Mustang Evolution Forum banner

First ever s550 rear mount update with picture!!

14K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Recon 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I posted a couples weeks ago about my build on a 2016 s550 mustang with a rear mount turbo kit. Well its about a week out of being done and I can't wait!! Here's a small picture of where the turbo is going.

Almost done!!

Let me know what you guys thing

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey guys I posted a couples weeks ago about my build on a 2016 s550 mustang with a rear mount turbo kit. Well its about a week out of being done and I can't wait!! Here's a small picture of where the turbo is going.

Almost done!!

Awesome idea

Back up to something low = RIP
Lower car and hit sidewalk= RIP
Rear ended = RIP
Have a Texan woman sit in the car = RIFP

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#15 ·

Almost done!!

The picture of you right next to the turbo says it all lol

#18 ·
I had rear mounts on my car before. Made 700rwhp in a 3 valve. The size of the piping makes up for the distance the exhaust has to travel. I was full boost at 4K. I ran twin 57s. Downside is driving in the rain

#20 ·
So again, from a purely technical and discussion oriented standpoint, "why?"

There is plenty of room in the engine bay where no compromises in space, piping, efficiency, or adding oil return pump(s) need to be made.

If its different for different's sake, then by all means, but i just don't see the benefit here.

#29 ·
Here is a preview video!

Not my YouTube account but my buddy made this preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Be30cuXDFI

On Jan 14th she should be done!

Also, there are a ton of advantages and benefits to a rear mount some off the top of.my head are....less heat soak to plastics and rubbers and seals and metals, the rear has colder air and less dense air, the travel of the piping causes the air too cool faster, the turbo won't hit anything because I'm not lowering it, its a drag car at this point and my tuner expects it to make over 700hp.

It doesn't matter where you put your turbo as long as it gains power right?? Just trying to be unique and not be like the rest. Let's be honest this is the first turbo in the rear for a s550 mustang, I expect people to be like Wtf lol..... But I can't wait til its done and can't wait to see the results.
My instagram: bsexton302 tokeep everyone updated

#30 ·
Also, there are a ton of advantages and benefits to a rear mount some off the top of.my head are....less heat soak to plastics and rubbers and seals and metals, the rear has colder air and less dense air, the travel of the piping causes the air too cool faster, the turbo won't hit anything because I'm not lowering it, its a drag car at this point and my tuner expects it to make over 700hp.

It doesn't matter where you put your turbo as long as it gains power right?? Just trying to be unique and not be like the rest. Let's be honest this is the first turbo in the rear for a s550 mustang, I expect people to be like Wtf lol..... But I can't wait til its done and can't wait to see the results.
My instagram: bsexton302 tokeep everyone updated
I've been building and tuning turbo cars for years, and you're really grasping for straws with most of those "benefits." I really don't care for it, but i suppose at the end of the day 700 whp is all that matters. I've voiced my opinion. I'll wait for dyno results and datalogs.

#32 ·
Rear mount turbo kits aren't entirely new. A company STS Turbo was popular with Corvettes, and did some Mustangs. They went out of business though (foreclosed on business loans and bankrupt leaving a lot of people losing money on products).

The assets - including the patents - were bought by the guy who started it and sold the company. He now is starting up Squires Turbo Systems. He never did a S550, since the company was sold before the S550 came out, and STS Turbo went out of business before the S550 came out. There were a few S197's with the STS rear mount turbo.

https://www.ststurbochargers.com/sts-turbo

#36 · (Edited)
Updated notes on turbo

so Saturday 1-21-17, we mounted everything, welded everything tight we are currently checking for any leaks in the pipes or V-BANDS, we had an issue with the turbo and the oil lines but they are fixed now, all that is in the way of getting this thing done is time..... i need more time!......

WHY a rear mount turbo?!?!?
-i want the first ever rear mount working turbo kit on the s550.
-I can remove the turbo at any time and maintain my factory warranty, I did not cut or did i remove anything from the car.
-Denser air is pulled from the back, colder air= more power.
-YES the turbo will SPOOL!
-Heat soak is reduced under the hood.
-THE BAD *** SOUND IT WILL MAKE.
-I heat wrapped the whole exhaust pipe to keep in the heat
-I put multiple brackets to hold the turbo
-Turbo runs off its own oil tank with 2 pumps
THE BAD
-SPEED BUMPS
-RAIN
-getting into boost wont be instant
-its going to be loud.... lol

#37 · (Edited)
so Saturday 1-21-17, we mounted everything, welded everything tight we are currently checking for any leaks in the pipes or V-BANDS, 1. we had an issue with the turbo and the oil lines but they are fixed now, all that is in the way of getting this thing done is time..... i need more time!......

WHY a rear mount turbo?!?!?
-i want the first ever rear mount working turbo kit on the s550.
-I can remove the turbo at any time and maintain my factory warranty, I did not cut or did i remove anything from the car.
-Denser air is pulled from the back, colder air= more power.
-YES the turbo will SPOOL!
-Heat soak is reduced under the hood.
-THE BAD *** SOUND IT WILL MAKE.
-I heat wrapped the whole exhaust pipe to keep in the heat
-I put multiple brackets to hold the turbo
2. Turbo runs off its own oil tank with 2 pumps
THE BAD
-SPEED BUMPS
-RAIN
-getting into boost wont be instant
-its going to be loud.... lol
1. Was it burning the oil and smoking? Very common problem with rear mounts (lack of gravity drain from the CHRA), good that yall were able to find a fix.

2. This is a good idea as well, cuts down on oil travel and feed/return lines, as well as prevents engine damage in the event of turbo oil failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.