Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Trading my 07 in for 16 (maybe)

5K views 67 replies 26 participants last post by  2011 Kona Blue 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a low mileage 07 GT convertible automatic. I've been on the fence about trading since the new 15s came out. I really like them. I have just been waiting around til the prices drop a bit. My favorite color on the new ones is the competition orange so I thought I may have missed my chance to get one but I found a 16 CO base package manual this morning at one of the local dealers with 11000 miles at a great price of 24500 so I called about it. I was able to pull car fax up and it looks like it was in a minor accident in the rear, minor meaning minimum damage or scratch, when the car was 2 months old. I'm assuming rear bumper or panel. Car has been fixed and looks great in the pics, I plan on looking at it in person tomorrow. I called about it and they said they have had it for 6 weeks now and dropped the price and are ready to move on it.

This sounds like a really good deal to me. I hate that the carfax shows an minor accident I guess that's the reason for the good deal. I'm going to go drive it tomorrow and see how she drives. Do you guys have any advice for me? I'm always a little concerned when such a new car ends back up on the lot. I'm always afraid the previous owner had problems with it and just traded it back in. Maybe not, again I'll check it out better tomorrow.

My car has been great just ready to get away from the convertible and the automatic so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade. I have test drove the new ones and wow what a difference from the 07. Thanks for any help or advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

See less See more
#2 ·
If the car was serviced by a Ford dealer during the time it was owned they will have the list of maintenance items done. You should ask for that when you visit the dealer if it's a Ford dealer that is.

#3 · (Edited)
Keep your 07 Gt and wait till Ford makes a much nicer looking generation mustang. The current generation is really not good looking and the rear end is just horrid. Hopefully, Ford will make the next Mustang to not look like a European sports coupe and an actual American pony car.

If I were in the market for a newer Mustang it would be a 13 or 14 model. If the choice was a 15 plus, I would by a Camaro. Really not a fan of the 15 plus on looks. Just my 2 cents. Stay with the S197 platform

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.

#4 · (Edited)
I just got a great deal on a very low miles 2015 GT (yellow) manual and am in love with it. It's now parked in my garage while I wait for nice days to enjoy it. CarFax showed the previous owner (first owner) only had it for 7 months after the car sat at two dealerships brand new for over a year. I bought the car out of state through my local dealer and had it shipped here. I was a bit concerned having not seen it or test driven it, but my fears disappeared the first time I laid eyes on it...it was in mint condition and drives like a dream. Maybe the previous owner got in over their head or realized the GT wasn't their thing.

I believe Ford dropped competition orange for 2017, so someday that color might be quite unique. I previously had a 2012 V6 manual and there is night and day difference between the two platforms. When the 2015s first appeared it took some time for me to like the body style - but now every time I see one it feels like I'm looking at a beautiful sexy piece of art!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#6 ·
Minor damage could be anything (dent, scratches...)
it's still under warranty, so I doubt it will cause you problems; but if/when you try to sell/trade it, remember to mention it.
Ask the dealer for a print out, if they can get info

The always gracious Rowdy Roddy Piper

#10 ·
Yea, I agree. The S550's are wider in general. Hopefully they update this chassis and will bring a little more "American Muscle" look to it, instead of that Euro-flavor twist. Kinda like they did with the 13/14's. Then again Mustang went global in 15, so I don''t know. One thing is for sure. I love my 14, It's so cool with all the re-birth of the 60's retro vibe. :popcorn:

#11 ·
I have the 15 GT and love it. starting to do mods on it. you just gotta love that IRS in it. next big mods will be upgrading to single axle and half shafts getting ready for supercharger next year. few more suspension mods before that though.

#17 ·
I traded in my 2011 GT (No option car) for a NEW 2016 Prem GT. I really do like it but I am having a hard time forgetting my 11. I would have kept my 11 but due to warranty issues and tapping motor I had to trade her in. Before TTL my price was $30,999. Sticker was $39K and some change, they were asking $35K and some change... The only thing mine does not have is the Performance Package and the blind spot nanny. Adaptive cruise and the collision warning systems are pretty cool. It does have the slightly different lower grille due to the Adaptive cruise though... I like the multiple modes of the car but I wish it would keep the modes after restarting the engine.

My biggest gripe is rocker panels, they stick out a little too far for my short self. The hoodvent blinkers make up for it though. Ford needs to hurry up and update the Sync 3 systems for Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Stock shifter needs to be replaced with an MGW and no, the shift clunk is still there. More stuff rattles in the car than my "old" one.

#19 ·
I've had every generation of Mustang, and I really love the S550. I ordered my 16 Guard Metallic this past April at the cutoff to get the Guard Metallic; I've always had a thing for Bullitt. Though the green isn't what was on Bullitt, it's awesome. That was another color that was discontinued. You won't be disappointed, it's a great car, and the best driving I've owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#20 · (Edited)
Well, I made the trade. I have had the car for 5 days now and I have been all smiles since I picked her up. I checked the car out really good, it looks great and drives unbelievable. It does have some water stain spots here and there and some micro scratches in the clear coat if the look at it under the perfect light. I'll look to get those taken care of soon.

