better, and they will praise a 10 speed.

No one is really considering the technology needed to keep up with that many years for the average driver. 10 gears means more moving parts, costly repairs, and fragile parts crammed into a small space. Today's cars are a technological nightmare. Everything is controlled by a computer.

I do not feel very safe knowing my life is in the hands of soldered and epoxied wires and chips. Some new features are amusing toys that make for great options that are not necessary. Unfortunately many auto makers are touting their vehicles, that are almost self driving, as a needed thing. I say they are an accident waiting to happen to an inattentive dtiver distracted by GPS, texts, phone calls, screaming children in the back seat, radio selections, etc.

I am a racer. I have an NHRA and SCCA license. I have also been through defensive driving courses, and the courses offered by the GA police dept (I considered getting my POST cert and becoming an officer). The driving courses for the PD are a joke after road course racing, but they do teach you to know your vehicle, how it responds, and its limitations. I also know computers. Both cars and computers fail. That is a bad combination for distracted drivers.

I'm on a rant.
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #18

yes to a 10 spd auto

I can't wait for it. I drive a Jeep GC with the 8 spd ZF auto a the 3.6 6 cyl motor. This will walk all over the same motor with a 5 spd auto and gives me 27 mpg (US gallons) at 60 mpg with cruise on. It shifts seamlessly. The steep lower gears compensate for lack of torque and the tall top gears really help gas mileage. I will be buying a 2018 Mustang GT mainly for the 10 spd.
fordboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Ford and GM worked together to make the automatic 6 speed in the Ford Edge (we have a 2014) and they are working together on the 10 speed . The 10 speed automatic is coming soon. Maybe on the 2020 models
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My wife's BMW has an 8-speed auto trans. With computers controlling everything these days on cars, I have to say the shifts are seamless and soooo smooth. There's no wasted time with the transmission "hunting" for the right gear, the car just goes.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT