Mustang Evolution Forum banner

A much better GT is just sitting on the shelf at Ford.

5K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 · (Edited)
Dear Ford,
You have an engine that is ready, willing and waiting to be put in the Mustang GT, the Raptor's 3.5 liter dual turbo V6. At 450 HP and 510 (!!) lb/ft of torque, it would embarrass even the new 2018 Mustang's 5.0. The new Raptor is faster than the old 6.2 liter V8 (!!) by a LOT -- and lighter and better handling as well.
Ford, you were willing to risk making this engine the top of the line in your money-making F150 line over the previously offered V8's. And now 75% of all new F150's sold (and 100% of your king of the hill Raptors) are EcoBoost V6's. Heck, even your $450,000 Ford GT has this engine....but I am not even asking for the 600 HP version that one has.....OK, that would be cool in the Shelby.....
PLEASE put this engine in the Mustang. We NEED this engine in the Mustang......and again -- this Mustang would be lighter (much less weight over the front wheels), better handling, better MPG (when we are able to stay out of the BOOST!) and:

510 lb/ft of TORQUE!!!!

Please?

#55 ·
If they are making that power with a 6 (which is not difficult today), just think about the possibilities of two more cylinders.

I know that the 6 has an efficient design, but I'm attached to the American V8. A performance 6 makes me think of the Toyota Supra (I love those cars).

Add two cylinders to the Raptor, run a twin turbo, or twin charge it, and watch the torque improve by several hundred foot pounds.

#56 ·
An interesting topic would be the ecoboost vs like the 3.8TT from Mclaren. 3.5 TT v6 vs 3.8 TT v8. What difference is there really between the two, that's an interesting thought for the whole v8 vs v6 since everything is downsizing these days anyways.

#58 · (Edited)
The name that Ford chose for their turbocharged engines, “EcoBoost”, was a brilliant marketing idea.....although in my experience you really can’t have it both ways......the engine is either “Eco” or “Boost”.
In my last F-150 with the 3.5 EB, I could get either 22 mpg or 12 mpg running around town — it was all up to my right foot, and how much I really wanted to enjoy the “boost” part of the equation.
Although the purists would, I am sure, howl like banshees — I can see a Mustang line in the future that is 2.4, 2.7, 3.5 — and other than the 2.4, all faster than the 2018 5.0.
The 3.5 could even be offered in F-150 trim and in beast mode, the Raptor version. Now, THAT would make choosing the Performance Package something meaningful — heck, even call it the GTP!
Again folks, this is an engine with 510 lb/ft of torque (out of only 213.5 cubic inches!!!) and a full factory warranty. Did you ever think you were going to see that? And the 2.7 is only 164.8 cubic inches, and makes crazy power per cubic inch. Do you remember when we thought that 100 HP/cubic liter was good for a race engine? There’s a reason that Ford made all the V6 Eco’s with completely forged internals — there is more to come from them, I am sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.