I loved my 07 vert and loved that body style as soon as it came out. It made want one. Wasn't a big Mustang guy until the 197s came out actually. With that being said I felt the same way when I saw my 1st 15 on the lot in person. Looks will always be debatable I know, but the performance, the comfort, the ride, interior design of this car to my 07 is no comparison. I can't get over how well this car drives. And those seats, these may be the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in and I have the base package. They support you really well. For now I'm loving the car so much I don't have any plans on mods outside of some window tint and maybe axlebacks, love the car just the way she is but keep in mind i am coming from a 4.6 so this 5.0 will keep my happy for awhile. I am extremely happy with my decision and thank you guys for your input and help.

#38 ·
Well, I made the trade. I have had the car for 5 days now and I have been all smiles since I picked her up. I checked the car out really good, it looks great and drives unbelievable. It does have some water stain spots here and there and some micro scratches in the clear coat if the look at it under the perfect light. I'll look to get those taken care of soon.

I loved my 07 vert and loved that body style as soon as it came out. It made want one. Wasn't a big Mustang guy until the 197s came out actually. With that being said I felt the same way when I saw my 1st 15 on the lot in person. Looks will always be debatable I know, but the performance, the comfort, the ride, interior design of this car to my 07 is no comparison. I can't get over how well this car drives. And those seats, these may be the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in and I have the base package. They support you really well. For now I'm loving the car so much I don't have any plans on mods outside of some window tint and maybe axlebacks, love the car just the way she is but keep in mind i am coming from a 4.6 so this 5.0 will keep my happy for awhile. I am extremely happy with my decision and thank you guys for your input and help.

:dance: CONGRATS !!!

Now ... Where are the pics?

#22 ·
I had a guy stop me at the gas station today to tell me he wanted to trade in his 07 Cobra for the newer model Mustang. I told him some people weren't happy with the IRS, and he said he didn't drag race. He loved the new Mustang look, and I said test drive one and you'll love how they drive too. I have 11k on my odometer and I have zero rattles, creaks, or any issues. I love my car and my wife does too.

#23 ·
I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. I was in the Ford dealership the other day getting some touchup for my 06. I went to look at cars just for the fun of it and of course they had a 16 gt in the showroom. The salesman asked me if I wanted to sit in it. I love my car so much that at first I said no. Then I said, 'What the heck, why not.' I sat in it and looked around for a bit. Liked the seats a lot more than the ones I have in my car but I just can't get my mind around the new styling. Salesman wanted to know if I wanted to trade up and asked to see my car. I showed him it and all he said was, "Wow. That's a nice car." I love my car; have since I first got it and I just can't like the new ones. But then that's me. The new ones don't look retro enough to me.

#28 ·
Yeah, but if you love the car, why trade it in. I've never looked at the car as "What's its trade in value?" If that's the only reason I have the car, and not the fact that I love it, then I'll sell it to my son and get what I want for it and not what some salesman thinks it's worth. With that said, there is maintenance. So I have a question. My fan only blows heat when it's set at high. I'm not sure if it's the fan or just the switch on the dash. I'm thinking the latter because if it was the fan, it would be unlikely to blow heat at any setting.

#29 ·
If YOU like the new body style as I do --- I think it is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cars made today, pay no attention to those who like to rain on other's parades here. The CO one you are looking at sounds like a great deal at that price.
I would try to do three things:
1. I would ask them if they would have the previous owner give me a call.
2. I would try to talk to the body shop that did the work to see how extensive the damage was.
3. Lacking that --- do you have a friend in the body shop business? If you can have him go with you to look at the car, he will know where to look for paint lines, paint matching and over spray.

#33 ·
The 'nah, I don't like the new ones, I'll keep my old beater because I can't afford the payments etc' makes me laugh. Good point for some I guess. But I don't have a mortgage or rent, no car payments and no kids at home. So I have some cash floating around. I just like my car and quite frankly, if I was going to spend all that extra money on a car, I'd put it into mine and have a car that does really well at what I like and one that I like the looks of also. Everyone to their own. Good for you if you like them. I don't. It's sort of like telling a man who has a '56 Merc he ought to upgrade to a 2017 Ford F150 and get rid of his beater. Nah. Just having fun with you.

#42 ·
The 'nah, I don't like the new ones, I'll keep my old beater because I can't afford the payments etc' makes me laugh. Good point for some I guess. But I don't have a mortgage or rent, no car payments and no kids at home. So I have some cash floating around. I just like my car and quite frankly, if I was going to spend all that extra money on a car, I'd put it into mine and have a car that does really well at what I like and one that I like the looks of also. Everyone to their own. Good for you if you like them. I don't. It's sort of like telling a man who has a '56 Merc he ought to upgrade to a 2017 Ford F150 and get rid of his beater. Nah. Just having fun with you.
$30k for a Mustang GT isn't "all that money". So you kind of highlighted my point, you can't afford a new GT. Its ok, for some a GT is expensive. But its really a bargain barrel car for all the power, looks and handling that you get.

I love when people talk about the non enthusiasts of the S550 can't afford them that's why they don't like them. Always makes me laugh and get a good chuckle. Those old 2011 beaters.

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.
You have an 2011+, which I said I could easily see an argument to keep those. The V6's are as powerful as the previous year's GT, and the GT's are even more awesome. So you don't have an "old beater". You have a relatively new, nice car.

If I didn't just finish building & moving in to my new house, I'd have bought a GT350, but I have spent SO much money on this damn house & still have A LOT to go for new window treatments, a couple of pieces of furniture, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.