A6 owners--have you tried "S" setting when you pass? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
A6 owners--have you tried "S" setting when you pass?

The 5.0 is a great engine, but admittedly, the torque peak is waaaaaay up there in the rev range at 4,700 rpm.
Although on a non-curvy two lane, I cruise in "D", I recently tried shifting to "S" right before wanting to pass slower traffic. I found that the downshifts were quicker and much firmer, the same amount of pedal press probably got two gears kick down instead of one, and holding the gas pedal held the kick down gear all the way to redline effortlessly.
In short, I liked it a lot, as it made passing easier because the engine got to its torque peak sooner, and held the rpm over that point --- seemed like without even trying.
If you haven't tried it, I think that you will like doing this too. Shift to "S" before you press/move the gas pedal.....then just listen and enjoy!
Ford also did the right thing when shifting back to "D" in that neutral is locked out -- just "click" forward and drive on.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I always drove in "S" mode, when I drove my 2014 GT Auto. Though don't press the up & down buttons as things get laggy when you go to manual Select Shift mode.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
I always drove in "S" mode, when I drove my 2014 GT Auto. Though don't press the up & down buttons as things get laggy when you go to manual Select Shift mode.
At my senior age level, "S" is a little too -- TOO -- for driving in all the time (although on a curvy back road, I find the programming nearly perfect.)
Around town and on straight highway, I do just put it in "D" and cruise. I also think that Ford has improved the programming on the A6 since 2014, as I find the shifting to be fairly quick but not overly firm. For sure, the shifting is MUCH better than an A6 I had on my 2008 Corvette. That was almost embarassingly sluggish for a premier sports car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I cruise in D then switch it to S when it comes time to shoot a gap or pass someone. S wants to hold the rpms too high for laid back commuting IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
I cruise in D then switch it to S when it comes time to shoot a gap or pass someone. S wants to hold the rpms too high for laid back commuting IMO.
Exactly! I also sometimes switch to the "S" setting on steeper hills when the trans wants to constantly shift into and out of 6th and 5th. The engine sounds a LOT happier holding at a few more rpm's in those situations.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
When cruising I use D. Climbing hills I have noticed that the transmission is held in the higher gear for what I think is too long and the engine feels like it's "lugging", at least to my ears. I've been using my paddle to force a downshift at those times, and I think my engine says thank you. That could just be me. I love "sport" mode but only when I'm alone and speeding along the back country roads of central PA. Just me and the cows.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
When cruising I use D. Climbing hills I have noticed that the transmission is held in the higher gear for what I think is too long and the engine feels like it's "lugging", at least to my ears. I've been using my paddle to force a downshift at those times, and I think my engine says thank you. That could just be me. I love "sport" mode but only when I'm alone and speeding along the back country roads of central PA. Just me and the cows.
I agree that in "D", the trans forces the engine into 6th gear and holds it there when 5th gear would sound (and serve the engine) better......Sometimes when I use the paddles shifters to do that on a hill, the trans shifts back into 6th too soon. Using the shifter handle in "S" to force the shift to 5th holds it indefinitely until shifting back into "D".
Old 07-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I agree that in "D", the trans forces the engine into 6th gear and holds it there when 5th gear would sound (and serve the engine) better......Sometimes when I use the paddles shifters to do that on a hill, the trans shifts back into 6th too soon. Using the shifter handle in "S" to force the shift to 5th holds it indefinitely until shifting back into "D".
Yes! Btw, I have a question about the "S" mode and the paddles. Once I go into the manual shift mode using the paddles is there anyway, other than going back into "D", to have the transmission go back into automatic mode?
Old 07-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yes! Btw, I have a question about the "S" mode and the paddles. Once I go into the manual shift mode using the paddles is there anyway, other than going back into "D", to have the transmission go back into automatic mode?
I don't think so. Once you've used the paddles in "S" you are stuck with your chosen gear. If you are 3rd, in "S" and having used the paddles for example, and slow to a stop without touching the paddles again. "S" will even start you off in 1st gear and STAY there......which can be kind of embarrassing as you rev to the sky (you DID know that the face of the tach turns red at redline, right?) expecting it to shift by itself.
Please don't ask me how I know.....
Old 07-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I don't think so. Once you've used the paddles in "S" you are stuck with your chosen gear. If you are 3rd, in "S" and having used the paddles for example, and slow to a stop without touching the paddles again. "S" will even start you off in 1st gear and STAY there......which can be kind of embarrassing as you rev to the sky (you DID know that the face of the tach turns red at redline, right?) expecting it to shift by itself.
Please don't ask me how I know.....
Hmm... let me just say you are not alone.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Hmm... let me just say you are not alone.
When it happened to me, I can still hear my beautiful wife asking..."what the heck was THAT?"
Old 11-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You guys are not alone haha.. or trying to turn forgetting that you manual shift so you take a turn in first and try to shift while turning is hilarious..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
You guys are not alone haha.. or trying to turn forgetting that you manual shift so you take a turn in first and try to shift while turning is hilarious..
Turning AND being stuck in first gear in “S” would add a level of complexity to the embarrassment.
Probably easier to slap the shifter back into “D” than try to find and use the paddle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT