Mustang Evolution Forum banner

A6 owners--have you tried "S" setting when you pass?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Guard 5.0 
#1 · (Edited)
The 5.0 is a great engine, but admittedly, the torque peak is waaaaaay up there in the rev range at 4,700 rpm.
Although on a non-curvy two lane, I cruise in "D", I recently tried shifting to "S" right before wanting to pass slower traffic. I found that the downshifts were quicker and much firmer, the same amount of pedal press probably got two gears kick down instead of one, and holding the gas pedal held the kick down gear all the way to redline effortlessly.
In short, I liked it a lot, as it made passing easier because the engine got to its torque peak sooner, and held the rpm over that point --- seemed like without even trying.
If you haven't tried it, I think that you will like doing this too. Shift to "S" before you press/move the gas pedal.....then just listen and enjoy!
Ford also did the right thing when shifting back to "D" in that neutral is locked out -- just "click" forward and drive on.

#3 ·
At my senior age level, "S" is a little too -- TOO -- for driving in all the time (although on a curvy back road, I find the programming nearly perfect.)
Around town and on straight highway, I do just put it in "D" and cruise. I also think that Ford has improved the programming on the A6 since 2014, as I find the shifting to be fairly quick but not overly firm. For sure, the shifting is MUCH better than an A6 I had on my 2008 Corvette. That was almost embarassingly sluggish for a premier sports car.

#5 ·
I cruise in D then switch it to S when it comes time to shoot a gap or pass someone. S wants to hold the rpms too high for laid back commuting IMO.
Exactly! I also sometimes switch to the "S" setting on steeper hills when the trans wants to constantly shift into and out of 6th and 5th. The engine sounds a LOT happier holding at a few more rpm's in those situations.

#6 ·
When cruising I use D. Climbing hills I have noticed that the transmission is held in the higher gear for what I think is too long and the engine feels like it's "lugging", at least to my ears. I've been using my paddle to force a downshift at those times, and I think my engine says thank you. That could just be me. I love "sport" mode but only when I'm alone and speeding along the back country roads of central PA. Just me and the cows.

#7 · (Edited)
I agree that in "D", the trans forces the engine into 6th gear and holds it there when 5th gear would sound (and serve the engine) better......Sometimes when I use the paddles shifters to do that on a hill, the trans shifts back into 6th too soon. Using the shifter handle in "S" to force the shift to 5th holds it indefinitely until shifting back into "D".

#13 ·
You guys are not alone haha.. or trying to turn forgetting that you manual shift so you take a turn in first and try to shift while turning is hilarious..
Turning AND being stuck in first gear in “S” would add a level of complexity to the embarrassment.:lol:
Probably easier to slap the shifter back into “D” than try to find and use the paddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.