Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Getting in to the 11s with an auto

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  jayman33 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently my auto 17 GT is still bone stock. I just wanted to know what mods are required or recommended in order for my car to be able to run 11s in the 1/4 mile. As of right now, I want to keep it NA.

#5 · (Edited)
The car will run 12.6sec (as I've shown with my manual) without too many changes. But that next 6/10ths is a lot. And, you may break some stock items.

Bama got into the mid 11's with weight reduction, tires, a tune, and headers....and then started breaking half shafts. So...I think you need to replace those if you plan on aiming for the 11's as you will eventually break them. They also had headers and a removed a lot of weight. Now, they eventually got this thing into the 10's...so you can do a lot with a N/A car (of course some nitrous, a Boss manifold, and adjustable rear suspension modifications helped hitting the 10's and eventually the 9's). Eventually, they put a supercharger on it to go even faster ;-). Basically, their supercharger is very similar to the Whipple that I'm installing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IPo-spiMWA

#6 ·
The car will run 12.6sec (as I've shown with my manual) without too many changes. But that next 6/10ths is a lot. And, you may break some stock items.

Bama got into the mid 11's with weight reduction, tires, a tune, and headers....and then started breaking half shafts. So...I think you need to replace those if you plan on aiming for the 11's as you will eventually break them. They also had headers and a removed a lot of weight. Now, they eventually got this thing into the 10's...so you can do a lot with a N/A car (of course some nitrous, a Boss manifold, and adjustable rear suspension modifications helped hitting the 10's and eventually the 9's). Eventually, they put a supercharger on it to go even faster ;-). Basically, their supercharger is very similar to the Whipple that I'm installing.
He's auto. The torque converter does a very good job of dropping times. Many claim as much as 1/2 second off 1/4 mile time.

tune = more hp
wheels & tires = less rotational mass and much better grip
torque converter = similar to what the new 10 speed auto is going to do.... keeping the car in the right RPM range longer.

He might not hit 11.9, but he will be very close with just those 3 mods.

#7 ·
He's auto. The torque converter does a very good job of dropping times. Many claim as much as 1/2 second off 1/4 mile time.

tune = more hp
wheels & tires = less rotational mass and much better grip
torque converter = similar to what the new 10 speed auto is going to do.... keeping the car in the right RPM range longer.

He might not hit 11.9, but he will be very close with just those 3 mods.
I realize he's an auto. Unfortunately Bama built a manual and so I don't have a perfect analogy. But, I think you can still break half shafts on the launch with a auto if you're launch is hard enough.

I guess if he's trying to hit 11.9 and not go any further he can forgo the half shafts.

#8 ·
sticky tires, CONVERTER, and a tune.

You cannot do this with the stock converter. The 15+ converters are a little looser than the 11-14 but, they are still too tight for this car.

#9 ·
Half shafts snap because of the stock rubber just like the last IRS half shafts did.

#11 ·
? Stock Rubber. Stock tires? I'm not sure what this means. Half shafts break because of stock tires?

I'll stop on the half shafts as I'm the only one thinking they are important. Once they break, he can tow the car home and replace them. For me, they were the first things to be replaced. I didn't want to have to tow my car home. However, I plan on making a lot of HP and breaking into the 9's possibly 8's so I knew they had to be replaced eventually. If he never gets below 11.5 or so and never pushes the car too much, then he shouldn't break them.

I agree that a tune, tires, and converter will get him in the 11's. I just figured putting up the Bama links and talking about other things would help. Once he gets into the 11's, I'm certain the next question is "how do I get into the 10's". That's the way it always goes.

I'm getting off my half shaft soap box, ok? :flowers:

#12 ·
Stock rubber bushings in the IRS. Your average Joe is not going to want a harsh ride that a properly stiffened up IRS would bring. Ford compromised in 99-04 with that IRS and filled the 15+ IRS with soft rubber again. Control arms deflect, CV joints get bound up/pop/wheel hop and SNAP.

Why I fully overhauled the IRS I put in my 00 while it was out and you really do see just how terrible the stock setups are... they are comfy tho.

Really not sure why Ford went to the IRS after nailing a damn near perfect 3 link from 05-14. Well I know why, its for the vast majority of ppl who will never mod the cars at all. IRS gives a better ride on the street. Swapping IRS in the 04-down cars is great because the 4 link is godawful and going to a TA/PBH setup or the Steeda 5 link causes their own sets of issues but they did get it right with the 05-14, the 15+ rear is a step backwards IMO.

#13 ·
Stock rubber bushings in the IRS.
Got it. Probably is a major contributing item. But, if you watch the Bama build videos you will see that they broke a half shaft on the launch. Tires hadn't even moved and they snapped the driverside shaft. Now, in all fairness they had tuned the car and had slicks on it so they were stressing things quite a bit.

As you know via the "Clone" posts, I've replaced all the rubber in my car. I replaced it with aluminum instead of other materials because of my HP goal. Regardless of what you replace them with, it certainly does eliminate all that slop back there. But, like you said...it's no where near as cushy.

Regarding the IRS...I had a chance to see the benefits first hand. At Spring Mountain raceway I was able to go for a ride with Vince LaViolette from Shelby and he drove the 2014 Super Snake and the 2015 Super Snake. The 2015 could take the corners far more aggressively and faster without getting loose in the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.