Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Key FOB Issues

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  kaper232 
#1 ·
My used 2015 GT came with one FOB, so I had the dealer program an additional one for me. When I picked up the car from the dealer and started it, the check engine light was on. I pulled it back around to the service door and the technician worked on it. He ultimately said that the instructions for programming a new FOB didn't mention that they needed to reset the engine codes that may come up as a result of the programming process. He took care of that for me.

I used the new FOB the next day just fine, but at the end of the day when trying to start the car I got an error saying "Key FOB not detected" and the car wouldn't start. Fortunately I was at home, so I grabbed my original FOB and it worked just fine.

I brought both FOBs with me to work today so I could have the dealer look into it. During my drive to work I heard my door locks clicking several times by themselves, and while at work I noticed out my office window that my tail lights would come on and off every few seconds, as if the car was locking/unlocking itself.

I returned to the dealer, and after some research they determined that the new FOB had the wrong batteries in it. The batteries were too strong, causing intermittent problems.

Just thought I would pass this along in case any of you experience these FOB gremlins.

See less See more
#2 ·
Update: I posted too soon! While telling a co-worker about my experience this morning I looked out the window and saw my tail lights flash again. During my discussion with the technician he said that FOBs in close proximity to each other can sometimes cause issues. I separated the FOBs in my office and so far no more flashing lights. Weird!

#5 ·
My fob is having issues with the silver decal coming off. Kind of disappointing because my car only has 8k miles on it. Although I do carry the keys more than I drive it. If anyone has seen replacement stickers or knows how to fix it that would be fantastic. Thinking about just cutting a piece of vinyl wrap and putting it on there instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#7 ·
I went to the garage earlier tonight and my rear lights were on, then clicked off. I went back into the house and the FOBs were about 18" apart. I separated them and hung one in a cabinet. No more flashing tail lights.

#8 ·
Wrong again! Went back to garage a little later and tail lights on. WTF?!? Moved the extra FOB further away from the car. Guess I'll be calling the dealer this week.

#14 ·
I think my FOB problems are finally fixed. On my third trip to the dealer they told me the new FOB was defective. They replaced it, programmed it, and so far everything is great. Crazy annoying technology that can take the fun out of owning a Mustang. Not really...nothing beats owning a Mustang!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.