Ford Performance Power Pack 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ford Performance Power Pack 2

I had the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 installed on my 2015 PP GT last week. I thought I'd share my experiences since I'm pretty stoked now.

I chose this option because it retains the factory warranty. I would have loved to get the Power Pack 3 that includes the GT350 intake manifold, but didn't want to wait until I saved up another $1,000.

I had the kit installed at Anderson Motorsport in Clinton, IL. This was my first experience with them and it was amazing. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. Clint, their motorsport mechanic is a Mustang fanatic and was full of advice and knowledge he enjoyed sharing.

I was planning to order the kit from American Muscle but it was on back order. When I called Anderson to discuss it several weeks ago they told me they could have it in two weeks. They gave me a date when it was expected, and sure enough on that date they called to let me know it was in and we could schedule the install. They were able to get me in the very next morning.

I had them dyno the car before the install (87 octane fuel). The car is stock other than an H pipe. It dyno'd at 369 RWHP. This was my first ever experience with a dyno. Very educational and cool to see.

I then gassed up the car with 93 octane (the tune calls for 91 but the local gas station didn't offer 91).

During the install while waiting for the tune to download and install Clint happily chatted with me and shared more of his Mustang building experience.

After the install the car was put back on the dyno and ran two more times. The first pass was 387 RWHP (+18). The second pass was at 394 RWHP (+24).

I was able to watch and record all dyno runs. There was a very noticeable improvement in the aggressiveness and sound of the engine from the initial pass to the post-install passes.

The install, plus an oil change and the dyno runs totaled about $300. I consider that a great deal...plus they did not upcharge the cost of the kit.

As I was leaving the place I nearly jerked the car to a stall because the throttle response was so much better. I got out on the open road and couldn't believe how much better the car pulls. Unbelievable improvement.

That evening I drove the car to Gateway Speedway near St. Louis for open track night. I wasn't ready to track the car (never done it before), but after seeing everyone else running their cars I'm now bitten by the desire to run my car and baseline a 1/4 mile time. So my next purchase may be a better shifter (Clint highly recommended MGW) or headers. I'll probably get the shifter first and let Clint install it since it's more affordable.

I highly recommend the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 if you want a huge improvement in throttle response and overall performance for a reasonable amount of expense and still keep your factory warranty. I also highly recommend Anderson Motorsport...great organization and super staff!

I'd be interested in hearing your experience with shifters, headers and other performance mods that didn't include a super charger.

I have a feeling my bank account is about to suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You cannot run headers (longtubes) with the Power Pack. Also it doesn't not retain your factory warranty but instead knocks the powertrain down to 3/36.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Grabber - why do you say that headers can't be used with the Power Pack 2?

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Because of the new placement of the cats and or ditching the cats altogether. That has to be compensated for with a tune.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

My understanding is that the tune from the Power Pack can be modified as needed as more mods are added. I'll chat with with the technicians and see what they say. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheaton View Post
My understanding is that the tune from the Power Pack can be modified as needed as more mods are added. I'll chat with with the technicians and see what they say. Thanks.

Sure, any tune can be modified. The point is the whole point of getting a power pack, which I assume is to keep warranty, will be voided at that point. So you'll have no warranty, on top of a tune that isn't as good as a real tune.

Either get a real tune, or leave it as it is power wise.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing, the company that sells the tune doesn't modify anything besides what they sold you.

The modification you're looking for them to make is a federal offense and something they wouldn't do.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Ford Racing, the company that sells the tune doesn't modify anything besides what they sold you.

The modification you're looking for them to make is a federal offense and something they wouldn't do.

Well, not if his vehicle is "off-road only" wink wink. But yeah, asking an OEM to have an off-the-shelf calibration for a catless vehicle is probably not going to happen.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Well, not if his vehicle is "off-road only" wink wink. But yeah, asking an OEM to have an off-the-shelf calibration for a catless vehicle is probably not going to happen.
LOL

Some of the well known tuners are learing away from any calibrations that involve cats now.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Appreciate the input. I'm not planning to go purely off road...maybe an occasional track run for fun. I was thinking I'd get catted long tube headers someday...probably nearer to my warranty expiration. Just using this time to learn and experiment within the comforts of a factory warranty. Glad you both provided some valuable information!

Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheaton View Post
Appreciate the input. I'm not planning to go purely off road...maybe an occasional track run for fun. I was thinking I'd get catted long tube headers someday...probably nearer to my warranty expiration. Just using this time to learn and experiment within the comforts of a factory warranty. Glad you both provided some valuable information!

Awesome man... I did lot of modding on my v6 but not that I just got my gt I think I'm only going to do the performance pack 2 as you have just done. And maybe either roush axleback or atak not sure yet.

410 rwhp 320 ft-lbs
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #12

I'm in Canada, how do I obtain one of these? Just go to ford?

jakked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You can check with Ford. American Muscle and a few other online stores have them but they have been out of stock recently...that's why I let the Ford dealership get it for me.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #14

I will do that, thank you

jakked is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015 Mustang GT