Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Are you guys having any issues with 2015-2016 Mustang GT (Advice)

15K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  drivinglesson 
#1 ·
Sorry for long post just need some advice....

I have 2015 Mustang GT with performance package (25 000 miles) and i have been having issues with it lately.

So i just got brand new Michelin Tires and paid $1400 for them 2 months ago ( i was already disappointed that original tires only lasted 20k miles). The dealer told me a year ago that one of my wheels was damaged and guy at tires plus that installed the new tires recently said one of my wheel was damaged/cracked. I thought nothing of it until a week later the tire started losing air. At first i thought it was a nail or something but it turns out that it was because of the crack.

So the dealer told me i had to replace the wheel and they said the warranty didnt cover it because it was probably because i hit a pot hole. Now i would know if i hit a pot hole especially one that would crack the wheel but i did not so i am pretty sure the wheel came defective with the car and the crack just kept growing until it started leaking air. Anyway they wanted $1200 for ONE wheel ...their explanation was because it was performance package and wheels are light or something. I was like no way i am paying that much i was fully prepared to buy 4 new wheels from american muscle for less then $1000 but ended up finding a retailer on ebay that was selling oem mustang wheels for $300 just like mine. I got it and had it installed for additional $100.

Right away i noticed something scraping when i am backing up and have the tires turned to the right .. also when i am turning right it would make some noise so i took it to the dealer and they looked at it and said some parts were bent and needed to be replaced...once again not covered by warranty because it was because i hit a pot hole...which i know i did not. I have no reason to lie if i did i would just say that i did and man up but i honestly have not. So that is another $883 that i have to pay not covered by warranty. I told them to go ahead and do it but my biggest concern is what is next and what if this doesnt fix the noise. When you get a new car one of the benefits is that you dont have to worry about repairs but here i am shelling out money on 1.5 year old 35k car and i feel like i am being taken advantage of and they should be covering it.

Also another thing.. when i got the car i got a maintenance plan (extra $2000 to the price) where they replace oil brakes, wipers etc as needed. Well my brakes are making really bad noise but they are saying they cant replace them because it has to be less then 3cm or something like that despite the fact that they acknowledge that it is making noise.

I am starting to feel like i am getting taken advantage of and i am paying for stuff that should be covered under warranty/maintenance plan. I am at a point where i am about to pay for brakes to be replaced my self because i hate hearing the squeeking noise. People have commented about it while driving with me and its legit embarrassing/annoying. Honestly the biggest reason i got the maintenance plan was because of the brakes because i know changing the big performance brakes would be expensive.

Have you guys been having any issues with your new Mustang GT's and do you think i should be paying for all this stuff?

I love the car and i love driving it as you can see by the miles but i am starting to get a bit nervous about it already coming up w problems. I came from owning a Honda that i got w 37k miles and i sold it with 158k miles and never had to shell out any money for a single repair so you can kinda understand why i am hating to pay for repairs on a 1.5 year old car that has warranty.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if someone else hit a pothole...ie your kid, mechanic at Ford/Jiffy Lube/Lot Boy

I can see them refusing to do the brakes but 30 seconds with a grinder/sanding pad will fix the 3 cm rule.

This is the problem with extnd wttys.....often they are "it's ok like that" and you don't get your $ back. You may want to try another dealer or what I did when they tried to tell me my bent axle was due to a pot hole I have kept on a friendly basis with my sales person and she put service in line.

#4 ·
I would call back and tell them you want the brakes replaced. If the refuse call the ford and cancel the warranty. They should pro rate it and refund the unused portion.

Warranties as a whole are a rip off. By design they have to average paying out less then the cost of the warranty or else they wouldn't do them. The major things like engine and trans are covered by the drive train warranty which is longer then 3 yr/ 36 k.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
The service manager told you that the damage to the wheel was "probably" caused by a pothole?!?
You should have insisted that he show you evidence of this supposed "pothole damage". And even if it was caused by a pothole, I would expect a nearly new car to be able to drive through a pothole without the wheels/suspension breaking.
The dealership that you are dealing with are a bunch of A-holes. Call Ford Customer Relations and explain to them the problem that you are having with the dealership, and make it very clear to them that you are extremely displeased with the vehicle and the warranty service thus far. If there is another Ford dealership nearby, tell the representative that you would like to take the car there for service.
Hopefully, you kept the defective wheel, so that you can show them the crack, and get compensated for the repairs that you already paid for.

Good luck. And keep us posted.

