Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Best CAI ...daily driver...won't void warranty...city driving...will see winters

Tags
cai
4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  audioAl 
#1 ·
Ok, first...sorry if this has been beat to death, but a search didn't get me what I wanted.

I have a 2015 5th Anv. GT....and was thinking about adding a CIA. ...looking for thoughts and recos!

Some details and questions...

• I have already added the Ford Racing Touring exhaust
  • I do not want to risk voiding warranties - since I am even looking at an extended warranty
  • It is my daily driver
  • It will see a lot of city driving
  • It will see Winters
  • It seems like if it doesn't need a "tune" then it will not void warranty, ..but then also seems like it doesn't add a whole lot of benefit!?
  • I see two main recos in non-tune...the Airaid and the Rousch...others
  • Are there other large "cons" (other than the warranty is issues) with adding a CIA with my parameters?
So what are the recos and why?

See less See more
#2 ·
what do you want...the best CAI that doesn't need a tune and protects wtty is the OEM unit Ford put on it.

Only put an aftermarket CAI on it if you want sound and bling...I suggest buying whatever non-tune required one you can find used/cheap.

#6 ·
Although I have no knowledge of the 15 I can tell you that my 14TrakPak was changed from the stock to an Airaid CAI and a tune. The tune made all the difference in the world and the Airaid CAI with stock tune gave a check engine light and just felt really sluggish compared to the the CAI and tune. The tune is what makes the difference...not the non stock CAI...if you want the "bling" and sound put a Roush/Shelby/FPP CAI on...IMHO

#8 ·
I have the Airaid w/o tune (tune will void warranty) on my 2015 GT. Does it bling? Yes. Does it make any performance difference? I can't say. I did add the Airaid throttle spacer. I was shocked how the spacer changed the throttle response on the lower end.

#9 ·
If you are scared to death about loosing warranty...why do you need a tune or CAI to use as your daily driver...hopefully it will be in a garage during the winter months...not sure if you have a 6spd manual or auto or what kind of gears you have. I can think of better ways to spend the money than put things on the motor that will jeopardize your warranty.
Since I am older than dirt...we had a number of sayings decades ago that if you want to go fast..."How deep are your pockets", or "It takes $$$ to play and nothing to go slow", "If you have doubts then don't do it"!...IMHO

#14 ·
I subscribe to the phrase "You can never have enough HP/TQ", that's why I do it.
Do you have a manual or automatic. If you have a manual changing gears will be a lot more fun in the city, if you have an automatic changing converters should make the Mustang more fun to drive...just some thoughts if you want to spend money and haven't done anything in a while. How about putting a Roush supercharger on the car...they say it doesn't effect your Ford warranty?

#12 ·
I've been using K&N drop in filters for decades until I saw some dyno tests that actually showed the K&N actually lost HP...not a lot but 2 or 3 is still a loss. Now I just use the stock OEM.
I can say that I used a K&N filter in the hood scoop of my Maverick drag car and did gain 0.05 seconds in my 60' time when I took it out...just some food for thought about how they do or don't perform...IMHO

#15 ·
Tunes will tend to make most dealers/wtty angry. Talk to your dealer and become friends with them. Stay friends with sales....a friend at the dealership will help.

However it sounds like mufflers/no tune cai's are all you want.

Welcome to Mevo and we expect to see pics

Mud,

#16 ·
Strange Mud brought up a really good point about making friends with your dealer at more than one level.
When I bought my Mustang I made friends with the parts department and made a point at the parts manager level...then the service department and again at the service manager level. I really never made friends with the sales guy although it wouldn't hurt...I just learned early on the sales department has less pull than the parts or service departments.
I had a tune and CAI, all of the rear suspension was aftermarket along with 1 piece drive line and Shelby hydraulic clutch reservoir.
I cut a deal with parts to buy as a jobber and would by my oil and filter through them 5/50w and would take it to the service guys for changing...they charged me $18, and I did this every 4/5000 miles. My pinion seal went out at 7,000 and they repaired it with no issues. I then had an issue with a vibration and they spent half a day trying to isolate it only to tell me to take the solid trans mount out...and never mentioned that I had a one piece drive line. I always went to service with OBD II Port do not Reflash Cover for Tuned Modifed Vehicles Import Domestic | eBay and everytime I told the service manager that it was tuned and please call me if they had to have access to the OBD port.
It does pay to become friends as Strange Mud said...IMHO

#19 ·
Nice looking engine bays!

Russ, did you actually laser etch your radiator cover? That looks cool.

Tim, on the CAI why not consider the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 coming out end of the month? If installed by Ford, maintains warranty, 50 state legal emissions with CARB number and uses GT350 CAI. That's about as Ford stock/warranty/legal as you can get. I'm sure others would tell you Steeda, Lund and other tunes probably provide more noticeable gains, but with your concerns this seems like the obvious way to go. Only downside is you are locked into premium gas if that is an issue for you. My dealer says they can't buy it, but happy to install it if you buy at Places like CJ or AM.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8A

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#21 ·
Started with the Airaid. You will notice nothing for performance. I like it better because it is a closed top and utilizes the factory cold air duct. Does not pull in hot air under hood. Also - car wash, rain the heat extractors do let water come in. With that all being said I like my new one now...oh and I raise you two.

Attachments

#25 ·
Today I'll install the Airaid "tube" w/AEM drop-in. Also remove the air box resonator and plug the hole. $214.00 is an ok price for a little more sound. I have the SVE resonator delete X-pipe. 2016 Coyote Red.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.