New EcoBoost tune "shames the V8?" Not on my watch! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
New EcoBoost tune "shames the V8?" Not on my watch!

Thank you very much, but when my tach face turns red, I'll take an under stressed 5.0 liter V8 over an overboosted 2.3 liter four cylinder --- every day of the week and three times on Sunday.........and my engine does not sound like someone who has been eating chili for a week.......

Ford's Warranty-Preserving EcoBoost Mustang Tune Is Finally Here To Shame The V8s
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Region: Texas
I'm with you on that! I'll take v8 muscle over forced induction any day of the week!
Guard.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Same here!!!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No replacement for displacement but the numbers are a pretty respectable gain especially since ford will continue the warranty with that kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If I want a bumble bee powered sports car I will invest in a Lotus.

Oh wait, the Mustang is a MUSCLE CAR, not a sports car. A 4 cyl doesn't belong in a Mustang.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorhart3 View Post
No replacement for displacement but the numbers are a pretty respectable gain especially since ford will continue the warranty with that kit.
Ford almost had to do something with the RS having the 2.3 EB with LOTS more HP -- and yes I know the engines are slightly different.....
Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
"No replacement for displacement" is somewhat of an antiquated statement.

There has always been replacements... less weight, turbo, supercharging & better (dual clutch/more gears) transmission.

But only recently have they really all come together with technology and been a good replacement. Better more reliable turbos. With aluminum fabrication technology getting better you can shave hundred of lbs off a car, IF you want to.

Perfect example is the F-150. It has gotten all 3 with great technological advanncements: 3.5L turbo engine, lightweight aluminum body, and now 10-speed automatic transmission. A 2017 F-150 ecoboost, with 10-speed will destroy larger engine trucks easily.

I've been daily driving F-150's for the past 10 years. I've gone through 4 generations: (all with towing packages & lower gears)
2006 F150 XL 4x4 with 5.4L
2009 F150 Lariat with 5.4L
2012 F150 FX2 with 3.5L ecoboost
2015 F150 XLT with 3.5L ecoboost

2006 & 2009 were gas guzzlers with out that much real power.
2012 I was so impressed with how fast and quiet the ecoboost was.
Now my 2015 is even better, lighter, faster, better gas mileage. Its a dream to drive. Its what a modern truck should be.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
with a $7000 price premium the GT should be better.

remember I've got the V6......
Old 10-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
with a $7000 price premium the GT should be better.

remember I've got the V6......
Well, that's about the same amount ($7,000) that I have invested in my home stereo system for better sound, so the 0 to 60 time on the GT is a free bonus I guess, right?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty cool that they are squeezing more and more power out of it. Until the motors start blowing up. They can keep the fart can mustang. I'll stick with the old 5 oh...just preference.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Nice for those who want it.
Me, I still love my 3,7 Cyclone V6 at 305 hp.
*********************************BUT*******************************************************

Any way you look at it:
Coyote 5.0 V8 is still the """KING"""

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Except for lots of displacement with forced induction

I'm totally onboard that the V8 should the be the muscle car the Mustang is suppose to be which is why I bought mine in a V8.
GreenMachine650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Electric cars are very good too on 0-60, maybe you want to delete your mufflers, too, while we are at this (ecoboost vs V8 ...). Muscle cars are not just about one or two specifications. They are about an attitude.

V8 sounds and feelings : I will always love you.
*previous 1990 Taurus SHO 3L Yamaha Shogun
*previous : life was boring !
UP North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Aw man, nothing like promoting foreign car makers to begin with but second those cars are *****g annoyingly awful to hear racing down the road. The funny thing is when you see a 50 year old gigolo with some bimbo in the passenger side screaming down the road load rider style bouncing up and down. Seriously I would feel a little weird even being seen in one let alone driving one. Nothing compares to American HorsePower..
SolarFlarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #15

Region: Alaska
I find it interesting when folks say that the Mustang is supposed to have a v8. Since the inception of the Mustang in 64 there has been way more 4cyl and 6cyl Mustangs made than v8s.

Also, if you factor in the differences in the way HP was measured back in the 60s and early 70s the 4cyl Ecoboost Mustang makes more HP than every v8 Mustang up to 2005 with the exception of the early 2000s Cobras. And make the same power from 05 until the Coyote arrived with the exception of the Shelby cars.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
I find it interesting when folks say that the Mustang is supposed to have a v8. Since the inception of the Mustang in 64 there has been way more 4cyl and 6cyl Mustangs made than v8s.

Also, if you factor in the differences in the way HP was measured back in the 60s and early 70s the 4cyl Ecoboost Mustang makes more HP than every v8 Mustang up to 2005 with the exception of the early 2000s Cobras. And make the same power from 05 until the Coyote arrived with the exception of the Shelby cars.
It is true that the little EcoBoost 4 cylinder makes more HP than my stock 1997 Cobra made, and at less than 1/2 the displacement, that IS amazing............but I guarantee you that the EcoBoost engine is NEVER going to make me want to have the top down and floor it in a tunnel just to listen to the music the exhaust pipes are making.
I've yet to hear an aftermarket exhaust that sounds good on the V6 3.5 EcoBoost either -- they all sound like an old Lumina 3.8 with a clapped out muffler.......but I still think that would make a GREAT engine in the GT....put the new Raptor engine in there, Ford!!!
Old 10-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Last I checked there's at least 5 Mustang V8's with higher hp ratings that the ecoboost.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

5.0 V8 baby!!!
Old 10-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Last I checked there's at least 5 Mustang V8's with higher hp ratings that the ecoboost.