#7 · (Edited)
Op, if ever you have to pay out of your pocket for a repair, DON'T go to a dealer, its the most expensive place to have work done, parts and labor.
As for the brakes, I/we have that same plan for our 14 Fusion and 13 Mustang, I actually just got my stang back today for an oil change and slight vibration we braking from high speeds (Rotors)
All they did was turn them because they said they could only replace them if it excedeed Fords spec.
Same thing with the Wife's Fusion. Never again!
As someone pointed out already, your not going to get your 2k worth and nor am I.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

#8 ·
no problems with my 2015. i didnt get the extended warranty just because inwas going to starting doing mods which would void it anyway. MBRP street catbacks next weekend and CAI and Tune pretty soon after that. i agree with others, call Ford. Or call extended warranty and cancel.

#9 ·
No problems with my '16 GT P/P, but sorry to hear you are having issues. I deal with service departments at dealerships on a regular basis, and I would suggest only talking to the service manager. Next, get their full name and ask for the regional Ford service rep. Once they see you are not going to accept their diagnosis, they will usually make it right.

#10 ·
Last Thursday the light underneath the mirror that projects the pony fell out of my car. The little clip that held in it broke so it just slid out from the bottom of the mirror. Took my car in for an oil change this week and mentioned it while I was there. They had the part in stock, replaced it and it was completely covered by warranty.

Sorry to hear about the other issues. I havent had anything real bad yet but I only have 6k miles on my car. I am curious to see how the S550s hold up over time. Particularly the 2015s since they were the first year of the switch.

#13 ·
To OP...
It bothers me to no end when I hear stories like yours. I have had some very disturbing dealings with dealer service depts myself. I have adopted the philosophy to "speak softly, and carry a big stick".
Better late then never, I'd suggest whenever you have something replaced by the dealer like a faulty item, request they give you the old part.
And whenever they tell you of a problem such as bent components, make sure they show you exactly what they are and explain exactly how they came to their conclusions.

#14 ·
The AC compressor seized and the AC belt disintegrated on my car while I was deployed. I had 27k miles on the car at the time and thankfully my dealership replaced both under warranty and I had no issues dealing with them. Other than that I haven't had any issues other than my own modifications annoying me (exhaust drone, and vibration in the short-throw shifter).

#16 ·
I bought the MGW, I had it in my 12' and loved it so I went with it again. I'm almost 100% positive the vibration is coming from the shift nob itself, I just haven't gotten a new one to test the theory out yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#19 ·
UPDATE : The scraping noise is still there when i put the wheel all the way to the right or left and start backing up. I already paid $800 for this and i really dont want to dump anymore money into it. I will most likely get rid of the car before it hits 36k miles and the warranty goes out.

Can any of you with 2015 Mustang GT please check if you back up and have the wheel all the way to the right or left if there is any noise like tire scraping up against something?

#24 ·
I had this same EXACT issue. Started around 7k miles. Dealer kept trying to tell me that they couldn't reproduce the sound. It was a squealing sound like metal on metal coming from the front. Final got the dealer to put it up on a rack and low and behold one of the clips on the caliper was missing. Once that was replaced the squeal went away and has yet to return at 11K miles.

#20 ·
I just tried it both left and right and no noise or rubbing. just to say I did it, I tried normal, sport, track, and snow/wet modes. I was upstairs parking garage at work so had plenty of space.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#21 ·
I read on another forum about a guy hearing scraping noises when he turned his wheels. Turned out when his tires were rotated the wider tires got put on front, causing a clearance issue.

#23 ·
Man, sorry to hear you've had so much trouble. I would run, not walk away from that dealer. Sounds like they are trying to screw you over every chance they can. Don't forget, dealerships, or stealerships as I call them profit off parts and service, not car sales.

And those two things happen to be at the center of your problems...

As far as the scraping, could be a few things, could be none of them:

- larger brakes weren't installed correctly, would also explain the brake noises
- larger swaybar could be rubbing at full lock
- if the wheels are not balanced they could be rubbing or scraping
- as said before, staggered wheels installed backwards
- the car did hit a pot hole or something (not done by you) that caused suspension components to be damaged, end links, spindle, ball joint etc.

If you know of a trustworthy dealership or private mechanic maybe take the car there and get a second opinion. I know more and more people, myself including that trust a small time shop over the local dealership.

#29 ·
I have a 2016 GT with 24,000 miles, and I recently got a check engine light (CEL) while driving to work. I pulled the codes (P0300 and P0308), and cleard them since I didn't feel a miss. Two days later, the light was back, so I took it in for assessment. The local dealer changed the number two plug and cleared the codes; 40 miles later the CEL was back on, and I took it back to the dealer. I had searched for known issues and TSBs, and found that Ford techs were discussing this issue, and that it is caused by intake runner controls. I passed this on not expecting to be taken seriously, but to my surprise, the tech looked into it and agreed that this was likely the cause. They swapped the intake, and she is running good, so far...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.