Pick your poison.
If those 5 were from the 60s to 72 take about 1/3 off the rated number and you will be equivalent to the net rating of the Ecoboost. Folks used to blame it on emissions when an engine that was rated 375HP in 71 was now 250HP in 73. Emissions had some impact but it was mostly the government mandated change in the rating system and standardized testing.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Yet they were under rated.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
While the 5.0 sounds great and has great pick up, I always find it interesting that most of the people who say that they have to have the V8 never really use it. Sure you can get to the next stop light a half second sooner, but unless you are on a track or drag strip you are simply wasting the power. Other than sound, you would never really notice the difference in daily driving.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
While the 5.0 sounds great and has great pick up, I always find it interesting that most of the people who say that they have to have the V8 never really use it. Sure you can get to the next stop light a half second sooner, but unless you are on a track or drag strip you are simply wasting the power. Other than sound, you would never really notice the difference in daily driving.

Here's the thing. Speed and HP is just something you use once in a while.

Sound is 100% of the time even at idle. Even when you're sitting at the light and you feel the rumble of the V8.

That happens whether your foot is on the pedal or the brake.

So to answer your comment, we do use the V8 every second of owning and driving it.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

With Bassani's on my 3.7 I enjoyed the sound very much, I can't get use to a 4 banger hot rod, but the Cyclone is a great platform. I upgraded to the Coyote because I was upside down on a 5.37% loan and got my 2016 for 0% for 72 months. The dealer paid off my loan to get me in a new GT. V8 rumble after resonator delete is good.
2016 ruby red GT 300 A with 3.55:1 gear/SVE resonator delete X-pipe/ UPR catch can/Airaid/AEM
audioAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
There are people that will love the Turbo four as much as people love the 5.0 V8
I personally love my 3.7 V6
All are great engines in a great car called a "MUSTANG"
What is nice is we have the freedom of choice to get what we want and still have a "MUSTANG" to enjoy driving and looking at.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Yet they were under rated.

Pick your poison.
I would hear how all these engines were under rated but they never got the times in the 1/4 stock they should have if they actually made the power that the stories said they made.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #26

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

Saved me the trouble of writing it, Thanks. Us cryptkeepers know that there were many more 200 straight 6s with 3 speed autos than even 289s in the original Falcon Horse model,,,,err Mustang. One of the many reasons I have my lowly '16 V6 is that it best embodies my memory. Sometimes I squint and pretend it's a '66 with a 289, except it's too fast, and handles too well, and way too good on gas.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
As a daily driver, I DO use my 5.0. Cruising up mountains and not having the downshift drama is heavenly compared to my old Toyota with its anemic 4-banger screaming and downshifting like a wild dog. Plus at red lights, I get all that warmth goodness coming out from around the front of my car.
Airaid CAI & PowerAid
Steeda K-Brace & Steeda Jack Rails
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #28

Good question, really. I personally think that I am enjoying every second in my V8. The sound, the handling... On the other hand let me ask your question a little different

Why the heck should I go V6 on a Mustang? Its one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) American V8 muscle car available in the market - why the heck would I go V6?? I personally do not agree to call a mustang a mustang when its not at least the cheapest version of the V8.

Don't hate me for that statement - its my personal view.

Heyzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyzeus View Post
I personally do not agree to call a mustang a mustang when its not at least the cheapest version of the V8.
Considering that since the Mustang arrived on the seen in 1964 the 4 & 6 cylinder versions have far out sold the v8. To say it's not a Mustang without a v8 is quite a misguided statement.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Considering that since the Mustang arrived on the seen in 1964 the 4 & 6 cylinder versions have far out sold the v8. To say it's not a Mustang without a v8 is quite a misguided statement.

Well a man started off as a baby/boy before his balls dropped. I'd consider saying that a man is not a man till his balls at least dropped.

All jokes aside, technically the V6/Ecoboost should be the better handling Mustang because of the 100-200 pound difference in nose heavy distribution. Makes for a better handling car when it's as close to 50/50 as possible.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

I just read on Jalopnik that there will no longer be a V6 engine offered in the Mustang for next year......go big or go home, I guess.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #32
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
agree...I know the V8 is "better" in many respects (intended!) but there are car folks who for their own reasons (mostly $) have picked something other than the V8.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyzeus View Post
Good question, really. I personally think that I am enjoying every second in my V8. The sound, the handling... On the other hand let me ask your question a little different

Why the heck should I go V6 on a Mustang? Its one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) American V8 muscle car available in the market - why the heck would I go V6?? I personally do not agree to call a mustang a mustang when its not at least the cheapest version of the V8.

Don't hate me for that statement - its my personal view.

The engine size and amount of cylinders doesn't make a Mustang a Mustang.

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #34

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...stang-updates/

Heyzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I guess the question is what is the essence of a mustang? Plato's world of forms anyone?

Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT